Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Fitness test

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

I don't think people realise that. There is a huge emphasis on fitness during your stay in the college. If I remember correctly, the first fitness assessment you take is like week 3-4. At the end of the day the levels required aren't that demanding and are easily reachable with average training and diet cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    I don't think people realise that. There is a huge emphasis on fitness during your stay in the college. If I remember correctly, the first fitness assessment you take is like week 3-4. At the end of the day the levels required aren't that demanding and are easily reachable with average training and diet cutting.

Spot on Gnr_Iver

If applicants want the job badly enough they ll get themselves up to the required PCT standard

Yeah, it only makes sense like. If you're not going to bother preparing then no point turning up on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭blueforce89

Yeah, it only makes sense like. If you're not going to bother preparing then no point turning up on the day.

When you did the PCT, roughly how many people where there and how many failed? Was it mostly from the beep or did the push ups/sit ups knock people out?

When you did the PCT, roughly how many people where there and how many failed? Was it mostly from the beep or did the push ups/sit ups knock people out?

I done my physical last July(so long ago):D I think everyone in my group passed the beep/pull ups n sit-ups. Once we went up to do the circuit I'm not sure if anyone failed.

Two people failed the pushups that were in the group in front of me. so not too many failed in general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭LandT

Byr4now12 wrote: »
    How long until you get a resit? I have to repeat part of mine too , failed on Tuesday :(

U have to wait three months to resit.

I done my physical last July(so long ago):D I think everyone in my group passed the beep/pull ups n sit-ups. Once we went up to do the circuit I'm not sure if anyone failed.

Two people failed the pushups that were in the group in front of me. so not too many failed in general

I presume push ups / sit ups are done in a room in private yes?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Depotdoc

Canyon86 wrote: »

No, done in a room with about 10 others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭DooraGirl

They day I did my test, about 6 people failed the beep test out of 36.

Canyon86 wrote: »

Yeah it's in a room with 10 or so other people, one person per mat and instructor. Don't be put off by this as everyone is focused on themselves so you might as well be on your own with no one watching ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sparky_7

About 10 failed when i did it last month!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Do you get time to do a warm up before the beep and obstacle course?

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Do you get time to do a warm up before the beep and obstacle course?

No I don't think so, my group and the group before us didn't anyway. The beep test levels are fairly relaxed at the start so that might as well be your warm up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

DooraGirl wrote: »
    Here here. Couldn't agree more!!! No surprised on the day. Everyone knows whats ahead of them... people there the day I passed openly saying they were on the lash over Christmas and failing. Didn't even care..

I was on the lash and have a few pints the weekend, but I keep at the preparation and am slowly easing back on it (drink that is), come the time I get a date I will be full on prep mode, not of that crap for a few weeks, beats waiting three months waiting and having to work flat out to pass it. Pass it easily the first time and be done with it. You'll be sore after it but that's the nature of fitness, no pain no gain.

I'll be resting for 4/5 days before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jumpman12

Just wondering about the sit-ups. Does the instructor hold your ankles when performing the sit-up?

Jumpman12 wrote: »
    Just wondering about the sit-ups. Does the instructor hold your ankles when performing the sit-up?

My instructor stood on my feet for it

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Trish587

Quick question for any females who have completed the physical exam. For the press ups is it the female version of the press up where your knees are on the ground. Any feed back welcome for it.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 47 CAJJ

Trish587 wrote: »
    Quick question for any females who have completed the physical exam. For the press ups is it the female version of the press up where your knees are on the ground. Any feed back welcome for it.
    Thanks

Yes, women do the press ups with their knees on the ground.

The important part of press ups is the angle/position of your hands in relation to you shoulders.

This is all fully addressed at the open days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Anyone know when the next fitness open day is?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Trish587

leestone wrote: »
    Anyone know when the next fitness open day is?

Saturday January 6th 2018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭wlynch1984

Any dates for the actual PCT test?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ALTHEPAL

wlynch1984 wrote: »
    Any dates for the actual PCT test?

There is one tomorrow, probably won’t be until the new year now for new dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 McGDaniel

How many days/weeks notice do you get before fitness test or does it vary? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

I realise this thread is probably long dead but i'll post here anyways.

To anyone who was successful in the physical test, whats the best way to train for the push pull machine? My local gym has nothing similar and the only kind of similar thing I can think of is benchpress??

To anyone who was successful in the physical test, whats the best way to train for the push pull machine? My local gym has nothing similar and the only kind of similar thing I can think of is benchpress??
    Its handy enough, just give it your all,
    I did Bench press, shoulder press and rowing machine, use your legs a bit to put everything intio it!
    good luck you ll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Leeroyjenkins

Any kind of push/pull exercises are good. Bench press and bent over rows are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Conoroneill013

I passed the bleep test and the obstacle course when I went down first. I got my invitation for the retest this morning. Does anyone know if I have to sit the whole test again or is it just the push ups and sit-ups?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

I passed the bleep test and the obstacle course when I went down first. I got my invitation for the retest this morning. Does anyone know if I have to sit the whole test again or is it just the push ups and sit-ups?

2 years ago you would have to do the whole thing again as you failed each part of the 2, not sure if this has changed since ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Planes 1997

I also got an invitation this morning. I failed by one push up but I think you’ll have to repeat the first part again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Part 1 is the bleep, push-ups and sit-ups. If you failed either of those you'll have to repeat the whole lot.
    Part 2 is the obstacle and push-pull. If you fail either of those you'll have to repeat the whole lot.
    If you failed one from part 1 and 2 then you'll have to repeat everything.

If it was just the sit-ups and push-ups, then you'll have to repeat those along with the bleep.

Advertisement