Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 7 "Mockingbird": *HAVE NOT* read the books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Dempsey wrote: »
    I avoided trailers

I think most non readers did likewise, you're better off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

The ultimate in friendzoned having to give advice to the girl about her bad boy boyfriend.

The way Jorah puffed his chest and smirked his face like he did something special when she sent him off with his consolation prize was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thought it was a so so episode,really disappointed that we have to wait a fortnight for the trial by combat.Think it was pretty much telegraphed from the evolving storyline that it would be Mountain and Oberyn,no spoilers required.
    Do not Jorah Mormont will ever break out of the dreaded friend zone,gotta be killing him.
    Bored by the whole Brienne/Podrick storyline.
    Anybody care to speculate on why the Red woman needs Stannis's disfigured daughter to accompany her when she sets sail?
    Littlefinger's scene at the finale was just spectacular,he gets better all the time....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

wprathead wrote: »
    Still, will Stannis burn his own daughter? He had serious doubts about burning Gendry- he pretty much let Davos save him last season.. Plus- no way Davos would let him. Also, did The Red Woman (can't remember her name, Melesandy or something) just admit that most of her "magic" are potion tricks?

Was surprisingly heartbreaking listening to The Hound talk of his childhood and being more alone than Ayra..

Oberyn is quickly becoming my fav character! His story of meeting Tyrion as a child was potent- Cercesi still wants him dead and Jamie is still trying to save him.

The mountain is a BEASHT..

I hope Robin gets thrown out like his wacko of a mother - was badass to see Littlefinger comfort her then go "Your sister". Kinda felt it coming but stil- woo ha

Great episode - shame they didn't show Daenerys sex scene though:D:pac:
    Yeah Melissandre did let her guard down and admit she's a bit of a con artist.:)
    So Stannis's daughter is going to be made a sacrifice to the Lord of Light as a heretic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

seligehgit wrote: »
    Thought it was a so so episode,really disappointed that we have to wait a fortnight for the trial by combat.Think it was pretty much telegraphed from the evolving storyline that it would be Mountain and Oberyn,no spoilers required.
    Do not Jorah Mormont will ever break out of the dreaded friend zone,gotta be killing him.
    Bored by the whole Brienne/Podrick storyline.
    Anybody care to speculate on why the Red woman needs Stannis's disfigured daughter to accompany her when she sets sail?
    Littlefinger's scene at the finale was just spectacular,he gets better all the time....

Anybody care to speculate anything about the red woman? There are some character's in this show that aren't explained properly given their seeming importance imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yeah Melissandre did let her guard down and admit she's a bit of a con artist.:)
    So Stannis's daughter is going to be made a sacrifice to the Lord of Light as a heretic?

I think it was a confidence trick considering the Shadow Assassin she had!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

the red woman must have some powers did she not give birth to some dark creature in a cave?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

A great episode, this series is a cracker - loving every second of it... its so different to any other TV series its just impossible to compare it to anything. Nice to see a bit of vulnerability from the hound - a very complex character who apart from Tyrion is my favorite in the show.

Its all coming together nicely for the rest of the season, Jon Snow defending the wall seemingly on his own, the battle to save Tyrion, Littlefinger being the ultimate little fecker, The mad nudy wan in red and he crazy antics, the hound/Arya...among lots of other plots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

wprathead wrote: »
    Still, will Stannis burn his own daughter? He had serious doubts about burning Gendry- he pretty much let Davos save him last season.. Plus- no way Davos would let him. Also, did The Red Woman (can't remember her name, Melesandy or something) just admit that most of her "magic" are potion tricks?

Was surprisingly heartbreaking listening to The Hound talk of his childhood and being more alone than Ayra..

Oberyn is quickly becoming my fav character! His story of meeting Tyrion as a child was potent- Cercesi still wants him dead and Jamie is still trying to save him.

The mountain is a BEASHT..

I hope Robin gets thrown out like his wacko of a mother - was badass to see Littlefinger comfort her then go "Your sister". Kinda felt it coming but stil- woo ha

Great episode - shame they didn't show Daenerys sex scene though:D:pac:

Sorry to be a total perv here, but Emilia Clarke has said she will be doing no more nude scenes, which filled me with great sadness :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

kryogen wrote: »
    Sorry to be a total perv here, but Emilia Clarke has said she will be doing no more nude scenes, which filled me with great sadness :(
    They should get rid of her and get a new actress who will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I've never read the books.

However, dragons & magic aside, this show has really matured into a properly great drama in its own right.

Every episode of S4 thus far has been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i see 3 trolls have voted in the poll :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

Hmm really enjoyed the last episode but found this one a little bit plodding. Every plot moment seemed really telegraphed. Ok the champion moment was always coming, but the trampling of the snowcastle/slap/kiss/push arc felt like writers going through the motions, Daenerys' love triangle was soap opera stuff, at the wall another meeting for some easy plot exposition.

I know they're all things that need to happen to further the story, just thought they didn't put as much effort as usual in to making them happen in an interesting way, Oberyn's speech being the exception

Having said all that I do think it was a case of taking a breather and setting up the final 3 episodes, but found myself a bit bored watching for the first time all season

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

thefa wrote: »
    I don't think they will have Oberyn lose which I assume would also doom Tyrion.

I said basically the same about Ned in Season 1. Never thought he'd be killed off so nothing would surprise me regarding Tyrion. Also when the Hound was up against Beric, in the trial by combat, I expected Beric to win based on how the story progressed but he didn't. Aso, surely we're going to see The Hound vs The Mountain??!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,034 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I must say that scene in the dungeon between Oberyn and Tyrion was one of my highlights of the entire history of the show. Was goose-bump inducing watching the emotion in both the men, and as someone mentioned before I was fist-pumping when Oberyn revealed he'll be his champion (although I saw it coming anyway).

Also thought the scene with Bronn was well done as well.
    Tyrion (paraphrasing):"It looks like I'll have to kill the Mountain myself. It shall make quite a song". Bronn: "I look forward to hearing them singing it".
    *wipes away tear*

Oh and that Robyn chap has definitely taken the mantle as the most annoying character on the show

I think this will mean that The Hound and Arya will divert their course now that he can't get his ransom. Maybe head to Braavos?

Just thinking also, if Tyrion did die and Littlefinger married Sansa, would that make him King of the North and the place he is new (The Eyrie is it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Oberyn is only finding his feet in the show. I think he'd be a great loss if the Mountain kills him, and yet... I can't see him winning.
    I'd still feel that the Hound would need to "re-unite" with his brother.

Aiden Gillen is great, really like him. That said, how many different voices did he have in this episode alone? Ridiculous!

Not doing anything speculative here, but doesn't Podric look like a plump Gendry?

Degag wrote: »
    I think this will mean that The Hound and Arya will divert their course now that he can't get his ransom. Maybe head to Braavos?

Just thinking also, if Tyrion did die and Littlefinger married Sansa, would that make him King of the North and the place he is new (The Eyrie is it?)

How will they find out though? I assume they will continue to the destination unless someone tells them that Littlefinger is now in command there, and even then if they are told Sansa is there surely Arya will want to go anyway?

To the second part, yeah I think so, not sure what the story is with the Boltons in that regard though, Roose to be precise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

This episode had one of the first "Ah here..." moments in all of GoT for me - the scene with The Hound and Arya versus the bounty hunters.

The bounty hunters would have been searching for days/weeks to track down The Hound. Then they have an opportunity to sneak attack when he's off guard, kneeling on the ground and blind sided, and one of them just jumps up on him and just bites his neck?!

Then, after saying the other guy is on her death list, Arya has all the time in the world to draw her sword and stab him in the heart while he just lets her. He doesn't move an inch and doesn't try to defend himself at all with his already drawn sword.

Really hope there aren't more lazily unrealistic scenes like that.

How will they find out though? I assume they will continue to the destination unless someone tells them that Littlefinger is now in command there, and even then if they are told Sansa is there surely Arya will want to go anyway?

To the second part, yeah I think so, not sure what the story is with the Boltons in that regard though, Roose to be precise

Well, they found out about Joffrey in their travels in this episode so news seems to travel fairly quick.

• Advertisement

Oberyn is only finding his feet in the show. I think he'd be a great loss if the Mountain kills him, and yet... I can't see him winning.
    I'd still feel that the Hound would need to "re-unite" with his brother.

Aiden Gillen is great, really like him. That said, how many different voices did he have in this episode alone? Ridiculous!

Not doing anything speculative here, but doesn't Podric look like a plump Gendry?

I fully expect Oberyn to get killed by the mountain.

Cianos wrote: »
    This episode had one of the first "Ah here..." moments in all of GoT for me - the scene with The Hound and Arya versus the bounty hunters.

The bounty hunters would have been searching for days/weeks to track down The Hound. Then they have an opportunity to sneak attack when he's off guard, kneeling on the ground and blind sided, and one of them just jumps up on him and just bites his neck?!

Then, after saying the other guy is on her death list, Arya has all the time in the world to draw her sword and stab him in the heart while he just lets her. He doesn't move an inch and doesn't try to defend himself at all with his already drawn sword.

Really hope there aren't more lazily unrealistic scenes like that.

I don't think they were tracking him at all, just happened to come across him and try their luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

One brilliant decision in the episode was keeping Tyrion in shot while Oberyn went through his tour from Cersei.
    Drinklage's changes in expression we're f*in gutwrenching. Yet another side to Tyrion's character. He's done more in the last two episodes than in the three previous seasons, therefore by default the Emmy is his again.
    Deserved.

Well, they found out about Joffrey in their travels in this episode so news seems to travel fairly quick.

True enough, but Joffrey was a murdered king of the realm, not sure the happenings with Littlefinger would make such big news. Or would he even allow the news out?

They could find out of course, but look how long it took for them to find out about the king :)

Just re watching the episode now, that slap is a thing of beauty

I fully expect Oberyn to get killed by the mountain.

Here's another theory I just thought of. Oberyn gets killed but he wounds The Mountain in the battle. Apparently he likes to put poison on his sword?

So The Mountain also dies and Tyrion is found innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Oh and that Robyn chap has definitely taken the mantle as the most annoying character on the show

An impressive feat considering he has to compete with his mother and Sansa in Eyrie alone :D

Here's another theory I just thought of. Oberyn gets killed but he wounds The Mountain in the battle. Apparently he likes to put poison on his sword?

So The Mountain also dies and Tyrion is found innocent.

He likes to put poison on his sword?

Dunno what would happen in that situation then, both champions dead, a mis trial maybe :)

He likes to put poison on his sword?

Dunno what would happen in that situation then, both champions dead, a mis trial maybe :)

Think someone said it in last weeks thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Highlight of the Episode for me.Great scene
    "I will be your champion."

You could see it coming but it didn't make it any less epic. Loved the emotion in his voice too when he said "What about what I want?".

He's a brilliant character. He'll probably be killed in the next episode now :(.

• Advertisement

Think someone said it in last weeks thread.

I do think I remember a reference to it now actually, someone called him Viper I think

Advertisement