Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Fitness test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smc87

The thing im a little worried about is the order of running. If you do the obstacle course first it'll effect the score in beep test and vice versa!!

I know, I haven't even thought about the obstacle course yet!
    The "open day" is just to see what's expected of us? Any guesses when the actually tests will begin? Medical first or fitness first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Great day to be training lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Great day to be training lads!

Just in from my run. The heat is a killer when your not used to it. I'm hoping that's why I only got to 5.5 on my bleep :/

r_k.com wrote: »
    Just in from my run. The heat is a killer when your not used to it. I'm hoping that's why I only got to 5.5 on my bleep :/

Ill report back how i go

heat isnt an irishmans friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

Ill report back how i go

heat isnt an irishmans friend!

Keep her lit lads - your basically over every hurdle and your literally going to run through the college doors!

the home straight is ahead

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Jealous of everyone getting out for a run. Stuck in the gym working, training during my break.
    Almost there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smc87

Anyone any ideas on when the actual tests will start? Im at the open day thurs and due to fly out friday-monday/tuesday... Not sure if i should park the weekend away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

I'd imagine the medicals and fitness tests will start the week after next. Medical first, then fitness would make more sense from a legal/health and safety perspective. Will probably take about 2 weeks to get them all done. I'd say you're safe enough to head off for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy99

The lady from post interview said she believe the incline in the beep test was a typo and should just be the .5 she had written a letter to get clarification!! I think she worked in vetting in thurles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

timmy99 wrote: »
    she had written a letter to get clarification!! I think she worked in vetting in thurles!!

lads, do you think any kind of background check was done before the interview then?

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    lads, do you think any kind of background check was done before the interview then?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy99

Will the beep test be done in groups?!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

timmy99 wrote: »
    The lady from post interview said she believe the incline in the beep test was a typo and should just be the .5 she had written a letter to get clarification!! I think she worked in vetting in thurles!!

You are correct sir. the test is as follows:

initial velocity: 8.5 km per/hr

increase to 9.5 km per/hr after 1 minute

and further increase of .5 km per/hr every minute after

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

If the 25 press ups have no time limit, does that mean that they don't have to be done in immediate succession? As in, can you just do 10, 10, 5. Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

20times wrote: »
    If the 25 press ups have no time limit, does that mean that they don't have to be done in immediate succession? As in, can you just do 10, 10, 5. Does anyone know?

I wouldn't leave it to chance. 25 pressups is easily achieveable. Search for a 100 press up challenge and do the training. You'll be doing 25 in one go by next week.

almeraguy wrote: »
    I wouldn't leave it to chance. 25 pressups is easily achieveable. Search for a 100 press up challenge and do the training. You'll be doing 25 in one go by next week.

Cheers, will do. That's the only part of the test that Im a bit concerned about really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

Any tips for the sit ups folks, struggling to hit the target number

Are you doing them with something holding your feet in place? In the video for the pct, it shows someone holding your feet in place which makes it a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

Are you doing them with something holding your feet in place? In the video for the pct, it shows someone holding your feet in place which makes it a lot easier.

Yeah couldn't do any if that was the case!!!!

Yeah couldn't do any if that was the case!!!!

Ok, I suppose all you can do is keep practicing. Maybe try doing 10 in 15 seconds or less and then doing repetitions of that to try improve your speed at them? And then try building up to more.

• Advertisement

Cheers, will do. That's the only part of the test that Im a bit concerned about really.

If that's your only worry then you'll be grand. Follow the training and you'll see improvements in no time. Eat plenty protein too.

Find a training program and follow it. Training and healthy eating will get you there.

almeraguy wrote: »
    If that's your only worry then you'll be grand. Follow the training and you'll see improvements in no time. Eat plenty protein too.

Cheers, yeah Ive a high protein diet the last few months anyway. I think that's my only real worry anyway, will probably have more worries after the open day! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

You'll get better at the sit-ups faster if you don't keep trying to just do a certain amount or try to do them fast.
    Do them as if you were doing weights.
    Do as many as you physically can at a slow steady pace, then take a rest of a couple of minutes and do as many as you possibly can again. Do maybe 3 sets.
    Your abs will probably be hurting the next day but just keep doing it.

In relation to the push-ups, when I did the physical for the army there was no time limit either. You couldn't just stop though and then get back down and continue. You could stay in a rest position after doing a couple and then continue.
    The rest position is basically arching your extending your arms to take the pressure off your chest.

Ah now cmon!

Ah now cmon!

Haha, just said Id ask if anyone knew 'cause it's the part I'm struggling with! Plus I've an old injury that isn't helping my cause in that regard!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Ah now cmon!
    C'mere, not everyone is in the know like yourself Wilco, it was a legitimate question. Replies like that will only put people off asking questions, which shouldn't be the case. Everyone has different concerns and should be able to voice them without getting sarcastic comments back. All I am saying is show a small bit of respect.

Some serious hand holding going to be needed in the college by the looks of it - you lookin for some employment mickaleen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

If you've nothing constructive to add, don't post

Move on please

KERSPLAT!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

Its a regular occurrence - people expecting everything to be the easy way

We had a female who REFUSED to do pushups as it will 'tighten my womb' and it was a 'disgrace to expect a lady to have her face in the dirt'

:rolleyes:

Advertisement