Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit poison

Options
  • 06-06-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    Got some news last week which angered and saddned me.
    I shoot bunnys in an area with a vey high population of bunnys. The bunnys are leaving bald patches of grass on the farmers fodder fields. The local gun club hunt them hard as do I with my 22 cz. I am asked onto the lands to shoot by all the farmers except one Ahole who directed me off his land and is know for letting no hunters shoot on it.
    Last week I was told he has put down poison. I saw dying rabbits in his fields that same day. I am someone who loves eating rabbit and am seriously pissed off as I can't trust that the rabbits in the surrounding field are safe to eat.
    I'm thinking of calling into him to try and find out what kind of poison he's using and to try again asking him to let me reduce his rabbit population.*
    Does he have to tell me what he's using? Should he have signs up? *Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

ssl wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I shoot bunnys in an area with a vey high population of bunnys. The bunnys are leaving bald patches of grass the farmers fodder fields. The local gun club hut them hard as do I with my 22 cz. I am asked onto the lands to shoot by all the farmers except one Ahole who directed me off his land and is know for letting no hunters shoot on it.
    Last week I was told he has put down poison. I saw dying rabbits in his fields that same day. I am someone who loves eating rabbit and am seriously pissed off as I can't trust that the rabbits in the surrounding field are not safe to eat.
    I'm thinking of calling into him to try and find out what kind of poison he's using and to try again asking him to let me reduce his rabbit population.*
    Does he have to tell me what he's using? Should he have signs up? *Any thoughts?

AFAIK, he has to have a sign up letting people know the lands are poisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

ssl wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I shoot bunnys in an area with a vey high population of bunnys. The bunnys are leaving bald patches of grass the farmers fodder fields. The local gun club hut them hard as do I with my 22 cz. I am asked onto the lands to shoot by all the farmers except one Ahole who directed me off his land and is know for letting no hunters shoot on it.
    Last week I was told he has put down poison. I saw dying rabbits in his fields that same day. I am someone who loves eating rabbit and am seriously pissed off as I can't trust that the rabbits in the surrounding field are not safe to eat.

The only thing I can say is that the guy is a shining example of a thick cnut. Does he not realise that a couple of ferrets and a bit of net will sort his problem just as quick, with no cost to himself and without a load of unnecessary suffering for the targeted animals. And there's another serious problem with this lark now as well and it's called secondary poisoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

whats the risk of secondly poisoning hear to raptors like buzzard .

maybe some of the rangers on hear can elaborate on it and the law governing the use of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

its people like him that caused the deaths of the eagles in kerry :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'd report the t*sser to your local NPWS ranger ASAP!!

PS: What county are you in M8??:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

i wouldnt blame you being pissed off ssl.......what a dick. ild say the rabbits in the surounding areas should be ok (i suppose) as if they ate any poison they should end up dieing aswell (and quickly by the sounds of what your saying). ild try talking to him again to try and shoot them or else try and get a mutual friend to act as go between

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

ya report him quickly he'll have some eagle poisoned before you know it, the use of poison is restricted, bet ya he ain't going about picking up his dead victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

i would defo report it to someone and see if it's legal to do it. Birds of prey may also get secondary poisoning, depending on the dosage used and what level of it is in their body when eaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

ya report him quickly he'll have some eagle poisoned before you know it, the use of poison is restricted, bet ya he ain't going about picking up his dead victims.

:eek: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another one :p

Will the real Tacleberry please step forward :)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

scuby wrote: »
    i would defo report it to someone and see if it's legal to do it. Birds of prey may also get secondary poisoning, depending on the dosage used and what level of it is in their body when eaten.

it doesn't matter what dosage is used,bird wont be able to tolarate any amounts of poison.the farmer will have to be told and have it explained to him the damage of his actions will cause.now i dont know the farmer or his land but i found farmers that dont allow shooters onto his land had problems with hunters in the past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Can I just point out he is well within his rights to tell you get off his land. Be carefull about aproaching him if you have a firearm,

As for the poison not my cup of tea at all

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fallow

Is this in Co. Sligo?
    Some eagles have been poisoned their already due to rabbits being poisoned.
    Please report this at once, totally against the law in areas where birds of pray ect inhabit.

John. ( Former Department OF agriculture Wildlife officer )

Advertisement