Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I'll be doing massage and kinesio taping at the expo the days before and on the day. Drop by and get your selves sorted out before the race

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Pro list is up - your favorites?

Pro_List.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I went to Dunnes for some throw away flip flops for Sunday morning and there's a sale on (in the Beacon at least)
    Most of the flip flops are €3. I'll be the one on Sunday in slippers, also €3

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

I went to Dunnes for some throw away flip flops for Sunday morning and there's a sale on (in the Beacon at least)
    Most of the flip flops are 3. I'll be the one on Sunday in slippers, also 3
    You were robbed. Penneys 1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Tos24

Statler wrote: »
    Could make for a fun swim...

Was in at the weekend and never seen any, water temperature has dropped again so possibly too cold for them.

Seen plenty around early July around sea point, after that little bit of sun we had.

Either way, the pro's will scare them off.

You'll be in a wetsuit. Swim with your face, hands and feet out of the water and you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

could the jellyfish possibly cause the swim portion to be cancelled though?!
    I know they are supposed to be doing a sweep of the course beforehand, but that doesn't guarantee all will be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

are the white/blue/red bags waterproof or do we need to double bag?

viperlogic wrote: »
    are the white/blue/red bags waterproof or do we need to double bag?

they should be waterproof + they should be in a tent so you're safe ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

c07 wrote: »
    I know they are supposed to be doing a sweep of the course beforehand, but that doesn't guarantee all will be caught.

I hope your taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Looks as though there's quite a few of them and several reported incidents. Dunlaoighre coco have put out a red flag warning and advised that no swimmers should enter the water.

Clearly this won't be cancelled but thinking from another angle. Lads that take out race/life insurance if on the remote chance someone gets stung and ends up having a heart attack or similar and croaking it. I wonder how their insurance would be affecred.

Good luck to all on Sunday I'll be pointing you to your bags in T1 I believe. Happy to pee on any stings ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

c07 wrote: »

if kurt is entered ( a sure thing the swim wont be happenning ) i wont even bring a wetsuit on sunday just a pair of trainiers.

I'm surprised no one has taken the opportunity to point out that we've all already been badly stung by Ironman Inc.

Have a great race everyone!

Sounds a bit ominous. We're due a spell of hot weather aswell.

"Ironman 70.3 Dublin is aware of the jellyfish warning at Sandycove. We are actively monitoring the situation and will take action if this issue persists over the coming days. The safety of the race participants is of utmost importance to us, and we have steps that we would take, should we need to take action on this issue of jellyfish in the swim section of the race course."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MyOwnSheep

Hi there,
    We were told at the Open Swim Workshop last weekend that 60 people bottled out and quit the race in the first few hundred metres last year.

I am not sure if this will be blocked as I'm using a product brand name, but Rescue Remedy pastilles are made from flowers and actually really work for anxiety. Placebo my arse, and I might know a bit more about unhelpful states of mind than many of you.

If I don't try and tell you other first-timers, I will feel guilty.

Boots keep the RR Pastilles in the travel section, not with the other RR products. They're on 3 for 2 at the mo, €7.99 for a tin of sixty. Holland and Barrett sell them too.

I take one after I brush my teeth in the morning, if I've an intimidating day ahead, and another after 45 minutes or an hour, and the same again until I forget my nerves. I find the early start taking them means the nerves don't get to build much momentum.

Good luck,
    Sarah

I would imagine for the majority the fear of drowning far outweighed the anxiety they were feeling.

You mention knowing more about unhelpful states of mind. Care to quantify your credentials because I get the distinct whiff of snake oil.

In saying that at times there is nothing better than the results of a placebo effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I would imagine for the majority the fear of drowning far outweighed the anxiety they were feeling.

You mention knowing more about unhelpful states of mind. Care to quantify your credentials because I get the distinct whiff of snake oil.

In saying that at times there is nothing better than the results of a placebo effect.

The poster could merely be admitting to be a repeat suffer of anxiety or depression.

tunney wrote: »
    The poster could merely be admitting to be a repeat suffer of anxiety or depression.

True and I'm probably being overly sceptical considering medicines were originally at least partly plant based.

However have we not all been watching the news and made aware of the repercussions of taking a supplement recommended by a stranger ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

What's parking like in and around Dun Laoghaire on the morning of the race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Guys, quick favour. I'm fdoing doing massage/kinesio taping at the expo Friday/Saturday. I've mailed them to find out detailsbbut I haven't heard back at all. Does anyone know what time the tents are open on the Friday/Saturday for race registration etc?

Thanks

thehamo wrote: »
    Guys, quick favour. I'm fdoing doing massage/kinesio taping at the expo Friday/Saturday. I've mailed them to find out detailsbbut I haven't heard back at all. Does anyone know what time the tents are open on the Friday/Saturday for race registration etc?

Thanks

Here is the schedule... http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/dublin/athletes/2016-schedule.aspx#axzz4H45EH3Qf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

9am Friday, 8am Sat according to their Facebook

thehamo wrote: »

Thanks

Screenshot_2016-08-11-23-20-05_zpsqdwakpr4.png

iwillhtfu wrote: »

You should charge your mobile phone ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

‎East Coast of Ireland Open Water Swimming‎ to Open Water Workshop & Ironman Dublin Course

These lads are currently doing a "jellie reccie" swim, search for them on FB and they will post results shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

zico10 wrote: »
    What's parking like in and around Dun Laoghaire on the morning of the race?

i parked my bike 50 m from the transition tent last year. so for bikes parking is good ;-0
    i would not drive within 2.5 k of the race start as i am sure you will walk faster.

The East Coast lads have also put up a slightly better picture of the swim course.
    13912823_1072314606150582_6016071126758866063_n.jpg?oh=b4c955fffe1bba93c23967dad3bb5c3f&oe=58578C63

The East Coast lads have also put up a slightly better picture of the swim course.

great lads - is there any meaning to these "zones"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    great lads - is there any meaning to these "zones"?

Each zone is 500m

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement