Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Connect residential customer base acquired by Vodafone Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

does vodafone block some kind of ports as i have satellite box which has on demand, access to browser etc and since i changed the login details on my hub from utv to voda it wont work, i have reset both satellite box and hub?

deaglan169 wrote: »
    does vodafone block some kind of ports as i have satellite box which has on demand, access to browser etc and since i changed the login details on my hub from utv to voda it wont work, i have reset both satellite box and hub?

I had this issue with my Sky box, I Used the WPS settings on the router and then pressed the button on the Sky menu for it to find my WPS details. Everything was found except it said Failed for On Demand.

I just unplugged the Sky box, waited 30 seconds and then plugged everything back in.

This time on Demand worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

"On demand "can be a little temperamental. I am with SKY for all ,BB as well. Found sometimes "on demand "does not connect. So I have to reset. Can take several attempts to reconnect. Really do not know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

i had to reset box a few times and re-enter all the details again but got it going eventually

Yes, it is a "pain in the butt"..
    Airuser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Required Field

chasm wrote: »
    So, i finally have a freepost address to return my VF Modem to. Am now awaiting a reply from UTV regarding what procedure i am expected to follow if i wish to switch to a different provider.

Would you mind sharing that FP address or PMing it to me?

I phoned UTV on 3rd of June to say I did not want to be moved over to Vodafone and was closing the account, after receiving the lovely letter telling me that they were putting me on a more expensive package and taking over our landline service (which wasn't even a part of my UTV package to begin with).

And then received my shiny new modem and Welcome to Vodafone! letter this morning. Phoned UTV again just there and was told my account would definitely be closed from Monday.

Bloke on the phone said Vodafone would be in touch with me about sending back the modem but at this stage I'm anticipating them effing up again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭chasm

They posted it on their talk to forum so it should be OK to put it up here

FREEPOST (License ID 586259)
    Fonua
    Unit 2
    77 Furze Road
    Sandyford
    Dublin 15

I have emailed UTV twice and have received no reply from them. Almost 10 years as a customer and this is how they treat ya when they exit the market. I am assuming that as I have my UAN I can just pick a provider and move.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭trurl

I was with UTV for 7+ years, got fibre with them last autumn. So I called them first, if I can move freely, and I was told yes, sure. Based on my experience with Vodafone's customer "service", I decided to go somewhere else (it was also more expensive with less features). I have my TV with Sky, but they can't give me phone and internet becuase my line is already was upgraded to fibre. My other idea was Eircom, but only until I had a look at their prices. I also have Phonewatch, which requires an analogue line - or so I thought, but i can get a GSM module, or just tell the unit not to wait for a dialtone before dialling out.
    So, after all this I signed up with UPC on Friday, I got my modem on Saturday, technician coming out on Monday, and can fill out the form to move my phone away from UTV before Vodafone takes it over. Then I just bring back the modem to Vodafone, they are in the next building to where I work.

What have I lost in the process: my fixed IP address (was 1€ extra per month with UTV), my analogue line and the cheap calls to my dedicated country.
    What have I gained in the process: new hole in the wall (UPC has their own cable), 120 Mbit instead of 70, and got locked in a contract for 18 months.

I don't think I'm in a better position than I was 7 years ago. Progress in technology and competition driving down prices? me @rse.

Truro,

I agree with you. With Sky for BB and Phone. Have a very good phone package with them. ie can call US mobiles for free( family live there) . Moving to any other ISP would cost me money.

Speeds etc may increase, but some moving can cost money

• Registered Users Posts: 25 crocked77

Ok got a call from my parents yesterday that they had received a package from Vodafone. That's when I discovered Vodafone had bought the customer base.

I've had UTV for years but only with unlimted broadband. Vodafone have apparently selected Home Extra which is nice but i don't see how it will work as my parents have Eircom for phone calls and I assume they can't simply take this over or can they??

Being honest the offer they have isn't bad (if I could convince my parents) but even if I wanted to cancel Eircom this would take 30 days where we're paying for both services so it looks like we will change to ericom at least in teh short term but this means my parents will have no internet for a while. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the offer from Eircom?

Does anyone know what the process is for refusing the Vodafone offer is as I assume I must do it tomorrow?

The other problem is I'm out of the country so no support number is useful for me as they are all 1890 which don't work outside Ireland. I sent an email to UTV about 3 months ago asking them for a number but got no response unfortunately.

In general it's a pity as UTV were good especially with support over the years but at the end life goes on.

• Advertisement

Ok now I'm confused.

Eircom Broadband Advanced Unlimited is 50 Euros a month but eFibre Unlimited is 45 Euros a month.

So you pay more for the fact they haven't rolled out eFibre completely and I assume you can't switch to the cheaper package at all. With UTV this was possible as long as your original contract was up. Does anyone know if it is possible with Eircom?

Unfortunately I can't get eFibre Unlimited yet as Efibre is not yet available where my parents at least until august allegedly ( though I usually allow 12 months leeway based on previous experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

trurl wrote: »
    What have I gained in the process: new hole in the wall (UPC has their own cable), 120 Mbit instead of 70, and got locked in a contract for 18 months.

I don't think I'm in a better position than I was 7 years ago. Progress in technology and competition driving down prices? me @rse.

So you are getting 120Mb and you reckon you aren't any better off than 7 years ago?

crocked77 wrote: »
    Ok now I'm confused.

Eircom Broadband Advanced Unlimited is 50 Euros a month but eFibre Unlimited is 45 Euros a month.

So you pay more for the fact they haven't rolled out eFibre completely and I assume you can't switch to the cheaper package at all. With UTV this was possible as long as your original contract was up. Does anyone know if it is possible with Eircom?

Unfortunately I can't get eFibre Unlimited yet as Efibre is not yet available where my parents at least until august allegedly ( though I usually allow 12 months leeway based on previous experience).

I signed up online with Eircom the other day. The "standard" price of the packages seems to be €50 but they are running an offer where you get a discount for buying online and a discount for going unlimited, so all packages seem to be €30 for the first 6 months and then €45 thereafter. I worked out that over the 18 month contract period i will be paying the same as i paid UTV. I lose my free evening and weekend UK calls (which i hardly ever used) but i get 30 mins free calls to all mobiles - which i will use.

If you click on the link and scroll down and click on "Other useful information and promotions explained" it explains it better than i have ;)
    https://www.eircom.net/broadband/ngbProductDetails

chasm wrote: »
    I signed up online with Eircom the other day. The "standard" price of the packages seems to be €50 but they are running an offer where you get a discount for buying online and a discount for going unlimited, so all packages seem to be €30 for the first 6 months and then €45 thereafter.

Thanks for that but my problem is if you select the NGB unlimited and add your phone number the price goes up from 45 to 50 euros so I'm not sure if I should still do it online and try and correct it over the phone?

Do you know it the 8c mobile phone option is still available as my mother uses that a lot as I don't see it in the options.

Thanks for that but my problem is if you select the NGB unlimited and add your phone number the price goes up from 45 to 50 euros so I'm not sure if I should still do it online and try and correct it over the phone?

Do you know it the 8c mobile phone option is still available as my mother uses that a lot as I don't see it in the options.

That's strange. When you select NGB are you sure it's definitely the unlimited option, I'm sure I added the option for unlimited after for my efibre package.
    I am not sure about the 8c mobile phone option. Was that an add on ? If they still do it, it should be listed in their price list in the small print at the bottom of the page.

That's strange. When you select NGB are you sure it's definitely the unlimited option, I'm sure I added the option for unlimited after for my efibre package.
    I am not sure about the 8c mobile phone option. Was that an add on ? If they still do it, it should be listed in their price list in the small print at the bottom of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Did anyone get anything from Vodafone regarding our potential online accounts? You know, where we get to check our bandwith and bills and such?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Azhrei wrote: »
    Did anyone get anything from Vodafone regarding our potential online accounts? You know, where we get to check our bandwith and bills and such?

It's in the 'Welcome to Vodaphone at Home' booklet that comes with the router: (pg.6) My Vodaphone at Home Self-Care

Registering is easy too. All you need is your email address , home phone number and customer number. You'll find your customer number on your first bill which you'll receive in July. It's usually 8 digits long.

Just head to vodaphone.ie/athomeselfcare, click 'Register now', and enter your details ...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭INFODAD

So it's July first my utv router still works it's the so called d day so can someone please tell me what happens next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

INFODAD wrote: »
    So it's July first my utv router still works it's the so called d day so can someone please tell me what happens next?

Of course your utv router works, any router will work unless you move to fibre, then you need a new socket and fibre capable router. All that happened at midnight, was that your account switched to Vodafone and your now on their terms unless you quickly tell them otherwise. My Vodafone router is still in the box and will stay there, until I decide to upgrade to fibre ( my area was fibre enabled only a few weeks ago ).

• Advertisement

galtee boy wrote: »
    Of course your utv router works, any router will work unless you move to fibre, then you need a new socket and fibre capable router. All that happened at midnight, was that your account switched to Vodafone and your now on their terms unless you quickly tell them otherwise. My Vodafone router is still in the box and will stay there, until I decide to upgrade to fibre ( my area was fibre enabled only a few weeks ago ).

Oh so what was the point of the new router was that just for fibre? I'm glad if that's the case the router is a big honking thing much prefer my nice neat netgear. Thanks for the feedback

Oh so what was the point of the new router was that just for fibre? I'm glad if that's the case the router is a big honking thing much prefer my nice neat netgear. Thanks for the feedback

I'm open to correction, but I read the booklet that came with the Vodafone router and I'm pretty sure it will work with both adsl and fibre. My current router didn't even come from UTV, I bought it in a local computer shop a few year's ago and it's still working fine, including this morning. I'm not sure why Vodafone sent out their routers, unless it's future proofing for fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have fibre broadband and I got a router from Vodafone, tried to get it to work yesterday but it wouldn't. My UTV Connect router is still working away and I have not got a text from Vodafone to change it.

I'm open to correction, but I read the booklet that came with the Vodafone router and I'm pretty sure it will work with both adsl and fibre. My current router didn't even come from UTV, I bought it in a local computer shop a few year's ago and it's still working fine, including this morning. I'm not sure why Vodafone sent out their routers, unless it's future proofing for fibre.

Oh ok maybe for the future. I would love fibre but it may take some time to come to my area I pay for 24mb but only get between 12 and 15 which is better than a lot of places I know.

Oh ok maybe for the future. I would love fibre but it may take some time to come to my area I pay for 24mb but only get between 12 and 15 which is better than a lot of places I know.

I've no experience yet of fibre, but people tell me that for normal web surfing, you don't see a huge difference between say 10mb and 40 mb, it's when you want to download load a movie or upload a file etc, that you see the difference that the higher mbs make.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Required Field

I've phoned UTV twice to say I didn't want to continue the account once the switchover happened. I was told it would be closed on Monday... yet here I am, and it still works. I'm having visions of Vodafone raiding my direct debit for a "cancellation fee" for a service I never accepted or wanted...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

The Huawei HG658c will auto-detect if it is connection is ADSL or VDSL and works for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LaFleur

I'm currently a UTV customer, well I was one.

I phoned Vodafone earlier today to see what the situation was. I have to say their call centre staff are dreadful. One guy I spoke sounded bored and like he didn't even want to take the call. He told me I should plug in my modem this evening when I got home as all was now transferred to Vodafone.

I did that when I got home, but the red internet light came, and stayed on. I rang tech support and again brutal call centre staff. Asking why I had plugged in the new modem and why hadn't I waited for an engineer to visit?? I asked the chap why I needed an engineer. He told me it was because the engineer would turn on the fiber broadband. I informed him I already had fiber previously with UTV. He got flustered then and had to go off and check what to say next. Dreadful. Apparently I now have to wait for a text to say to swap out the modem. Is this true? Anyone else getting this wonderful customer service from Vodafone?

• Advertisement

My Vodafone crawled to a pathetic 0.01mps for two hours this afternoon.

Not impressed for the first official day of their service!

Advertisement