Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Car Trouble

Options
  • 23-05-2014 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

We booked our wedding car (a H2 Hummer) a while back and today we got a call from the hire service telling us that that car was no longer available as it was "Just Killing Him". I assume by this he means that it was costing him a fortune to run or it was getting no business.
    He has offered us our deposit back or €100 off another car that to be honest is just not anything like we want.
    What are we to do with only 8 weeks to go?
    My wife to be has not been fussy about this wedding but a H2 is just something she wanted and she was over the moon when we eventually got one.
    This weekend is the Hen and she is totally gutted because of this. It has taken a bit of the shine off what should have been a great weekend for her.

I can't figure out why didn't get more notice if he was trying to sell the H2...

Does anyone have any idea where we would get a H2 for hire in Cork???

I think it's time for a bit of really negative publicity for this guy...Facebook and Twitter will do for a start..................................:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Irish Lion wrote: »

I think it's time for a bit of really negative publicity for this guy...Facebook and Twitter will do for a start..................................:mad:
    I think that would be very unreasonable.
    It's unfortunate, but he's offered your money back and it's not last minute..
    You have time to organise alternative transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I can't figure out why didn't get more notice if he was trying to sell the H2...

Does anyone have any idea where we would get a H2 for hire in Cork???

In all fairness, he's given you two months to find a car, plus giving you your deposit back or money off a different rental. I can't really see why you'd go about badmouthing him, seems a little childish. What was he supposed to do, keep losing money keeping up a car so you and your wife can have the car you want in 2 months time?

Sorry I can't help you find people that do the H2 in Cork, but maybe some of the other companies offer them nationwide?

http://www.absolutehummers.ie/portfolio-categories/hummers/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

8 weeks should be plenty of time to arrange another car. IMHO proper notice was given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Irish Lion

9 phone calls this afternoon and only one car available for our date and that is a genuine heap of S*it.
    We saw it last year and it was in terrible condition then.
    In the Cork area, there are no cars that are not held together with tape and rust available for our date.
    I think that you don't know how difficult it is to get something that you actually want, not what others think will do, when you book over a year in advance, not to mention 8 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

I know she had her heart set on it, but the day is about much more than a car. Surely there is something nice out there that will do the job, i.e. take her to the ceremony and then onto wherever the party/reception is on.

Rochester wrote: »
    I know she had her heart set on it, but the day is about much more than a car. Surely there is something nice out there that will do the job, i.e. take her to the ceremony and then onto wherever the party/reception is on.

If there is something out there that may suit, it didn't pop up today.
    Rang all the cards I had from the wedding shows and nothing doing for our date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Break of contract. Take them to court after the wedding for the cost of replacement hire of a car.

Break of contract. Take them to court after the wedding for the cost of replacement hire of a car.

You don't know that it's a breach of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Have you tried asking what price he would do it for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Addle wrote: »
    You don't know that it's a breach of contract.

Why take a deposit if you are not offering a contract.

Even if there is a contract, we don't know its content.

Why take a deposit if you are not offering a contract.

May well have been a contract, could also have been a contract stating that either party can cancel the arrangement with reasonable notice (such as 8 weeks).

Either way, if the guy had to sell the H2 as he couldn't afford to run it then it doesn't sound like there'll be much to be gained from suing him. Also it wouldn't much help OP organise a car for the wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Op could you ask if he sold the hummer to another company who does wedding car hire? And in turn you could contact them...? Just a last resort I spose...

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Op could you ask if he sold the hummer to another company who does wedding car hire? And in turn you could contact them...? Just a last resort I spose...

I will ask the original vendor what is the story with the H2 and if it's available on our required date, ill book it(within reason-the original price).
    Is there not a responsibility on the original vendor to supply the service if it's available??
    A solicitor mate of mine thinks that the vendor is responsible to cover the cost of a similar booking if they can't fulfil the original booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Stanlex

In all fairness I think both you and your wife to be are over reacting. You have 8 weeks. The guy might of genuinely went out of business and you suggest bad mouthing him?

I wish you a happy marriage but my God.

http://www.limobroker.ie/limo-hire-ireland/southern-ireland/

Stanlex wrote: »
    In all fairness I think both you and your wife to be are over reacting. You have 8 weeks. The guy might of genuinely went out of business and you suggest bad mouthing him?

I wish you a happy marriage but my God.

http://www.limobroker.ie/limo-hire-ireland/southern-ireland/

If you think 8 weeks to get a H2 for cork for our date (a Saturday in July) is not going to be an issue, then you try booking one..........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

They're a crass car anyway, might as well be in a pink stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭chuckyarelaw

daveohdave wrote: »
    They're a crass car anyway, might as well be in a pink stretch.

Glad someone made this point. No demand for them means the guy had to sell up.

It sounds harsh but grow a pair and quit the whinging. It won't matter if you use an ass and cart on your wedding day when you look back on the big day in 5 or 10 years time.

Glad someone made this point. No demand for them means the guy had to sell up.

I agree but it is a genuine wish that my wife to be has...
    It sounds harsh but grow a pair and quit the whinging. It won't matter if you use an ass and cart on your wedding day when you look back on the big day in 5 or 10 years time.

Perhaps you are right but we plan to only do this once and we want to do it our way, not anyone else's way.
    For us it's more about the way it was done.
    IMO, if the vendor was going to move on the H2, he should have told us when he decided to move on the H2 and that it may have been a possibility that the car may not be available for our date if he got as buyer before then.
    We could have (only could have) had a better chance of organising a suitable alternative if we had more time but now there seems to be very few viable options that to be honest, aren't worth paying for.

• Advertisement

You said that he called you to tell you, what makes you think he knew before he called?

You said that he called you to tell you, what makes you think he knew before he called?

Because he said that he waited until he had another car to offer us at discount....

Did he say how long?

Whether or which, what's done is done, unless you're proposing to go legal over it, which is a waste of time and effort for everyone involved, or you just came here to bitch, then like the other poster says, move on, get on with it. Ask in the classics forum if someone would be willing to help you out. She'd look a lot classier in a Bentley than she would in a heap of crap like a Hummer.

You should tell her that btw. The Hummer isn't just tasteless, it's a _bad_ vehicle. Only stupid people will be impressed by it.

Did he say how long?

He didn't say
    Whether or which, what's done is done, unless you're proposing to go legal over it, which is a waste of time and effort for everyone involved, or you just came here to bitch,.

Both
    She'd look a lot classier in a Bentley than she would in a heap of crap like a Hummer.
    You should tell her that btw. The Hummer isn't just tasteless, it's a _bad_ vehicle. Only stupid people will be impressed by it.

The choice of car is ours not yours. I haven't asked for other opinions on what is or is not a good choice of cars but thanks for your input....

He didn't say

It could have been a week then, or a day.
    Both

Bitching I can understand, but legal? Grow up.

It could have been a week then, or a day.

Bitching I can understand, but legal? Grow up.

Again, Thanks so much for your input

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 ezopsae

Seems childish that someone could be so fixated on a hummer and you would consider bad mouthing a guy in financial difficulty.

I'm sure there's lots of alternatives to be had. I saw a few of those pink stretch hummers going around Ballymun last week for a communion.

ezopsae wrote: »
    Seems childish that someone could be so fixated on a hummer and you would consider bad mouthing a guy in financial difficulty.

Childish and fixated.... Probably true but regardless of anyone else's opinion, that is what she wants and was under the impression that she had

Who said this guy was in financial trouble??? I didn't
    ezopsae wrote: »
    I'm sure there's lots of alternatives to be had. I saw a few of those pink stretch hummers going around Ballymun last week for a communion.

Alternatives...... A few
    Suitable alternatives....... Not so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Id ask anyone who thinks its crass to hold their views. After several years on here the over-riding opinion is "have your wedding your way". If that's what she wants let's help get it.

Op I think you need to let the original car go and you're not going to get any luck pursuing it. It really is unfortunate but I would have thought what he offered was reasonable.

Did you try countrywide for other hummers? May even if it costs extra to get it down to cork for the day?

• Advertisement

Did you try countrywide for other hummers? May even if it costs extra to get it down to cork for the day?

I'd be surprised if you couldn't get one from Dublin to drive down for the price of a tank of diesel and maybe an extra hundred quid or so, which is a lot of money but if it's that important to SWMBO then it'd be worth it.

Just remember : if she ain't happy then nobody aint happy.....

Advertisement