Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Connect residential customer base acquired by Vodafone Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭chasm

Do i have to ring the 1890 number which was on the letter i received or can i just phone vodafone's 1800 number?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

INFODAD wrote: »
    With respect sully you would be mad to agree anything with these people so far and your right about the vp staff they don't seem to have any clue about what's going on so how could anyone agree to anything with them on that basis?

Because it's not a Voda issue, lots of companies have this issue. Once you know the package you are on, it's exact content and it's exact contract terms and once it matches the website (because it's unlikely any company would tailor a plan outside of the main packages) than you're AOK.

I had difficulties once signed up but I knew what package I was on and what it was for. I just kept on top of it and double checked with them to ensure that's what they ended up finally giving me.
    chasm wrote: »
    Do i have to ring the 1890 number which was on the letter i received or can i just phone vodafone's 1800 number?

I rang the number on the website anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭INFODAD

I would say it makes no odds they are all the same pretty much clueless or in the dark about exactly what's going on.but that's just my personal opinion

Thanks, it's just the 1890 number given in the letter from Vodafone is for UTV, (whom i assume redirect you to VF?) The 1800 number is Vodafone. Wasn't sure if it mattered, and tbh i'd prefer to call the freefone number :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ObsidianOrder

Thanks, it's just the 1890 number given in the letter from Vodafone is for UTV, (whom i assume redirect you to VF?) The 1800 number is Vodafone. Wasn't sure if it mattered, and tbh i'd prefer to call the freefone number :D

I agree that VF staff don't really seem to know what they're talking about on the changeover, but I have received nothing to imply a contract with a fixed period is beginning anew.

In fact, on four different phone calls I have been assured by VF staff (and UTV Connect staff while they remain in existence) that there is no minimum period in which I must stay with VF post-July 1st, and can leave at any time by giving 30 days notice.

While I may be under contract with VF, if the quite senior manager I spoke to is correct, it is viewed as "month-to-month."

I never meant to imply we weren't under contract to VF as the new owners, but it certainly does seem that UTV customers who are outside of their original fixed contract period are not locked to VF for a further set, unmoveable period from July 1st.

And if that does turn out to be the case, VF will never be able to hold customers who have been told otherwise to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I agree that VF staff don't really seem to know what they're talking about on the changeover, but I have received nothing to imply a contract with a fixed period is beginning anew.

In fact, on four different phone calls I have been assured by VF staff (and UTV Connect staff while they remain in existence) that there is no minimum period in which I must stay with VF post-July 1st, and can leave at any time by giving 30 days notice.

While I may be under contract with VF, if the quite senior manager I spoke to is correct, it is viewed as "month-to-month."

I never meant to imply we weren't under contract to VF as the new owners, but it certainly does seem that UTV customers who are outside of their original fixed contract period are not locked to VF for a further set, unmoveable period from July 1st.

And if that does turn out to be the case, VF will never be able to hold customers who have been told otherwise to it.

Interesting. If you don't agree to a new contract, then technically you would be in a rolling contract - that happens in mobile phone contracts and general contracts that go outside their remit. I assumed that Voda were saying that by not rejecting a new contract you were therefore agreeing to the one proposed, because they were taking over UTV and directly changing your plan. So no rolling contract.

Maybe, but that's not what either VF or UTV are saying and I was expressly told by a senior manager that I was moving to a month-to-month rolling contract from UTV, to the point where even my payment (not a direct debit) will stay as is.

I agree the letter could be taken as either rolling or VF saying by not responding or changing package you agreed to a new contract with them, but it doesn't sound like a newly established contract to me. Certainly nothing new signed, and I reckon anyone out of minimum contract period with UTV who are unhappy with VF down the line wouldn't have any difficultly leaving with 30 days notice, even if VF tried to claim otherwise.

If I turned out to be unhappy - hopefully not - I certainly will be quoting all the staff I spoke to (call times, dates etc) who plainly told me I wasn't entering a new contract, no new fixed minimum period with VF and could move on to a new provider (say, Eircom) by just giving 30 days' notice.

Since they record all calls for training and security purposes, they won't be able to say otherwise... hopefully!

But then despite appalling customer service, I do believe the product and speeds of broadband should be better than they were in the UTV era.

Got my broadband modem from vodaphone today anyone else get this today?

Got my broadband modem from vodaphone today anyone else get this today?

Got mine today too, i havent even decided if i am staying with them yet!

Got mine today too, i havent even decided if i am staying with them yet!

Yep same here. If what they said to me on the phone regarding my contract with then ie 30 day rolling for the time being and my anytime calls payment method etc etc are honoured and of course the broadband speed is up to scratch yes then I'll stay and why not. But if things go South it will be bye bye. Hopefully it will work out fine. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Yep same here. If what they said to me on the phone regarding my contract with then ie 30 day rolling for the time being and my anytime calls payment method etc etc are honoured and of course the broadband speed is up to scratch yes then I'll stay and why not. But if things go South it will be bye bye. Hopefully it will work out fine. Fingers crossed.

You won't notice much of a difference with Broadband, if at all, because they all used eircom's line and all are in eircom's exchanges. I'd suspect, but I could be wrong, UTV were using Vodafone's equipment in the exchanges and not their own.

Same attitude here. Was told the exact same thing. That's my plan too - give them two months to be sure the changeover has happened, give it some good before/after tests (lots of speedtest.nets saved!) and see how it turns out.

Not having to sign up to a direct debit either way is a plus as well.

Glad someone else got the 30-day rolling spiel - so that's helpful to use if I need to get out as well.

Sully wrote: »
    You won't notice much of a difference with Broadband, if at all, because they all used eircom's line and all are in eircom's exchanges. I'd suspect, but I could be wrong, UTV were using Vodafone's equipment in the exchanges and not their own.

They do offer fiber connection though - isn't it likely that down the line (if not at first) they will be able to provide better speeds than UTV (who didn't offer fiber).

They do offer fiber connection though - isn't it likely that down the line (if not at first) they will be able to provide better speeds than UTV (who didn't offer fiber).

Well yeah, but I mean in terms of the existing broadband services. The fibre is different, and yes, you can upgrade and getter much better speeds if available in your area.

Well yeah, but I mean in terms of the existing broadband services. The fibre is different, and yes, you can upgrade and getter much better speeds if available in your area.

Fair enough. I was half-hoping the move to full VF ownership might result in a boost where UTV service/equipment was substandard. (They suggest up to 24MB on my line - which looked like it struggled to peak over 5MB most of the time - but yes, it could be that that number is a "potential" one for which you'll pay a lot more, or at the very least switch onto.)

Utv did offer fibre - I moved to a fibre package earlier this year with them.

Ah, didn't realise they did. Must've been very limited in area then. Certainly wasn't in mine... (next to a massive technological park!)

got my modem today, all connected and working, very plug and play.

The only thing I dont like is the constant flashing of led lights!

Ah, didn't realise they did. Must've been very limited in area then. Certainly wasn't in mine... (next to a massive technological park!)

As far as i know they used Eircom lines, and it was available in any fibre enabled area. I think they only started doing it late last year or early this year. I only became aware when i was looking to reduce my bills- i was on an olf 24mb package and found i could get a better deal switching to their fibre package.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ipnet

It might be coincidence but pretty much a few days after the announcement of the Vodafone takeover, at peak times my download speed dropped to half of what it originally was. I've raised it with UTV and technical support said it's likely to be a contention issue at the exchange. However they could neither confirm or deny it had anything to do with Vodafone. A neighbor of mine who is also with UTV is having the exact same problems. I have a suspicion that whatever back-haul I was on from the exchange has now being switched to Vodafone's which is clearly more contented.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I was half-hoping the move to full VF ownership might result in a boost where UTV service/equipment was substandard. (They suggest up to 24MB on my line - which looked like it struggled to peak over 5MB most of the time - but yes, it could be that that number is a "potential" one for which you'll pay a lot more, or at the very least switch onto.)

The issue with line speed is your distance to the exchange and line quality. I don't think other equipment would make any difference to the quality of the connection - apart from congestion maybe.

They had stopped doing fibre recently, not sure when exactly but when it became available in my area UTV told me they weren't doing it.
    ipnet wrote: »
    It might be coincidence but pretty much a few days after the announcement of the Vodafone takeover, at peak times my download speed dropped to half of what it originally was. I've raised it with UTV and technical support said it's likely to be a contention issue at the exchange. However they could neither confirm or deny it had anything to do with Vodafone. A neighbor of mine who is also with UTV is having the exact same problems. I have a suspicion that whatever back-haul I was on from the exchange has now being switched to Vodafone's which is clearly more contented.

Well before it was announced, my speeds with UTV were all over the shop. UTV at the start got onto eircom and confirmed it was an issue with congestion in the exchange but nobody would say whether it was overall with eircom or with UTV. It was fixed, briefly, before going again and the second time UTV didn't respond to me or ComReg until last week or so - several weeks after I made a complaint.

I would say they stopped offering fibre (and other packages) to customers once they knew they were leaving the market.

Regarding speed etc, i have to say since i switched to the fibre package my speeds etc had been consistant and stable. I was pleased with the router too. Not looking forward to setting my wifi printer up again once i switch providers - it was an ordeal in itself!

Have to say as long as I get the same as I get with utv I'll be happy. I noticed a drop off in speed before this was all announced a few weeks ago so I started complaining to utv for the first time in 10 years. It lasted about a week or two but it's back up again so I'm happy. It's only if I start having problems I'll consider jumping ship. Let's just wait and see.

Well i'm off to see what the other providers will offer me, just off the phone to them and if i want a cheaper/different package with VF i lose the discount they offered, have to wait now to see how they want to collect their Modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

got my modem today, all connected and working, very plug and play.

The only thing I dont like is the constant flashing of led lights!

Got mine today also, but at work, so can't hook it up until tonight. Sounds easy to set up, can I ask if this modem will work for fibre broadband ? My area was fibre enabled a few weeks ago, but didn't bother with it, as I knew the switch to Vodafone from UTV was on the way. I would like to move to fibre now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

galtee boy wrote: »
    Got mine today also, but at work, so can't hook it up until tonight. Sounds easy to set up, can I ask if this modem will work for fibre broadband ? My area was fibre enabled a few weeks ago, but didn't bother with it, as I knew the switch to Vodafone from UTV was on the way. I would like to move to fibre now though.

You need to ring Vodafone to upgrade to fibre. A new socket need to be installed by an technician.

Well i'm off to see what the other providers will offer me, just off the phone to them and if i want a cheaper/different package with VF i lose the discount they offered, have to wait now to see how they want to collect their Modem.

I Got my modem today would you recommend I ring them to verify my package before I install the modem?

I Got my modem today would you recommend I ring them to verify my package before I install the modem?

This was my first contact with them regarding the letters they sent out, i had hoped to get a more suitable package and use the €3 discount mentioned in the letter but no joy so i will take my money elsewhere. Probably not a bad thing i was ages waiting to get through via sales!
    You could always go on the "Ask vodafone" forum here on boards and request an email confirming your package? I

This was my first contact with them regarding the letters they sent out, i had hoped to get a more suitable package and use the €3 discount mentioned in the letter but no joy so i will take my money elsewhere. Probably not a bad thing i was ages waiting to get through via sales!
    You could always go on the "Ask vodafone" forum here on boards and request an email confirming your package? I

I've been In contact with them several times already. And they say all will be well but maybe I should like you said get a confirmation email first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

I've been In contact with them several times already. And they say all will be well but maybe I should like you said get a confirmation email first.

Would agree that you confirm everything. Keep notes of all dealings with VF.

Advertisement