Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

I was in local dealer the other day, he sells Husqvarnas and Cress. Obvious difference he has seen is in the replacement parts prices, with the Cress parts being significantly cheaper than the Husqvarnas, e.g. mother board for Husq 450x around 400+ euro, Cress one a little over a 100 euro. The huskys are around a bit longer, so more tried and tested, but the no guide wire is a big advantage if it works correctly on the Cress. I have a Husky 450x, not been perfect but wouldnt go back to a ride-on for all the tea in china. I have a neighbour with exact same mower as mine, which is very handy for checking out potential issues, swapping in and out chargers etc. Both our mowers will run/charge off each others base stations, something I was told was not possible when sold the mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

i have a Kress but not the GPS one. Decent machine it's essentially a Worx mower with different shell and larger range (and inbuilt battery vs the worx removable battery).

There don't seem to be as many Kress mowers in circulation but the non gps ones use the same firmware as worx mowers (so can leverage that resource commmunity) but that won't apply to the GPS mowers as I don't the they have GPS worx mowers yet at least.

if I was buying a new mower now I would be considering the Luba 2, it's getting great reviews and looking better than the competition in most of the comparison tests. They are also releasing a solar powered GPS antenna later this year which willadd huge flexibility for larger areas where you're lawn or parts of your lawn are not near mains power

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

is any grease points on a Huskavarna auto mower? Assume no one opens motors or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

No. I if you want to grease motors you're popping the top and disassembling the motors to pack grease in.

I didn't go as in depth as this, but the general gist of it will get you in the right ball park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Thanks a lot Thud! I had spent weeks checking out mowers and was just about to pull the trigger on a new Husq NERA, now I have to start again and evaluate the LUNA 2 and my life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks for this. However I can't do any of these steps as the lcd screen won't display anything except the charging percentage when I have it connected to the charger.

From a quick look, it seems like I have to contact Lidl as I bought it from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Have so far seen mixed reviews on the LUBA 2, but most seem to be software fixes. Would love to hear if anyone here has any experience or knowledge of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭denismc

Seen my first Luba in the flesh today, they look like something out of Star wars.

They seem to get good reviews, but their customer support doesn't seem to great at the moment which is understandable as it's a new company.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭carbuncle

I had a McCulloch mower for 4 seasons which worked well, only a few repairs, it near the end of last year it ended up I my pond and is not worth repairing - not sure why it crossed the boundary to drown itself, maybe got sick of being worked so hard.

I have about 900sqm and was think of the Segway i108, anybody got any experience? I kow it’s new and there are mostly sponsored reviews but the navigation seems to be good. I have about 25m of straight pond edge.

I could go for a cheaper wire bound model and put a 5cm edge along the pond but the navimow tech looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shoehorn

I did some more investigating on this issue.

A 'No signal' flashes up on the app any time this happens, for just a split second.

It only seems to happen in a wide area of the lawn, where it is far from the perimeter (10m-20m away).

I suspect the issue is not long grass, but that it's intermittently losing signal from perimeter wire, when it's too far away from it, or that maybe the wire is buried too deep for such an open space, but I can't find any evidence online to back up this theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ron30

I self installed a husqvarna automower 450x.

I put 2 guidewires on lawn.

The mower travels from far end of lawn to charging station no problem along guidewire but issue is when it reaches the charging station.

It doesn't go straight in. it starts reversing and going all around charging station for about 5 min but docking.

Does anyone know what ive done wrong that's causing this issue.

thank you.

Did you take guide wires straight out from mower dock in a straight line for about 3 metres? This is recommended when installing? Are the guide wires overlapping each other for that final 3 metres, if they are not, then the mower will detect 2/3 when docking instead of one and get "confused" and have trouble docking. Loads of youtube videos on this type of stuff.

If you did then it could be the wiring harness from charging plates is in need of upgrading, a common fault that causes issues similar to those you required. Does it go in and then out again or just struggling to find the base?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭denismc

Have you tried creating a new loop signal? It's in the security settings.

There is an engineering sub menu where you can test the loop signal, press menu and then press and hold 7&9 on the keypad for a few seconds. There is an option to test the loop, this should tell you if there is an issue with the loop or the antenna which is built into the base station.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I regret not choosing a Kress in June 2021 , have had a lot of bother with the Stihl RMI632 I went for , the latest being that the gearbox is gone in it , warranty was a measly two years so €320 out of pocket

I didn't have the two guidewires overlapping. that was the issue.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dermotp

I have a 105 husqvarna Automower and I set it up to mow even when I press start it said will start when the time is right but it was the right time I did notice the clock was black and a black symbol with an e in the centre this denotes echo mode should this mode be turned off for the mower to work ?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dermotp

Ref above request re echo mode on husqvarna 105 automower after further investigation I found a video which said e ho mode should be turned off.

Problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Padington

Hi all, took my Navimow H1500E out of storage last weekend, but unfortunately can't get the mower to connect to the Navimow app on my phone (or iPad) via Bluetooth. Tried all the usuals; delete + reinstall app, turn mower off + on, try from a different device. I'm sure that Bluetooth is turned on and allowed for the Navimow app. No joy. Anyone else had a similar issue? And if so, were you able to resolve? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

Didn't have that issue as I kept mine out all winter. But sounds similar to what was happening when I first bought it. I just had to grant location access to the app on my phone I think. Might be worth trying.

• Advertisement

My 450x automower is very slow mowing the lawn today. (it was fine before this)

The grass is wet but not very long.

I normally cut at grass height 5 or 6 but raised to 8 to see if that would solve it but still slow.

I also cleaned the sensors and any grass underneath the mower. turned it off and on also.

I haven't changed any settings on mower either.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you

Are the obstacle sensors turned off, it they are it goes slow, if on it goes fast and slows down when it senses an obstacle in front of it. Check menu on mower under ultrasonic or check out vids online to see if ultrasonic is working correctly. Loads of vids and info about it on youtube.

I know with my own 450x when it gets real wet and grass sticks unferneath it can "confuse" the ultrasonic sensors and it appears to stumble around as the wet grass gives the impression of an obstacle in front of the sensor, at least i think thats what is happening and usually returns to normal when grass removed.

Lcd screen gone completely blank on my Stihl robot,it got stuck during the night in a hollow near hedge

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

looking for a 450x. Anyone know of on line cheaper options than local dealers? €4500 to 5000 is a killer when I’m getting the sale emails from the US husqvarna site listing them for $2400

seems to be working ok now. must have been because the grass was so wet the other day. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭sligopaul

Does it just need to be picked up and connected to the Docking station, has battery completely drained

No , functioning normally otherwise, crowd I bought it off said it's probably down to moisture excess ?

unfortunately I think the seals do give up over time , I have a Stihl and can see dampness ingress on the screen as well

I've had endless problems with this mower , should have bought a Kress

• Advertisement

That is a shame , I've had mine 5 seasons and have a good agent so while have have had minor issues here and there nothing major until battery replacement last year though as have said screen is clouding a bit

Advertisement