Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Car Trouble

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

OP I'm not clear on whether you have come to terms with the fact that it may be impossible to get the hummer but if you have and are open to other cars have you looked into the car rental companies. Rent one of the high end cars and ask a friend/family member to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Irish Lion wrote: »
    White car, white tape holding 2 back windows up, black duck tape in the rear seats and covered in rust that was freshly painted over and I mean freshly painted over because it was wet.

I've never seen a black duck before! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Irish Lion

It's probably a blessing in disguise OP. The only way a hummer would work IMO is if the whole wedding was purposely over the top tacky, then it would be good fun. But if the wedding is an elegant affair, then the car would be talked about by some of your guests as a negative and would completely take away from "the beautiful bride".

As has been said already, it's just a car. That's it. It will not in any way shape or form affect your marriage, and the only way a car should affect your day is if it breaks down and doesn't get you to where you're going.

The new owner may be willing to take the job, have you looked into that option? Do you have any friends who drive soft tops or anything like that?

I'm not disagreeing with anyone's opinion of the car choice but I don't think anyone but us should have an opinion that matters on the choice of car, tacky or not but it was the only real stipulation placed on the plans by herself and that was on the day we got engaged.

Herself is trying to contact the new owner.

If it's remembered or not, again is straying form the thread topic. That's up to us to consider, not you but thanks for your opinions.

I've never seen a black duck before! :pac:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0013AX6FC?pc_redir=1400867226&robot_redir=1

It might even have looked better if they used silver. :)

bee06 wrote: »
    OP I'm not clear on whether you have come to terms with the fact that it may be impossible to get the hummer but if you have and are open to other cars have you looked into the car rental companies. Rent one of the high end cars and ask a friend/family member to drive.

I have come to terms with this and are looking at alternatives.

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    I think most posters objected more to your suggestion of harassment towards the original supplier rather than your choice of vehicle.

If that's true then why all the trolling about car choice....

If I was a supplier of a service and let someone down, I hope I'd be making more of an effort to fix the problem.

Putting the issue out there my prevent this vendor from doing it to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

If I was a supplier of a service and let someone down, I hope I'd be making more of an effort to fix the problem.

Putting the issue out there my prevent this vendor from doing it to someone else.

what more of an effort would you do if you were in his situation, out of interest?
    would you be prepared to bleed money for another couple of months to still make a loss on the car?
    especially when you have to look at it from a purely commercial sense and not get emotional about it.

people involved in the wedding industry may give the feeling that they're emotionally involved, but it boils down to one thing, and one thing only. if they can't make it worth their while, then it's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

Not sure if it has been already been said but possibly the original guy still has the number of the guy he sold it to, few quid for the new owner & you are happy. Don't know about legalities about insurance if he is private owner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's not trolling when someone disagrees with you. A H2 is a very... particular type of car, and one that doesn't appeal to a lot of people. They're merely expressing that opinion as a way to help shift your thinking towards an alternative model that you might be happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Suppose she wouldn't go for a hummer limo would she?... Defo agree with trying to contact the new owner of the one you found. people would be interested done it myself on a car and twas grand just drove the bride and groom to the church and reception.. Sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Far too many people ITT trying to tell OP how to have his wedding.

Nobody cares what car you turned up to your wedding in. If he and his wife-to-be want a hummer then you can either try and help (as a few posters have) or leave it. Some of the begrudgery is actually laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

My two p:

I appreciate its seems like a big thing - but if you sweat this now and it becomes an issue, then it could begin to eat into your day.

Find someone in a vintage club and ask them to do you a favor. I used an old jag (Sweeny style). Smelled of mold and pee inside, but I forgave the new wife.

Serious, don't let this take over. There will be plenty between here and the church to worry about. Use any spare money on something that will surprise her - fireworks?* doves?*

*grasping at the feminine side there....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

IRE60 wrote: »
    Use any spare money on something that will surprise her - fireworks?* doves?*

*grasping at the feminine side there....

Doves that explode into fireworks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Now you're talking

Nobody cares what car you turned up to your wedding in. If he and his wife-to-be want a hummer then you can either try and help (as a few posters have) or leave it. Some of the begrudgery is actually laughable.

i'm not sure if you're understanding begrudgery. a difference in taste is not begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭popepaisley1

i think the guy renting the hummer has been more than fair. he's given you your deposit back, offered you alternatives....

I think it's time for a bit of really negative publicity for this guy...Facebook and Twitter will do for a start..................................:mad:

^^^^^but this tells me a lot about you. the guy is trying to stay in business and you are trying to organize a hate campaign. the arrogance of you as well to think that posters on boards are no better and can be called on for your own personal army so you can try and put this guy outta work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Is there something specific about the H2 that your bride likes, that maybe we could think of ideas to find a different vehicle that matches the same ideals?

Like if she likes a spectacle vehicle, maybe one of those fire engine trucks would be cool?

If she wants glam then maybe a helicopter?

If she loves bling then maybe a Range Rover?

Please excuse if I've made rubbish suggestions - I know nothing about cars myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

It's interesting. When someone recently cancelled a band at about that (or even more) notice, without contract other than the deposit, and happily forfeited the deposit, they took reams of abuse from people saying that their behaviour was a disgrace, and they should pay the band in full, also thenlegalmadvice was that there was an implied contract and they could be sued for the full amount. This situation is no different in principle. If I were the owner, I would have fulfilled all bookings before selling, unless the car was knackered to the extent it was unreliable. He had given his word, and accepted a deposit.
    I think you are right to feel aggrieved, but suspect chasing this probably isn't worth it. Shame as I have a lovely vintage jag you could have for free if you looked after it, but its in Manchester.
    FWIW my father in law booked a wedding bentley for us, and it was the most boring part of the day. The waste of money galled me, as he couldn't really afford it, but he wanted it. I'd far rather have been driven by my brother or best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Agree why to judging tis up to them what they want. he didn't ask to be criticised.....

flatty wrote: »
    It's interesting. When someone recently cancelled a band at about that (or even more) notice, without contract other than the deposit, and happily forfeited the deposit, they took reams of abuse from people saying that their behaviour was a disgrace, and they should pay the band in full, also thenlegalmadvice was that there was an implied contract and they could be sued for the full amount. This situation is no different in principle. If I were the owner, I would have fulfilled all bookings before selling, unless the car was knackered to the extent it was unreliable. He had given his word, and accepted a deposit.
    I think you are right to feel aggrieved, but suspect chasing this probably isn't worth it. Shame as I have a lovely vintage jag you could have for free if you looked after it, but its in Manchester.
    FWIW my father in law booked a wedding bentley for us, and it was the most boring part of the day. The waste of money galled me, as he couldn't really afford it, but he wanted it. I'd far rather have been driven by my brother or best friend.

i think in that thread people were arguing that the band would be down a fair whack of money due to the late cancellation. in this case, he's been offered a refund or money off an alternative.
    Milly33 wrote: »
    Agree why to judging tis up to them what they want. he didn't ask to be criticised.....

i think what's irked a lot of people was the OP trying to get people to gang up on the man via social media

• Advertisement

what more of an effort would you do if you were in his situation, out of interest?
    would you be prepared to bleed money for another couple of months to still make a loss on the car?
    especially when you have to look at it from a purely commercial sense and not get emotional about it.

people involved in the wedding industry may give the feeling that they're emotionally involved, but it boils down to one thing, and one thing only. if they can't make it worth their while, then it's not going to happen.

I agree with this but it's very problematic when one gets stung

Faith wrote: »
    It's not trolling when someone disagrees with you. A H2 is a very... particular type of car, and one that doesn't appeal to a lot of people. They're merely expressing that opinion as a way to help shift your thinking towards an alternative model that you might be happy with.

I never asked anyone opinion about out choice of car. So many posters are telling me to "get over it" so why don't they just "get over it".
    If I find a suitable alternative that's available, then great but not so far.

Milly33 wrote: »
    Suppose she wouldn't go for a hummer limo would she?... Defo agree with trying to contact the new owner of the one you found. people would be interested done it myself on a car and twas grand just drove the bride and groom to the church and reception.. Sorted

Already enquired about some 10 seaters but not available. I don't think that they would get up the road. Trucks can't.

Now that is my kind of surprise....
    Any know where I could get a few....

i think the guy renting the hummer has been more than fair. he's given you your deposit back, offered you alternatives....

^^^^^but this tells me a lot about you. the guy is trying to stay in business and you are trying to organize a hate campaign. the arrogance of you as well to think that posters on boards are no better and can be called on for your own personal army so you can try and put this guy outta work.

Where is the request for a call to arms??
    I haven't posted the name of the company in question.
    I don't need boards to for what you think I suggested but I was looking for answers to the question that I posted earlier.
    Stay on topic......

Is there something specific about the H2 that your bride likes, that maybe we could think of ideas to find a different vehicle that matches the same ideals?

Like if she likes a spectacle vehicle, maybe one of those fire engine trucks would be cool?

If she wants glam then maybe a helicopter?

If she loves bling then maybe a Range Rover?

Please excuse if I've made rubbish suggestions - I know nothing about cars myself!

It got something to do with something that happened a while back and it was just one of her wishes for the day.

I do like the fire engine suggestion :)

It got something to do with something that happened a while back and it was just one of her wishes for the day.

I do like the fire engine suggestion :)

try and get a green goddess!!

try and get a green goddess!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Goddess

I like it but my missus to be would freak.......

i think what's irked a lot of people was the OP trying to get people to gang up on the man via social media

I never asked anyone to gang up on anyone.
    I only stated my intent, not a call for support.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Contrasting to most other replies, I sympathise and I feel it's bad form on the part of the vendor. We don't obviously know the ins and outs of the agreement and when it was booked, but it is poor form regardless of the reason.

It would have been probably better to drop the last paragraph of your original post as this comes across negatively but it is understandable. If the hummer was something you really wanted, it's ok to be angry. I'm sure when the dust settles you'll probably regret the suggestion of the negative publicity. However people in your predicament often leaves reviews of their experience with vendors on relevant websites.

You're going to be hard pressed to find the right car you want or even your second or third choice at this stage. It might be worth hiring a high end car from a rental company and have someone drive it for you?

Advertisement