Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 paletta29

5 of us have booked a camper van
    Depart Rosslare for Pembroke on Wed 14/10

Some have tickets for the Saturday 1/4, some Sunday

Time enough getting to Cardiff on the Friday afternoon we think so we'll go on a bit of a road trip from Pembroke to Cardiff for a couple of days.
    (Anyone any recommendations of where would be good craic?)

Does anyone know if any rugby clubs will be opening their doors as campsites or will we have to book into a proper one?

Leave on Monday afternoon for home

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

paletta29 wrote: »
    5 of us have booked a camper van
    Depart Rosslare for Pembroke on Wed 14/10

Some have tickets for the Saturday 1/4, some Sunday

Time enough getting to Cardiff on the Friday afternoon we think so we'll go on a bit of a road trip from Pembroke to Cardiff for a couple of days.
    (Anyone any recommendations of where would be good craic?)

Does anyone know if any rugby clubs will be opening their doors as campsites or will we have to book into a proper one?

Leave on Monday afternoon for home

Price for the camper?

€735 in total for the week
    €665 plus €70 one extra insured driver

€900 security deposit also needed as a Pre Authorisation on a credit card

Boat = €560

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

€735 in total for the week
    €665 plus €70 one extra insured driver

€900 security deposit also needed as a Pre Authorisation on a credit card

Boat = €560

There's really no reasonably priced way of doing this

No but as long as we don't wreck the van I'll be happy enough.

Works out at €400 for boat, van + match ticket each at the moment and then whatever I spend for 5 days on the sauce!

• Advertisement

No but as long as we don't wreck the van I'll be happy enough.

Works out at €400 for boat, van + match ticket each at the moment and then whatever I spend for 5 days on the sauce!

With the way the euro is going you might be spending the same again easily enough!

True

Damn Quantitative Easing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

With the way the euro is going you might be spending the same again easily enough!

MUHAHAHAHAHA

Glad I hadn't paid for anything yet now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

Quarter finals in Cardiff.

Staying in Caerphilly 45 each per night, 12km from Cardiff
    Ryanair flights to Cardiff 17-19th 185 euro
    Going to the RWC priceless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

anyone know of any airports (apart from Cardiff & Bristol) within an hour or so on a train that would be easy enough to get to cardiff from?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

wawaman wrote: »
    anyone know of any airports (apart from Cardiff & Bristol) within an hour or so on a train that would be easy enough to get to cardiff from?

Birmingham is the next nearest which is about 2 hours away.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

wawaman wrote: »

Either Birmingham or London I would assume.

Had planned on going via London, but the price of the train to get to the 6 nations match in Cardiff is £74, I can't imagine what it will be like for the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Either Birmingham or London I would assume.

Had planned on going via London, but the price of the train to get to the 6 nations match in Cardiff is £74, I can't imagine what it will be like for the WC.

Set up an email alert on the First Great Western website and they'll tell you when tickets go on sale for that weekend - usually 12 weeks in advance. The first tickets will be pretty cheap, but non-exchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gonzo89

Hello everyone,
    I'm just posting this to see if anyone knows if any of the supporters clubs are arranging a bus to any of Ireland's pool games either to Cardiff or London?
    I have tickets to Ireland's pool games against France in Cardiff and Italy in London and the potentional quarter finals in Cardiff. Flights are extortionately high on those days.
    Does anyone know of any buses arranged or would anyone have any idea if there would be sufficient interest to arrange one ourselves at a good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

I'd be interested in this too. Ferry times are not great either very late/very early to get to pembroke and then another 3-4hr drive to cardiff.

whartonstravel.com doing 1day/3day trips but haven't heard anything about them before, EUR159pp

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah there's few threads on thus already so I'll move these posts onto the older thread.

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Declanda1st

I heading over to Cardiff for the France game on Sun 11th Oct. The problem is I have to work the next day. I managed to get a Ryanair flight out of Cardiff to Dublin that night which leaves at 22:50. Match starts at 16:45.

My question is, Whats the best/cheapest/convenient way to get to Cardiff airport from the city straight after the match?
    I know Cardiff airport do an express service to the city, but does this run after the game is over?
    I've looked at using the train but the nearest station to the airport is still over 2 miles away.
    And if I needed too how hard is it to get a taxi in the city after a big match?

On a normal day this wouldn't bother me but does anyone have any experience/advice in doing this straight after a big match?
    I can't afford to miss the flight. Any help appreciated.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

With almost 9 months notice is there no way you can take the day off?

Unfortunately not

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Unfortunately not

That's rough, hopefully someone can advise you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

I wouldn't use the train as Cardiff station will be manic after the match. Book a taxi in advance - you'd probably have to pay more for the privilege but surely that's an option?

I wouldn't use the train as Cardiff station will be manic after the match. Book a taxi in advance - you'd probably have to pay more for the privilege but surely that's an option?

Thats probably my only option. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30 paddy138

This could of been asked before, so i apologise in advance if so.
    Prices for flights into Bristol for the saturday and home on the monday after the ireland v france game are roughly €600.
    Which is ridiculous. So i was looking at london. Flights in or around €200 and accomodation around bristol at that time would be same as london. Now the train times schedule isnt done until october so its hard to get an exact price but roughly €100 from london to cardiff on a train. I could probaly save myself 3-400.
    Is anyone else doing it this way or am i mad to try this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

paddy138 wrote: »
    Prices for flights into Bristol for the saturday and home on the monday after the ireland v france game are roughly €600.
    Which is ridiculous. So i was looking at london. Flights in or around €200 and accomodation around bristol at that time would be same as london. Now the train times schedule isnt done until october so its hard to get an exact price but roughly €100 from london to cardiff on a train. I could probaly save myself 3-400.

Just to give a heads up, we went to Cardiff last year for the European Final.

Booked tickets before I seen flights to Cardiff and went mad then! We did fly into Bristol but flights out were mad so flew home from Stanstead :o. We stayed in Bristol and got the Megabus to Cardiff for like £2 each, and back again that night. Journey is approx an hour in heavy traffic on a bus.

Flying from Stanstead, so we got the Megabus from Bristol to London for £7 each next day. Took 2 and a half hours. Dropped us at Kings Cross.

Big comfy buses with wifi!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

paddy138 wrote: »

I will be flying via London for all of the Irish matches. its easier since I am based in Cork and Are Lingus prices into bristol are outrages. More then likely it will be bus or train once they start taking bookers or if I find enough people I will rent a car.

The downside for me is that its the middle if Income Tax season, so no time off. Over and back as fast as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 paddy138

well i just booked with ryanair there for going over saturday morning to gatwick, and back to dublin from gatwick on monday morning after france v ireland game, for €155 for me and the wife with 1 bag checked. saving nearly €450-500 on flights alone. Staying in a hotel on oxford street for the same price as a half decent hotel i could find in bristol. Now i know i have to pay for trains etc, but im still saving over €300 doing it this way, plus the wife gets a full day shopping in London. So its a win win for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Waynesireland

Has the ferry been booked up at this stage?
    Can I ask the question, myself and 4 lads are heading over in the ferry for the French game and we are going to stay until the 20th to take in the quarter final (fingers crossed Ireland will be included!), would you recommend staying around Cardiff for week between games or where would be good spots to hit with the van mid week? I imagine there will be good crowds around during week also and a bit of craic and who knows maybe a tipple or two to be had but any advice on best places to visit and spend night mid week would be really appreciated!
    COME ON IRELAND!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

heading to the Romania game.

Managed to get flights for 50 quid on Ryanair on the thursday. Staying till the following wednesday. Airbnb'd an apartment in Westminister for 315 sheets a head. 365 in total for a week in Central london

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For people staying in London for the Cardiff games - it looks like the MRSC London branch will be running buses to and from Cardiff for them. Might be worth getting on their mailing list to find out further details when they are available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

Just got tickets and accommodation for the France game in Cardiff for my 30th birthday. Could not be happier!!!

Advertisement