Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''Shocking'' racist message on n7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

im not entirely convinced by this arguement , it more or less labels mid east countries as having a lower standard ( though acceptable by way of cultural difference etc ) while at the same time , demands that ireland must allow in people who bring with them , attitudes which are the norm on those countries

its both patronising and smug
    I didn't mention any countries, let alone any Middle Eastern ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

endacl wrote: »
    Sure it used to be the feckin' culchies comin' up here and takin' our jobs. We need somebody to blame for our own circumstances. It's easier these days to recognise de furriners. When culchies take the flat caps and wellies off, it can be difficult to tell them apart from dubs.

Shiny black shoes and shirts. Have you not learned anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm a foreigner in dublin, i didn't feel being insulted or anything racial on seeing those slogans. Just some people thinking loudly, that's all. But ireland do really need to echo all the emigrants back, because almost all of the irish classmates (who were really talented) in my college years prioritize the emigration after graduation.

You don't think there's anything dodgy about people ranting about the Jews controlling world finance accompanied by typical far-right iconography?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

I bet the good burghers of The West thought like this after the cry went up, "TO HELL OR TO CONNAUGHT"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

bb1234567 wrote: »
    andd..? It is still ethnically diverse no matter what way you look at it, it has a foreign popualtion of 15% which is more than what the majority of the worlds countries have.

Aaand if your country is fortunate enough to be the kind of place people actually want to be, you are going to have immigrants. And probably far more than you have here.

How anyone who has been to a capital city in Europe can think that Ireland has a "high level of ethnic diversity" is beyond me.

• Advertisement

Piliger wrote: »
    No it doesn't. Just because the UN says it does doesn't make it so.

Yes it does. That's the internationally accepted definition. It's certainly more relevant than the definition conveniently according to your good self anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

But Shepard seemed so friendly towards all the aliens! :(

Link

mcko wrote: »
    My kids' national school has loads of non nationals, I have non problem with this as most of the people I speak to seem ok
    What annoys me is that when someone tries to maintain Irish Culture ect they are called racist.
    I am a firm believer in live and let live but when you are in my house live by my rules. I don't think the minority should dictate policy, by all means live your life how you want to but look at what happened in other countries where you had immigration long before we had.
    In Cork city every Saturday there are Muslims trying to convert people,if I went to any muslim country and tried to convert people to christian religions I would not be allowed. I am fine with that, that is the culture I would be living in and I would be happy to live that way, HERE is my point, if you don't like my rules leave my house.
    How long before muslims working in shops refuse to serve alcohol ect.
    Before anyone says so no I am not a racist or Nazi.

First of all most Muslim countries have quite prominent Christian and Jewish minorities. I've been to three Muslim countries and seen a variety of Christians and their places of worship. These include Turkey, Palestine and Morocco. Even in places considered "conservative" Muslim countries like Iraq and Iran you will find hundreds of thousands of Christians who go about their business as normal. The only place that fits your description are Saudi and the Arab Emirates (where loads of Christians live). Besides that, do you think we should we be mimicking these places or something?

Secondly how are people engaging in Irish culture being called racist?? When does that happen? I've never heard of anyone being called a racist for playing GAA, speaking Irish, engaging in Irish dance or going to the pub. What do you mean by that exactly?

Lastly, I don't think you're a racist at all; you're just someone who's a bit uninformed and you're exaggerating the whole scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Ridiculous, I remember years ago a taxi driver was saying to me "They reckon there will be no pure Irish in 50 years time" -- so f*cking what ??

Immigrants children here are being brought up in Ireland , in Irish schools with Irish friends ... they will grow up Irish and speak with Irish accents - they are Irish!!!

We are all immigrants if you go back far enough..

edit - I don't think I used the word "Irish" enough there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Aaand if your country is fortunate enough to be the kind of place people actually want to be, you are going to have immigrants. And probably far more than you have here.

How anyone who has been to a capital city in Europe can think that Ireland has a "high level of ethnic diversity" is beyond me.

Japan, China and korea are wealthy countries, yet theres almost no ethnic diversity.

And Ireland is much smaller than the other large wealthy european countries that are ethnically diverse. Obviously we will have less immigrants than france ,england or germany. I dont know why people want to call ireland homogemous when its not at all not even close

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 save_me_some

folan wrote: »
    to allow people with differing attitudes and opinions into Ireland is patronising and smug?

I demand an Ireland that is tolerant. No ifs, no buts.

you demand an ireland which tollerates attitudes which stem from the mid east while at the same time , claim that those very countries are backward

its as if you make allowances for mid east attitudes , akin to making allowances for a dog who chews up a couch

" ah sure he knows no better but im too high brow - tollerant to possibly call him out on it "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

This post has been deleted.

It's probably all being done by two nasty little yobs. A mountain out of a molehill.

FTA69 wrote: »
    You don't think there's anything dodgy about people ranting about the Jews controlling world finance accompanied by typical far-right iconography?

i dont hear that too often but their is a massively disproportionate percentage of jewish people working on wall st

ditto , african americans in the NBA

why is it wrong to point to the obvious , wait i forgot , the whole basis of political correctness is denying reality in favour of potraying an idealised world as desired by right on liberals

FTA69 wrote: »
    Yes it does. That's the internationally accepted definition. It's certainly more relevant than the definition conveniently according to your good self anyway.

No it isn't. The UN does't decide on the English language.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Japan, China and korea are wealthy countries, yet theres almost no ethnic diversity.

And Ireland is much smaller than the other large wealthy european countries that are ethnically diverse. Obviously we will have less immigrants than france ,england or germany. I dont know why people want to call ireland homogemous when its not at all not even close

japan and korea and are not populated by white caucasions , hence they are not called out on their ethnic immigration policies , pc liberals only ever aim for white people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

i dont hear that too often but their is a massively disproportionate percentage of jewish people working on wall st

why is it wrong to point to the obvious , wait i forgot , the whole basis of political correctness is denying reality in favour of potraying an idealised world as desired by right on liberals

Careful now that would be close to being anti Semitic. Even though no other group get a word all their own to toss out for Racism towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Maphisto wrote: »
    An unemployed graphics designer?

"Unemployed" seems like a superfluous adjective here, aren't they all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Why? Do you keep getting lost and have to ask for directions?

And when you do and ask somebody how to walk there, all they can tell you is the number of the bus that can get you there

Piliger wrote: »
    No it isn't. The UN does't decide on the English language.

It is the accepted definition of racism though. The UN is pretty much the go to organisation for various international definitions on things such as human rights, racism, poverty, education etc etc. I'm sorry if their actual definition doesn't suit the particular point you're trying to make, but as I said above; their definition is certainly a more valid and relevant one than your own personal opinion.

Out of curiosity, if we take the "no dogs, no blacks, no Irish signs"' do you think only one part of that statement is racist or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Bloe Joggs

japan and korea and are not populated by white caucasions , hence they are not called out on their ethnic immigration policies , pc liberals only ever aim for white people

By and large and certainly by European standards Ireland is pretty homogenous. While other equally homogenous countries like Iceland were formulating generous immigration policies after the war in an effort to keep the bloodlines mixed, De Valera's social engineering project - fuelled by a reactionary belief in cultural and ethnic purity - prevented any such measures being taken. We've been playing catch up for the last 20 years or so but there's quite a way to go.

So does the fact that there are a minority of Jews working in high finance somehow equate to them running the world? After all, that's what this graffiti alleges.

The conspiracy theory of a Jewish cabal running the world has been a cornerstone of fascism (never mind racism) for 150 years odd. So when someone starts spraying that on walls accompanied by traditional far right symbolism, it isn't a big f*ckin leap to imagine those behind it might be a bit on the racist side

But no, your reaction to anti-Semitic graffiti is to try and portray the "liberals" as shutting down honest debate. Total b*llocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Its not racist the word is just a cover word for so many things people dont like these days. Its an argument starter and winner.

It is racist/fascist, it is a "hidden" swastika at the end

Oink wrote: »
    I am more interested in the symbol at the end of it.
    Looks like a politically-correct'ed Swastika to me. When you link that you the anti-Israel slogan and the "us poor Irish are hard done by in our own country"....

You can imagine all kinds of stuff when you are intent on doing so. This whole racist stuff is a total concoction by those keen to be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Dude, you need to get out of Ireland more. This is the most homogeneously native country that I have ever been in. Less so than when I emigrated here in the 1980's, and thank **** for that.

Ive been all over Europe and many other parts of the world so ya....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Lastlight.

Can't say I disagree with the messages. Globalisation is a disaster and keeping local traditions and culture alive is important. Doesn't help when people start feeling like they are living in a different country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Maphisto wrote: »
    An unemployed graphics designer?

HA!!
    I was thinking the exact same passing it earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Bloe Joggs

Lastlight. wrote: »
    Can't say I disagree with the messages. Globalisation is a disaster and keeping local traditions and culture alive is important. Doesn't help when people start feeling like they are living in a different country.

Traditions/culture are just by products of what people do from day to day in order to survive and entertain themselves. They are always changing. The notion that you would intentionally preserve them is a relatively new thing in human history and seems to have come about with the invention of the nation state in the 19th century. Some of them happen to be good in the sense that they're an effective way of doing things or people just enjoy doing them, in other words they've stood the test of time, which is a good reason to preserve them but preserving them out of some sort of "duty" to the tribe as a means of discriminating that tribe from others and satisfying the primal need to prove that you belong to that tribe is a very unhealthy line of thought and often a dangerous road to go down...imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So not long home was out there for a while lovely day out actually :P

Ive noticed it before but god where i live *Citywest* is like some sort of portal that brings u around the world. Have eastern Europeans Africans Asians and god knows what else all around ya. No word of a lie for the entire time i was out walking i didnt hear one irish accent or word of English until i got into a shop and even then none of the staff i came across where Irish.

I dont care what word u wanna call me i am who i am really nothing will change that but ya stuff like that does bother me sometimes.

I mean i normally dont give a **** i just get on with my own life and my own issues but it does make me feel like a tourist in my own country when i hear so many people around me speaking different languages and so many of these people are from totally different cultures and walks of life. With the weather out there today i felt on holidays for more then one reason :P

Obviously there are a lot more Irish living in Ireland im not saying where out numbered all im saying is things are different and it will only continue with the government we have and the way Europe is run.

Where a small country who at times cant even look after our own ****ing people adding more and more and more from outside on top of this how does that help anyone?

Its great to experience different cultures try new things but thats why u go on holidays and travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Bloe Joggs wrote: »
    By and large and certainly by European standards Ireland is pretty homogenous. While other equally homogenous countries like Iceland were formulating generous immigration policies after the war in an effort to keep the bloodlines mixed, De Valera's social engineering project - fuelled by a reactionary belief in cultural and ethnic purity - prevented any such measures being taken. We've been playing catch up for the last 20 years or so but there's quite a way to go.

Quite a way to go...to what exactly? Ok some ethnic diversity is great but its not like its a goal ireland MUST reach? Who says immigration is even that beneficial to ireland, Im not saying it or it isnt but are there any stats or anything on benefits of it ?

Why do we need to catch up, is homogenity even that bad. Japan seems to be doin ok for itself.

Advertisement