Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''Shocking'' racist message on n7

Options
  • 21-05-2014 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭

Just seen this online more then likely its already been talked about on here ??

Anyway..... http://www.thejournal.ie/racist-graffiti-newlands-cross-1476209-May2014/

Lets just say ive had conversations with people about this subject many a time. I wouldn't be wrong in saying i feel like a tourist at times in Dublin city center.

Do wonder what the same situation will be like in say ten years time?

I also feel the word racist has lost its meaning at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I wouldn't be wrong in saying i feel like a tourist at times in Dublin city center.
    Why? Do you keep getting lost and have to ask for directions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Not sure I'd call the slogans "racist" per say, but certainly loony and cowardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

It's impressive that they only spray it on temporary walls. Very considerate. It's all spelled correctly too.

Conclusion - it's DDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Not sure I'd call the slogans "racist" per say, but certainly loony and cowardly.

Its not racist the word is just a cover word for so many things people dont like these days. Its an argument starter and winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

You need to share the world, not build a wall around your little bit of it.

-Funk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Yeah I mean if the rants are factually accurate then they cant be racist. People can try and take them that way. The Jewish one is borderline as it’s nearly stereo typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I would say xenophobic more than racist.

Looks like they sat down and put their own spin on the swastika there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Its not racist the word is just a cover word for so many things people dont like these days. Its an argument starter and winner.

The intent behind that graffiti is very clearly racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭AdolfHipster

I for one welcome our insect overlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Just seen this online more then likely its already been talked about on here ??

Anyway..... http://www.thejournal.ie/racist-graffiti-newlands-cross-1476209-May2014/

Lets just say ive had conversations with people about this subject many a time. I wouldn't be wrong in saying i feel like a tourist at times in Dublin city center.

Do wonder what the same situation will be like in say ten years time?

I also feel the word racist has lost its meaning at this stage.

You're taking the Morrissey thing a bit far…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

People are easily shocked.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I am more interested in the symbol at the end of it.
    Looks like a politically-correct'ed Swastika to me. When you link that you the anti-Israel slogan and the "us poor Irish are hard done by in our own country"....

RayM wrote: »
    The intent behind that graffiti is very clearly racist.

Ah the old mind readers are out. Proof ? Unless you can link to this groups website or something that shows them up as Racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Not shocking.

Mildly racist.

Slightly offensive.

I for one am more.shocked that an idiot who would post graffiti like that has managed to do.so without any spelling mistakes.

Oink wrote: »

It's a picture of the game Simon. A fiendish device surely created by forhinners to bedivil the poor, honest Irishman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Ah the old mind readers are out. Proof ? Unless you can link to this groups website or something that shows them up as Racist.

did you look at their other graffiti?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yeah I mean if the rants are factually accurate then they cant be racist. People can try and take them that way. The Jewish one is borderline as it’s nearly stereo typical.

Nothing "nearly" about it. It's classic anti-Semitism.

You're entirely right. It's clearly a campaign to raise awareness about Alzheimer's.

http://f0.thejournal.ie/media/2014/05/pastedimage-36987-630x472.png

The next hoarding had a slogan that said 'Can you remember where you put your car keys?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

Okay, why don't you tell us what it's about then, since you're clearly incapable of reading any kind of subtext.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Dublin is like third most visited city in Europe. There is also tons of Europeans working here in American multinationals and our services industry. Its very easy to feel there is very Irish, when they all live in the suburbs. I studied sociology in college. Ireland is the only country in the EU without an extremist party, but non-nationals made up a huge amount of the population. Ireland is also the least racist English speaking country. Although some will argue Canada, but English speaking Canadians often have serious beef with French Canadians.

But interesting most of immigrants come from countries that are similar to us. Most non-European immigrants come from places like Nigeria or the Philippines which are catholic countries. Immigrants adapt to our country better than immigrants in other countries. People who an issue with immigrants need to be the same people with issues with "the gays", "the church of Ireland crowd" and "children outside marriage". They have an issue with everything, but one gives a **** about their opinion

I do find it funny when Irish give out about foreigners in our country. When I have been to some extremely remote places and found the only white people were Irish. I was on a flight in China last year and the plane was just Chinese, but me and another Irish women(actually living in Dubai). Or when I was in a remote city in the Philippines and only white person I saw in two weeks was an Irish person. Or even if you walk down a street in some European city, you find an Irish accent fairly quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Triangla wrote: »
    I would say xenophobic more than racist.

Looks like they sat down and put their own spin on the swastika there too.

An unemployed graphics designer?

Nodin wrote: »
    Nothing "nearly" about it. It's classic anti-Semitism.

That word is chucked around far to much now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Hilarious.

The graffiti was text book classic anti-Semitism.

Looks like the Google Chrome logo to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

aye. and racism. shocking.

sure if you are not unhappy about people of a different race, religion or anything else in your area, sure then you'd be weird.

</sarcasm>

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Looks like a politically-correct'ed Swastika to me. When you link that you the anti-Israel slogan and the "us poor Irish are hard done by in our own country"....

I think it may be a stylised St Bridgits cross. It's common enough for neo-nazi and supremacist groups to hijack ancient cultural and religious symbols for their own identity and propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

It's all spelled correctly too.
    bumper234 wrote: »
    I for one am more.shocked that an idiot who would post graffiti like that has managed to do.so without any spelling mistakes.

Well they did forget the "N" in "OWN" in picture number 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

You seem to be stretching the concept of 'giving someone the benefit of the doubt' to whole new levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I think it's meant to be a St. Bridget's cross in a circle... aka a Sun Cross...
    My mind went quickly to Swastika but then I took a second look.

• Advertisement

Okay, why don't you tell us what it's about then, since you're clearly incapable of reading any kind of subtext.

I Don't have to, I don't Feel the need to shout about Racism for other groups. That may have no Issue with it. To Many people get Faux outrage for other people. It’s the new opiate of the Masses.

Advertisement