Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Anyone have much trouble defeating the big bird in the final Shangri-la.

Its starting to get the better of me.
    Best strategy I have found is to keep an eye on its patterns. It has three main ones: it stops and unfolds its wings - which summons demons; it shoots fireballs from its mouth; and it opens its mouth and roars at you periodically.

Keep moving around the arena until you see it opening its mouth. Stop and quickly shoot it with an arrow. When you do this three times, it collapses to the floor. At this point, send the tiger in to attack it.

Only take on the demons you need to and keep moving. After you do this process three times, it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Cheers but I've given up ;) I downed the fecker twice but I dont think the tiger was pulling his weight.

Finished the campaign last night with 62% completion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

4 more trophies and I have the platinum, the "perform a takedown from a buzzer" was a pain in the ass to get .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

4 more trophies and I have the platinum, the "perform a takedown from a buzzer" was a pain in the ass to get .

Do you have the herk dlc from the limited edition ?
    you actually have to do one as part of his missions, 3rd one I think
    easiest place to get it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

calex71 wrote: »
    Do you have the herk dlc from the limited edition ?
    you actually have to do one as part of his missions, 3rd one I think
    easiest place to get it.

I do, Ahhhh i didn't know that, trust me too do it the hard way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I do, Ahhhh i didn't know that, trust me too do it the hard way.

Ah here sure by the time it became available I had it done with much frustration on a pagans wrath convoy :(

Just got the platinum \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ya I just realised that I'm a lot closer to getting the platinum then I thought.

Still have 4 missions, a bomb defusal and 1 Shangra la mission to do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

finished last night with about 34hrs and 34% completion. Did all the missions, 7 or 8 outposts and a few collectibles along the way. Never bothered with a lot of the rescues, speed runs etc and really I'm happy to be done with it. A good game but not a great one! My choices were I chose
    Sabal but didnt kill Amita, then I chose not to kill Pagan and let him do his thing and as he flew away I took the helicopter out with a missile.

Platinumed the game last night. Took me 40h with a completion of 99.58% :P

Also regarding how it ended for you I did pretty much the exact same thing at the very end except
    I used a sniper and it somehow blew up the chopper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

only need the 2 co-op trophies to platinum. For the ending,
    chose Sabal and didn't kill Amita, had dinner with Pagan and left him go in helicopter but killed him with BuzzSaw. After credits went to temple to find Sabal executing Amita's followers so killed him. Also if you return to Pagan's mansion you can find the helicopter crash site where his body can be looted and earn 350,000

only need the 2 co-op trophies to platinum. For the ending,
    chose Sabal and didn't kill Amita, had dinner with Pagan and left him go in helicopter but killed him with BuzzSaw. After credits went to temple to find Sabal executing Amita's followers so killed him. Also if you return to Pagan's mansion you can find the helicopter crash site where his body can be looted and earn 350,000

I can help ya with them tonight eoin if ya want, or if anyone wants them.

I can help ya with them tonight eoin if ya want, or if anyone wants them.
    Should be online around 10pm , if you have all the outposts unlocked you can't replay them in co-op but fortresses count for the trophy and for the vehicle takedown one, royal cargo seems to be the easiest way. I have all outpost unlocked and only have Pagan Min's fortress to do

I have all the outpost done too except for 2 fortesses I think,I'll invite you into my game.

Also, I had no idea the map editor was for single player content. That's actually pretty cool.

Only found that out once I realised I was pretty close to getting the platinum.

Was also really lucky to get the co op vehicle takedown trophy. The lad I usually play with wasn't around so I gambled and joined a random game.

We had no voice chat but literally the first thing we did was hop on a quad bike and one of the trucks happened to be nearby so I was able to do it after a minute of joining! :P

Thought I'd be at it for a while.

I have all the outpost done too except for 2 fortesses I think,I'll invite you into my game.

Cool , will be on tonight

Escape from Durgesh Prison DLC
    Get ready to Escape from Durgesh Prison on January 13, 2015. Players will have to complete a series of challenges while racing against the clock to earn themselves a spot on the leaderboards – but if you go down, you won’t be getting back up. Escape from Durgesh Prison will introduce permadeath into the world of Far Cry 4, so you’ll need to be extra careful when planning your exit strategy.

Kyrat is dangerous enough when you’re fully armed and capable of respawning. But facing the dangers of this treacherous nation… with nothing in your arsenal? That’s going to be tricky. After Ajay and Hurk wake up in Yuma’s prison, stripped of all their weapons, they will need to complete challenges to find new weapons and unlock skills. Take your time to plan and be careful, but not too much time because the clock is still ticking and you need to reach the extraction point.

Escape from Durgesh Prison can be played in both single-player and co-op mode. Should you die, you will have to start the mission over again, but this time you’ll have all the knowledge and skills you gained in your previous attempts. This DLC will have you racing across Kyrat to complete side objectives to recover all your lost weapons and upgrade your gear before one last assault on Yuma’s forces.

at the zoo with my daughter and feeling guilty at the amount of these animals I've slaughtered!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

no tears for humans indiscriminately killed though right :P

SeantheMan wrote:
    no tears for humans indiscriminately killed though right 

no they all deserved it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

anyone else downloading on uplay today and having terrible speeds? peaking at 76kb/s, estimated time remaining 115h :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

anyone else downloading on uplay today and having terrible speeds? peaking at 76kb/s, estimated time remaining 115h :(

Servers must be getting hammered with downloads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Neat breakdown of the radical tonal differences between Far Cry 2 and 4, and how that's articulated through the game mechanics:

Good to see someone fighting the good fight for the bold and brilliant Far Cry 2 ;)

Far Cry 2 certainly had some great idea's but I just couldn't go back and play that game.

Just found it a bit boring.

That said, the clip you posted definitely raises some excellent points regarding overpowered weapons and how death doesn't really matter. If those two things were reviewed you'd have a much more rewarding game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd agree with a lot of the criticisms of 4 there. Playing it at the moment, and I just can't get into it at all. I've said that the leap between FC2 and 3 reminds of the first two Assassins Creeds games: Where a world that was wholly wasted, empty and dull, with dodgy mechanics was radically course corrected in the sequel. Unfortunately the Assassins Creed trajectory is continuing for me in FC4.

I've never completed the Ezio games. I think Revelations is where I tapped out. The sides quests and bolted on mechanics just made the thing unwieldy and confused. You'd step off a boat and next thing you've 10 icons flashing in your map. It's game overload. I can see the dilemma for the developers. The need to give the player something new, while not moving that far from a previously successful formula, but for me, they've just over egged the pudding.

The writing is terrible as well. I'm scared of approaching new characters. I dread the two minutes of bull**** that will flow out of their mouths. I just find myself willing them to shut the **** up and give me a mission. The only character that I find remotely interesting so far is the Rabi Ray; maybe it's because I haven't meant him yet. All of the games have had almost universally terrible characterisation, but this game makes me nearly miss the Bros. They didn't irritate me as much. At least they got to the point. Maybe it's Vaas i'm missing*. As much as I admire Troy Baker, I'm just finding Pagan Min to just dull. And remote, in every sense.

Pretty game world, but I prefer the Island Setting. I can understand how some people will prefer this i(t's probably the best most interesting option available) but I liked how any location in 3 was accessible**.

And on offence. 3 seemed to ruffle a few feathers but is this really better. You're still essentially playing a yank. Missions where I've to go to a temple and clicking x three times to "gain Karma", had me raising an eyebrow. It's certainly as stupid as COD's "press X to show respect" Friend is married to Nepalese and love to hear her views on this game.

* My interest FC3, did drop considerably in the second Island.

** Including the ability to reach the second Island from the start. This kind of gave me a tick when I learned i could just swim there from the start. Years of artificial barriers, told me I couldn't reach this.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

* My interest FC3, did drop considerably in the second Island.

Just shows its all about Vaas :) Who can name the 2nd boss in FC3 ? Vaas was just so well written and believable as being completely psychotic

Toppy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

-Toppy- wrote: »
    Just shows its all about Vaas :) Who can name the 2nd boss in FC3 ? Vaas was just so well written and believable as being completely psychotic

Toppy

Hoyt,

but only cause I use his name in the sentence "hoyt was a big letdown after vaas'

if they'd done some sort of reshuffle where vaas was the main antagonist and buck (buck was far more intersting than hoyt as well) was the mid level guy, it would have made a better game overall. leave hoyt as a sort of financial backer that gets killed by vaas for criticizing his methods.

Neat breakdown of the radical tonal differences between Far Cry 2 and 4, and how that's articulated through the game mechanics:

Good to see someone fighting the good fight for the bold and brilliant Far Cry 2 ;)

First off the comments on FC4, feeling like a "playground". I agree entirely, it's telling that you can get the wingsuit in the first half hour of the game. You worked for your toys a lot harder in 3.

"Weapons are rusty". To have weapons in various states of repair isn't actually a bad idea. It's just so hopelessly implemented in FC2 that I wonder about the development time and playtesting. It's reasonable that in that environment the player could come across bodies and scavenge/loot old weapons. Perhaps these would be the first weapons the player comes across. Exposure would have rendered these less than reliable and it'd be perfectly fine in context. Buying a brand new weapon and having it decay to the state on inoperability with 20 minutes undercuts this. In fact it does the very opposite, it robs earned progression, takes the player out of the world and makes them feel like they're been gamed. "And are prone to breakdown at the worst possible time." I noted that as well. Again and again, so much so as to render the mechanic completely transparent.

He mentions fast travel. I just finished GTAV on the PS4. As I neared the end I had a crazy thought "i'd like to walk across the map". I will never do this. Ever, but it did occur to me because it terms of assets and art it's rich, densely layered and lovingly conceived. There are areas their that exist solely because Rockstar are good at their craft. I came across some Earthships early on and immediately thought "this has to be a future mission". It wasn't, but it just one of the small details that populate that map. Then you've the emptiness of FC2. It need fast travel precisely because there's **** all to see in it. The lack of Fast travel makes this even more painfully obvious. I remember wandering around trying to see where the stitching was with the procedural stuff I got so bored.

Malaria: No it's just a terrible idea. It could have been mitigated had altered it slightly. Malaria on condition that weapons okay = true. Instead like a bad magician, FC2 reveals the secrets of it's act all to readily to the audience. It's a bad idea anyway and one so awful it's never appeared again in the Developer book of bad ideas. You know where games like to take away you're guns at a certain point because they're **** out of ideas. It's like they looked at that at though "can we kick the player in the balls as well and make happen in the middle of a firefight" I've used the analogy before but it'd be like a platformer that randomly takes away/nerfs the jump button. It's massively unfair and a cheap ****ty way of creating difficulty/tension.

"Emotional Trauma in regard to the buddy system". **** off. Seriously, they were paper thin and had almost zero characterisation. If they had been well written, interesting characters then they'd be on to something, but they weren't. It could be a great idea, but like may aspects of production it was half assed.

I forgot about the map. I liked that aspect of it quite a bit.

Hate the tracking through walls thing alright.

The save game thing. I disagree on. FC4 is possibly too generous with the save points, but FC2 was the opposite.

The fire was well done in 2.

I won't go into FC2 abysmal AI.

All in all, FC2 greatest sin was that it wasn't fun. It was tolerable if you kept the engagements at long distance and closed, but otherwise it was a frustrating experience that screamed for a need of a lot of playtesting and polishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I just realized I never played FC2 or 3... I think the idea of the change of scenery put me off FC2, but I loved FC1 at the time, really ground breaking and loved how the dynamics of the game changed once the thingies came into it.

I'm playing through FC4 but frankly I'm not enjoying it as much as I'm enjoying FC1. They seem to have concentrated more on how big the world is rather than how good the game play is. One thing I loved in FC1 was the overuse of dynamics - you'd creep up to a camp and there'd be a bunch of explosive barrels randomly perched at a top of a hill. Shoot the wood supporting them and they'd roll down the hill, shoot them as they crashed through the tin walls and boom the camp goes up in flames, pure chaos.

Even though FC4 is far more advanced I just don't get that open world, random dynamics feel. Every outpost I've taken has gone pretty much the same - stealth kills and then maybe I get caught and a bit of a fire fight. There just isn't enough random elements or even posed elements to make it different. Having said that I'm only about 30-40% through thegame.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    I just realized I never played FC2 or 3... I think the idea of the change of scenery put me off FC2, but I loved FC1 at the time, really ground breaking and loved how the dynamics of the game changed once the thingies came into it.

I'm playing through FC4 but frankly I'm not enjoying it as much as I'm enjoying FC1. They seem to have concentrated more on how big the world is rather than how good the game play is. One thing I loved in FC1 was the overuse of dynamics - you'd creep up to a camp and there'd be a bunch of explosive barrels randomly perched at a top of a hill. Shoot the wood supporting them and they'd roll down the hill, shoot them as they crashed through the tin walls and boom the camp goes up in flames, pure chaos.

Even though FC4 is far more advanced I just don't get that open world, random dynamics feel. Every outpost I've taken has gone pretty much the same - stealth kills and then maybe I get caught and a bit of a fire fight. There just isn't enough random elements or even posed elements to make it different. Having said that I'm only about 30-40% through thegame.

Trigens and all, I really like Far Cry (PC). The ability to approach a situation was pretty much up to you. FC2 punished the player for going in guns blazing.

You're right about physics and how Havoc's system were integrated into the game. That was a big deal and a lot was made of it at the time. Destructible environments were to be the future. It clearly wasn't because I'd totally forgotten about it until you brought it up.

Advertisement