Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

There is a swim clinic on the 1/2 IM course Aug 7th, I did it last year, went quite a bit longer than the actual swim course and found it very useful for sighting and swimming that first stretch across the bay. I can't post it as I'm a new user but if you look up east coast open water swimming facebook you'll find a link to register or message me. I'm doing it again this year, might be useful for first timers or anyone unsure about the swim (don't be).

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

joey100 wrote: »
    A bump for this, looks like they have changed the bike course a bit from last year, looks to be a reverse of the loop that was done last year after the quays. No idea if this will make it easier or harder, very little climbing over the 90km (around 400m) and seems to be mainly downhill from 55km to the finish. Goes up the other side of Knockmaroon hill and down the strawberry beds, few ramps there but that seems to be the worst of it.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12334466?privacy_code=nJVBrUYLljisC2B3
    Get the climbing done early, has to be better. Knockmaroon and a bit of a drag out of Lucan, not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

joey100 wrote: »
    A bump for this, looks like they have changed the bike course a bit from last year, looks to be a reverse of the loop that was done last year after the quays. No idea if this will make it easier or harder, very little climbing over the 90km (around 400m) and seems to be mainly downhill from 55km to the finish. Goes up the other side of Knockmaroon hill and down the strawberry beds, few ramps there but that seems to be the worst of it.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12334466?privacy_code=nJVBrUYLljisC2B3
    I'd prefer that route, the big downhill in Lucan is wasted, as you have a sharp corner at the other end. Much prefer the long (shallower) downhill back into Dunboyne. From 55k onwards will be very fast. New stretch from 62k to 69k too.

They've reversed the run route from last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Shedite27 wrote: »
    They've reversed the run route from last year too.

where did you see that? According to official page that's not the case...

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, looks like they haven't updated the website yet. I work in the media, was sent a press release today with the 2016 route (attached)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 checky88

Thoughts on IM coming back to Dublin 2017? No chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

reidman wrote: »
    There is a swim clinic on the 1/2 IM course Aug 7th, I did it last year, went quite a bit longer than the actual swim course and found it very useful for sighting and swimming that first stretch across the bay. I can't post it as I'm a new user but if you look up east coast open water swimming facebook you'll find a link to register or message me. I'm doing it again this year, might be useful for first timers or anyone unsure about the swim (don't be).

Hi I am interested in doing this can you forward me on the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Hi I am interested in doing this can you forward me on the details.

you can find everything on FB Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/487741114766806/

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

checky88 wrote: »
    Thoughts on IM coming back to Dublin 2017? No chance?
    If they sell enough of this sh1t they'll be back.
    https://www.ironmanstore.com/shop?type_filter=218_242

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

rooneyjm wrote: »
    If they sell enough of this sh1t they'll be back.
    https://www.ironmanstore.com/shop?type_filter=218_242

Ah C'mon it wouldn't be Christmas without one :p

70.3_world_championship_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Last long spin done today in THAT heat. 5 hours in the saddle. 4 week brick/taper next

Not really applicable to this thread. I'm just telling everybody :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Your last race distance ride is a month out from the race?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Your last race distance ride is a month out from the race?

I'm in serious trouble if it'll take me 5 hours to do 90km :)

I'm doing a Gale Bernhardt plan. Last week was 16.5 hours. It's easy enough this week, about 12 hours next week then big drop off. Some long days ahead still but more race specific

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I see they're offering a discount on entry to TI members tomorrow 20th July 24hr only €290 as opposed to €310.

Struggling to shift entries?? Chances of a 2017 IM Dublin 70.3 slim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, looks like they haven't updated the website yet. I work in the media, was sent a press release today with the 2016 route (attached)

website needs alot of updates! Still references 2015 in some pages, fuel stations is wrong, and what fuel available is wrong

265 entry now....
    http://bit.ly/2a8vWxH

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

What are the chances decent goodie bags, mechanical support and edible post-race food this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Bit sickening to be honest. We had at least one lad that shelled out €334 for his entry last week after it went UP after July 3rd.

To bring it back down a few days later is a right kick in the stones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What is the entry cap? Is it 3000?
    Looks like less than 2000 signed up based on the entry list 11 names per page and 106 pages and about 20 relay teams.
    If I'd known price would go down I'd have got on the bike and trained earlier in the year.

Too bad the numbers look low, last year was a great event. The delay this year has to be a reason, for anyone training hard they need the event confirmed, the radio silence earlier in the year, it was in the IM calendar, then removed, is poor organisation. I still reckon if they announced a full for 2017 well in advance there would be huge interest, particularly from overseas. Here's to a great day in August!

What is the entry cap? Is it 3000?
    Looks like less than 2000 signed up based on the entry list 11 names per page and 106 pages and about 20 relay teams.
    If I'd known price would go down I'd have got on the bike and trained earlier in the year.

Last year's results show 2,437 including DNF and DNS if that's any indicator

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Anyone need a good swimmer for this? 8 minute 750metre swimmer here. If anyone wants to just cycle and run, pm me.

Waves, numbers and guide are on the site now

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Any reason why there is no mechanical support number to call again this year?

Looks like no access to T2 so that should make finding the run bag fun just off the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i was amazed how many people went the wrong way around the course last wekend ;-)
    at one stage i stopped and checked if they had changed the course direction ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

reidman wrote: »
    Looks like no access to T2 so that should make finding the run bag fun just off the bike!

They said during the live Q&A on FB last week there was access to T2 even on the morning of the race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

peter kern wrote: »
    i was amazed how many people went the wrong way around the course last wekend ;-)
    at one stage i stopped and checked if they had changed the course direction ...
    I was out for a flat spin over the weekend, happened to be going opposite direction on the course, was funny the number of people who thought about saying something to me but never did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement