Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jason_k

I'm self installing a husqvarna automower 450X

I purchased the mower second hand from someone but i need to get a large installation kit (boundary wire, pegs etc)

I see the husqvarna large installation kit is approx €250.

Would anyone have a link on amazon or somewhere that has a similar kit that's just as good as the husqvarna large installation kit.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You just need good cable. Last one I bought was this BEOS® Premium Boundary Cable for Robotic Lawnmower 150 Metres - Universally Compatible - Quality Boundary Wire - Cable for Lawn Robots from Worx, Gardena, Stihl, etc. Diameter 2.7 mm https://amzn.eu/d/hHZoRzf

Then get pegs have a look around various prices.

I'd also recommend getting some 3M boundary wire joiners for any accidents and emergency joins.

Quite an easy method to install is just getting a lawn edge and slotting into into the grass move forward and back a bit then move on, have someone coming behind you slotting the wire into the slot you made. It's relatively quick .

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

re-posting this from a post i did last year.......

this is what Ive ordered before. Thicker than what was already in situ, but works fine. make sure to get the connectors.

https://www.genisys24-shop.de/maehroboter-ersatzteile/husqvarna/kabel-genisys/husqvarna-automower-komp-kabel-maehroboter-begrenzung-draht-3-4mm-long-life-auf-der-kabelrolle_46323_191476

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jason_k

I looked on that german website.

Are them installation sets compatible with the husqvarna automower?

below is the link to the set im thinking of getting.

Installation Set L+ kompatibel mit Gardena ® R38Li R40Li R45Li Kabel Haken Verbinder Paket Kit | Genisys Mähroboter Zubehör (genisys24-shop.de)

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

Ive ordered a couple of times and worked fine for me, with a 450x,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

order the thicker cable, I had both in different sections had more breakages with the thinner cable.

the heat shrink wrap cable connectors from amazon are better than the 3m ones too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Those with navimow if i plug it in in shed for a charge will it mess up the location settings for spring when base put back in "home" position?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

Don't know for certain but I very much doubt it'll mess it up. It should still charge fine without the antenna attached so it simply won't be able to lock onto a new position.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Hi all, anyone with navimow or other wireless mower that cuts in straight lines have any hassle with the lawn getting cut up at the boundary? What’s the uncut width at the boundary?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

No issues with it digging up at the boundary for me in general. Just like any other auto mower you'd want to keep an eye on it if the ground is soggy as it could start digging then.

The uncut width is just a few inches. You can minimise that width with a bit of trial and error tweaking of the map. If the boundary from lawn to your driveway is level then you can extend the map across the boundary so it cuts everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

I see that Mammotion are releasing a Luba 2. https://mammotion.com/pages/luba-2-awd-series

I had been leaning towards buying the original shortly, but would buyer newer model if available.

No pre-order available to Ireland, but there is to Germany. I presume there'd be no issue (besides plug) maybe buying this and using a forward shipping service to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 maxymo

I was thinking the same but decided to wait a couple of months more to have it available in Ireland in case that happen soon, I expect they want to have the new model available for everyone early this season otherwise will be strange make available a mower model at the end of season.

If you preorder it I would be very interested in know your feedback of the mower after you test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mcmorrowg

Hi All, I'm looking to move to an automower this year. What brands do people recommend for a large lawn 0.75 - 1.00 acre?

I've been looking at Husqvarna 450x or Husqvarna 450X Nera, Kress KR174, Luba 2 (on release) any other people would recommend.

the lawn is flat surrounding most of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hey Folks, wondering if the Husqvarna Dealers ever do sales, discounts or promotions at any time during the year?

Annoyingly these seems to me priced pretty high compared to other European markets and stupidly high when compared to the US.

Any tips or advice here?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Suppose be no harm to charge my navimow

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭denismc

I remember Atkins in Cork used to do a Spring sale around April time and there was a good discount on their automowers, but they haven't done it for a few years now, it might be worth signing up to their mailing list to see if anything pops up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kerry_blue

Hi,

I need to get a mower this year and am looking at an auto mower. Lots of choice out there these days.

My lawn is about 2000 sq metres, all flat and all connected. There is a boundary ditch along 1 side with some high tress.

I am trying to decide between wired or wireless. What do people think? A few I have spoken to think wireless is the way to go.

Any recommendations on what brands/models would be best suited for me?

thanks in advance!

Wired systems have been around for a long time whereas wireless systems are pretty new , also wireless systems tend to be more expensive. I am curious why people are recommending wireless over wired, are they salespeople?

As for brands, quite a few are discussed on this forum, Husqvarna seem to be the most popular and there are plenty of dealers around the country, they have both wired and wireless systems.

Thanks!

Yep, sales people. Main 2 reasons were no installation of the wire around the perimeter and the ability to cut in straight lines which they say gives a better cut and better lawn over time.

From what I have seen, the wireless ones seem to be coming in a little cheaper than wired.

I have inquired about a few brands from dealers nearby, Husqvarna are very popular but they are more expensive than other brands for both wired and wireless. The wireless model is very expensive compared to other wireless models. Stihl is another brand that has come up and it is a little cheaper. Kress seems to be a new brand that provides a wireless solution.

Maybe the tried and trusted wired model is the best for now and wireless can be for the future as the technology evolves and improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

the ability to cut in straight lines which they say gives a better cut and better lawn over time.

Sales talk.

How would cutting in a straight line give a better lawn over time?!

My lawn is about 2000 sq metres, all flat and all connected. There is a boundary ditch along 1 side with some high tress.

For your own personal circumstance, if the lawn is mature and you dont plan to be digging it up repeatedly in the years ahead for new trees, beds, shrubs etc then wired is probably better.... more reliable once the wire is put down properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Wired. Less to go wrong and cheaper.

Will you fit it yourself? I've purchased a couple of Husqvarna versions used. Huge saving over new but not an option everyone would take or if you need it installed.

Thanks to all for the advice!

No, I won't fit it myself. I will get the dealer to fit it as I would like it done properly!

Looking at the Husqavarna 430x Nera supplied and fitted for just over 4k. How does that sound price wise?

I have got a couple of cheaper quotes for wireless mowers.

Post edited by kerry_blue on

I can see good offers for Husqvarna 450x nera from germany. Ill probably use it in wired mode. Any issue with this model? Just wondering why its good value €4k.

Hey Mango, i got a good deal for a brand new X450 nera from Germany. €4021 including shipping to ireland. It was through ebay but its a german company weber. Have the option to go wireless in the future but starting off wired.

Hi all,

Trying for finalise my decision and it is now down to a choice between the Husqavarna 430x Nera and the Kress Mission RTKn KR172E.

Price wise the Kress is coming in a bit cheaper.

Does anyone have any opinions on the KR172E?

thanks!

Hi all,

Just following up for feedback on this one.

Anyone have the Kress RTKN KR172E mower? Or anyone have any opinions on it?

thanks!

I'd say the Kress is still a bit of a rarity in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

YouTube seems to be the place for reviews in my experience. You might get some feedback from there.

I have the 430x, a very good machine and intelligent enough to track between 3 different lawns with uneven hills. It can be temperamental if the grass has grown too long and it’s trying to figure out where to cut. I don’t understand enough about its algorithm or whatever that helps it make decisions, but it doesn’t seem to like erratic cutting. I figured out how many hours per week were required to keep the grass short and keep it happy. The. It sailed from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Blues14

hi I’m buying a robot mower online and putting the wire underground thinking of doing it myself has anyone done this themselves wondering any tips to save time like tools used.seen a cable layer online but can’t see anywhere to hire it was thinking a lawn edger to do a channel and obviously a shovel but will take ages.any help would be appreciated and also if I was to get a dealer to do it how much you reckon they would charge or would they even do it considering I’m not buying from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

putting the wire underground

My tip is dont bother unless you have a specific reason to do so... like the dog will eat it!

A very tight strim of the grass along the route the cable will be going on and then simply peg it above ground and after a few weeks it will be gone out of sight.

A few years later and it will actually be buried itself.

I put mine down 10 years ago and had to pull some of it up recently and it was very difficult to get it up as it was a few cm's under the ground.

There is really no need to bury it... unless, as I said, you have a good reason to do so.

Advertisement