Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adam Booth on Andy Lee vs John Jackson fight in New York on Cotto-Martinez undercard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

ANDY LEE - ' TALKS LIFE WITH ADAM BOOTH, FIGHTING IN NEW YORK & POTENTIAL SHOWDOWN WITH MACKLIN': http://t.co/uGWzA9dvuQ

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Anybody know roughly what time Andy steps into the ring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

I like Andy Lee, seems like a good guy anytime I have seen him doing punditry,interviews,etc., so don't mean this as a dig but Booth says before his last fight, after the Weigh in, Lee went to the cinema and ate chocolate and ice cream leaving him feeling bloated going in the ring, sounds unbelievable for a pro to do that? I'd expect better from Junior C hurlers tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Pighead wrote: »
    Anybody know roughly what time Andy steps into the ring?

2.04am box nation according to Boxing Ireland over on FB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Andy's days are numbered me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

did not see that coming lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Wow KO win for Lee!! That was out of the blue, thought he was about to go down himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

qwabercd wrote: »
    Wow KO win for Lee!! That was out of the blue, thought he was about to go down himself.

I was sure Lee was gonna get knocked out ten seconds earlier

le la rat wrote: »
    I was sure Lee was gonna get knocked out ten seconds earlier

Me too. Thought he might get knocked out of the ring he was so far in the ropes. Great bravery by Lee and perfect counter punch.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    What happened?

Lee got knocked down in first round, struggled badly until round 5 (losing every round), looked like he was about to drop himself and then caught Jackson with a great hook and knocked him clean out.

AngeGal wrote: »
    Lee got knocked down in first round, struggled badly until round 5 (losing every round), looked like he was about to drop himself and then caught Jackson with a great hook and knocked him clean out.
    Hell of a shot to knock Jackson out. He knew as soon as it landed it that the fight was over. Lee started badly but he won the second round and the fourth was close. Think the official scorecards had it 3 rounds to 1 to Jackson going into the 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

What a shot from Lee reminded me of Martinez Williams. just revived his career right there stunning KO televised on a ppv show i'd love to see him and Macklin now i feel if it doesn't happen now it won't mean anything if it does. Lee may have dropped down in weight but surely he'd go back up to MW if the Macklin fight was made big money fight and a grudge match

AngeGal wrote: »

Wow. Great that he won but that sounds a bit ominous. What sort of opponent was Jackson? Is he rated at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Did not see that coming, what a punch. Think he was only up in rd3, the rest were certainly dominated by Jackson. Great result for Lee, savage KO!

Pighead wrote: »

Some hit. His reach advantage must be insane at that weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Some hit. His reach advantage must be insane at that weight.

Jackson's knock down in the first round was pretty sweet too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Just a couple of thoughts in addition to a previous thread of mine. This fight again highlighted all of Andy Lee's defensive flaws which were clearly on display for the entire fight and the opponent was a fringe unknown guy who was able to bully and dominate Andy. Regardless of the final result Andy being dropped in the first and totally dominated illustrates that he is not right at this weight.

However that sort of one punch demolition job on a televised HBO PPV card can rejuvenate your career which is what Andy badly needed. That KO was reminiscent of Pacquaio Marquez 4 as Andy was getting drilled against the roped, then landed one Punch and Jackson collapsed face down motionless on the canvass.

Sadly the hail Mary KO does gloss over the one sided nature of the fight up until the KO but hell it makes good TV. Hope he goes back to 160 but sadly Andy is on borrowed time and will not win a world title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Gotta love the commentators. Russian,Russian,Russian, lucky punch, Russian Russian Russian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Lee is a nice boxer but he is nowhere near world level and never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Goodnight Irene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

What a shot brutal ko, KO of the year for me but i bet Froch vs Groves get's it because of the fight being such high profile. But besides the shot Andy looked poor he was very much loosing that fight and Jackson is no world level fighter. I really hate to say it but Andy Lee should cash out and fight Macklin make a good payday at least, because honestly i think he could get beaten by any top contender, maybe moving down in weight was a bad idea but for me he hasn't looked good since the Chavez fight, Anto Fitz, Horta and up to the 5th Jackson have all been very poor performances. Andy's a real nice fella and i'll very much support him no matter what but i've given up on him ever becoming a world champion just not at that level sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Personally, I dont like to see boxers celebrate when someone is still out cold. I prefer them to wait until the doctors bring the Ko'd guy back around, make sure he is ok etc. It just seems weird to me to see it.
    Great KO tho!

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I'd say he was just overcome with relief that he still had a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Current top 10 at 154. Who does Lee beat?

Canelo
    Lara
    Cotto
    Molina
    Trout
    Andrade
    Kirkland
    Charlo
    Ishe Smith
    Rabchenko

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Henno30 wrote: »
    Current top 10 at 154. Who does Lee beat?

Canelo
    Lara
    Cotto
    Molina
    Trout
    Andrade
    Kirkland
    Charlo
    Ishe Smith
    Rabchenko

Lets hope he never has to get into the ring with Kirkland, that guy would destroy him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gaybeer

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Lets hope he never has to get into the ring with Kirkland, that guy would destroy him!

Kirkland is one of the fights I would look for for Andy. Lee has a decent chin and if you get past a few rounds with Kirkland you are in with a great chance. Andy can punch a bit and kirkland can be hurt. Bring it on! I would love to see Lee fight a bit more on the front foot, establish the jab more and be more assertive.

Advertisement