Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Car Trouble

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I was just going to say your hardle in Cork. Not sure if its a H2 hummer but there is chap living close to Douglas who has one of these, or he used to anyway I haven't seen it in a while.. I might know someone else let it with me ill be back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Is it worth putting the question to the chaps on the Motors forum? Someone there might know where to get the Hummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Stanlex

zvvib4.jpg

Ok so the chap who had one in Douglas has sold it, But you could chance giving Tom Carr a ring he deals mostly with Royces but he might know of someone with a hummer. Also the Steam Rally in Upton is on the june weekend you could go along and see if anyone there has one or knows of someone.. It would be good to post in the motor forum too as Aban said, all sound there... Another one is to try the American Car Club see if they know of anyone

check done deal too looks like there are two up for sale perhaps someone would be willing to use for the day

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Stanlex that's not helpful and it's not funny. If you can't make a worthwhile contribution to the thread please don't bother posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Irish Lion

I didn't mean to get anyone in to trouble with the mods. I was venting our frustration and we have taken on board the opinions and suggestions of the posters.
    Sorry if anyone gets in to a spot of bother.
    Mods: I don't take offence easily and I appreciate the opinion of all posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Stanlex

My apologies for the above post, it was meant as a joke.

Best of luck with the wedding and your life together.

American Car club says ne sorry

On the phone and net for the past 2 days and the best I can do is Belfast or the UK.
    Due to the distance and travel time, its not really an option from a financial point of view (got one quote for £2400stg).
    Herself will be back from the hen later today and lets see if a bit of time has softened the blow.
    Thanks for you help and suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

Sorry you lost the booking on the car you wanted but if he genuinely was unable to keep up running the car, then that's just it. I'm sure he wasn't out to upset you guys. Badmouthing him solves nothing. Most suppliers do the same or have same in contracts, if they're unable to provide the service they refund the deposit or offer an alternative. Surprisingly this is even common for photographers. If they're sick they provide an alternative photographer, if you don't like him then there's nothing you can do about it. It's just how it is. He offered you an alternative, which unfortunately didn't suit you.
    Really hope you find the car you're looking for.

I find the lack of knowledge here just overwhelming.
    Trying to hire anything for a wedding on a Saturday in July at such short notice is just impossible. What cars are available are the dregs left behind because nobody wants them. I saw a car today that had white tape holding on a window and duck tape on the rear seats and the individual still wanted €450 for the hire.
    This is why most people book so far in advance.
    Perhaps what has transpired is the norm as the last poster said but that doesn't make it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Irish Lion wrote: »
    Trying to hire anything for a wedding on a Saturday in July at such short notice is just impossible. What cars are available are the dregs left behind because nobody wants them. I saw a car today that had white tape holding on a window and duck tape on the rear seats and the individual still wanted €450 for the hire.
    Perhaps what has transpired is the norm as the last poster said but that doesn't make it right.

don't be so overwhelmed. As it's the height of the season, Anyone who hires cars aren't running their business right if they're not booked out.

http://europe.hireluxurycar.com/ireland

You may be in danger of letting it take over the day. Resign yourself to the fact you may not get what you want here. It happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Irish Lion wrote: »

It's a f*cking car. I'm sorry but seriously. Get over it already. You're getting married, you're celebrating the decision to spend the rest of your life with this woman. I really cannot believe your attitude to all of this. I find it amazing that you or your future wife would actually be upset about the car you'll be travelling in on the day.

Sure, it would have been nice to have had the one you wanted. The option is no longer there. Move along, get over it, focus on the important aspects of your wedding.

Maybe a friend with a nice car could give you a lift?

No one - NO ONE - is going to care or remember what car you travelled in on the day, apart from yourselves. It's such an insignificant thing to allow yourselves to get upset over, in the context of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I think you're putting far too much focus on this too OP. The only wedding car I ever remember was a pink fiat punto. The rest either went unnoticed at the time or have faded from memory. No one will care, I think you should let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It's not a lack of knowledge op. I think it's more a case that people here wouldn't prioritise a wedding car. It's often one of the first things to be cut if a budget is tight. I intend to travel to my wedding in my 6 yr old ford focus. And I'll be just as married as the person who arrives in a horse and carriage or whatever the trend might me. If none of the wedding cars around don't appeal to you, maybe buy a roll of ribbon, and pick the friend/family member with the nicest car, and ask them for a lift. It's not what you planned originally, but in the greater scheme of things, if the car is the biggest thing that goes wrong for you for the big day, you're doing well.

Reading the replies I think you all have the wrong end of the stick.
    I couldn't care less about your opinions on if the car was a good choice or how you prioritise wedding budgets, if you think no one will remember the car or even if you think is was an over reaction to post it on this forum. I really couldn't care less what ye think on these points. We are in this position, not you, so how we dictate our priorities and our reaction to it, is up to us not you.
    It's purely a question of "Did the vendor act properly?"
    "If not, what should be done to prevent this from happening to others?"
    "Are these vendors be regulated by law? And if not why not?
    "Where can we get a H2 at short notice?
    "What other options are available in the Cork area (that can be viewed to prevent us from getting something that would one tremble in fear)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Yes, he did act properly, he gave you enough notice (the day before or even the month before would be unreasonable but not two months), offered an alternative or offered you a complete refund.

get her a hummer trip up in Belfast after the wedding a day trip in one twud be much more fun

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I'm sure people will be falling all over themselves to help you after that rant! If you post in a public forum you don't get to dictate the responses you get. If you 'couldn't care less' about what people have posted so far, maybe they couldn't care less about your 'major issue'

• Advertisement

I'm sure people will be falling all over themselves to help you after that rant! If you post in a public forum you don't get to dictate the responses you get. If you 'couldn't care less' about what people have posted so far, maybe they couldn't care less about your 'major issue'

It was not a rant.. I'm trying to get this thread back on topic.
    I do however agree that on a public forum that the responses can not be dictated but some are trolling and I was under the impression that that was frowned upon on boards.ie.
    Perhaps I should have set out exactly what I was looking for earlier in the thread, so it's my fault for not being more specific. If you read the thread fully, I admit to venting when I originally started this thread and some of the posts have been very helpful with contact details for car hire companies and ideas about trying to find suitable alternatives but posters commenting on our choice of car or where our priorities lie is not our concern or for that matter their concern either.

If I had have been more specific at the start, perhaps it might have been obvious that I wasn't interested in trolls but getting a more specific line of replies.

Again,
    It's purely a question of "Did the vendor act properly?"
    "If not, what should be done to prevent this from happening to others?"
    "If so, why is it so difficult to find a suitable alternative?"
    "Are these vendors be regulated by law? And if not why not?
    "Where can we get a H2 at short notice?
    "What other options are available in the Cork area (that can be viewed to prevent us from getting something that would one tremble in fear)?

To those that did get what I was trying to say "THANKS" for your input

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

1. Yes
    2. N/A
    3. Because you have a very specific vision of what you want
    4. I'm not sure
    5. I'd start looking into the rental car market, perhaps, but I wouldn't be hopeful because a car like a H2 would not be a popular choice in this part of the world. Alternatively, I'd try to find someone who owns one privately and try to arrange something through that.
    6. As above. For wedding cars specifically, off the top of my head there's http://www.topclasslimousine.com/, http://www.sullivans.ie/Wedding.htm, http://www.yourwedding.ie/carhire.shtml, http://www.alleventslimos.com/weddings.php, http://www.weddingvintagecarhire.com/ and probably tons more. Or ask friends with nice cars if you can use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

It's all very easy to look back in hindsight and see the things that didn't matter on the day (the trimmings) and the things that do (the marriage).

In the pre wedding tension and scramble even the most otherwise calm and rational people can get upset over some details.

No point in telling anybody to cop on, or that it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, or that the marriage is most important - they know that.

Irish Lion if none of the leads suggested have got you what you want, then it's time to move onto Plan B and just accept that it is what it is.

You'll get sorted with something in the end - maybe pay for a driving experience for you both with the money when you come home from honeymoon, or hire a high grade car when you're away.

Honestly, your bride won't mind in time.

Good luck.

Faith wrote: »
    1. Yes
    2. N/A
    3. Because you have a very specific vision of what you want
    4. I'm not sure
    5. I'd start looking into the rental car market, perhaps, but I wouldn't be hopeful because a car like a H2 would not be a popular choice in this part of the world. Alternatively, I'd try to find someone who owns one privately and try to arrange something through that.
    6. As above. For wedding cars specifically, off the top of my head there's http://www.topclasslimousine.com/, http://www.sullivans.ie/Wedding.htm, http://www.yourwedding.ie/carhire.shtml, http://www.alleventslimos.com/weddings.php, http://www.weddingvintagecarhire.com/ and probably tons more. Or ask friends with nice cars if you can use them.

Thanks for your opinion.
    I'll go through the list of the alternate vendors that we have already contacted and try the ones on your list that we haven't yet tried.
    Just for info purposes, we have contacted over 30 vendors and only 1 had a car available for our date and when viewed, it was.......difficult to describe how bad this car was.
    White car, white tape holding 2 back windows up, black duck tape in the rear seats and covered in rust that was freshly painted over and I mean freshly painted over because it was wet.
    This car was probably dragged out and "Touched Up" for our viewing.

It's all very easy to look back in hindsight and see the things that didn't matter on the day (the trimmings) and the things that do (the marriage).

In the pre wedding tension and scramble even the most otherwise calm and rational people can get upset over some details.

No point in telling anybody to cop on, or that it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, or that the marriage is most important - they know that.

Irish Lion if none of the leads suggested have got you what you want, then it's time to move onto Plan B and just accept that it is what it is.

You'll get sorted with something in the end - maybe pay for a driving experience for you both with the money when you come home from honeymoon, or hire a high grade car when you're away.

Honestly, your bride won't mind in time.

Good luck.

I hope you're right because at this moment we feel very let down because we can't find a "SUITABLE" alternative and your suggestion looks like the only option.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/h2-tax-and-nct-mint-bentley-wanted/6216943

Is this the Hummer he has for sale OP? If so I'd suggest ringing him and asking him that if he doesn't sell it can you still use it on the day and if he does sell it then go with a plan B of using a friends car or try and negotiate that he asks the new owner if they will hire it out to you for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I think most posters objected more to your suggestion of harassment towards the original supplier rather than your choice of vehicle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

It says sold on the ad. In caps. :)

It's probably a blessing in disguise OP. The only way a hummer would work IMO is if the whole wedding was purposely over the top tacky, then it would be good fun. But if the wedding is an elegant affair, then the car would be talked about by some of your guests as a negative and would completely take away from "the beautiful bride".

As has been said already, it's just a car. That's it. It will not in any way shape or form affect your marriage, and the only way a car should affect your day is if it breaks down and doesn't get you to where you're going.

The new owner may be willing to take the job, have you looked into that option? Do you have any friends who drive soft tops or anything like that?

• Advertisement

daveohdave wrote: »
    It says sold on the ad. In caps. :)
    I will admit to not actually reading the ad...

Advertisement