Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adam Booth on Andy Lee vs John Jackson fight in New York on Cotto-Martinez undercard

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,740 ✭✭✭✭walshb

megadodge wrote: »
    Firstly I don't think any punch can be called lucky.
    If a boxer is in a ring and throws a punch aiming to hit his opponent - and it hits his opponent???? How the hell can that be lucky? It's exactly what he meant.

If the two boxers were blindfolded and hadn't a clue where each other were and one of them connected perfectly - that would be a lucky punch in my book.

In this situation I am stunned anybody could call that shot 'lucky'.
    I agree there are desperation punches, thrown out of pure frustration or panic, but those ones are usually wild and often with the head down (Danny Garcia threw a few of them against Khan). If you look at Lee's punch however, it is a short, sweet punch. It was about as deliberate and controlled a shot as any fighter could do in those circumstances.

I agree that KO shots can be very planned and deliberate. Some shots "look" lucky. Lee's had that feel. Desperation and frustration and panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Wasn't lucky at all, he was looking for that on numerous occasions. It was a beautiful shot and one he badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Yeah lucky might not be the correct term but out of desperation sounds about right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

walshb wrote: »
    I agree that KO shots can be very planned and deliberate. Some shots "look" lucky. Lee's had that feel. Desperation and frustration and panic.

Ah thats andy lee's favourite shot, he's finished numerous opponents with that right hook....it was desperation because he was in serious trouble but it was a precise shot thrown and landed exactly as he intended, not some looping overhand thrown with his eyes closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

On recent form i'd heavily back Macklin to stop Lee, after i saw Lee vs Chavez i saw it as a very close fight with maybe the edge to Macklin. But Lee has been woeful in recent fights and hasn't look anywhere near even a top contender level. I don't think the drop in weight has done Lee good RJJ actually made a good point dropping down after loosing to Chavez was stupid because Chavez Jr is basically a LHW and it didn't show Andy to not be able for top MW's. Maybe it's a mental thing or maybe he isn't as good as before but at one time i saw Lee as a top contender who could get a world title against a weaker belt holder now i don't think he beats anyone in the top 10 at 154 should have stayed at MW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

His last good performance was against Vera nearly 3 years ago now. That night he showed great composure and kept it to an outside fight. Since then he has been dragged into inside scraps against very limited opposition like Fitzgerald and Horta. His next fight will be crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

We met Andy after the fight and naturally he was absolutely buzzing. He had time for everyone. Locals and Irish all happy for him. Photos and a great chat walking down 33rd st.

Great night at the mecca for boxing.

That punch could have saved his career.

And to cap off a great boxing week we then met Michael Moorer in Jimmy's the following night. The Champ came over, bought us a round and we had a great chat about everything but boxing!

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    And to cap off a great boxing week we then met Michael Moorer in Jimmy's the following night. The Champ came over, bought us a round and we had a great chat about everything but boxing!

So no boxing chat? Am I reading this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I think boxing is the last thing most boxers want to talk about as that's what most people ask them about. I can imagine it getting somewhat irritating.

magma69 wrote: »
    I think boxing is the last thing most boxers want to talk about as that's what most people ask them about. I can imagine it getting somewhat irritating.

So what do you talk about to a sports star that you meet by chance for the very first time? Be a bit odd if it wasn't sports (their sport) dominated. Unless of course they were very chatty and interesting on all things non boxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I asked him about beating Holyfield and he said besides the birth of his kid it was the best moment of his life. Then we swiftly moved on! Very interesting character. He's a board member here: findadream.org

Gave all of us his card and then wanted to do a face off with each of us individually. Those are cherished photos!

So what do you talk about to a sports star that you meet by chance for the very first time? Be a bit odd if it wasn't sports (their sport) dominated. Unless of course they were very chatty and interesting on all things non boxing.

Firstly, I'm not the go to man on advice with conversing with sports stars. For what it's worth, I'd imagine I'd talk to them the same way I'd talk to any non-sports star. Mention you're a fan or whatever and change the topic. Not odd at all really. It's not like they're incapable of talking about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Andy and Macklin will never happen now,Lee will be staying at light middle,andy should try a top 50 guy in next fight(just to get used to light m)and then quick turn around to top 10 after and who knows after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

Andy and Macklin will never happen now,Lee will be staying at light middle,andy should try a top 50 guy in next fight(just to get used to light m)and then quick turn around to top 10 after and who knows after this.

Don't agree with that. If the money is right Andy with go back on the Rich Tea's after training again.

Macklin v Lee has lost its appeal for me. I'd still like to see it but both these guys are past their best imo. Macklin through tough fights and a long career. Lee through losing Steward and some inexplicable deterioration of skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Will be interesting to see when and who and what weight Andy will fight next time,if he intends to stay at light middle well then he should fight all his fights at light middle,it might take a few more at this weight to get used to it.

Advertisement