Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Blues14

Well I don’t have a dog but was thinking the areas the robot doesn’t reach I’ll have to strim worried I’d cut wire doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭denismc

The mower will cross over the the wire so the area directly over the wire will be cut by the mower so it should be easy to strim.

Also consider not strimming at all, I leave the area outside of the mower coverage grow wild, it creates a nice contrast effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

As KCross said, strim the boundary really tight and peg the wire down. It'll sink into the ground over time.

Can I ask where you are buying your mower online?

If I were to go underground any ideas what I could use to make it a bit faster I’d hire that cable layer I see on YouTube but don’t see them anywhere.

I've done it with a spade, lawn edging tool but for a large lawn area it takes awhile. Not difficult but bit of a faff and just requires time.

I'd peg it out first to ensure that you're happy with it, you can unpeg and adjust if need be.

Once it's underground it's down there and a hassle to change it.

• Advertisement

Folks,

I see some mentions of German sourced mowers, are there any recommended sellers or is it just pot luck on eBay.de?

I previously sourced my deceased mower from EU Robot center but that website is now closed.

Thanks for any possible help.

What’s the best wire to buy or are they all the same.and any suggestions where to buy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Hey folks,

Is it too early to put the mower back out? My grass seems to be growing away there at the moment...

Thanks

I have my mower out for over a month, there's plenty of growth with the mild weather.

I bring it in though if frost is forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Mine was out over Christmas. Goes out when the weather allows. No such thing as too early or late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

my grass has been bolting away the last few weeks too. Sending it out this weekend but keeping an eye on weather over the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Weather doesn't matter a jot in Ireland tbh where too temperate unless its real snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Looking for advice please.

Site is about one acre in total with a cutting area prob 2/3 of that. Awaiting a quote for. Husqvarna automower and likely will be five grand I'm told including install with the wired system.

Looking online I am seeing cheaper ones from the likes of Toss Bryan which don't need wire install and cover same amount of area for €2700..Segway H3000E for example.

Wondering am I mad to go for Husqvarna at those prices. ..not sure exact model of Husqvarna yet but seems expensive for a less controllable device.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

The Segway has a capacity of 3000m2 which isn’t a lot over your area, you’d be better off going for a machine that has a capacity of 5000m2 imo

Right just after buying a robot and looking at getting boundary wire iv seen this one I need roughly 305 metres iv seen this one it’s for 500m rather not have to use joiners the only thing is the colour is black instead of green is there a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Would any of you experienced users have any thoughts on the Flymo Easilife 800? I have 500m2 of lawn that is split. I am intending to make a path under one row of bushes, so the guide wire that this uses will help it move through adjoininng lawns. Or is there something better for under 1000?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭murfler

I have a segway h3000e working on roughly 2000 m2 and it handles that area no problem (one full season). I have had a wheel motor burn out after 3 months due to dog hair working it's way into wheel motor. It was replaced straight away and at no cost but I'm worried this will be a continuous problem as i cant do anything about dog hair on lawn, i have 2 long haired gsds that shed a lot. Segway know about the problem but as of yet theres no fux. I had a husqvarna 430x working on same area for 4 seasons prior and had some issues (wheel motor, bearings in cutting disc). Wheel motor wasn't down to dog hair though and the dog hair didn't seek to bother it?

If you have about 2/3 acre to cut the segway will handle it no problem. It is a cheaper and way handier to install and move etc with no wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

Has anyone ever put down chicken wire in the ground in an area their mower is getting stuck in to give extra grip?

Hi can anyone tell me if it’s alright to place the stihl transformer outside ?

Hy husky transformer has been outside for the last 5 years without issue.

If the transformer is suitable for outside then it will have an IP rating printed on it somewhere, it should be IP45 or 55 I think.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I have been quoted the 450x from Husqvarna and realised my closest dealer is selling the Segway so called in for a chat. From watching a few videos and looking at the tech I'm edging towards the Segway due to the simplicity and ability to amend the mowed areas easily. Can even hold onto my ride on all for the same costs!

Segway front wheels look a bit crap tho but my garden is relatively flat.

And coincidentally was talking to a colleague today who has one and was waiting to get his wire repaired this weekend due to roots he thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

I wonder can you get a decent mower for c. €800? It's for the mother's - not a small garden but not like the acre or half acre people have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Have a Husqvarna 450X since 2018 and I have been nursing the wheel motors along for about 12 months now. Dog hair has them on their last legs, but recent regular cleaning and greasing has been prolonging their life, but today I noticed significant play on right hand side, so looks like a bearing on the way out as well. Has anyone replaced one wheel motor or is it something probably best done as a pair? Will be doing it myself, not rocket science and have found motors for 202 euro a piece. Not cheap, but first major surgery required since purchase and way cheaper than looking after a ride-on.

I replaced one of mine but I had to replace the second one a couple of months later, so yeah, changing the pair might be prudent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

On something like that I'd change out both at once.

Did it myself recently. Gave the old stager an overhaul whilst it was laid up over winter. I got mine from GPL shop.

Apart from dog hair problem I cannot fault Segway...they are constantly sending fixes and new features to mowers via WiFi...the latest was very good..you can now chose what direction you want your mower to mow..before that the mower would change direction after every mow. I have a long narrow strip that didn't make sense for mower to cut horizontal as constant turning so I stopped the bot mowing that bit..now I have it cutting vertically no problem.

Interesting I had a 430x for 4 years and never had bother with dog hair...have a segway now and motor burnt out after 6 months with dog hair...its not practical to clean the dog hair off bot every few days which seems to be what's needed to prevent it happening..robots should be turned on and forget about it for 5 or 6 weeks until you change blades etc

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Think I will do the pair together, one has gears in much better nick, but both have bearings on way out, which I put down to crossing the driveway.

In fairness it had taken near 6 seasons for the dog hairs to complete their mission and its a long haired shepherd, so plenty of it. Reckon I could get through this season, with regular stripping and greasing, but it will still have to be done and could do without the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭staples7

Best piece of advice you can get, no need at all to bury it. It will bury itself within weeks. In fact it’s helpful not to as it’s easier to make adjustments after also.

Advertisement