Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''Shocking'' racist message on n7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Oink wrote: »
    I am more interested in the symbol at the end of it.
    Looks like a politically-correct'ed Swastika to me. When you link that you the anti-Israel slogan and the "us poor Irish are hard done by in our own country"....

I looks like the St Bridget's Cross to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

I Don't have to, I don't Feel the need to shout about Racism for other groups. That may have no Issue with it. To Many people get Faux outrage for other people. It’s the new opiate of the Masses.

nope, we still like opium

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I understand this may be the work of the Irish Nationalist Brotherhood, a great bunch of lads no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I always find it hilarious when things like this turn up and pedants try to defend it because 'it is not technically racist'. So what is then? Xenophobia, social commentary? One poster says it's an argument? But what kind of argument it it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ah the old mind readers are out. Proof ? Unless you can link to this groups website or something that shows them up as Racist.

When I read it, I immediately thought it was someone who was loudly exclaiming they don't feel like they have any kind of association with their nationality as their nation chooses to respect others more than it's citizens.

Then I saw the logo at the end of it. There may not be a significant group partaking in this. Maybe only a handful of people. But the intention is clearly to undermine the position of those foreign to this nation. Not to hold the nation accountable to it's citizens as a cursory glance would suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I think it may be a stylised St Bridgits cross. It's common enough for neo-nazi and supremacist groups to hijack ancient cultural and religious symbols for their own identity and propaganda.
    kiffer wrote: »
    [...]My mind went quickly to Swastika [...]

I rest my case...

EDIT: Unless they also say novenas at the weekend. In which case I stand corrected.

I Don't have to, I don't Feel the need to shout about Racism for other groups. That may have no Issue with it. To Many people get Faux outrage for other people. It’s the new opiate of the Masses.

So let me ask you this? You are walking down the street and you witness a person of colour getting racist abuse from a couple of teenagers. Do you interfere or do you just walk on assuming that the person isn't really that offended?

I think your viewpoint is a mistake, people aren't necessarily offended by these racist signs, maybe they are upset by them? They represent something a lot uglier in our society than something lefties can get offended over their hummus and crackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I wouldn't be wrong in saying i feel like a tourist at times in Dublin city center..

Culchies have a right to visit Dublin too.

I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,294 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jesus, if this is is what you consdier shocking, check out Harmonstown or Killester Dart Stations.

Regularly see stuff like "no jobs for paddies" etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

I Don't have to

But you have no problem telling us what it's not. Right.

Could it be you know exactly what it is but you don't want to say because you know how people are going to react?

I don't have to say that's what you're thinking so I'm not saying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

cisk wrote: »
    Looks like the Google Chrome logo to me.

thought the same!
    Perhaps it's a quirky viral marketing message.
    Next week... 'don't feel like a stragner anymore.... search for meetups and check maps with Chrome'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus, if this is is what you consdier shocking, check out Harmonstown or Killester Dart Stations.

Regularly see stuff like "no jobs for paddies" etc

Thank God there's plenty of jobs for Micks though…

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Where's shocking exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Lux23 wrote: »
    I always find it hilarious when things like this turn up and pedants try to defend it because 'it is not technically racist'. So what is then? Xenophobia, social commentary? One poster says it's an argument? But what kind of argument it it?

I was not Born here, I find It quite hilarious that people immediately jump on Their high horse Demanding reading into subtext or motives. When it could just as easily be someone Trolling to get people outraged. Notice no "Immigrants out" and so on. Notice other people getting outraged for other groups, When the other groups take it for what it is Ramblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,167 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You're easily 'shocked'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

You're taking the Morrissey thing a bit far…

Go on........ Explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

bumper234 wrote: »
    Not shocking.

Mildly racist.

Slightly offensive.

I for one am more.shocked that an idiot who would post graffiti like that has managed to do.so without any spelling mistakes.

Saying the Jews control world banking accompanied with a neo-Naziesque cross is more than "mildly" racist.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I find it difficult to interpret it in a way that isn't xenophobic/racist.

Wouldn't say it's shocking though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Go on........ Explain.

Seriously? There was the famous quote from the 2007 NME interview that mirrored almost exactly what you said…
    With the issue of immigration, it's very difficult because, although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears," he said. "If you walk through Knightsbridge on any bland day of the week you won't hear an English accent. You'll hear every accent under the sun apart from the British accent."

England is a memory now. The gates are flooded and anybody can have access to England and join in."

And, you know, the username…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I understand this may be the work of the Irish Nationalist Brotherhood, a great bunch of lads no doubt.

I wouldn't worry about one individual mad-man...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

When it could just as easily be someone Trolling to get people outraged.

So its not racism, its trolling? or its just a statement? ban them from posting, problem solved!

So let me ask you this? You are walking down the street and you witness a person of colour getting racist abuse from a couple of teenagers. Do you interfere or do you just walk on assuming that the person isn't really that offended?

I think your viewpoint is a mistake, people aren't necessarily offended by these racist signs, maybe they are upset by them? They represent something a lot uglier in our society than something lefties can get offended over their hummus and crackers.

So that writing on a hording has now turned into some hypothetical Clearly racist incident now ? It looks like your just making stuff up now to win an argument on something that could just be clearly a Troll. Or unstable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

These were nearly definitely white supremacists. I've came across a few in my life and they're the most dimwitted idiots you'll ever meet, under the impression that their skin colour has made them somehow more evolved than their African, Jewish and South American counterparts. By their own attitude they prove that their beliefs revolve around illogical arguments, prehistoric scientific studies and some serious insecurity.

By "Irish" they mean "white". I'm sick of this racist sh*t, we're all the same regardless of our skin colour.

This sums it up pretty well - "We are not myths of the past, ruins in the jungle, or zoos. We are people and we want to be respected, not to be victims of intolerance and racism." - Rigoberta Menchu

This is full-blown racism, not like the sh*t you see at soccer matches when bananas are thrown. This is against an entire race.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Seriously? There was the famous quote from the 2007 NME interview that mirrored almost exactly what you said…

And, you know, the username…

I dont remember ever reading that quote honestly i dont think i ever heard it mentioned before.

Hes said ALOT of quotable things its easy to get lost in them.

In this case i agree though Ireland is heading the very same way and in our case its worse seeing as where a tiny population compared to Britain.

I dont remember ever reading that quote honestly i dont think i ever heard it mentioned before.

Hes said ALOT of quotable things its easy to get lost in them.

In this case i agree though Ireland is heading the very same way and in our case its worse seeing as where a tiny population compared to Britain.

What do you mean "worse"?

I was not Born here, I find It quite hilarious that people immediately jump on Their high horse Demanding reading into subtext or motives. When it could just as easily be someone Trolling to get people outraged. Notice no "Immigrants out" and so on. Notice other people getting outraged for other groups, When the other groups take it for what it is Ramblings.

Why does it matter where you are born? Fair enough, it may well be trolling but what if it isn't? What if Ireland has another Anders Behring Breivik in the making? And if it is only trolling, why would it be anymore acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Oink wrote: »
    I am more interested in the symbol at the end of it.
    Looks like a politically-correct'ed Swastika to me. When you link that you the anti-Israel slogan and the "us poor Irish are hard done by in our own country"....

Looks like a St. Brid Cross to me
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=breed+cross+irish&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ia18U6zTCLSS7Aaa3oCoDw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=657#q=st.bride+cross&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgrc=CfflmOYhXY9WwM%253A%3BXZG02u-3VXdSiM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.stbride.org.uk%252Fimages%252Fcross.gif%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.stbride.org.uk%252Fabout.htm%3B258%3B261

Why does it matter where you are born? Fair enough, it may well be trolling but what if it isn't? What if Ireland has another Anders Behring Breivik in the making? And if it is only trolling, why would it be anymore acceptable?

You're making Anders Behring Breivik sound like the innocent victim.

Is it the immigrant's fault for going to Norway that that lunatic decided to shoot a load of innocent people?

There is alot of what if's in there I generally take little stock in graffiti same with people holding up banners or plaques. It's interesting to see people furiously come up with examples of clear racism to something that's nothing. Were did it say “Immigrants out” or anything like that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

What's wrong with Britain? Do you have a problem with a Multicultural environment?

Advertisement