Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Burner BBQ €213 Homestore & More

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Folks,

I'm in the market for a gas bbq.

I see this in Argos:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4509411/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/c_2/3%7C19285823%7CGarden%7C14418875/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418875%7CGas+BBQs%7C14418882.htm

Has anyone any idea how it would compare to the HS&M bbqs asI expect the offer to be back shortly?

Thanks!

Homestore BBQ deals are for May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Thanks Jim,

I realise that but was wondering if anyone had a view as to which would be the better bbq - the HS&M one or the Argos one. I'm happy to wait a few weeks if the general view is the HS&M one is a better buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,694 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Home store deals are on now

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Someone mentioned GrillGrates a few pages back - they look interesting - has anyone tried them? Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭itsthisyear

Does anyone know if you can use the lava rocks in the HS&M bbqs???
    If not, any recommendations?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Charcoal? Sure thing.
    Gas? Nope.

I've that gas one, and while it may be logistically a thing, it's not something advised on the BBQ or the packet of rocks. I stick to smoking wood chips in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Does anyone know if you can use the lava rocks in the HS&M bbqs??? If not, any recommendations? Thanks!

If you got a basket to fit it, you could. HSM sell baskets for the 4 burner only for some reason.
    You remove the 4 flame gaurds and put the basket where they were.

Hmmmm. question for those more experienced in BBQ-ing than myself.
    Spent the last couple of evenings cleaning or rather attempting to clean my BBQ plates with not very much success. Are these easily replaceable? If so, where - do the likes of HS&M and Woodies/B&Q etc sell these? Any help appreciated!

Spent the last couple of evenings cleaning or rather attempting to clean my BBQ plates with not very much success. Are these easily replaceable? If so, where - do the likes of HS&M and Woodies/B&Q etc sell these? Any help appreciated!

Have you tried using HG?

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/detergents/oven-grill-and-bbq-cleaner/900895.html

Very good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Charcoal? Sure thing.
    Gas? Nope.

I've that gas one, and while it may be logistically a thing, it's not something advised on the BBQ or the packet of rocks. I stick to smoking wood chips in it.

I have have used lava rocks (on one side) no problem in the 600 gas burner - they even sell a basket to do this so there is no issue with it. I was looking at it this evening as the rack I use is home made so was thinking of just buying this as a replacement-descritpion says suitable for the 400, but i checked in store and it does fit 500 and 600. (To cover all burners you’d need 2 in the 400 and possibly 3 in the 600.)

Some info here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

It's all mental with everything else I guess, and during the beginning with heroin.

ablelocks wrote:
    I have have used lava rocks (on one side) no problem in the

How do you find the BBQ? How long have you had it? Do you keep it inside or outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

These BBQ's from HS&M are the business.

First winter it was stored in the shed but since then neglect has crept in and its been left out and there is still no signs of any rust.

Just on the cleaning, I use Mr Muscle oven spray along with a wire brush. Just leave the spray working its magic for a half hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Dealz do an oven cleaning kit and you put your racks in it. Wonder if it'd be any good for the bbq. Needs to be left overnight to soak, but pretty good on the oven results

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Thanks. I'll try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Towel into the bottom of a bath or shower.(old one,it's just to prevent damage). Place plates on top and cover them with HOT water. Dilute a dishwasher tab or washing tab in a separate jug,add and leave overnight. Easy clean the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

My 400 model is on its third year now.
    Fired it up last week and it's as good as new. Very little rust. It was stored outdoors under a tarp the entire time.

I thought I'd only get 2 years out of it.

I'm going to pick up a replacement tarp this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

For anyone looking for a Charcoal BBQ - they had the Weber GBS MasterTouch 57cm (Smoke Grey) in B&Q (Liffey Valley) last week for €180

It was this model - https://www.woodies.ie/weber-master-touch-gbs-57cm-charcoal-bbq-black-1113965

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

My 400 model is on its third year now.
    Fired it up last week and it's as good as new. Very little rust. It was stored outdoors under a tarp the entire time.

Same here with the 600, 3rd season with it. I gave it it's first proper bloody good clean 2 weeks ago, and have had 4 BBQ's already with it, and hopefully a lot more this weekend.

The gas bottle ran out just as I was toasting the burger buns on Monday! talk about perfect timing! Which reminds me I need a new bottle of gas! Gas could get scarce over the weekend!

600 is €274.99 , I'm sure I paid more than that for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

The gas bottle ran out just as I was toasting the burger buns on Monday! talk about perfect timing! Which reminds me I need a new bottle of gas! Gas could get scarce over the weekend!

I keep a second bottle spare, then rotate them so I'm never caught out. Sometimes people give them away empty on adverts.

TK Maxx did great smoking chips last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Folks,

I'm in the market for a gas bbq.

I see this in Argos:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4509411/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/c_2/3%7C19285823%7CGarden%7C14418875/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418875%7CGas+BBQs%7C14418882.htm

Has anyone any idea how it would compare to the HS&M bbqs asI expect the offer to be back shortly?

Thanks!

is that argos one any use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Simona1986 wrote: »
    How do you find the BBQ? How long have you had it? Do you keep it inside or outdoors?

its fine - gas bbq is handier for us, no faffing about waiting for coals etc. Into year 3, but kept in garage and used all year round. Had a 400 previously and made the mistake of leaving outside - the gas inlet pipe (the rectangular one at the back that feeds each of the burners) rusted away to nothing on it. I suspect they're not built to last anyway with the heat that is generated and it is difficult to get spares. I got the 600 in sept. 2016 at bargain price of 150 or 175 so went with that - if it's minded we should get a good few years out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

ablelocks wrote: »
    its fine - gas bbq is handier for us, no faffing about waiting for coals etc. Into year 3, but kept in garage and used all year round. Had a 400 previously and made the mistake of leaving outside - the gas inlet pipe (the rectangular one at the back that feeds each of the burners) rusted away to nothing on it. I suspect they're not built to last anyway with the heat that is generated and it is difficult to get spares. I got the 600 in sept. 2016 at bargain price of 150 or 175 so went with that - if it's minded we should get a good few years out of it.

Ya... that is currently happening on my 400 and am worried that I wont get thru the Summer with it. Can it be replaced or anything??? Looks very flimsey for the job it need to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Thinking of buying one of these today.

Apart from size, is there much difference between 400, 500 and 600? The 400 is large enough for me, but if build quality is better in the 500 or 600 I'll go for that. Don't want to spend the extra money unnecessarily though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Lads thinking of getting the 600 one of these BBQ’s from HS&M. Just wondering what would I need to get the lava stones. Is it just the couple of grates posted above , Lava Rocks and away we go? Sorry don’t know too much about BBQ’s only that we have Lava stones in our last one and Gas and I preferred that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

bigron2109 wrote:
    Lads thinking of getting the 600 one of these BBQ’s from HS&M. Just wondering what would I need to get the lava stones. Is it just the couple of grates posted above , Lava Rocks and away we go? Sorry don’t know too much about BBQ’s only that we have Lava stones in our last one and Gas and I preferred that.

As far as I know yeah, there's instructions on the back of the grates anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

Bargain tip: Don't buy lava rocks for a new Gas BBQ.

A lot of people seem to think Lava rocks = charcoal flavour. The manufacturers of the product and sales people in BBQ shops are in no rush to correct people on this. Charcoal is burnt wood.. lava rocks are rocks.. they're not adding to the flavour directly. Gas BBQs have flame tamers (the long metal hats above the burners) which will catch fat and cause it to burn and add smoke flavor to the food. The lava rocks do the same. You're meant to take these tamers out if you are using lava rocks as the rocks replace them.

The rocks are meant for older gas grills that don't heat the tamers evenly as the burners are dying (or that don't have tamers at all). You shouldn't need them on a new gas BBQ. The only caveat to that is unless you want to change the way cooking works on the griil. They do give you a heat sink to cook with which means you cook more like a charcoal grill (which is where the confusion started) in that you can't instantly control heat (turning off the burners won't cut the heat straight off as the rocks are now hot). One of the main benefits of gas over charcoal is being able to have instant control of the heat but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Bought the 400 yesterday.

A pain to assemble, and some of the screws don't seem particularly secure. Also, one of the feet on the non-wheel legs snapped.

But, it's built now and had its first outing yesterday evening. Really easy to use, and cooks very well. Definitely great value at €200, and looks really well on the decking!

Note that the BBQ uses propane. Not sure how common this is, as my previous one used butane. Woodies were sold out of it yesterday evening when I discovered this. Had to borrow some to get up and running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Had a look at these in HSM today. You're getting a decent bbq for the money but the difference in build quality even compared to the other lower end brands is noticeable. Definitely not as much weight to them as the Omaha and Sahara brands in Woodies.

That said, take good care of it and douse it in WD-40 every couple of months, no reason you wouldn't get a number of years out of one.

So like any HSM deal, judge it on the price you're paying, not on the half price you're supposed to be saving.

Had a look at these in HSM today. You're getting a decent bbq for the money but the difference in build quality even compared to the other lower end brands is noticeable. Definitely not as much weight to them as the Omaha and Sahara brands in Woodies.

A Sahara 4 burner is also 450euro tho, so for 250 more than HSM 4 burner, it would want to be a bit heavier...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I got this one a couple of years ago.
    https://www.irishsportswarehouse.ie/outdoor/barbecues/embermann-portland-4-burner-gas-bbq

It's a beast of a yoke and weighs a tonne. Much better quality than the HSM ones. Great price for what you are getting.

Advertisement