Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Speaking of easy. What, outside of the idea of 'conversation' pace, and staying within the boundaries of current fitness and individuality, is an easy run, as such? It's one part of the glue that holds our training together, I suppose.

Funnily enough i got an email on this subject yesterday which explained it quite well, i'll copy and paste some extracts which i found particularly useful, i hope it helps.
    Scientific research as been able to identify exactly how the aerobic system responds and adapts to certain training paces. Physiologically, we know:

Capillary development appears to peak at between 60 and 75 percent of 5k pace.

Research has shown that maximum stimulation of myoglobin in Type I muscle fiber occurs at about 63-77 % of VO2max.
    Holloszy (1967) and Dudley (1982) found that maximum mitochondrial development occurs when running at 50-75 % of V02max.
    What does that mean?

63-77 % of VO2max is about 55-75 % of 5k pace.

What’s the bottom line?

Your optimal easy run pace for aerobic development is between 55 and 75% of your 5k pace, with the average pace being about 65%.
    Running faster than 75% of your 5k pace on your long or easy run doesn’t provide a lot of additional physiological benefit.

In fact, the research indicates that it would be just as advantageous to run slower as it would be to run faster.

Even though 50-55 % of 5k pace will seem too easy, the research clearly demonstrates that it still provides near optimal physiological aerobic adaptation.

In addition to aerobic development, easy days can function as active recovery from your hard workouts – but not if you run them too fast.

After a hard workout, your muscles will have micro-tears from the forceful contractions which happen at fast speeds.

These micro-tears cause muscle soreness, and make training the day after a hard workout difficult.

The body heals these small micro-tears through the circulatory system, which delivers the oxygen and nutrients to the muscles that need repair.

Easy running delivers oxygen and nutrients directly to the muscles used during running.

When running easy enough, the stress and micro tears that result from running are virtually non-existent, so the recovery outweighs the slight muscle damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

boydkev wrote: »
    I had to sort change my plan and swapped of weeks 4 and 5.

Here is the original from the book

https://sjpc14.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/scan3.jpg

Sure, why not do a session every day that week and get them all over and done with? :)

The two changes (inflating the race distance and then the next day trying to do the most challenging long run on the plan with 14M@MP) sound near impossible to me and are certainly not what the plan is saying you should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭deisedude

ariana` wrote: »
    Funnily enough i got an email on this subject yesterday which explained it quite well, i'll copy and paste some extracts which i found particularly useful, i hope it helps.

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. What website is that from? Would like to subscribe to those emails

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Anyone know where to get Nip Guards in Dublin city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

deisedude wrote: »
    Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. What website is that from? Would like to subscribe to those emails

Runners Connect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Singer wrote: »
    Sure, why not do a session every day that week and get them all over and done with? :)

The two changes (inflating the race distance and then the next day trying to do the most challenging long run on the plan with 14M@MP) sound near impossible to me and are certainly not what the plan is saying you should do.

I think i have confused even myself on this one, I moved the saturday and sunday of week 4 & 5, And i only did a 10k tune up last saturday followed by a 17 Mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Anyone know where to get Nip Guards in Dublin city centre?

Think Run Hub have them but they are pricey.

4 x plasters does me in a X shape

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Bodyglide

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

I just cut squares off a kinesio tape roll. stay on perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Any recommendations for running shorts which have gel pockets in the inner lining; I much prefer the 2 in 1 shorts for most runs.

Tried a belt on the long run today and I think it is just one more thing to worry about.

Thanks C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

The Decathalon trail running shorts have pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Cartman78

There's a few posts about those shorts over on the sub 3 support thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

Just wondering what pacer balloons will be operating in the 4th purple wave in the DCM ? Or do you have to be in a particular wave do get the 3.30 pacer balloon say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Just wondering what pacer balloons will be operating in the 4th purple wave? Or do you have to be in a particular wave do get the 3.30 pacer balloon say?

💥Wave Pacers💥
    • Wave 1 >> 3:00, 3:10 & 3:20
    • Wave 2 >> 3:30, 3:40 & 3:50
    • Wave 3 >> 4:00, 4:10 & 4:20
    • Wave 4 >> 4:30, 4:40, 4:50 & 5:00

Wave 4 will have the 4:30, 4:40, 4:50 and 5:00 pacers. You have to be in Wave 2 to be able to use the 3:30 pacer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Cartman78

^^^
    Thanks for that - I opted for wave 1 when I signed up back in January but I would be very much on the outer limits of that now so a 3:20 pacer might do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

spc78 wrote: »
    I just cut squares off a kinesio tape roll. stay on perfect.

Cheers that worked a treat on my long run at the wkend

I've had a pain in my shin since running on Saturday. Sore to walk on but I'm not in agony. Anyone experience this before? Sounds like a stress reaction but I'd imagine I'd be in more pain if it was a fracture. Would a few days off and icing be the best port of call and see if it improves before going to a doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I've had a pain in my shin since running on Saturday. Sore to walk on but I'm not in agony. Anyone experience this before? Sounds like a stress reaction but I'd imagine I'd be in more pain if it was a fracture. Would a few days off and icing be the best port of call and see if it improves before going to a doctor?

Obviously I can't give medical advice and I'm definitely not a doctor but you would not be able to walk on it if it were an actual fracture.

Icing has no effect on healing. Doesn't hurt either, if you still insist.

Sounds a little bit like shin splints but I can't tell from afar. Rest for a couple of days and if it still hurts then go to a physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I had something similar at the start of the year. Never really got diagnosed but a couple of weeks of no running then slowly getting back at it did the trick. Unfortunately for me I rushed the comeback causing a more serious injury elsewhere. Frustrating one but I got there in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Obviously I can't give medical advice and I'm definitely not a doctor but you would not be able to walk on it if it were an actual fracture.

Sounds a little bit like shin splints but I can't tell from afar. Rest for a couple of days and if it still hurts then go to a physio.

I'm sure you're right about shins, but just posting to say be careful about using 'I can walk on it' as proof something isn't a stress fracture (not directing this at this post in particular, just saying it in general). My husband walked (painfully!) on a stress fracture in his foot for a couple of months (he didn't know he had it, he wasn't just being macho by walking on it).

I had something similar at the start of the year. Never really got diagnosed but a couple of weeks of no running then slowly getting back at it did the trick. Unfortunately for me I rushed the comeback causing a more serious injury elsewhere. Frustrating one but I got there in the end.
    HelenAnne wrote: »
    I'm sure you're right about shins, but just posting to say be careful about using 'I can walk on it' as proof something isn't a stress fracture (not directing this at this post in particular, just saying it in general). My husband walked (painfully!) on a stress fracture in his foot for a couple of months (he didn't know he had it, he wasn't just being macho by walking on it).

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a few days off and if it doesnt improve will go to a physio

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

+1 on Helenanne's post, you could be correct but stress fractures don't necessarily stop you walking or even running on leg.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    💥Wave Pacers💥
    • Wave 1 >> 3:00, 3:10 & 3:20
    • Wave 2 >> 3:30, 3:40 & 3:50
    • Wave 3 >> 4:00, 4:10 & 4:20
    • Wave 4 >> 4:30, 4:40, 4:50 & 5:00

Wave 4 will have the 4:30, 4:40, 4:50 and 5:00 pacers. You have to be in Wave 2 to be able to use the 3:30 pacer.

This is a bit of a pain now, as I'm in wave 4 and hoping to finish under 4 hrs, So ideally I'd like to be in wave 2 but wave 3 would be ok too.
    Looking at the KBC marathon website FAQ, it says you can only move down a wave but not up. Is there any solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

This is a bit of a pain now, as I'm in wave 4 and hoping to finish under 4 hrs, So ideally I'd like to be in wave 2 but wave 3 would be ok too.
    Looking at the KBC marathon website FAQ, it says you can only move down a wave but not up. Is there any solution?

Work your way up?

Trust me slowing down a fraction in the early stage will do majority of people world of good in terms of finishing in optimal time. The difference between 4 and 4.30 is only 70 sec per mile so its not end of world starting more conservative for the first 4-5 miles till it thins to allow you to move up to where you wanna be.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Try emailing them to see if you can move up a wave or two. You will need to include a couple of recent race results to prove that you can run it sub 4. I was able to move up a wave by doing this but that was before they released the last batch of entries.

Treviso wrote:
    Try emailing them to see if you can move up a wave or two. You will need to include a couple of recent race results to prove that you can run it sub 4. I was able to move up a wave by doing this but that was before they released the last batch of entries.

Don't have any races done to be honest. Only my training logs show my times. But might try it with them I suppose.
    KSU wrote:
    Trust me slowing down a fraction in the early stage will do majority of people world of good in terms of finishing in optimal time. The difference between 4 and 4.30 is only 70 sec per mile so its not end of world starting more conservative for the first 4-5 miles till it thins to allow you to move up to where you wanna be.

Cheers, But then I'll run the full race then not knowing where I am time wise. As in if I start with the 4:30 pacer in wave 4. Then to catch up with the 4:00 pacer from wave three I would have to be running quicker than them to catch up. I'm not sure I like the idea of having to run fast at the start just trying to catch them. Also my time would be skewed as I'd have been running faster than the 4:00 pacer at the start.

Any other possibilities?
    How do they differentiate between people in each wave at the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Don't have any races done to be honest. Only my training logs show my times. But might try it with them I suppose.

Cheers, But then I'll run the full race then not knowing where I am time wise. As in if I start with the 4:30 pacer in wave 4. Then to catch up with the 4:00 pacer from wave three I would have to be running quicker than them to catch up. I'm not sure I like the idea of having to run fast at the start just trying to catch them. Also my time would be skewed as I'd have been running faster than the 4:00 pacer at the start.

Any other possibilities?
    How do they differentiate between people in each wave at the start?

Your number will be a different colour to those in waves 1, 2, and 3. Once through the bag drop area you will be directed towards the correct holding area for your wave. Each wave is held back on different streets until it's there turn to move towards the start line. The map here explains it more clearly - wave 4 is the purple colour.

You'll be starting 20 mins behind the 4 hour pacers so you'd have to run a 3:40 marathon just to catch them by the finish. Can you not just pace yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Any other possibilities?

Don't worry about pacers, run your own race. Use a watch and the mile/5k markers on the course to know how you're doing. There are pace bands available at the expo with the elapsed time you will need to be at each mile marker for all paced times, so pick one of those up or print one out in advance (they're readily available on the interweb).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Not looking for medical advice, just wondering - you know the old 'subtract your age from 220 to get your max heartrate' maxim?

How different in either direction have people found their maximum / resting etc heart rates are? is the '220 - etc' accurate for most of you?

Advertisement