Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

You could / should walk the water stations - you're more likely to actually get the fluids you need into you whilst also having a few seconds recovery.
    Regardless of the time I am aiming for, I always walk the water stations

Bill Rodgers did that back in the 80s and didn't do too badly (2.09 and a 3 New York Marathon wins) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Thanks for the vote of confidence .

I wasn’t thinking of walking - it was more to give myself an incentive to keep going . Like if I do 5k @ MP I could have a 30/60 sec break at MP + 30 secs!

If you’ve trained well for an appropriate MP, you shouldn’t need a break from it. You slow a bit on the ups, make up on the downs. Why introduce something new at this late stage? Back yourself! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Murph_D wrote: »
    If you’ve trained well for an appropriate MP, you shouldn’t need a break from it. You slow a bit on the ups, make up on the downs. Why introduce something new at this late stage? Back yourself! Good luck.

My training plan had a lot of intervals and the little jog between reps was always a nice incentive to keep moving - I thought it might be helpful mentally In a marathon situation

On a completely different topic - I’ve seen a base building boards plan referred to on many logs that seems very successful. Where can I get my hands on this ? Is it recommended for a person coming back from injury wanting to build up fitness again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

On a completely different topic - I’ve seen a base building boards plan referred to on many logs that seems very successful. Where can I get my hands on this ? Is it recommended for a person coming back from injury wanting to build up fitness again?

Would it be the 6 week base phase of the 2016 grads plan you're referring to? I've always done it before the other sections of the spreadsheet. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LOkLQ_a9NHWe97yaRkfF6ArFmCHmtf9y1tU0LR7uMr8/edit#gid=144772219

• Advertisement

Would it be the 6 week base phase of the 2016 grads plan you're referring to? I've always done it before the other sections of the spreadsheet. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LOkLQ_a9NHWe97yaRkfF6ArFmCHmtf9y1tU0LR7uMr8/edit#gid=144772219

I think that’s it thanks! I think my buddy has a bit of building to do before the base building! I think this is exactly what she will need though . Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I think that’s it thanks! I think my buddy has a bit of building to do before the base building! I think this is exactly what she will need though . Cheers

This is the pace calculator to be used with all the grads plans including the base building plan.

https://runfastcoach.com/calc2/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Any thoughts on which wave I’d be better off in for DCM? I’ve been given Wave 2. However, hoping to go just under sub 4 so was thinking of dropping back to Wave 3 and starting behind the 4hr pacers, maybe even just in front of the 4:10 guys. I’m running my own race but would like to start slowly picking up the pace after Castleknock and then reeling the pacers after halfway hopefully coming in the 4hr guys or just ahead of them. (All in an ideal world) Will it be chaotic up towards the front of wave 3 by the time I start trying to pick up the pace? I’m imagining there’d be loads passing me until the 7 mile mark, then maybe doing the same pace as people for a while and starting to pull off then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

^^Run your own race alright. Anyone passing (with gusto) early on, try to read it that they have their own agenda and may well fade later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

How long before you have to swap your Left and Right fancy socks 'cos of the Big Toe hole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Itziger wrote: »
    How long before you have to swap your Left and Right fancy socks 'cos of the Big Toe hole?

NEVER! Sow that hole and carry on. Its actually what I do between eating porridge and going to the toilet before my long runs!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Itziger wrote: »

Fancy socks? You mean the premium penny’s brand ????

NEVER! Sow that hole and carry on. Its actually what I do between eating porridge and going to the toilet before my long runs!

Aw man you need to upskill. Darning is way better than sewing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

KSU wrote:
    Fancy socks? You mean the premium penny’s brand ????

Penneys? I'm a lidl man myself. Penneys too fancy for these feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

That's poor time management!!

Do all at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

*shakes head*

Real men wear their holes with pride! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Bought 1000 Mile brand socks with my newest shoes. They make it feel like I'm running across an angel's bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

How do you clean your shoes? I throw the insoles into the washing machine but have baulked at throwing the rest of the shoe in for fear it would get wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

DeepBlue wrote: »
    How do you clean your shoes? I throw the insoles into the washing machine but have baulked at throwing the rest of the shoe in for fear it would get wrecked.

Unless you're talking about cross country or trail shoes, no need to clean the shoes at all. The odd run in the rain sorts that out for me - not that I care that much, because road shoes don't get that dirty!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

DeepBlue wrote:

Throw them into an old pillowcase and tie it with a knot. Lob them into the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Don’t clean them at all, but if I’m out in the rain I’ll put tissue in the shoes to keep the shape of them and soak all moisture out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Why would you bother? I've never washed shoes in my life.
    My running shoes are just for running. By the time they are dirty enough to notice they are ready to be replaced.
    Then they are downgraded to dogwalking and lawnmowing duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭crisco10

Off to Helsinki next week, where it promises to be cold and dark.

Anybody have recommendation for runs that will be lit and cleared around the city centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

Anyone know when registration for the Mullingar half marathon 2020 opens ?

My random question....is Fusitive still alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Anyone know if there's a way to compare two identical workouts on Garmin connect?

Am taking screenshots and flicking between. Be good if there was some software that allowed you to overlay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

Lazare wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's a way to compare two identical workouts on Garmin connect?

Am taking screenshots and flicking between. Be good if there was some software that allowed you to overlay them.

Depends on the level of comparison that you want but if its just the usual stats (splits, HR, cadence etc) that you get on garmin connect then there is a way of just comparing them. On Garmin Connect go to your "All Activities" page and then click on the workouts you want to compare (they should all highlight blue) and then at the top of the page there's a compare button. You can only compare 4 workouts at a time though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Brilliant, thanks for that, exactly what I'm after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I'm currently looking around for a HM in spring of 2020. There are 2 on near home but they are provisionally only 3 weeks apart.
    Would it be feasible to think I could full out race both or is the 3 week break pushing out the boat too much in terms or recovery for the later one?

Advertisement