Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding rabbits for the table- your thoughts please?

Options
  • 08-05-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

While another poster is desperately trying to get rid of unwanted rabbits, I am interested in breeding meat rabbits for feeding our family. We are low on money, we have cattle on our small farm already, but it just seems ironic - beef in our fields but not enough money to put beef on our table. And I am so fed up of buying the cheapest of supermarket meat, I thought maybe it would be healthy to supplement some of the rubbish we are eating during the week with the occasional rabbit stew. Maybe I'm crazy I don't know but it seems like a relatively low cost high return plan. Am I missing something?

I've sourced a breeder of the 2 main meat breeds, New Zealand and Californians, we have the space for rabbit runs, my husband can make hutches and runs from stuff we have in the farmyard.

Has anyone any advice for me, thoughts, opinions good or bad?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I know little of breeding rabbits. but my neighbours are keen on chickens and ducks. They let them wander the fields during the day and into a shed at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

morebabies wrote: »
    While another poster is desperately trying to get rid of unwanted rabbits, I am interested in breeding meat rabbits for feeding our family. We are low on money, we have cattle on our small farm already, but it just seems ironic - beef in our fields but not enough money to put beef on our table. And I am so fed up of buying the cheapest of supermarket meat, I thought maybe it would be healthy to supplement some of the rubbish we are eating during the week with the occasional rabbit stew. Maybe I'm crazy I don't know but it seems like a relatively low cost high return plan. Am I missing something?

I've sourced a breeder of the 2 main meat breeds, New Zealand and Californians, we have the space for rabbit runs, my husband can make hutches and runs from stuff we have in the farmyard.

Thanks.

It's a great idea......in theory.
    I'm guessing you may have kids (apologies if I'm wrong!) and knowing how I was at that age with animals.....I would not allow my 'pets' to be killed for the table.
    Have you any experience with butchering/killing animals? Could they turn out to be pets that you haven't the heart to kill?
    I would go with chickens personally, eggs are a great source of protein, a few hens wouldn't cost the earth and will eat scraps. And if you ask nicely, a local shop with give you a few stale loaves, those go a long way with chickens for feed!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

.Kovu. wrote: »
    It's a great idea......in theory.
    I'm guessing you may have kids (apologies if I'm wrong!) and knowing how I was at that age with animals.....I would not allow my 'pets' to be killed for the table.
    Have you any experience with butchering/killing animals? Could they turn out to be pets that you haven't the heart to kill?
    I would go with chickens personally, eggs are a great source of protein, a few hens wouldn't cost the earth and will eat scraps. And if you ask nicely, a local shop with give you a few stale loaves, those go a long way with chickens for feed!

Thanks for input, we have chickens at the moment and kids do love eggs, it's just the meat for dinner which I don't have a budget for and was hoping to come up with a viable healthy alternative.

I understand also the "pets" notion, so I think we can arrange from the outset that kids understand these are not just cute fluffy bunnies to cuddle if we just limit that type of interaction and put their care under the heading of "farm work".

Thanks for advice.

or like lambs, have one or two that are pets for the kids, and a clear distinction is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Thanks for input, we have chickens at the moment and kids do love eggs, it's just the meat for dinner which I don't have a budget for and was hoping to come up with a viable healthy alternative.

I understand also the "pets" notion, so I think we can arrange from the outset that kids understand these are not just cute fluffy bunnies to cuddle if we just limit that type of interaction and put their care under the heading of "farm work".

Thanks for advice.

if you have plenty eggs you don't really need meat protein is protein

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Thanks.

I wish you well - personally I wouldn't have the stomach to kill litttle bunnykins and then eat it - Could probably manage one or the other, not both -I know I'm a wuss. :o

The part of your post I highlighted though. I find we get much better and cheaper meat from the butcher. For example there is no fat off the mince and it hardly shrinks at all in the pan, unlike $hoite from T**co. Plus he'll throw in a bone or a bit of liver for the dog.

Good Luck

Here is a list of other protein sources that could be explored:

PROTEIN IN LEGUMES: Garbanzo beans, Kidney beans, Lentils, Lima beans, Navy beans, Soybeans, Split peas

PROTEIN IN GRAINS: Barley, Brown rice, Buckwheat, Millet, Oatmeal, Rye, Wheat germ, Wheat, hard red, Wild rice

VEGETABLE PROTEIN: Artichokes, Beets, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Green peas, Green pepper, Kale, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Mustard green, Onions, Potatoes, Spinach, Tomatoes, Turnip greens, Watercress, Yams, Zucchini

PROTEIN IN FRUITS: Apple, Banana, Cantaloupe, Grape, Grapefruit, Honeydew melon, Orange, Papaya, Peach, Pear, Pineapple, Strawberry, Tangerine, Watermelon

PROTEIN IN NUTS AND SEEDS: Almonds, Cashews, Filberts, Hemp Seeds, Peanuts, Pumpkin seeds, Sesame seeds, Sunflower seeds, Walnuts (black

Maphisto wrote: »
    I wish you well - personally I wouldn't have the stomach to kill litttle bunnykins and then eat it - Could probably manage one or the other, not both -I know I'm a wuss. :o

The part of your post I highlighted though. I find we get much better and cheaper meat from the butcher. For example there is no fat off the mince and it hardly shrinks at all in the pan, unlike $hoite from T**co. Plus he'll throw in a bone or a bit of liver for the dog.

Good Luck

I did see a program recently about getting better value in the local butcher, one of those feed loads of people on a budget programmes. They also shopped around.

Oldtree wrote: »
    I did see a program recently about getting better value in the local butcher, one of those feed loads of people on a budget programmes. They also shopped around.

Our fella always trims it before he weighs it - I know its all reflected in the price eventually but its just good psychology.

Plus you can get as small a portion as you need and we never have to throw any away that was gristle at the bottom of the carton, like supermarket meat.

I'm not a butcher btw :p

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I used to snare rabbits when I was a kid, and when I lived in Australia I'd pick off rabbits most nights with the shotgun and skin them for cooking (I've no problem in the killing of animals as long as it's (a) a pest, and (b) not simply discarded), and it's certainly good eating if you're picking them off as a matter of course. But to be honest, if you're breeding them just for eating then there are cheaper sources of meat out there. There's the attachment factor, especially if you have kids, and then there's the fact that they'll dig their way out of just about anywhere which means you'll have to spend a bit to keep them penned in.

Having said that though, if you do go down the road of breeding them for meat, then they are easy to kill humanely, easy to skin and clean, and they taste good in my opinion....

• Advertisement

I hear you, protein is protein, just I guess mine and hubbie's family are meat, veg and spuds people. Even tho I do buy the rubbish meat from the supermarkets, if it wasn't on the plate he'd be kinda wonderin.

Also I've tried a few of our local butchers and find them too expensive. Example - I feed a family of 5 on €2.50 of "meat" per day, my butcher charges much more than that and we are really not in a position to buy from him. Is there a certain cut of meat I should be asking for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I hear you, protein is protein, just I guess mine and hubbie's family are meat, veg and spuds people. Even tho I do buy the rubbish meat from the supermarkets, if it wasn't on the plate he'd be kinda wonderin.

Also I've tried a few of our local butchers and find them too expensive. Example - I feed a family of 5 on €2.50 of "meat" per day, my butcher charges much more than that and we are really not in a position to buy from him. Is there a certain cut of meat I should be asking for ?

A pound of pork mince is €3 in Aldi if I remember correctly, I think its really nice.

You would easily feed 4 adults with that in fajitas/bolognase etc and Im sure you could do the same if it was meat and 2 veg kinda dinner so should feed a family of 5 ok

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Is there no rabbits on your land?
    Could trap or shoot them

Is there no rabbits on your land?
    Could trap or shoot them

I've definitely seen hares, will ask hubbie about rabbits, not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

We shoot rabbits and game in the winter. We also shoot pigeons for a farmer when they are on the barley or rape. Pigeon is fantastic in taste. I store them in the freezer after removing the breasts. It's like the best of beef fillet. Ask around if any one goes out shooting. A lot of people don't always eat what they shoot.

We shoot rabbits and game in the winter. We also shoot pigeons for a farmer when they are on the barley or rape. Pigeon is fantastic in taste. I store them in the freezer after removing the breasts. It's like the best of beef fillet. Ask around if any one goes out shooting. A lot of people don't always eat what they shoot.

Thats good - we get a few woodcock now and again - Utube has a couple of recipes tips.

Any fishermen nearby? Most of fresh water guys throw them back but one of the lads goes sea fishing and comes back with buckets of mackeral - lovely ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I'm just starting to do this at the moment. I dont necessarily need to but i am trying to save for a mortgage etc and i see this as a viable way of creating my own mean supply.

There are lots of videos on youtube about it. ill drop you a pm now and discuss more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, the fields are teeming with wild rabbits at the moment (I counted 46 rabbits within sight of a gate that I was passing when walking the dogs last night - 46!) Does your husband have any interest in shooting - you could get him to bag a few for you any evening for the table and freezer. Cheaper than raising rabbits, maybe not as big as table rabbits but there are so many out there free, you could cook as many as you like.

There are so many cheaper ways to produce a meal, you need to educate yourself. Its amazing the delicious meals you can make relatively cheaply, when you know what you are at. Tinned beans - kidney beans for example are less than 50c, a high source of protein and when added to mince for example (minced pork, minced turkey are very good prices, and prob healthier than cheaper minced beef) with a pkt of passata (57c approx) would make a lovely meal over rice or with mash or spaggetti. Make dumplings (own brand flour is cheap and tastes the same as branded flours) to supplement a stew/casserole - just pop them on top of the pot to cook. Go to an asian shop and buy dried beans in bulk - soak overnight, then boil, then add some spices, veg and tomato sauce, puree, and make burgers to fry or a 'meatloaf' to bake - no one will miss the meat. Lentils are great also. Blend, flavour and shape and bake/fry/'meatball' shapes.

Can your husband barter (services/help/use of machinery etc) with another farmer for a lamb for your freezer?

Go to your local library and get out some budget cookbooks, some vegetarian cookbooks etc etc - you can produce some delicious meals very cheaply without meat. Google recipes too - theres millions online. I reckon we eat vegetarian maybe 3 or 4 days in the week - I have a few vegetarian recipes that the family prefer to meat dishes any day. Its all a matter of changing your style to make non-meat dishes more flavoursome and different, coming up with some clever ideas to bulk up your meat dishes (e.g. the beans/lentils/couscous/dumplings/quinoa/vegetables/rice etc). Spices - and I dont mean hot spices (if you have children) but flavour spices (eg cumin, coriander etc) will make non-meat dishes 'sing' and make them much more interesting and well liked. Frozen sweetcorn, frozen peas, frozen beans, can be really useful and cheap. Do you make stirfry? Veggie ones, over a bowl of noodles (79c/pack) can be really economical, kids love them!

Lidl and Aldi have some fantastic prices on foods that can provide you and your family with excellent meals - someone mentioned the minced pork already - pasta/noodles/rice with a nice sauce on top is quick & cheap to make. Do your homework - compare prices, read up on new recipes, google alternatives to meat, shoot some game/rabbits (or find a young chap with a rifle and let him do the shooting on your land), experiment with new dishes and ingredients.

good luck!

Lidi and Aldi products are getting better all the time, surpassing Tesco easily now imo and half the price.

aonb wrote: »
    OP, the fields are teeming with wild rabbits at the moment (I counted 46 rabbits within sight of a gate that I was passing when walking the dogs last night - 46!) Does your husband have any interest in shooting - you could get him to bag a few for you any evening for the table and freezer. Cheaper than raising rabbits, maybe not as big as table rabbits but there are so many out there free, you could cook as many as you like.

There are so many cheaper ways to produce a meal, you need to educate yourself. Its amazing the delicious meals you can make relatively cheaply, when you know what you are at. Tinned beans - kidney beans for example are less than 50c, a high source of protein and when added to mince for example (minced pork, minced turkey are very good prices, and prob healthier than cheaper minced beef) with a pkt of passata (57c approx) would make a lovely meal over rice or with mash or spaggetti. Make dumplings (own brand flour is cheap and tastes the same as branded flours) to supplement a stew/casserole - just pop them on top of the pot to cook. Go to an asian shop and buy dried beans in bulk - soak overnight, then boil, then add some spices, veg and tomato sauce, puree, and make burgers to fry or a 'meatloaf' to bake - no one will miss the meat. Lentils are great also. Blend, flavour and shape and bake/fry/'meatball' shapes.

Can your husband barter (services/help/use of machinery etc) with another farmer for a lamb for your freezer?

Go to your local library and get out some budget cookbooks, some vegetarian cookbooks etc etc - you can produce some delicious meals very cheaply without meat. Google recipes too - theres millions online. I reckon we eat vegetarian maybe 3 or 4 days in the week - I have a few vegetarian recipes that the family prefer to meat dishes any day. Its all a matter of changing your style to make non-meat dishes more flavoursome and different, coming up with some clever ideas to bulk up your meat dishes (e.g. the beans/lentils/couscous/dumplings/quinoa/vegetables/rice etc). Spices - and I dont mean hot spices (if you have children) but flavour spices (eg cumin, coriander etc) will make non-meat dishes 'sing' and make them much more interesting and well liked. Frozen sweetcorn, frozen peas, frozen beans, can be really useful and cheap. Do you make stirfry? Veggie ones, over a bowl of noodles (79c/pack) can be really economical, kids love them!

Lidl and Aldi have some fantastic prices on foods that can provide you and your family with excellent meals - someone mentioned the minced pork already - pasta/noodles/rice with a nice sauce on top is quick & cheap to make. Do your homework - compare prices, read up on new recipes, google alternatives to meat, shoot some game/rabbits (or find a young chap with a rifle and let him do the shooting on your land), experiment with new dishes and ingredients.

good luck!

Thank you v much, having read that I feel like I have been stuck in a food rut for some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A suggestion - contact your local gun club and ask if anyone could drop you in a few freshly shot rabbits. Obviously make sure they are not showing signs of mixi.
    Dress them, cook them and see how your family enjoys eating them.
    Young rabbit is simular to free range chicken but older ones are more stringy and require slower cooking.
    Maybe go down that route first before you consider investing in stock, hutches etc.
    Also if they are shot with a shotgun beware of lurking pellets when eating them :eek:

Base price wrote: »
    A suggestion - contact your local gun club and ask if anyone could drop you in a few freshly shot rabbits. Obviously make sure they are not showing signs of mixi.
    Dress them, cook them and see how your family enjoys eating them.
    Young rabbit is simular to free range chicken but older ones are more stringy and require slower cooking.
    Maybe go down that route first before you consider investing in stock, hutches etc.
    Also if they are shot with a shotgun beware of lurking pellets when eating them :eek:
    and perhaps that no poison has been laid locally.

see this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66285407

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You have a herd number? If so get pigs and get them slaughtered. No point breeding rabbits anyway, there are loads wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Thank you v much, having read that I feel like I have been stuck in a food rut for some time.

You know what, so many of us are in a 'food rut' (good term!)
    A few years ago I got so bored/sick of the monotony of meat/potato/veg meals I did a complete revamp of our way of eating/shopping/cooking.
    My sisters and a couple of friends have all changed completely too and are loving experimenting with all the new foods/recipes/resources that are available now.

My family eat very healthily and cheaply and very different/interesting foods. My daughters friends love coming to our house to eat because we have so many different/new/exotic (their word) things that they never tried. I spend much less money on food than most people I know.

Some more ideas/suggestions for you to think about:

Lidl/aldi do Feta cheese for around a euro - this is fantastic stuff - you can chop it up, mix with tin of kidney beans, onions, tub of cherry tomatos, put over a dish pasta or rice. Or, Coat in egg & breadcrumbs & fry, put over dish of pasta. High protein/calcium - a package goes a long way. Try their fresh mozzarella too, its about 50c - in Tescos a bag of pizza base you just add water to is around 50c, make it up, cover in tomato sauce (half jar), slice mozzarella, add any other toppings - healthy pizza the kids will LOVE.
    You have land - grow mangetout peas - they are like weeds even in our climate! Put in some potatos - bag of seed potatos is not too expensive - grow lettuce and scallions & eat healthy salads all summer, with your own eggs hardboiled and some potato salad. Someone I know got some left over guttering (being replaced by pvc) and filled it with compost/peat, sewed v.thinly a pkt of lettuce seed, it grew really well, if you dont want to clear ground for veg. Your kids would enjoy having a veggie garden maybe?

Hummus is great & kids like it: Tin of chickpeas (50c in tesco) - puree, add some olive oil, garlic, cumin (google recipe). Pita breads in Tesco or Lidl around 50c. Put couple of warmed pitta on plate, top with lettuce, cover with big big dollop of hummus, some raw onions for the adults, and halved hard boiled eggs on top - cheap meal, and high protein

Look in your local library for a vegetarian cookbook called PLENTY from Yokum Ottolenghi - it will convert you instantly :D

Macaroni cheese is another great cheap supper dish.

Tuna casserole (tuna, tin of condensed chicken or mushroom soup, pasta)

Check out Chorizo in Lidl - fry it, add few onions sliced - add a jar of their excellent ingredients Pasta sauce (jar is big - around 1.40 or you can get own brand pasta sauce, just be aware of ingredients for around 50c) put over a dish of pasta. CHorizo is one of my 'must have' ingredients - would make cardboard taste good!

Potato gratin is a great one. Slice thinly as many potatos as you like, slice thinly a couple big onions. Layer the potatos with the onions, and a layer of chopped up smoked salmon (this is heavenly I promise) - use the Tesco cheap off cuts pack - cover with milk, and into the oven til cooked - seriously yummy dinner and not expensive. Top with a bit of grated cheese a few mins before taking it out of the oven. If children wont eat smoked salmon, you could get a pkt of the thin sliced smoked turkey or thin sliced ham & use that instead.

Make meatballs from minced pork or turkey - both lower fat & not too expensive (or even minced beef). Fry. Add jar of pasta sauce. Put over pasta

I make a lot of roast veg meals - whatever is on sale in shop - chop up onions, bit of garlic, bag baby potatos, and then any other cheap veggies - root veggies - carrots/parsnip/butternut squash/courgette. Drizzle with oil. Stick in the oven for about 40 mins. Crumble over some Feta cheese,salt & pepper.

Check out Risotto recipes. Any veg fried in a bit of oil (add some chorizo!), add cup of rice, coat in the oil on the pan - then add a cup of stock or water. stir. then another cup of water/stock when 1st lot is soaked up - until rice is cooked. Its as simple as that & risotto is very well liked

Potato wedges - chop potato into wedges, leave peel on (nb!) put into a big bowl, add a spoon or 2 of oil to coat, sprinkle a bit of spice (cumin is great) and stir again. Into the oven for about 30 mins. You could serve with so many things, they are so yummy.

Check out Bulgher Wheat - and Cous Cous - Tesco does big bags - or you can buy in ethnic shops too - both are v quick to cook, can add herbs or interesting things to flavour them, serve on top of pitta or tortillas for a complete meal.

Anyway, can you tell Im ultra enthusiastic on the subject, so I'll stop now in case my enthusiasm is ott!

aonb wrote: »
    You know what, so many of us are in a 'food rut' (good term!)
    A few years ago I got so bored/sick of the monotony of meat/potato/veg meals I did a complete revamp of our way of eating/shopping/cooking.
    My sisters and a couple of friends have all changed completely too and are loving experimenting with all the new foods/recipes/resources that are available now.

My family eat very healthily and cheaply and very different/interesting foods. My daughters friends love coming to our house to eat because we have so many different/new/exotic (their word) things that they never tried. I spend much less money on food than most people I know.

Some more ideas/suggestions for you to think about:

Lidl/aldi do Feta cheese for around a euro - this is fantastic stuff - you can chop it up, mix with tin of kidney beans, onions, tub of cherry tomatos, put over a dish pasta or rice. Or, Coat in egg & breadcrumbs & fry, put over dish of pasta. High protein/calcium - a package goes a long way. Try their fresh mozzarella too, its about 50c - in Tescos a bag of pizza base you just add water to is around 50c, make it up, cover in tomato sauce (half jar), slice mozzarella, add any other toppings - healthy pizza the kids will LOVE.
    You have land - grow mangetout peas - they are like weeds even in our climate! Put in some potatos - bag of seed potatos is not too expensive - grow lettuce and scallions & eat healthy salads all summer, with your own eggs hardboiled and some potato salad. Someone I know got some left over guttering (being replaced by pvc) and filled it with compost/peat, sewed v.thinly a pkt of lettuce seed, it grew really well, if you dont want to clear ground for veg. Your kids would enjoy having a veggie garden maybe?

Hummus is great & kids like it: Tin of chickpeas (50c in tesco) - puree, add some olive oil, garlic, cumin (google recipe). Pita breads in Tesco or Lidl around 50c. Put couple of warmed pitta on plate, top with lettuce, cover with big big dollop of hummus, some raw onions for the adults, and halved hard boiled eggs on top - cheap meal, and high protein

Look in your local library for a vegetarian cookbook called PLENTY from Yokum Ottolenghi - it will convert you instantly :D

Macaroni cheese is another great cheap supper dish.

Tuna casserole (tuna, tin of condensed chicken or mushroom soup, pasta)

Check out Chorizo in Lidl - fry it, add few onions sliced - add a jar of their excellent ingredients Pasta sauce (jar is big - around 1.40 or you can get own brand pasta sauce, just be aware of ingredients for around 50c) put over a dish of pasta. CHorizo is one of my 'must have' ingredients - would make cardboard taste good!

Potato gratin is a great one. Slice thinly as many potatos as you like, slice thinly a couple big onions. Layer the potatos with the onions, and a layer of chopped up smoked salmon (this is heavenly I promise) - use the Tesco cheap off cuts pack - cover with milk, and into the oven til cooked - seriously yummy dinner and not expensive. Top with a bit of grated cheese a few mins before taking it out of the oven. If children wont eat smoked salmon, you could get a pkt of the thin sliced smoked turkey or thin sliced ham & use that instead.

Make meatballs from minced pork or turkey - both lower fat & not too expensive (or even minced beef). Fry. Add jar of pasta sauce. Put over pasta

I make a lot of roast veg meals - whatever is on sale in shop - chop up onions, bit of garlic, bag baby potatos, and then any other cheap veggies - root veggies - carrots/parsnip/butternut squash/courgette. Drizzle with oil. Stick in the oven for about 40 mins. Crumble over some Feta cheese,salt & pepper.

Check out Risotto recipes. Any veg fried in a bit of oil (add some chorizo!), add cup of rice, coat in the oil on the pan - then add a cup of stock or water. stir. then another cup of water/stock when 1st lot is soaked up - until rice is cooked. Its as simple as that & risotto is very well liked

Potato wedges - chop potato into wedges, leave peel on (nb!) put into a big bowl, add a spoon or 2 of oil to coat, sprinkle a bit of spice (cumin is great) and stir again. Into the oven for about 30 mins. You could serve with so many things, they are so yummy.

Check out Bulgher Wheat - and Cous Cous - Tesco does big bags - or you can buy in ethnic shops too - both are v quick to cook, can add herbs or interesting things to flavour them, serve on top of pitta or tortillas for a complete meal.

Anyway, can you tell Im ultra enthusiastic on the subject, so I'll stop now in case my enthusiasm is ott!

I am in awe of you and dreadfully ashamed of the slop I have been serving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

When I was a child we had rabbits. A rabbit was picked and cooked for dinner. I was not traumatised. Infact if kids nowadays were exposed to the food chain we may not have the problems we have with obesity etc.
    Rabbit is delish, healthy and they are easy reared... Go for it op... I would rather my own kids ate anything but supermarket cheap meat, which in most instances looks and tastes toxic

I am in awe of you and dreadfully ashamed of the slop I have been serving up.

We all have to learn from somewhere/one, be it at school, at work, books or on the internet. All the best OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

dharma200 wrote: »
    Infact if kids nowadays were exposed to the food chain we may not have the problems we have with obesity

off topic but no just no, you can't seriously think that kids not being involved in the slaughtering of animals causes obesity

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Rabbit is lovely.clean white meat.tried the bunny breeding ourselves for a while,but while it seemed a great idea,they're seemed to be a very high death rate amongst the young bunnies.two friends were doing the same at the time,and had the same problem.would reccomend turkeys.wander around the yard,,go in with the hens at night.have had birds up to 25 lb.cook and freeze.very healthy meat,and.found then much easier than rabbits.plus they all look the same,so hard for kids to pick one out and get attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭tattycat

Seems to be they don't alway breed like rabbits, we had same problem but retired the girl nd doing ok now. Got Californian's, nd Rex's for the pet shops, anything not sold gets eaten. Lovely food!!
    Home Economics should never have been cut from schools, you should learn to cook from a young age, nd convenience foods should be taxed to the max!

Advertisement