Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Nidgy

Lojak wrote: »
    Yes they call out the levels.
    Cheers! Was a bit worried as it says in the info pack "the student should stop running when they no longer can keep up with the rhythm of the beeps" Hence I thought we won't know which level we are running at, just keep going until u can run no more.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 WillOR

Nidgy wrote: »
    Cheers! Was a bit worried as it says in the info pack "the student should stop running when they no longer can keep up with the rhythm of the beeps" Hence I thought we won't know which level we are running at, just keep going until u can run no more.. ;)
    I stopped once I hit my required level (just went 0.1 over it to make sure that I was safe) as I didnt want to kill myself before moving onto the pushups/sit ups.
    The only thing that caught me by surprise on the day was that after the obstacle course I was up onto the push/pull machine straight away. No time to catch your breath or anything!
    Also, we were told on the open day we'd be measured for our uniforms on the fitness day but that never happened.

Nidgy wrote: »
    Just a quick question re bleep test.. Is there any indication of which level you're at? Say after finishing level 1 does it say level 2 as it does in d training apps?

The tape they use says the levels (Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, etc.) and the instructor will call out all the levels after level 5 (5.1, 5.1, 5.3, etc.)
    They stop everyone once they reach 9.0.
    *Disclaimer: This is how it operated for me. It may change slightly day to day.*

I passed everything, delighted. A load of people failed stuff though.

Nothing definite but people are whispering the 1st of December.

Received a phone call today from HRM. They were calling to see how much notice I would need to give my current employer if I was to start on the 30th of November... Taking this as a good sign =)
    They were clear that the call itself was not an official offer however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Snowblizzard

Had PCT and fitness test in Templemore this week and passed all except the Push/Pull machine! Can anyone advise on technique for this please? I couldn't seem to get the resistance level to increase fast enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

Had PCT and fitness test in Templemore this week and passed all except the Push/Pull machine! Can anyone advise on technique for this please? I couldn't seem to get the resistance level to increase fast enough.

You need to bear in mind that the speed doesn't matter. They take an average so youre better off doing a few strong ones then loads of fast weak ones. Get a good broad stance and put your all into it. You can practice before you start to get the hang of where the beeps are and let them know when you're ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

WillOR wrote: »
    The tape they use says the levels (Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, etc.) and the instructor will call out all the levels after level 5 (5.1, 5.1, 5.3, etc.)
    They stop everyone once they reach 9.0.
    *Disclaimer: This is how it operated for me. It may change slightly day to day.*

Did the instructor even call out all the levels for level 1/2/3 ?

3fullback wrote: »
    Did the instructor even call out all the levels for level 1/2/3 ?

No the instructor didnt call out any levels before 5 (but they are called out on the tape anyway)

WillOR wrote: »
    I stopped once I hit my required level (just went 0.1 over it to make sure that I was safe) as I didnt want to kill myself before moving onto the pushups/sit ups.
    The only thing that caught me by surprise on the day was that after the obstacle course I was up onto the push/pull machine straight away. No time to catch your breath or anything!
    Also, we were told on the open day we'd be measured for our uniforms on the fitness day but that never happened.

Was the push pull machine part of the timed obstacle test ?

Was there many failing it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Was the push pull machine part of the timed obstacle test ?

Was there many failing it ?

No, it happened after the obstacle test the day I did mine.

Yeah, a decent amount failed it. it seemed to me that shorter people had most trouble with it, short people had issues with it because the bars are high because it's to simulate grappling with a man of average hight. Averaged sized people didn't seem to have much of an issue getting to 25kg from what I saw. A couple of bigger lads nearly got 50kg on it with the pass mark being 25kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭n32

How long does the whole thing take from start to finish?

n32 wrote: »
    How long does the whole thing take from start to finish?

Started at 9 and I think I had everything finished at half 12...

Started at 9 and I think I had everything finished at half 12...

How long would you say it took to get through all the bleep tests ?

Dunno, after the lecture about 40 minutes to get through the groups? Not really sure though...

Dunno, after the lecture about 40 minutes to get through the groups? Not really sure though...

Lecture ? Is that just explaining what's required ?

Lecture ? Is that just explaining what's required ?

Yeah, pretty much and some form filling and roll call ect.

I think they had scheduled the beep tests to go up until about half ten if I recall correctly...?

Would I be right in saying there fitness tests and PCTs going on today and tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Everytime

Would I be right in saying there fitness tests and PCTs going on today and tomorrow?

Yes, 34 in total today. And from what I can tell there's atleast 3 failures.

Everytime wrote: »
    Yes, 34 in total today. And from what I can tell there's atleast 3 failures.

What they fail on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Everytime

What they fail on ?

One bleep test and 2 on the sit ups. Some more could have failed on the obstacle and push and pull but I didn't hear.

How did people get on today?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Happyturtle00

How did people get on today?

I think 37/40 turned up. At least 5 people failed one aspect of the day. There were various rumours as to when the resits would be be, but no date set in stone. Once you finished, and had passed everything, you just went home.

Back to the waiting game now.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

timwynne wrote: »
    Its a regular occurrence - people expecting everything to be the easy way

We had a female who REFUSED to do pushups as it will 'tighten my womb' and it was a 'disgrace to expect a lady to have her face in the dirt':rolleyes:

Reminded me of this movie scene. :pac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbH_RrOAAfA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭vcshqkf9rpzgoe

Is there any swimming involved in the training?

Yes but it's not tested in the fitness test.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

A little bit, they split us into two groups of strong and no so strong/non swimmers. If you can't swim, they try and teach you. If you can, they focus on life saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

Blaireness wrote: »
    If you can't swim....

and you thought you could swim :eek:

theres a standard expected of 'swimmers'

about 75% of swimmers are in the weak category

I found out to my shock that I wasnt a proficient swimmer (by Garda standards) although being able to swim for years

• Registered Users Posts: 4 animallover89

Hi Just wondering if you fail something in the medical is it possible to repeat it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 therecruit

I was down in Templemore today for the PCT Practise. Campus is much nicer than I had expected.

The only area I had difficulty with was the Bleep. The Obstacle course is handy enough and I was suprised to find the push/pull fairly handy, it seems to be mostly technique.

Advertisement