Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding rabbits for the table- your thoughts please?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

This is a great thread, my father was a keen shot and we ate lots of pigeons, rabbits etc when I was young. In France it is very usual that people raise rabbits for food or as an income and you can buy fresh rabbit in shops everywhere, even in the centre of Paris. Pigeons are bred and eaten young, just when they begin to fly.
    If I had the time and lived in the country I would breed rabbits for food, I get a lot of pleasure out of food for free, jams and jellies from the hedgerows, mushrooms if I can find them. I made puffball soup last week, it was delicious. Educationally it is great for children to become involved as well and it helps understanding of where food comes from and its value. I love the few vegetables and salad items I do grow. There is a sense of connection with the environment we live in which, added to the fact it makes economic sense, makes me feel good doing these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

SCOL wrote: »
    I used to do a bit of shotting and looking at getting back into it any rabbits I shot
    in the past I skinned and cooked for my father's dogs.

Do you need to hang rabbits for a few days ? or is it best eated fresh ?

Shey,

I leave them sitting on a plate in the fridge for 3 or 4 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Does anyone know the laws around slaughtering kept rabbits - is it legal to do it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Does anyone know the laws around slaughtering kept rabbits - is it legal to do it yourself?

I keep rabbits, kill them, butcher them, cook them, eat them.
    Ducks and chickens too.
    I've never asked anyone's permission, no idea if you are supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Once you are consuming them for yourself or your own family then there is no issue. Problem would be if you were selling the meat to the public. Same goes for chicken and turkey. Ok to home slaughter for own consumption but supposed be done in an approved factory if you are selling to the public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

aonb wrote: »
    OP, thought you might like this recipe we had for dinner tonight:

(called Shakshuka, from a vegetarian cookbook called "Plenty" Y. Ottolenghi)

I reckon it cost approx less than E5 total - to feed three very hungry adults. It was so yummy!

1 x Packet of "Cook at home" Panini from Supervalue (59c)
    1 x Packet of (3) mixed peppers Lidl (1.29)
    3 onions (a bag cost 69c at Lidl)
    1 container of Passata (sieve tomatos) (79c Lidl)
    6 eggs (free - have my own hens :D)
    4 spoons brown sugar
    Spices: cumin seeds, smoked paprika, chilli
    (I have thyme/parsley and chives growing in the garden - chop and use lots if you have anything green/herby)

Toast the cumin seeds on dry pan for 2 mins. Add oil and sliced onions. Brown. Add peppers, sliced, sugar and spices. Brown on pan. Add the passata, some salt and pepper. Check the seasoning. This should be the consistancgy of pasta sauce - add water if necessary. When everything is well softened (the longer this sits/cooks the tastier) make a well in the sauce, and break the eggs to sit on top of the mixture. Cover with a lid to cook the eggs.
    Serve 2 eggs with lots of the veg/sauce to each person accompanied by a nice hot pannini roll or any crusty white bread (the Lidl french stick 79c, is quite good ingredient-wise & tastes good) You could also boost this a bit by serving with pasta or rice.

Let me know if you try it - seriously loved it!

(For dessert - we dont have one very often - but had a bag of ready to eat Apricots - Tesco own brand - cost less than 1 euro - put in pan, covered with water, 'stew' gently til the apricots swelled up - about 10 mins - added few spoons of sugar. Leave to cool. Top with a blob of yogourt. (you could use icecream too) YUM! Cheap healthy dessert and the apricots are so sweet and tasty (high in fibre and vitamins too)

Would you mind if I robbed this for a thread in frugal living using supermarket offers?

Advertisement