Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Star Lord wrote: »
    No mentions of Hyrule Warriors yet...
    Amazon dispatched mine on Saturday, estimated delivery date was today, no sign, but I wasn't expecting it till tomorrow realistically.
    Anyone playing it?

Picking it up on Friday. Very much looking forward to it.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I picked up Bowser's Inside Story a while back for a price I couldn't pass up. Finally got around to playing it at the weekend. Opened up the box only to discover that they actually put the Partners In Time cartridge in there instead!:mad:

I feel so out of balance now. Like a cat without whiskers. If anyone comes across the cartridge for BIS and the case and manual for PIT could you please point me towards them? :o

PIT is actually verygood though. I've sunk about 4 hours into it so far and it's quite enjoyable.

Happened to me once with the Star Wars Starfighter game on PS2. The sequel was in the box.

Even now when I look at it among the rest of my collection...it just makes me...uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

hyrule warriors right now, in between making dinner. just arrived and its every bit as awesome in retail form as it was during early hands ons. im moderately concerned about longevity, but that's based on nothing more than the kind of game it is

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

What amn't I playing?

WiiU:
    Just started playing W101, right at the beginnning.
    Mario Kart 8, still just playing online.
    Mario 3d World - Playing with my nephew so have to wait for him to play it. Just finished world 8 so moving onto to post game content now.
    Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate is untouched.

3DS:
    Mega Man 2 on VC
    Cave Story
    Luigi's Mansion 2
    Resi Revelations
    Smash Demo

I really need to start focusing on finishing games before starting new ones.
    Feeling overwhelmed at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

One of my daughters has (fingers crossed) turned a major corner in toilet training, so playing a bit of Rabbids Go Home on the vWii. Just rounding up the gold bricks in Lego Marvel SuperHeroes to unlock the additional levels while waiting for Bayonetta or Hyrule Warriors.

On 3DS I've started on Kirby and the Magic Mirror on the VC, which is fun but not terribly difficult. Think I'm done with the Smash Demo. Trying to give Inazuma 11 a shot but it's a really slow starter.

• Advertisement

Mr Postman just called...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

COYVB wrote: »
    Mr Postman just called...

How did you get it :o

Game journo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,713 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ah sure you don't need 2 copies. I vote donating one to any members named after a character from a John Travolta/Nic Cage movie. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What region are they?

Edit: hold on, French label there and a vague memory of you being in Canada answers that one :(

Hopes of buying a pal copy from you dashed :(

• Advertisement

Tbh you'd be welcome to it. I don't understand the love for the series. I only played brawl for the first time during the summer and found it to be a massive let down.

I'm embargoed on this one, but I'll just say that, after a few hours, if I didn't have to play it for work I'd certainly never consider turning it back on again.

I just don't get it at all. The combat lacks any of the fluidity of a street fighter, everything's too chaotic and the controls are rubbish

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Expecting Street Fighter from it is the wrong way to be. It plays like no other fighting game. It is chaotic which makes it a great party game but once you get over that it's surprisingly deep. If you are going to just play single player than you're going to be disappointed. It's not for everyone either.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not for everyone either.

I think that's going to be something we see cropping up a lot regarding the 3DS version anyway (most likely the Wii U version, too). It's definitely not anything resembling accessible, to the extent that if you've not already been playing and enjoying the previous games there's probably no point in bothering with this one. Which is fair enough really

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

COYVB wrote: »
    It's definitely not anything resembling accessible, to the extent that if you've not already been playing and enjoying the previous games there's probably no point in bothering with this one. Which is fair enough really

I really couldn't agree with that, in fact, I'd say it's probably one of the most accessible, as with that chaotic nature, newbies can enjoy it and can get lucky quite often in it, unless they're fighting someone that's mastered various characters.

Star Lord wrote: »
    I really couldn't agree with that, in fact, I'd say it's probably one of the most accessible, as with that chaotic nature, newbies can enjoy it and can get lucky quite often in it, unless they're fighting someone that's mastered various characters.

It's really not, im talking about the 3ds version exclusively here. It's incredibly counter intuitive because the controls on the system really aren't geared towards a fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Are you talking about button layout or something else? Is button layout not customisable?
    Will be very disappointed if not, I found the controls in the demo a bit off.

Also, is there any CPP support? Love me some second stick action!

That didn't come out the way I meant it.

No CPP support, and yeah it's a combination of button layout and actual 3DS form factor. It's not a comfortable game to play. Why they couldn't give the option to swap the d-pad and circle pad I don't know, but the circle pad is a nightmare

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,000 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I still think the 3DS version is, at best, a mere tide over until the Wii U version. I played the demo, and while technically it's a feat, I just feel it is ill-suited to portable play. You want proper (GameCube ;)) controllers, a big screen and some friends for proper local multiplayer. Handheld isn't the same, even when the systems are linked. The controls in the demo are a mess (customisable to a degree in the full version I believe) and above all it made me want to play its big brother because surely it will work a whole lot better.

I'd also say, new characters aside, it seems something of an incremental upgrade, even by Smash Bros standards. Of course it's a franchise where fine tuning is the order of the day given it is such an elegant balance and the demo is limited by its very nature, but I think the whole roster of new characters and stages needs to offer something fresher too.

First broken circle pad in the office anyway. Our resident Smash Bros. guy now has a CP that randomly picks which direction it's going to stick in, despite the pad being centred visually

Back playing 3D World. Had finished the main game and started Star World. So now after dying a lot, I decided to go back and get all missed stars, etc and build up my lives again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I've been playing through the campaigns of Cursed Mountain and The Conduit on and off as well as trying to unlock all the characters on Sonic & Sega All-Stars racing.
    I played a tiny bit of The Last Story and decided to shelve it until i got through a bit of my back catalog...which doesn't seem to be happening :(

How's Cursed Mountain? It's a game that sounded interesting but could be boring

CastorTroy wrote: »
    How's Cursed Mountain? It's a game that sounded interesting but could be boring

A survival horror set in the 80's where you play as mountaineer Eric Simmons searching for his brother Frank, who has accidentally unleashed a curse on the mountain and valley.

It's...interesting. a bit of a mix between older and newer horror games. Movement and melee combat is something like tank controls but nowhere near as bad. you then switch to a third person over the shoulder view for ranged combat. Combat itself is easy enough and you will only get into trouble when facing a group of enemies.

Graphics are average i guess, good for the Wii anyway but it does sometimes get too dark to see anything. The game is brilliantly atmospheric and quite creepy. It incorporates a lot of Buddhism and eastern religions into it's backstory and setting and as you go further and further up the mountain you do feel the solitude your character is suppose to be feeling. Gameplay-wise, you're usually going along a linear track or a big open village with a lot of going forward and back or from house to house looking for items.
    Health is a bitch though as in order to heal, you need to burn incense sticks you find at special shrines, and they don't even heal you that much, meaning you need to smash every vase you see hoping to pick some more up. You can also heal by performing a "cleansing ritual" on ghosts once they've taken enough damage. This is usually grand but sometimes the Wii doesn't register when you push the remote forward meaning you have to start again.

I wouldn't consider it boring, but Cursed mountain is a deliberately slow game. Your guy runs at a realistic enough speed and there aren't that many enemies to fight compared to other horror games now. There's an awful lot of exploring. I picked mine up for a fiver and at that price it's well worth it. Iv'e heard it's also available on PC but iv'e no idea what that version is like.

Imagine something like Escape from Bug Island but creepy and not absolute $h!t.

so there was an update for smash that has improved things a LOT online. There's a distinct lack of options for ranked play, but group play with friends is customizable to the hilt. Performance isn't 100% yet, but it's vastly improved. I'm actually quite enjoying it now

Was wondering if Cursed Mountain is worth a go.

Cheers for that. I'll get it if i see in on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Slicing my way through Hyrule Warriors, and really enjoying it! Particularly the local co-op play!

Ol' Donie wrote: »

I hope you enjoy it if you do get it. I'd still recommend maybe looking at a youtube video or two. as they say, a picture paints a thousand words.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Playing a bit of Kirby's Dreamland 3 on the SNES, still a lovely lovely game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Ol' Donie wrote: »

bought it recently for 5 or 6 euro in CEX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Started Hyrule Warrior's last night. I like it, lots to do in it. It will tide me over till Bayonetta 1&2 and The Evil Within.

Advertisement