Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday Game Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,125 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

who sold the GAA coverage license to Sky and why?

I listened to today's game on the radio, partially because the local pub was too packed.. as did some other members of the family.

I would have liked to watch it in the comfort of my own home. Does this mean now, that the All Ireland semi finals and final coverage are exclusive to Sky only? This is our national game, why can it not be broadcast by our national broadcaster.

I cant even find footage of today's games on the GAA website, or RTE for that matter.

Thank you GAA for selling the viewing rights to Sky.. you complete shower

I'd say you were really pissed when you found out that the Donegal v Mayo game next Saturday is also only on Sky.

You going to have to get to that pub early next Saturday, 6pm throw in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Here's a mad idea.

Couldn't you perhaps think of attending a game?

argha sure it's on t......

oh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I'd say you were really pissed when you found out that the Donegal v Mayo game next Saturday is also only on Sky.

You going to have to get to that pub early next Saturday, 6pm throw in.

Not really, though I will admit there were a few drinks on board last night when l posted on this thread. I thought that Irish Times article that I posted was interesting all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Very Bored wrote: »
    TG4 shows a lot of NHL and NFL, are there certain counties they can't show?

RTE shows a lot of championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

iDave wrote: »
    The GAA are legally forbidden from selling All Ireland finals exclusively to a PPV broadcaster.

How do you feel about Donegal league games being only on Setanta?
    RTE shows a lot of championship.

But RTÉ aren't blocked from showing any particular county. The first post you made suggested TG4 aren't allowed to show Donegal. Which would seem strange as I would have thought Donegal is one of TG4's principal target counties.

• Advertisement

Very Bored wrote: »
    But RTÉ aren't blocked from showing any particular county. The first post you made suggested TG4 aren't allowed to show Donegal. Which would seem strange as I would have thought Donegal is one of TG4's principal target counties.

I never made any such suggestion. I just asked the lad how he felt about any Donegal league match being only on Setanta.

I never made any such suggestion. I just asked the lad how he felt about any Donegal league match being only on Setanta.

Read your first message again as it can easily be misinterpreted hence the confusion ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I thought that Irish Times article that I posted was interesting all the same.

Not particularly, the author - Paul Rouse - has shown a huge bias throughout regarding the subject matter and has regularly doctored statistics unfairly to try to force his anti-Sky view point on the wider public. His writings are basically just opinion pieces, sjmilar to Joe Brolly's opinions on Sean Cavanagh or Marty Morrissey.

Not particularly, the author - Paul Rouse - has shown a huge bias throughout regarding the subject matter and has regularly doctored statistics unfairly to try to force his anti-Sky view point on the wider public. His writings are basically just opinion pieces, sjmilar to Joe Brolly's opinions on Sean Cavanagh or Marty Morrissey.

Paul Rouse has claimed that Sky has doctored statistics in order to suit its own agenda.

Eamonn Sweeney's article in the Independent, backs Rouse's argument against the GAA - Sky deal.

article here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Paul Rouse has claimed that Sky has doctored statistics in order to suit its own agenda.

Eamonn Sweeney's article in the Independent, backs Rouse's argument against the GAA - Sky deal.

article here

Why didn't you bother going to the game?

Part of the reason for the games being sold to sky was to entice more people to go to matches if they didn't have a sky subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Part of the reason for the games being sold to sky was to entice more people to go to matches if they didn't have a sky subscription.

The SKY deal was nothing about enticing people to go to games. Showing more live games on tv would not be the right way about doing that. We can now see 2-3 qualifier games on a Saturday when previously one may have been shown.

It was a financial decision pure and simple. It wont last as it simply has not worked for SKY, although the cost is very small beans for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,125 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

dirtyden wrote: »
    The SKY deal was nothing about enticing people to go to games. Showing more live games on tv would not be the right way about doing that. We can now see 2-3 qualifier games on a Saturday when previously one may have been shown.

It was a financial decision pure and simple. It wont last as it simply has not worked for SKY, although the cost is very small beans for them.

For Sky the deal was done to try and hold on to, or increase, Irish subs during the summer, the ones that usually drop off for the EPL off season.

For the GAA the deal was done because it opened up a huge new potential market.
    Remember the Sky deal was in or around the same value as the TV3 deal, this was no windfall.

If Sky are retaining or increasing subs in Ireland because they are showing GAA then they will bid again, if not then they won't.

I have heard rumours that Sky only bought the GAA rights in an attempt to ensure Irish sky subscribers don't leave them over the summer. In the UK, most stay with Sky during the summer months because of things like cricket, but a lot were leaving Sky in Ireland apparently because the British sports covered by Sky hold very little appeal here. Don't know if its true but the rumour is there.

One of the reasons I didn't go was because of the late kick off.. 6pm is too late, I would have needed to be back in Donegal before 9pm for other reasons.

If the GAAs idea of enticing a bigger crowd to matches is by selling viewing rights to SKY, then it back-fired yesterday. I dont remember seeing Croake Park as empty in a long time.

Look, I dont want to be getting up anyone's nose by posting in this thread, my issue with the GAA selling viewing rights to SKY is this:

The GAA is an amateur association, its members devote endless hours to training, travelling to training, and travelling to fixtures... and they do this free of charge. The fact that the very organisation which players dedicate all this time and effort, are now selling the match viewing rights to a pay per view company, seem to be compromising their very own principles.

Also, now that the cost of viewing GAA matches on SKY has tripled.. many people feel that SKY are making a killing on subscription fees, while the people doing the hard work ie. the players, are not benefiting in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

One of the reasons I didn't go was because of the late kick off.. 6pm is too late, I would have needed to be back in Donegal before 9pm for other reasons.

If the GAAs idea of enticing a bigger crowd to matches is by selling viewing rights to SKY, then it back-fired yesterday. I dont remember seeing Croake Park as empty in a long time.

Look, I dont want to be getting up anyone's nose by posting in this thread, my issue with the GAA selling viewing rights to SKY is this:

The GAA is an amateur association, its members devote endless hours to training, travelling to training, and travelling to fixtures... and they do this free of charge. The fact that the very organisation which players dedicate all this time and effort, are now selling the match viewing rights to a pay per view company, seem to be compromising their very own principles.

Also, now that the cost of viewing GAA matches on SKY has tripled.. many people feel that SKY are making a killing on subscription fees, while the people doing the hard work ie. the players, are not benefiting in any way.

there would have been smaller crowds at two seperate venues for donegal v galway and tyrone v sligo

I said part of it was to do with enticing people to games and I suspect it was.

The GAA don't want as many games on TV as they claim it affects attendances at both club and county matches so the sky deal i a half way house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,862 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Isn't there a sky thread for people to moan and pontificate about sky on?

Isn't there a sky thread for people to moan and pontificate about sky on?

I didn't know, sorry for derailing this thread if that is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

The GAA isn't the only sports organisation with volunteers.Other sports have loads of volunteers and their sports are on subscription channels.

To be honest I thought the games last night should have been played at a different venue but I was surprised at the attendance at yesterdays match I thought it would have been less than 20,000 but 25,665 is pretty decent.

Last years round 4 qualifer Double header in Croke Park (Kildare v Monaghan and Armagh v Meath had an attendance of 26k )

• Advertisement

So once again how do you feel about league games being shown on a PPV basis on Setanta?

Patww79 wrote: »

Hardly... but typically the big company would buy rights primarily because its customers wanted it rather than buying it just to fill in time during a lull. For example, Sky buy the rights to the Premier League because it is one of the main features of what they, as a company, offer. What the rumour is suggesting is that they never intended to make any particularly big thing of the GAA matches and that they got them simply to elastoplast a wound if you like.

So once again how do you feel about league games being shown on a PPV basis on Setanta?

€10 per month for Setanta.. seems reasonable when you compare it to what SKY are charging.

To be really honest, I had no opinion on the subject until yesterday, when I noticed that there weren't even highlights of yesterday's matches on the RTE news.

So I read up on it online.. I read that Paul Rouse article, followed by Eamonn Sweeney's article for the Indo, and they both seemed to argue a case against awarding SKY the rights to some of these matches.

To quote Paul Rouse:
    "Ultimately, when you take away the rhetoric of serving emigrants what you are left with is the provision of a service that was already available but was now fragmented, and now cost at least three times the established price."

€10 per month for Setanta.. seems reasonable when you compare it to what SKY are charging.

To be really honest, I had no opinion on the subject until yesterday, when I noticed that there weren't even highlights of yesterday's matches on the RTE news.

So I read up on it online.. I read that Paul Rouse article, followed by Eamonn Sweeney's article for the Indo, and they both seemed to argue a case against awarding SKY the rights to some of these matches.

To quote Paul Rouse:

But all the volunteers still have to pay money regardless to watch all the GAA amatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pooor start by the Kildare forwards. Slipping and kicking poorly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

Tommy Carr is a terrible commentator. He drags any good out of a match with his comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Tommy was commending Cooper for not being selfish when on a hat-trick in spite of him having rode Kildare dry for the last 30 minutes. He's the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Cillian young drags a man down and brolly calls him focused and praises him. Sycophant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

And no black card

Advertisement