Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

OOnegative wrote: »
    I was supposed to race an 8-10k this weekend per the plan i’m following but there is nothing on that suits, question I have, is there any benefits to me running a solo time trial, say 5 miles to make up for missing said race?

Forget the TT? I have another 10k race next week that I will make(had to juggle the plan somewhat due to family life). Am training for Amsterdam Half on 20th of October.

Definitely forget the TT if you’re racing next week. The plan races are optional anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

28064212 wrote: »
    Is the race next week part of the plan? If not, would you not just swap the entire weeks around? Bit late to do the whole week I suppose, but you could just swap the weekends

No as i’ve had to bring the race next week forward a week already, originally next week’s race should have been weekend of 6th October but family circumstances dictated I can’t race that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Itziger wrote: »

But fruit and veg you can make money go a long way.

I lived in India for a year, lentils, chickpeas, mung beans, etc go even further. Lentils in particular have more protein per ounce than beef, lots of different ways to cook

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

No as i’ve had to bring the race next week forward a week already, originally next week’s race should have been weekend of 6th October but family circumstances dictated I can’t race that weekend.

Jaysis Barry, that’s confusing!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Jaysis Barry, that’s confusing!

Yeah sorry, explaining stuff not exactly my strong point!!!

Original plan had races the weekend of 22nd of September & 6th of October. I cannot race either of those so moved the 6th of October race forward a week.

As you said drop the TT I originally asked about, it was more for an ego boost to see where I am. I’ll find out 7 days after.

Still reads confusing no doubt, sorry!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Cassy201

Guys I'm not sure where to post this but really need some advice! I did the c25k over the summer and finished it! The think I realised is that while I was going 30min I wasn't hiking 5k. So, I stopped using the app and used the distance function on my fitbit. I've been jogging 5k a few times a week for the past few weeks. However, my pace is v v slow - I mean maybe 7'03-7'45 (km) - the pace calculators are estimating about a 33-35min 5k. I would love to bring his down to 30min but don't know how to do it - I did an NHS speed app last night and had to stop for a minute half way thru - v disheartening. Would love some advice from more experienced boardies!

Tl;dr recent grad from c25k looking to speed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Cassy201 wrote: »
    Guys I'm not sure where to post this but really need some advice! I did the c25k over the summer and finished it! The think I realised is that while I was going 30min I wasn't hiking 5k. So, I stopped using the app and used the distance function on my fitbit. I've been jogging 5k a few times a week for the past few weeks. However, my pace is v v slow - I mean maybe 7'03-7'45 (km) - the pace calculators are estimating about a 33-35min 5k. I would love to bring his down to 30min but don't know how to do it - I did an NHS speed app last night and had to stop for a minute half way thru - v disheartening. Would love some advice from more experienced boardies!

Tl;dr recent grad from c25k looking to speed up!

This thread might help you - it was a similar question to yours. I’d recommend Parkrun weekly if you can get to one. Running with others definitely helps bring you along.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057827455

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cassy201

Thanks kellygirl, I'll check that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

KSU wrote: »
    I am always bemused by this mentality.

It's not expensive to eat healthy if you plan it out. You can do 2 of the following 3 things - Cheap, Healthy, Convenient.

Realistically if you plan it out you can eat like a king for less than the price of your daily coffee on average

Great if you're single and living on an income.

I've friends with family who live on Tescos reduced shelf for much of their food, and they can't always afford a balanced diet which can stretch across a family so the kids come first and they make do with whats left.

Luckily a majority of the population live fairly comfortably but there's a lot of poverty too, been there and would hate to go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Just reading through various people's race reports and have a quick query regarding energy gels with added caffeine.
    I've never tried one myself but the reports highlight how people got a mental and physical boost from them.
    For DCM19 I'm planning on using 4 gels and was just wondering would it be worthwhile including 1 caffeine version and what would be the optimum time to take it? To get the full benefit of it what time period up to the race should you have weaned yourself off coffee?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Just reading through various people's race reports and have a quick query regarding energy gels with added caffeine.
    I've never tried one myself but the reports highlight how people got a mental and physical boost from them.
    For DCM19 I'm planning on using 4 gels and was just wondering would it be worthwhile including 1 caffeine version and what would be the optimum time to take it? To get the full benefit of it what time period up to the race should you have weaned yourself off coffee?

Thanks

Make sure you try a caffeine gel in training to see how it agrees with your stomach, you don’t want to have a Catherina McKiernan moment at DCM!! If your planning on taking 4 i’d do it at 6,12,18 & 21 miles if I was taking that amount. Regarding weaning yourself off coffee pre race I can’t help i’m afraid on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Anyone every run in the West Waterford AC Open Cross Country Event in Dungarvan - https://munsterrunning.blogspot.com/2019/09/notice-west-waterford-ac-open-cross.html wondering what the course is like

Training plan for DCM has a 8-15k race for the weekend and this is the only viable one (can't do a parkrun). Wondering if doing my first XC race is a good idea so close to the marathon or should I do a time trial run instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Make sure you try a caffeine gel in training to see how it agrees with your stomach, you don’t want to have a Catherina McKiernan moment at DCM!! If your planning on taking 4 i’d do it at 6,12,18 & 21 miles if I was taking that amount. Regarding weaning yourself off coffee pre race I can’t help i’m afraid on that one.

Thanks for that B! If they agree with me when should I take the caffeine one in those intervals, maybe mile 18 as peoples reports seem to say they take a half hour to kick in??

Thanks for that B! If they agree with me when should I take the caffeine one in those intervals, maybe mile 18 as peoples reports seem to say they take a half hour to kick in??

Yeah mile 18 would be best for the caffeine one, give it time to take affect as you say. I normally take a gel before the start to as does plenty other runners, just another idea to play around with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Treviso wrote: »
    Anyone every run in the West Waterford AC Open Cross Country Event in Dungarvan - https://munsterrunning.blogspot.com/2019/09/notice-west-waterford-ac-open-cross.html wondering what the course is like

Training plan for DCM has a 8-15k race for the weekend and this is the only viable one (can't do a parkrun). Wondering if doing my first XC race is a good idea so close to the marathon or should I do a time trial run instead?

Do a time trial on your own instead. You could turn your ankle at the Cross country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Thanks

Seeing as he recently started posting his log on Boards.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bGmXRoMXGiE

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

Hi,
    First time DCM runner looking for some answers please. I have been kinda following the KBC twitter training plan up to now doing shorter runs through the week and a long run at weekends. I did 16 miles last weekend and hoping for 18 this weekend but it was very late before i did any long run training (start Sept) so...

1. I see the KBC training plan tapers off the long runs for 2 weeks before the marathon but i would like to get more than one week of 20/22 mile long runs in. Is it feasible to taper off for just 1 week?

2. I have been doing all my running at the same pace roughly. Around 8:00 Min/Mi, some at 7:50 Min/Mi and some at 8:10 Min/Mi. However a friend mentioned that my long weekend runs should be slow and my midweek runs should be fast. Is this correct?

3. I'm not sure what overall time i'll finish in? I'm not that pushed as its my first marathon but being reasonably fit i think somewhere around 4hrs would be nice? am I way off the mark? i have run 14 miles in 1hr 52 min which was at 8:01Min/Mi according to my phone. My last run was with someone so I had to go at her pace really which was 8:39 Min/Mi. for 16 miles. Is 4 hrs a realistic target?

4. I like to bring my phone with me on my runs (in a flipbelt) to listen to podcasts and track my runs. I never bought a watch as my phone was doing the tracking for me. Would i be mad to bring it on the marathon? I have nice little earbuds so no cables and i usually wear just 1 earbud to listen for traffic etc... do people bring phones on marathons?

Thanks for any help...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Quick Answers

1. No

2. Your friend is right slow down long runs and mid week @ marathon pace or slightly faster.

3. Obey 1 & 2 above and I would say yes its feasable.

4. Dublin has a brillant atomshere and support. You will only ever run your first marathon once leave the phone/headphones at home and enjoy the experience ad support

• Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭28064212

1. I see the KBC training plan tapers off the long runs for 2 weeks before the marathon but i would like to get more than one week of 20/22 mile long runs in. Is it feasible to taper off for just 1 week?
    Not recommended for a first timer. Your legs will need time to recover from your training
    2. I have been doing all my running at the same pace roughly. Around 8:00 Min/Mi, some at 7:50 Min/Mi and some at 8:10 Min/Mi. However a friend mentioned that my long weekend runs should be slow and my midweek runs should be fast. Is this correct?
    At least 80% of your running time should be easy. As a novice, one "fast" run midweek is plenty, whether that's an interval run (e.g. the KBC advanced plan has '8 x 400m x 90s recovery' on Tuesday for week 18) or a tempo run (e.g. 2-5 miles at a steady "tough" pace). On some of your long runs, you should consider doing some of the distance at planned marathon pace (PMP). All your other runs should be slow.

How much slower? Well, I'm a sub 2:40 marathon runner. My easy pace is around 7:45/mile (and I still consider that a little fast). You are running way, way too fast
    3. I'm not sure what overall time i'll finish in? I'm not that pushed as its my first marathon but being reasonably fit i think somewhere around 4hrs would be nice? am I way off the mark? i have run 14 miles in 1hr 52 min which was at 8:01Min/Mi according to my phone. My last run was with someone so I had to go at her pace really which was 8:39 Min/Mi. for 16 miles. Is 4 hrs a realistic target?
    Sounds reasonable, but it very much depends on your training as a whole, not one or two specific runs. You should definitely start slower than your target pace: Dublin is a harder first half than second half, and as a novice, you're not going to want to hit the wall
    4. I like to bring my phone with me on my runs (in a flipbelt) to listen to podcasts and track my runs. I never bought a watch as my phone was doing the tracking for me. Would i be mad to bring it on the marathon? I have nice little earbuds so no cables and i usually wear just 1 earbud to listen for traffic etc... do people bring phones on marathons?
    Bring your phone if you want to track your run, no problem. Do not wear headphones (or earbuds). It makes you substantially more hazardous to the people around you (yes, even with just one in). It's also worse for you, the Dublin marathon is a fantastic experience, with great crowds all the way round

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

On the subject of marathons ....

My schedule has a twenty miler with 14 miles @ MP as the last long long run before the taper .

The schedule is normally 20% Hardish, 80% easy(ish) . The hard bit can be the MP in the long run . This week the schedule has lost the run of itself and has a few LT intervals , a MP run and that very hard looking long run? I’m afraid that that’s too much , too close to DCM. Should I cut out the MP as it’s seems like a very hard run so close ? Maybe I’m just being lazy cause I’m so tired at this second in time!

• Advertisement

Bluesquare wrote: »

My schedule has a twenty miler with 14 miles @ MP as the last long long run before the taper .

The schedule is normally 20% Hardish, 80% easy(ish) . The hard bit can be the MP in the long run . This week the schedule has lost the run of itself and has a few LT intervals , a MP run and that very hard looking long run? I’m afraid that that’s too much , too close to DCM. Should I cut out the MP as it’s seems like a very hard run so close ? Maybe I’m just being lazy cause I’m so tired at this second I’m time!

Sounds like your peak training week? You’d be running those MP miles on tired legs so you’d imagine the marathon would feel so much easier then? Do you know others who have already followed this plan? How did they find this week?

This is the first outing of the plan so no precedent! We are the test subjects !

This is the first outing of the plan so no precedent! We are the test subjects !

Oh! Well I suppose maybe have a look at a few other plans so to compare. I know mine has 1 session, 3 easy or very easy runs and a long run with stuff for this week and next.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Speaking of easy. What, outside of the idea of 'conversation' pace, and staying within the boundaries of current fitness and individuality, is an easy run, as such? It's one part of the glue that holds our training together, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Speaking of easy. What, outside of the idea of 'conversation' pace, and staying within the boundaries of current fitness and individuality, is an easy run, as such? It's one part of the glue that holds our training together, I suppose.

There are definitions based on heart rate too. It's possibly the best indicator. Anything less than 65% of heart rate reserve is considered easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

The schedule is normally 20% Hardish, 80% easy(ish) . The hard bit can be the MP in the long run . This week the schedule has lost the run of itself and has a few LT intervals , a MP run and that very hard looking long run? I’m afraid that that’s too much , too close to DCM. Should I cut out the MP as it’s seems like a very hard run so close ? Maybe I’m just being lazy cause I’m so tired at this second in time!

I am following the P&D 55 Mile Plan for DCM again this year, The plan for this weeks is
    M - Rest/Cross
    T - 8 Miles with 5x600m @ 5k Pace
    W - 11 Miles Aerobic
    T - Rest/Cross
    F - 4 Miles Recovery
    S - 9-13 Mile Tune up race
    S - 17 Miles with 14 @ MP

So as Kellygirl has mentioned, The run on Sunday is hard because it is on tired legs, Especially when this is is after 3 55 Mile weeks.

boydkev wrote: »
    I am following the P&D 55 Mile Plan for DCM again this year, The plan for this weeks is
    M - Rest/Cross
    W - 11 Miles Aerobic
    T - Rest/Cross
    F - 4 Miles Recovery

So as Kellygirl has mentioned, The run on Sunday is hard because it is on tired legs, Especially when this is is after 3 55 Mile weeks.

Thanks - what’s the last week before the taper
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

boydkev wrote: »
    M - Rest/Cross
    W - 11 Miles Aerobic
    T - Rest/Cross
    F - 4 Miles Recovery

I’m looking at the book and don’t see anything like that weekend, which looks bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I had to sort change my plan and swapped of weeks 4 and 5.

Here is the original from the book

https://sjpc14.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/scan3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Singer wrote: »
    I’m looking at the book and don’t see anything like that weekend, which looks bonkers.

Should be a 5-10 mile tune up race, 9-13 miles in total including wu + cd and then 17m long run but no MP miles.

Advertisement