Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I'm currently looking around for a HM in spring of 2020. There are 2 on near home but they are provisionally only 3 weeks apart.
    Would it be feasible to think I could full out race both or is the 3 week break pushing out the boat too much in terms or recovery for the later one?

I had 4 weeks between Limerick and Cork this year and PB’d in both of them. 3 weeks isn’t a lot and you may have to really judge how you are feeling after the first one to make a call on the 2nd. If the first one was extremely hilly or tough it may be a harder recovery? Really, I’d say the correct thing to say is that you shouldn’t race both but personally I’d see how I was feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

I am planning on running my first Marathon next year and i am looking around at training plans online, higdon seems to be the most popular but one thing i have noticed is, there is no interval or speed training included? Any others plan i should be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Klopp wrote: »
    I am planning on running my first Marathon next year and i am looking around at training plans online, higdon seems to be the most popular but one thing i have noticed is, there is no interval or speed training included? Any others plan i should be looking at?

When are you running it? What are your marathon ambitions? If possible, follow a structured training plan for a shorter distance first, then you'll come to marathon training a) significantly improved as a runner and b) experienced working with a plan and so can make more informed decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

Singer wrote: »
    When are you running it? What are your marathon ambitions? If possible, follow a structured training plan for a shorter distance first, then you'll come to marathon training a) significantly improved as a runner and b) experience working with a plan.

I will more likely be running the Dublin marathon and want to get good head start in terms of training. It will be my first time running a marathon, i have a time of 3:30 in mind, somewhat ambitious. I am currently just running midweek and weekend park runs. I am looking around at training plans, all seem to be staggered differently, some with more long runs, others more focus on interval and speed training. I am looking for one to get a good head start and ideally i will learn over the months and can change depending on schedule, fitness and injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Klopp wrote: »
    I will more likely be running the Dublin marathon and want to get good head start in terms of training. It will be my first time running a marathon, i have a time of 3:30 in mind, somewhat ambitious. I am currently just running midweek and weekend park runs. I am looking around at training plans, all seem to be staggered differently, some with more long runs, others more focus on interval and speed training. I am looking for one to get a good head start and ideally i will learn over the months and can change depending on schedule, fitness and injuries.

It doesn't have to be overly elaborate

- Run easy and often!

- Vary your paces, include strides or hills once or twice a week

- Don't be afraid to dial back pace on easy days!!

- Run long once a week (build to 90 min to 2 hours)

- Make sure easy days are easy!!!

- Err on the side of caution!!!!

- Don't get too bogged down on the specifics of the workout be it interval/tempo/hill repeats etc, 20-30 min of harder efforts between 10k and HM pace once a week

- Don't run your easy days too hard!!!!!

If you follow that sort of template consistently week after week starting small and slowly building it up progressively you won't know yourself by the time you come around to marathon training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

I'm currently looking around for a HM in spring of 2020. There are 2 on near home but they are provisionally only 3 weeks apart.
    Would it be feasible to think I could full out race both or is the 3 week break pushing out the boat too much in terms or recovery for the later one?

3 weeks should be ok for a couple of Halves if you're well trained. As you get nearer the day you can make the call whether the first one is a good prep for the second or whatever. I've done 3 or 4 week gaps on a couple of occasions and raced both. Second one is flatter/easier and on both occasions I did it slightly faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

I got a costume for Halloween and I want to have a go at running in it. Is there any kind of unwritten rules to follow or other things to be aware of?

I'm aiming for a 10km event.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Strongly considering Rotterdam in early April. Would be a 14 week plan from the new year. I'm unsure of what plan to be looking at on the back of breaking 3hrs for the first time in Dublin. Any advice / recommendations.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Strongly considering Rotterdam in early April. Would be a 14 week plan from the new year. I'm unsure of what plan to be looking at on the back of breaking 3hrs for the first time in Dublin. Any advice / recommendations.?

If the plan got you under 3 hours in Dublin. Why change? I have used the same plan for my 4 marathons and have gone from 2.57 to 2.46

Just on rotterdam it can be very hot in April. I was watching last year's and it was very warm. The year before was hotter again.

If the plan got you under 3 hours in Dublin. Why change? I have used the same plan for my 4 marathons and have gone from 2.57 to 2.46

Just on rotterdam it can be very hot in April. I was watching last year's and it was very warm. The year before was hotter again.

Yes, may well go with that again but just scouting for alternative options to possible change things up a little

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Would you have a crack at Hansen? Good thread on here with a lot of success for people.

Would you have a crack at Hansen? Good thread on here with a lot of success for people.

I'll have a good read of the thread over the next couple of weeks I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Similar to what Djemba x2 said, you smashed the 3 hrs and set a huge HM PB with whatever plan you were using so I wouldn't be too quick to dispense with it. Of course you'll have to tweak one or two things with it, but........I don't know if I'd be looking for alternatives so quickly.
    As you know I'm doing Manchester rather than Rotterdam, just for the accessibility more than anything else as I'll be doing Berlin or Amsterdam next Autumn and one big trip in a year is enough for me. I'd love to give Rotterdam another rattle as I came a cropper in the 20°+ heat in 2018. A tough day, when my poor hydration across the weekend and on race day cost me badly.....

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

Is there a list of plans and a general summary of what they're about? e.g.

Hansen =
    Boards Plan =
    HHN1 plan = (or something like that?)

I dont know what each of them offer over the others? I just finished my first marathon in Dublin in 3:33 and looking for ideas about what to attack next? Had a look at a boards plan on an Excel sheet and it would have me running for 5/6 nights a week which is way more than i can afford? I'm booked into the Clonakilty HM at the end of the month and want to do a good few races of varying lengths next year including the DCM again.

Thanks...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Came across this yesterday actually. Looks like a good comparison between various plans:

https://www.reddit.com/r/running/comments/drzrwk

deconduo wrote: »
    Came across this yesterday actually. Looks like a good comparison between various plans:

https://www.reddit.com/r/running/comments/drzrwk

Similar to that if you type "A comparison of the best marathon training plans" into Google you'll find a wiki page from fellrnr that does similar but also has a table comparing them against each other and their suitability for different types of runner.

Can't link on my mobile.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Similar to that if you type "A comparison of the best marathon training plans" into Google you'll find a wiki page from fellrnr that does similar but also has a table comparing them against each other and their suitability for different types of runner.

Can't link on my mobile.

Got it: https://fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of_Marathon_Training_Plans

healy1835 wrote: »
    Similar to what Djemba x2 said, you smashed the 3 hrs and set a huge HM PB with whatever plan you were using so I wouldn't be too quick to dispense with it. Of course you'll have to tweak one or two things with it, but........I don't know if I'd be looking for alternatives so quickly.
    As you know I'm doing Manchester rather than Rotterdam, just for the accessibility more than anything else as I'll be doing Berlin or Amsterdam next Autumn and one big trip in a year is enough for me. I'd love to give Rotterdam another rattle as I came a cropper in the 20°+ heat in 2018. A tough day, when my poor hydration across the weekend and on race day cost me badly.....

Am in for Berlin too. fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Easy runs vs recovery runs: how do you personally distinguish between them in your own training and do you even do specific recovery runs as distinct from just easy running? I might after a race but otherwise I don't think I do. Then again I don't aim for any pace on easy runs so some are slower than others and probably end up closer to recovery territory by default. Curious to hear if they're something other people consciously include or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I pretty much always do easy runs unless i feel really beat up after a race/session. Easy run at the moment around 8.30, recovery then would be 9-9.30 for me.

• Advertisement

eyrie wrote: »
    Easy runs vs recovery runs: how do you personally distinguish between them in your own training and do you even do specific recovery runs as distinct from just easy running? I might after a race but otherwise I don't think I do. Then again I don't aim for any pace on easy runs so some are slower than others and probably end up closer to recovery territory by default. Curious to hear if they're something other people consciously include or not.

I honestly don't distinguish between the two. Easy days are at a pace that's easy. Whether that's 7.50/mile or 8.30/mile or anywhere between it depends on the day. Hard days hard easy days as easy as needed. Apart from post race where I'd either rest or maybe run a few 9min miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Good to know, thanks IvoryTower and Swashbuckler. Sounds like I'm not way off the mark so!

Good to know, thanks IvoryTower and Swashbuckler. Sounds like I'm not way off the mark so!

As long as you're genuinely easy when it should be then you won't go far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I'd say you're tuned in enough to naturally run more towards recovery when required.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

Does anyone here just feel they are unable to do push-ups? I just don't have the strength to do them properly and therefore not injure myself. Is there much benefit from push-ups against the wall?
    Thanks

Sussex18 wrote:
    Does anyone here just feel they are unable to do push-ups? I just don't have the strength to do them properly and therefore not injure myself. Is there much benefit from push-ups against the wall? Thanks

Have you tried them with knees on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

Have you tried them with knees on the ground?

Not really, almost entirely against the wall, if not on the floor. I can do them, but with a good form. My arms are narrow (does that matter?) and it feels like I've not got the strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Sussex18 wrote: »
    Not really, almost entirely against the wall, if not on the floor. I can do them, but with a good form. My arms are narrow (does that matter?) and it feels like I've not got the strength.

Have you tried at an angle? Like against a stairs? So you aren't flat against the wall, but it's not full upper body weight you are lifting with your arms. You can then gradually lower the angle as you get stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

juke wrote: »
    Have you tried at an angle? Like against a stairs? So you aren't flat against the wall, but it's not full upper body weight you are lifting with your arms. You can then gradually lower the angle as you get stronger.

Yes was just going to suggest something like this - I started using a windowsill and lowered the angle over time then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Sussex18 wrote: »
    Does anyone here just feel they are unable to do push-ups? I just don't have the strength to do them properly and therefore not injure myself. Is there much benefit from push-ups against the wall?
    Thanks

Not much benefit to doing push ups full stop.
    Try something like this, you can use a resistance band to get similar effect of you dont have use of a cable machine.
    Once done right theres far more benefits and also transfers into the gait cycle

https://youtu.be/_Hd2yxkXku8

Advertisement