Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    anyone try to take a fortress before you completed the associated campaign quest?

I've only done 2 so far

the first which I did after the campaign quest and it was still damn hard to do without setting off the alarms.

the second I went to just have a look as I hadnt done the quest associated yet and found that there was a very clear and easy way in to take it so I did it really bloody easily.

Though I admit picking up that 50. cal sniper makes everything easier once you bang a silencer on it :D

I've only just crossed into the north side of the map last night and I've clocked close to 15 hours gametime. But I'm way overskilled and overgeared and done almost all the secondary quests.

I've taken 2 myself but both were weakened, I did try to do one early on before I had my silenced sniper or crossbow and the place was surrounded with mines, couldn't get anywhere near it without being blown to bits :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

anyone try to take a fortress before you completed the associated campaign quest?

I've only done 2 so far

the first which I did after the campaign quest and it was still damn hard to do without setting off the alarms.

the second I went to just have a look as I hadnt done the quest associated yet and found that there was a very clear and easy way in to take it so I did it really bloody easily.

Though I admit picking up that 50. cal sniper makes everything easier once you bang a silencer on it :D

I've only just crossed into the north side of the map last night and I've clocked close to 15 hours gametime. But I'm way overskilled and overgeared and done almost all the secondary quests.

I've done two of them early on. Did the first one the hard way by clambering over the walls. And then found the "secret", well indirect path in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

games are never hard enough these days :(

they promised they'd be very difficult without a co-op partner or weakened defences first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

games are never hard enough these days :(

they promised they'd be very difficult without a co-op partner or weakened defences first.

Demon/Dark souls were pretty damm hard tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Had all 4 Fortresses done before the 2nd mission in the North, they were not very hard. All had a soft spot with which you could take almost everyone from.

Did all the towers and Outposts from the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I didn't realise there were accompanying missions for the fortresses. I took out one myself last night.

I'll just play through the campaign to get the others now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wheres the ghale homestead?

Wheres the ghale homestead?

1415625912-far-cry-4-map1.jpg

To the right of Chal Jama Monastery.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thanks for that , haven't come across it yet then.

tok9 wrote: »
    I didn't realise there were accompanying missions for the fortresses. I took out one myself last night.

I'll just play through the campaign to get the others now.

there's not a mission involving the fortress. It's just if you complete the campaign section involving that character, their fortress is substantially weakened (minefield cleared, numbers decreased) but as people are pointing out a lot of them are fairly easy even without that bonus.

I've just done yuma's without doing anything involving her and it was ridiculous how easy it was. More so because I realized it was the fortress that was on the Eurogamer expo floorshow which disapointed me because it was so much better in the demo. They had trucks etc parked inside the fortress that you can cut the brakes on and it roll down the slope killing guards, plant c4 on the truck so when it finally stops you set it off killing anyone remaining etc.

none of that in the game. Just another fortress with easy to pick off guards and a single dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Just 2 missions after defending the monistary . How long before I unlock the north

about 5 - 7 direct campaign missions I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭recyclops

Lads I stuck it on earlier first time. Chatting to pagan min and a knock at the door was the local postman we chat for a bit I come back. Do a bit and the credits roll. Did I just ruin the game for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

recyclops wrote:
    Lads I stuck it on earlier first time. Chatting to pagan min and a knock at the door was the local postman we chat for a bit I come back. Do a bit and the credits roll. Did I just ruin the game for myself.

you just accidentally found the secret ending. let's go shoot some guns!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

recyclops wrote: »

What exactly happened! Tell me all.

sweetie wrote: »
    you just accidentally found the secret ending. let's go shoot some guns!

That was pretty much it. Placed mothers ashes down go outside pagan says that we hop on a helicopter game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

What type of maniac doesn't pause the game when they leave the room!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

You can't pause cutscenes in this, even if you go the PS menu it still plays out.

I'm enjoying my radio bangs with Min :D

thorbarry wrote: »
    What type of maniac doesn't pause the game when they leave the room!!! :D

I tried to do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Do you need to have played previous far cry's to understand the plot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Juan8 wrote: »
    Do you need to have played previous far cry's to understand the plot?

No, they have always been separate games. You can pick it up and play a new story with every release.

I love the mortar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I love the mortar :D

What does it do?

If you complete a certain quest chain you get one of those that you can carry.

I didnt realize this at first. I thought it was just a standard rocket launcher.

Until I launched it at a convoy coming towards me and I took out all 3 trucks with one shot.

Just dont try to shoot down helicopters with it. Almost killed myself a few times by doing that.

So after doing every outpost/fortress and major sidequest in the game (except the last one for the drug addicts which hasnt shown up yet) I've got back to doing the main quest and I'm at the last point to choose which side to support for the last leg of the game and
    They are both complete and utter prats. This game beyond any game I've ever played screams for a 3rd option to say f*ck you to both sides. Amita, the progressive female character feels like she's written by some gamergate supporter who's never talked to a woman the way she carries on and Sabal is a wet towel of platitudes and tradition to the point that I'm convinced that he's some sort of trick answer where if I select him they'll light the girl character they are arguing over on fire. It's also doesnt make sense in the game world. By this point I am more popular and more effective then either of these knuckle heads and should be able to say no we are not blowing up our temples! But we are also not marrying off child brides and treating women like sh*t. God I hate the two of them so very much.

aside from that the mg42 is ridiculously overpowered allowing me to the last few side missions and outpost within minutes, especially when you run with the mg42, the mortar rocket launcher and the silenced 50.cal sniper. It pretty much allows you to one shot everything.

Though I dont think you even need the mortar rocket launcher cause I've taken choppers down with a short burst from the mg42.

The shangri La side missions were the best but also the ones I feel most cheated coming out of them as they give f*ck and all in terms of gear or items and it would have been cool to have my own invisible white tiger in the main campaign to help clear outposts.

Edit:

And done

well I can say safely that far cry 3 has it beat in story department (though it has a sh*t ending too). In fact I feel fairly pissed off at the end of this. Incredibly poorly written characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

So after doing every outpost/fortress and major sidequest in the game (except the last one for the drug addicts which hasnt shown up yet) I've got back to doing the main quest and I'm at the last point to choose which side to support for the last leg of the game and
    They are both complete and utter prats. This game beyond any game I've ever played screams for a 3rd option to say f*ck you to both sides. Amita, the progressive female character feels like she's written by some gamergate supporter who's never talked to a woman the way she carries on and Sabal is a wet towel of platitudes and tradition to the point that I'm convinced that he's some sort of trick answer where if I select him they'll light the girl character they are arguing over on fire. It's also doesnt make sense in the game world. By this point I am more popular and more effective then either of these knuckle heads and should be able to say no we are not blowing up our temples! But we are also not marrying off child brides and treating women like sh*t. God I hate the two of them so very much.

aside from that the mg42 is ridiculously overpowered allowing me to the last few side missions and outpost within minutes, especially when you run with the mg42, the mortar rocket launcher and the silenced 50.cal sniper. It pretty much allows you to one shot everything.

Though I dont think you even need the mortar rocket launcher cause I've taken choppers down with a short burst from the mg42.

The shangri La side missions were the best but also the ones I feel most cheated coming out of them as they give f*ck and all in terms of gear or items and it would have been cool to have my own invisible white tiger in the main campaign to help clear outposts.

Edit:

And done

well I can say safely that far cry 3 has it beat in story department (though it has a sh*t ending too). In fact I feel fairly pissed off at the end of this. Incredibly poorly written characters.

So worth me forking 60 quid out for or should I wait for sales or prices to come down ?

If you've not played far cry 3 yet get that it's better overall package.

4 has more *stuff* but it's not all tied together.

All the criticisms of 3 are still present in 4 so it's not like they fixed anything.

In fact it's interesting that a key issue with 3. That a major event in the middle of the game made the last 3rd of it feel very meh is still present in 4 despite the fact they clearly tried to avoid it by keeping such events for the ending.

But I still found myself rushing through those last outposts and missions (which is really easy with the mg42, I'm serious the gun is stupidly strong) with an air of exhaustion and impatience. The style of game has limits and this game hits those limits about 2/3rds of the way in.

Havnt done any multiplayer but right now, I'd say no it's not worth €60 wait Til it's discounted unless you've not only lived far cry 3 but also have not played it in a while so the playstyle is fresh and you really are in the mood for chaos.

Paid €32 for it on PC and imo its worth that 35 hours SP time and same moans about the end of the game as above.

But I didnt get the game for story, it was to be a cross between a Predator and Rambo for me.

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    So worth me forking 60 quid out for or should I wait for sales or prices to come down ?

Where are buying it for 60? Get onto amazon and youll get for 50 with super saver delivery option.

Advertisement