Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Best of luck to anyone doing the fitness tests this week. I, too, was worried before mine, but the adrenaline made it easy on the day. My main concern was the push ups, but honestly they seemed easy on the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Yeah, it's all good now, I'm nailing them at this stage. Thanks for all the advice though. Anyone know how many people are doing the fitness and PCT over the next week? I'm doing mine this week and the place seems very quiet the week of testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

Yeah, it's all good now, I'm nailing them at this stage. Thanks for all the advice though. Anyone know how many people are doing the fitness and PCT over the next week? I'm doing mine this week and the place seems very quiet the week of testing.

I'd imagine there's a good few repeats, most know what's involved from before

Can anyone tell me the order of the day? How long things take, what comes first, is there a break for lunch ect...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Can anyone tell me the order of the day? How long things take, what comes first, is there a break for lunch ect...

Bleep test first, then 5 min break before you go into press ups and sit ups. Then roughly 1-2 hrs break for lunch before obsticle course and push pull. Best of luck to all of you doing it tomorrow, hopefully see you in Templemore soon.

• Advertisement

How did ye all get on today with the repeats? Any info from the college on next intake?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Lojak wrote: »
    How did ye all get on today with the repeats? Any info from the college on next intake?

Was just gonna ask the same..
    How did Shoden do ?

I passed everything, delighted. A load of people failed stuff though.

Nothing definite but people are whispering the 1st of December.

I passed everything, delighted. A load of people failed stuff though.

Nothing definite but people are whispering the 1st of December.

Congratulations, its a great feeling enjoy it!! So the people that failed today are now out of the running completely? Was there many down today?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Fair play to all that passed, great stuff! Down tomorrow morning for mine, looking forward to it and getting it done!

• Advertisement

Lojak wrote: »
    Congratulations, its a great feeling enjoy it!! So the people that failed today are now out of the running completely? Was there many down today?

About 30 I'd say?? That's a guess though. As I understand it the people that were there to repeat a failed test and failed are out of the running and the people that were there to do it for the first time and failed may be called to repeat. Again, not 100% on any of this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

About 30 I'd say?? That's a guess though. As I understand it the people that were there to repeat a failed test and failed are out of the running and the people that were there to do it for the first time and failed may be called to repeat. Again, not 100% on any of this though.

Out of the 30 how many would you say failed ?

Also where were the main failures occurring ?

Also congrads on passing!

3fullback wrote: »
    Out of the 30 how many would you say failed ?

Also where were the main failures occurring ?

Also congrads on passing!

Couldn't tell you cause we were broken up into groups but I'd say about 60% of my group failed on one thing or another. Fails came in the bleep test, sit ups and obstacle course mainly I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Some wonderful tips & advice in here on the Garda Fitness test. Not doing it myself IRL, but it's great for general fitness info.

Wish you all the very very best :)
    Thanks again,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Couldn't tell you cause we were broken up into groups but I'd say about 60% of my group failed on one thing or another. Fails came in the bleep test, sit ups and obstacle course mainly I think.

Cheers Shoden,

Was their any protesting or were they clear failures ? I feel if I get the PCT in the near future I'll be very nervous !

Sorry again for asking but how strict were they on form for sit-ups ? As in how far back do you have to go? Does your head need to hit the mat ?

3fullback wrote: »
    Cheers Shoden,

Was their any protesting or were they clear failures ? I feel if I get the PCT in the near future I'll be very nervous !

Sorry again for asking but how strict were they on form for sit-ups ? As in how far back do you have to go? Does your head need to hit the mat ?

Nah, people knew why they failed, you can't argue if you don't hit the targets set out.

Shoulder blades fully to the mat, they talk to you throughout.

If that's the failure rate there won't be enough for a class in December!!

If that's the failure rate there won't be enough for a class in December!!

Was thinking the same.
    We dont know how many were left from the first class though so maybe they only need a small number to make up the 100 or whatever the class will be. Im guessing there will always be a surplus

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Was thinking the same.
    We dont know how many were left from the first class though so maybe they only need a small number to make up the 100 or whatever the class will be. Im guessing there will always be a surplus

Also a sample size of one group isn't enough to draw any conclusions.

Also a sample size of one group isn't enough to draw any conclusions.

Like i said "we" don't know so i wasn't drawing any conclusions

• Advertisement

Like I said "Also", so I was agreeing with you and adding a point.

In fairness there seems to be a high failure rate at the physical considering there was ampe time to prepare for it.

Like I said "Also", so I was agreeing with you and adding a point.

Cool. Good stuff. Drinkies tonight for you to celebrate ?
    If you get called to go in Dec are you good to go or need to give work notice ?

In fairness there seems to be a high failure rate at the physical considering there was ampe time to prepare for it.

I agree. Its been available on youtube since the start of the campaign

No drink, working in the morning. Yeah, I'd be good to go. I'm only contracting at the mo so the employer can't have it both ways!

No drink, working in the morning. Yeah, I'd be good to go. I'm only contracting at the mo so the employer can't have it both ways!

Great.
    Well done today. You'll be off soon..

Great.
    Well done today. You'll be off soon..

I hope so! I'll be checking the post carefully everyday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Nidgy

Just a quick question re bleep test.. Is there any indication of which level you're at? Say after finishing level 1 does it say level 2 as it does in d training apps?

• Advertisement

Nidgy wrote: »
    Just a quick question re bleep test.. Is there any indication of which level you're at? Say after finishing level 1 does it say level 2 as it does in d training apps?

Yes they call out the levels.

Advertisement