Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    great lads - is there any meaning to these "zones"?

thats the zones for the rescue team .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

niallo32 wrote: »
    Each zone is 500m
    than the swim would be 2.5 k lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    ‎East Coast of Ireland Open Water Swimming‎ to Open Water Workshop & Ironman Dublin Course

These lads are currently doing a "jellie reccie" swim, search for them on FB and they will post results shortly.

They swam skins for 45mins and saw only one jellyfish- "nothing of biblical proportions":)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Great news Kurt, I seen the video but it wouldn't load for me. Fingers crossed it stays that way for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Just down to register. All very slick and smooth as you'd expect but holy Jaysus, they don't half expect to make a killing on the merchandise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Keeping my fingers crossed. Did lough cutra which had swim cancelled. Never had a swim cancelled in about 14 years of doing tri. Now it might be 2 in a row!!!

Any advice on avoiding jelly fish. Do they swim in top of water or underneath. Or what to do if stung in water?

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Keeping my fingers crossed. Did lough cutra which had swim cancelled. Never had a swim cancelled in about 14 years of doing tri. Now it might be 2 in a row!!!

Any advice on avoiding jelly fish. Do they swim in top of water or underneath. Or what to do if stung in water?

Very little you can do to avoid as you won't see them. Extra vaseline around the nose and lips, but this might end up inside your goggles and hinder sighting. Better to consider that 95%+ of your body will be covered, which greatly reduces the chances of stings, and the chance of getting stung is extremely low.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

It won't be cancelled - swim director was out there in his skins this am. Hardly newsworthy we have jelliers this time of year, what would you do for a tri in SA, Oz, NZ, FL lots of bulls, tigers and great whites. Man of war was found on a kerry beach. Better things to be focusing on, let the guys in charge do their thing. And you're in a wetsuit, cap, goggles, if you get a zap it's usually on the feet or hand.

Good luck on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Ordinarily almost everyone would agree. Trouble is that it's not a mere 'zap' they're worried about in order to raise the red flag in Sandycove.

You can get an auld zap any day of the summer swimming in that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Ordinarily almost everyone would agree. Trouble is that it's not a mere 'zap' they're worried about in order to raise the red flag in Sandycove.

You can get an auld zap any day of the summer swimming in that location.

Raising the flag in Sandycove during peak holiday season when the weather is hot helps make sure the lifeguards aren't tied up with countless stings and beach remains safe. Most problems happen with jellies when people panic as a result of getting stung or have an issue swimming to shore afterwards

Having boat cover and extra life saving duties especially for 3 hours or so of an event is much more manageable as swimmers can be pulled out within seconds of needs be.

I've been stung by several types of jellyfish and the lions main were the most painful I've been stung by but still besrsble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Have gotten stung a good few times over the years, my two cents. Take a antihistamine before you swim this will ease the reaction a little bit. You won't feel much of the sting until you hit open air, as others said put only Vaz around ankles or across foot.

If you do see one dead ahead don't freak out (I know it's easier said than done) swim straight for it and bounce off it because if you try to avoid it you will probably swim into the tentacles that sting. On a calm day they are normally at mid to bottom level but if it's a bit choppy they can be near surface. Normally I'd say stay away from buoys as they can get caught around them but they are permanent buoys not temp ones like tomorrow.

Good luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

what time is registration open to tomorrow? Ive seen 1pm and 3pm in various places

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

3 according to the last email sent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good luck all doing this - enjoy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi
    What time for first finishers tomorrow?

Good luck all.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 12,669 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Is this a true Ironman or is it a mini Ironman ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Is this a true Ironman or is it a mini Ironman ?
    A 70.3, but you'd think a full with the number of posts I've seen on FB & Twitter eg, can't wait to do my first Ironman tomorrow etc... Might sound pedantic but I wouldn't say I can't wait to do my first marathon before a half marathon. Lil more annoying when they relay too...

A 70.3 is a great accomplishment, just don't imply it's a full Ironman. Best of luck to all tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Any advice on driving from swim start to the Phoenix park to catch the running? Will that even be possible given road closures?

Best of luck to everyone racing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Any advice on driving from swim start to the Phoenix park to catch the running? Will that even be possible given road closures?

Is it possible to cross Liffey at East Link and head to North Circular Road and into Park near Garda HQ.

Or get onto M50, and turn off at Blanchardstown and head to Park from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,669 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

A 70.3, but you'd think a full with the number of posts I've seen on FB & Twitter eg, can't wait to do my first Ironman tomorrow etc... Might sound pedantic but I wouldn't say I can't wait to do my first marathon before a half marathon. Lil more annoying when they relay too...

A 70.3 is a great accomplishment, just don't imply it's a full Ironman. Best of luck to all tomorrow.

Best of luck to you tomorrow. My brother is competing as well

• Advertisement

Athlete tracker has finally started working...

Kevin Crean had an 18min swim:eek:

BMC currently 2nd overall after a blistering 2:06 bike

PK doing well with a 26min swim, 2:29 bike, currently 11th place

Tango 28min swim

Joey100 had a solid 31min swim

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Athlete tracker has finally started working...

Kevin Crean had an 18min swim:eek:

BMC currently 2nd overall after a blistering 2:06 bike

PK doing well with a 26min swim, 2:29 bike, currently 11th place

Tango 28min swim

Joey100 had a solid 31min swim

18mins... That can't be right?

mloc123 wrote: »
    18mins... That can't be right?

0:56/100m pace for 1.9k ;)

Its a timing mistake.

Its a timing mistake.

On that point the IM trackers are the worst I've seen, every single race they have huge variance in athletes paces, especially the run (PK run shows the first 4.5k at 2:40/km pace, the next 1.6k at 6:57/km pace).

Every. Single. Time.

2:25 bike for joey100... 37kph av... great result if true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'm not sure who the girl MC is but dear god :eek:

BMC looks shook obviously 100% effort gone in there.

Looks to be a quick return on the bike leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

0:56/100m pace for 1.9k ;)

Its a timing mistake.

Wondered if the course was short but time for Tango looks right for 1900

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

mloc123 wrote: »
    Wondered if the course was short but time for Tango looks right for 1900

It was bang on 1900 on my watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

2100 on my watch. But, well, em, I won't argue with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Is it only Pros that are allowed on the Podium? AG'ers finished 2 and 4, but the podium went to 1st, 3rd and 5th.

Mighty effort by BMC, he started in a different wave and finished 2nd by 15 seconds. Would have been a great race to watch if they knew there was only 15sec between the two of them. Looking at the splits BMC was closing fast on him at the end. Imagine if he could see him....
    After swim.... Collins 5 mins ahead
    After bike... Collins 4 mins ahead
    13.3k of run... Collins 3.5 mins ahead
    18.8k of run... Collins 2.5 mins ahead
    20.5k of run... Collins 1 min ahead
    Finish...Collins 15 sec ahead

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement