Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite: Dangerous

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Ah wouldn't worry about me crashing, my PC is slowly dying so it happens. Lots of weird stuff going on though. Sent to kill a cyclops and a medusa spawns instead, your melting hull, lots of instancing issue

The Vanguard is departing in 12 Hrs for CD-26 234 (41Ly away) and isn't giving out any missions at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I tried to solo a Cyclops this evening. Thought I did pretty okay. But no luck in the end :) I tried to record it, but was playing in VR and it recorded my whole desktop. Here are some snippets though!

I managed to destroy the 4 hearts
    461124.PNG

But I got hit with that electro blast unfortunately and my shields were gone again
    461125.PNG

Very challenging and good fun. Lost count of the number of times my shields went down. I think having a human in a fighter would help. A human fighter pilot could probably draw the thargoid away a bit easier so the mothership can regain shields.

Ouch, you were so close as well...

Ouch, you were so close as well...

On the positive side it is genuinely challenging. Regular NPC bounty hunting is nothing compared to Thargoid hunting :) Also I'm only using a reinforced alloy module as I couldn't afford the military grade composite. I'll do a bit more regular mission and bounty hunting stuff and then go buy that military grade composite module. It was so close, I can't help but feel I might have got it if I'd had that 50% extra hull the military module has over the reinforced.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any good builds or advice for PVP with an Imperial Courier?

Looking for some advice from more experienced players please! I want to outfit a cutter for combat, but I don't know where to start. I don't yet have access to prismatic shields, so I guess I'll be going with bi-weave. But not sure what the most effective load out is? Any fixed weapons? all gimballed or some turret as well maybe? Thanks!

Depends, is it for PvP or PvE?

Depends, is it for PvP or PvE?

I'd leave the PVP stuff to small & medium ships.

I'd leave the PVP stuff to small & medium ships.

Agreed.

Shield/Hull tank it, SCBs, fighter bay and stick on gimballed weapons. Sit in a Res/CZ all day long! Something like this maybe?

Being honest, I've never spec'd a combat build on the cutter only used it as a cargo runner! I got it after the corvette and to me there's no comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Joined a wing (player controlled faction) to see if it can drum up my interest in ED.

feelsbadman for the pirates they sent me after.

Agreed.

Shield/Hull tank it, SCBs, fighter bay and stick on gimballed weapons. Sit in a Res/CZ all day long! Something like this maybe?

Being honest, I've never spec'd a combat build on the cutter only used it as a cargo runner! I got it after the corvette and to me there's no comparison.

I have some friends in game who have amazingly well engineered combat Corvettes. They also use their Cutters as cargo cows :) But the first time I encountered one in game was when a guy in one winged up with me for some Haz Res bounty hunting. We were attacked by 4 player pirates and my main memory of that event was just how unstoppable the Cutter seemed. They couldn't take it's shields down and couldn't stopping it leaving if he wanted to. He didn't even have to high wake it out, boost and then super cruise.

In the end I'll probably get a Corvette as well. But before that I'd like to do some basking in a Cutter :)

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Joined a wing (player controlled faction) to see if it can drum up my interest in ED.

feelsbadman for the pirates they sent me after.

Did it work? Are you still playing? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

In the end I'll probably get a Corvette as well. But before that I'd like to do some basking in a Cutter :)

I'd go with the corvette first that thing is a serious machine and great fun, its maneuverable almost like a mid sized ship and boy oh boy that fire power :D its addictive, melting everything in a haz rez

Regarding the Cutter I have one of those also and I never take it out omg is that thing a tank takes about a week to turn it around feels like a whale. I never fully engineered it so never realized its potential maybe only useful thing I did with it was mining :P the cargo capacity was great fill it with limpets plenty of space for all the ore etc not great though for zipping in and around the asteroids....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    I'd go with the corvette first that thing is a serious machine and great fun, its maneuverable almost like a mid sized ship and boy oh boy that fire power :D its addictive, melting everything in a haz rez

Regarding the Cutter I have one of those also and I never take it out omg is that thing a tank takes about a week to turn it around feels like a whale. I never fully engineered it so never realized its potential maybe only useful thing I did with it was mining :P the cargo capacity was great fill it with limpets plenty of space for all the ore etc not great though for zipping in and around the asteroids....

It would be logical to go for the Corvette. But in a not very logic based decision I decided to grind to King rank first (which I've done now) as I thought the cockpit of the Imperial Courier (which I already had) was such a nice place in VR :) Now I want a taste of the bigger Gutamaya ships! Right now I'm making about 80 to 90 mil an hour in Robigo with my Anaconda so I can maximise the potential of my future Cutter :)

I've grinded a lot in this game for engineering, guardian tech and rank etc. But never really just kept going to make as much money as possible. While doing so it did make me think what an amazing ship the Anaconda is. It really can do just about anything in the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Has there been any mention of space legs this year? I haven't played ED in a good while so am way out of the loop.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Rory28 wrote: »
    Has there been any mention of space legs this year? I haven't played ED in a good while so am way out of the loop.

No, there's meant to be a new paid expansion next year but we don't really know what's going to be in it yet. Space legs seems the most likely though I think.

Personally I'd rather see new types of planets become landable like earthlikes, water worlds or ammonia worlds.

Rory28 wrote: »

An interesting video on the upcoming chapter 4 expansion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4k11qBwOQE

Literally joined the wing/faction before I posted here last night :D

So yeah played a few minutes last night, playing now to do "BGS somfin overthrow somfin 60% somfin influence" :confused::confused:

"murder pirates" yup can do :pac:

I've grinded a lot in this game for engineering, guardian tech and rank etc. But never really just kept going to make as much money as possible. While doing so it did make me think what an amazing ship the Anaconda is. It really can do just about anything in the game!

Wing missions are where the money is at nowadays.

Once ranked with the local faction 40 to 50m missions are normal.

And a few cutters makes light work of some space trucking.

Literally joined the wing/faction before I posted here last night :D

So yeah played a few minutes last night, playing now to do "BGS somfin overthrow somfin 60% somfin influence" :confused::confused:

"murder pirates" yup can do :pac:

Wing missions are where the money is at nowadays.

Once ranked with the local faction 40 to 50m missions are normal.

And a few cutters makes light work of some space trucking.

I'm more of an ad hoc wing up type of player at the moment :) Although I was asking for advise in game from people I know who have them and wing missions + cutters immense cargo capacity did come up in conversation along with "it will make you billions in game". So I do believe you!

Can I ask what players group you joined? Would you recommend joining one?

• Advertisement

Mercenary obviously :D

https://inara.cz/wing/3908/

Who knew passenger missions gained you exploration rank? I didn't! But I got my first "Elite" ranking :) That was a pleasant surprise. Only realised when I noticed I was at 87% Pioneer and climbing rapidly!

462934.png

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yep sightseeing missions are exploration and transport from one place to another type are trade.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yep sightseeing missions are exploration and transport from one place to another type are trade.

This is awesome. Save some credits on ships / modules at Jameson Memorial as well :)

Played ED tonight for a bit, trying to do stuff. Did some space trucking in the Cutter, did some murder in the Corvette. Didnt have to worry about anything else just space truck some **** and murder some other ****.

Twas enjoyable.

Played ED tonight for a bit, trying to do stuff. Did some space trucking in the Cutter, did some murder in the Corvette. Didnt have to worry about anything else just space truck some **** and murder some other ****.

Twas enjoyable.

How did you choose a player group? There are so many...

How did you choose a player group? There are so many...

Any that one have:

Gawdy graphics.
    Forced play styles
    role players
    clan structure

Were removed picked one of the 3 or 30 that were left :D

Really pleased with my first attempt at a Cutter build. Only got to take her out for a 30 minute spin in HazRes as it took so long to put together!

https://s.orbis.zone/kqd

Kind of like all the "space drifting" you do in one :)

Practice leaving the slot in solo, you dont want any witnesses to your 1st whoopsie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Really pleased with my first attempt at a Cutter build. Only got to take her out for a 30 minute spin in HazRes as it took so long to put together!

https://s.orbis.zone/kqd

Kind of like all the "space drifting" you do in one :)

You have a real mix and match of engineered laser's focused and efficent , now I havnt payed in a good few months and I only play PvP and I think that's what your build is but Ive always gone with long range.

Long range doesnt draw any extra power really but you can go out to nearly 6 KM with 100% (if I remember correctly) now in my corvette build and that is only a PvP build I have 2 huge multis and the rest are (and that's a lot :cool:) are turreted long range beams. What this enables me to do is target them before they are in range, I fire my beams from 6km out and let them go to work. Thing is with turreted lasers and big ships is the smaller faster ships will try and get behind you and with turrets the arc of fire is amazing and you will almost inevitable always have fire on them.

Now with a cutter I would think, this is even more important and that thing is bus and does not turn quick at all.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Advertisement