Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The pace bands at the DCM expo. Are they tailored in some way - conservative start, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The pace bands at the DCM expo. Are they tailored in some way - conservative start, etc?

No, steady all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Hi all,

been on here on and off and wanted to pop back in.

Since Feb I have been back on the running buzz and slowly went from 5k to 15k with a HM in mind. Fast forward a few months I injured myself fairly badly (limping around etc). Been to four different phsios/ physical therapists and think I am beginning to get ready to run again.

Do I just jump back straight in and go for a 5k to see how I feel or do I have to do C25K again? I really don't want to do that but I dont wnt to hurt myself again. Injury is bulging disc in back which causes sciatic pain down left leg. Not sure how it happened... it was during a week off running so don't know if I just picked something heavy up funny or what.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

never_mind wrote: »
    Hi all,

been on here on and off and wanted to pop back in.

Since Feb I have been back on the running buzz and slowly went from 5k to 15k with a HM in mind. Fast forward a few months I injured myself fairly badly (limping around etc). Been to four different phsios/ physical therapists and think I am beginning to get ready to run again.

Do I just jump back straight in and go for a 5k to see how I feel or do I have to do C25K again? I really don't want to do that but I dont wnt to hurt myself again. Injury is bulging disc in back which causes sciatic pain down left leg. Not sure how it happened... it was during a week off running so don't know if I just picked something heavy up funny or what.

Any thoughts?

Would you be better off not asking one of the physios that treated you? Not trying to be smart, they would be able to advise you best (if they are competent)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Going to refrain from medical advice with regard to disc and run etc, do ask your physio.

but will say, as general piece of advice, is that 5km should not be a baseline to start from, if you have not been running.

5km called endurance run for a reason, body will often be tired at end of that and further distance.

run tired with recent injury a bad idea.

I say do 1-2-3km length run to see how body copes, before any endurance run

Better to return to run early but very, very easy pace and distance when rehabbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

what % of people do you reckon are runners..that is run say a few days every week..in all weather's..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

Zipppy wrote: »
    what % of people do you reckon are runners..that is run say a few days every week..in all weather's..

6.2% according to Irish Sports Monitor 2017 engage in running

Dont think there is any stats on how many times they run per week though

See page 14 https://www.sportireland.ie/Research/Irish%20Sports%20Monitor%202017%20-%20Half%20Year%20Report/Irish%20Sports%20Monitor%202017.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2 flahouh79

Hi all - training for Dublin Marathon this year, my first, but had a question about HR tracking.

Am using the Garmin Forerunner 235 watch. On easy runs I tend to average around 130-140, Tempo 140-160 and then the end of long runs can spike high enough.

On an easy run (with hills today) I felt completely ok but my average was 175 and Max was 203. I've gotten the once over from a doc a few weeks ago who actually did a quick ECG and he said all was good. Could just be accumulated tiredness over last few weeks training?

Thinking of just ignoring it during the Marathon as it's more anxiety inducing than anything else when i look down and it's 170+ and in max zone.

Anyone any thoughts or experience with accuracy of the Forerunner 235?

I'm male, 34 and been running relatively consistently for the last year (5k 19:50, 10k 42, HM 1:31) - plan on pushing it in DCM with the 3:20 pacers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

flahouh79 wrote: »
    Hi all - training for Dublin Marathon this year, my first, but had a question about HR tracking.

Am using the Garmin Forerunner 235 watch. On easy runs I tend to average around 130-140, Tempo 140-160 and then the end of long runs can spike high enough.

On an easy run (with hills today) I felt completely ok but my average was 175 and Max was 203. I've gotten the once over from a doc a few weeks ago who actually did a quick ECG and he said all was good. Could just be accumulated tiredness over last few weeks training?

Thinking of just ignoring it during the Marathon as it's more anxiety inducing than anything else when i look down and it's 170+ and in max zone.

I'm male, 34 and been running relatively consistently for the last year (5k 19:50, 10k 42, HM 1:31) - plan on pushing it in DCM with the 3:20 pacers

If it's just the wrist HR without a chest strap then it's not accurate at all. You need a chest strap like the HRM Run to get any kind of real HR readings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I had similar issues until i got the chest strap, readings always perfect now. In saying that I dont wear it racing, just to keep tabs on my easy runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Why anyone other than an expert/elite runner who was using loads of data (or someone with serious heart issues, but then would you be racing?!) would use a HRM while racing is beyond me.

What are ya going to do? Slow down when it goes high?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's good to analyse afterwards.

You might feel like you were flat out at a certain point or that you had eased off at some point but the data from the HR monitor might say different.

For something like a marathon you can analyse your HR data to give you an idea of what your Marathon effort should look like for your next training cycle.

Also you can see things like if your HR was too high for a given pace and that could explain a subpar performance.

I tend to not bother with it any more as I don't have a chest strap but there is value in the data I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Itziger wrote: »
    Why anyone other than an expert/elite runner who was using loads of data (or someone with serious heart issues, but then would you be racing?!) would use a HRM while racing is beyond me.

What are ya going to do? Slow down when it goes high?

I’ve never really paid attention to it in a race yet, but looking at the data after a couple of bad days, if I’d looked at the HR data and eased back a bit it might have saved a fair bit of suffering and produced a better result. Then again, if I did ease off and didn’t suffer, I’d be thinking I could have done better had I suffered more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

flahouh79 wrote: »

I have had a lot of issues with my 235 and heart rate . There is a known glitch in these watches -the heart rate can sync to the cadence. If you look at the hr graph on your garmin and put the cadence graph on top of it - you will see if this is the case . Another way to check is to look at the average heart rate and average cadence per lap , if the are the same or similar chances are your watch is glitching . Google it for more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

I have a 235 and had those issues too when I got it first. I read somewhere(probably on boards) that having it tied tightly slightly higher up the arm than the wrsit improves it and have found this makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

deisedude wrote: »
    6.2% according to Irish Sports Monitor 2017 engage in running

Dont think there is any stats on how many times they run per week though

See page 14 https://www.sportireland.ie/Research/Irish%20Sports%20Monitor%202017%20-%20Half%20Year%20Report/Irish%20Sports%20Monitor%202017.pdf

Great paper..many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Ok. I was watching Chicago today.

1. This has been bugging me for some time. Why are all the maie runners running in these same Nike two tone singlets. I had seen this before and in track races and assumed that they belonged to the same training group, but now I am seeing others in the same shirt design with different colours. What gives - is this some Nike 4% shirt I've missed ??

2. When runners were dropped from the lead male group, it seemed like the following car was pretty quickly between them and the remaining lead group. I know the camera messes with perspective but surely this is a huge obstacle to any attempt to rejoin the leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Ok.   I was watching Chicago today.

1.  This has been bugging me for some time.  Why are all the maie runners running in these same Nike two tone singlets.  I had seen this before and in track races and assumed that they belonged to the same training group, but now I am seeing others in the same shirt design with different colours.   What gives - is this some Nike 4% shirt I've missed ??

2.   When runners were dropped from the lead male group, it seemed like the following car was pretty quickly between them and the remaining lead group.  I know the camera messes with perspective but surely this is a huge obstacle to any attempt to rejoin the leaders.
    1. That's just the current Nike design of their tops, changes from time to time. All the elites wearing them are Nike sponsored so must wear what they are given by Nike. same goes for any elite sponsored by Adidas, Brooks, etc. 
    2.Didn't see the race so can't comment on how quickly the car moved between them. For the athlete thats dropped the car probably helps as it is a stepping stone back up to the group, if they see the group too far ahead it might make it more difficult mentally (that is of course if they have the strength to get back to the group)

Has anybody used a slow jog on purpose - liked timed after you have ran a certain distance in a marathon .

As in plan your marathon to incorporate sections where you slow jog for 30/60/90 secs maybe where you take on a bit of food or water?

So like In training you might do 5k LT then 90 sec jog then 5k LT?

It’s very effective in training - a short recovery can make you feel fresh for a new burst

I know the walk/run method has been proven to work .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

1. That's just the current Nike design of their tops, changes from time to time. All the elites wearing them are Nike sponsored so must wear what they are given by Nike. same goes for any elite sponsored by Adidas, Brooks, etc. 

I didn't realize Nike had such a huge slice of the sponsorship market - The top six guys yesterday were all in Nike gear. You don't see this on the women's side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Never felt the need to eat during a marathon. Not when it's going well, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

davedanon wrote: »
    Never felt the need to eat during a marathon. Not when it's going well, anyway.

I am usually starving from about mile 14/15.

I think my question was not really about the food element .

In training I use slow jogs for rest between intervals (30 secs to 3 mins depending )

I was just wondering if anybody had incorporated a similar strategy into their marathon race plan and if so was it effective .

I know Jeff Galloway has a run/ walk method but I had more of a run 5k , slow jog 30 secs type thing in mind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The run/walk method works if you haven't done sufficient training to run the entire race.

If you have done the training then keeping a steady pace all through the race is by far the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

pgmcpq wrote: »
    I didn't realize Nike had such a huge slice of the sponsorship market - The top six guys yesterday were all in Nike gear. You don't see this on the women's side.

Nike account for roughly 60-70% of all athlete sponsorships globally

A good example of this is the Prefontaine Diamond league where only Nike sponsored athletes compete

or the 41 pacers for Kipchoge's sub 2 attempt, again all Nike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Has anybody used a slow jog on purpose - liked timed after you have ran a certain distance in a marathon .

As in plan your marathon to incorporate sections where you slow jog for 30/60/90 secs maybe where you take on a bit of food or water?

So like In training you might do 5k LT then 90 sec jog then 5k LT?

It’s very effective in training - a short recovery can make you feel fresh for a new burst

I know the walk/run method has been proven to work .

As has been said above that type of method can be great for someone who hasn't done enough training. You have! It's probably a bit of doubt in your mind brought on by taper maranoia. Banish it! ;)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    As has been said above that type of method can be great for someone who hasn't done enough training. You have! It's probably a bit of doubt in your mind brought on by taper maranoia. Banish it! ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence .

I wasn’t thinking of walking - it was more to give myself an incentive to keep going . Like if I do 5k @ MP I could have a 30/60 sec break at MP + 30 secs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I wasn’t thinking of walking - it was more to give myself an incentive to keep going . Like if I do 5k @ MP I could have a 30/60 sec break at MP + 30 secs!

Oh I knew you weren't thinking of walking but even thinking of jogging isn't something you need. What you describe is a little breather. 60 secs @ MP + 30 secs would slow you down by only three seconds each time you do it. I'd say I probably made similar pace corrections about 50 times last year.....just a slight increase/decrease in effort depending on how I felt.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Oh I knew you weren't thinking of walking but even thinking of jogging isn't something you need. What you describe is a little breather. 60 secs @ MP + 30 secs would slow you down by only three seconds each time you do it. I'd say I probably made similar pace corrections about 50 times last year.....just a slight increase/decrease in effort depending on how I felt.

Thanks - I guess I’m over thinking it for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

You could / should walk the water stations - you're more likely to actually get the fluids you need into you whilst also having a few seconds recovery.
    Regardless of the time I am aiming for, I always walk the water stations

Advertisement