Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Thanks lads, got upgraded and 4 months half price

Nice lady on the end of the phone (middle\eastern European accent)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭corkmans1

Just got the email there with 5 euro increase. I'm paying 45 for 120mb broadband and free mobile calls. How long can i wait before cancelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

corkmans1 wrote: »
    Just got the email there with 5 euro increase. I'm paying 45 for 120mb broadband and free mobile calls. How long can i wait before cancelling?

Read your email again it'll say it on the bottom of it.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Read your email again it'll say it on the bottom of it.

Thanks, just seen it there I've until 9 of march so a full month.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

I'm only with VM for broadband and phone, was on 120mg BB and phone was paying 45 per month

Called to cancel knowing I would get a deal so I got 360mg BB and phone was 40 for 6month and 50 for other 6

Was never going to leave as VM has best broadband in my area, so happy enough

Although I talked to a customer service agent and not the loyalty team for this deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Hi guys, im paying €85 (going up to €90) for 240mb , phone and Digi Max horizon tv.

Considering cancelling phone and tv and just keeping broadband as i find the Horizon box dreadfull and rarely watch tv.

Just wondering what type of offers they may try to offer if it threaten to cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭barrystealover

had broadband(120), phone and digital max. was at €80 per month, which was gona go up to €85 per month. got it for the coming year for €40 x 6months, €80 x 2months and €85 x remaining 4 months. broadband will be upgraded to 240.

i pushed for the 6 or 9 months half price. was on hold 3 different times as she kept going back putting my argument forward to some manager that i should be getting the same deal as other customers (6 or 9 months half price) but no go. this phonecall probably lasted 45 mins so pushed my case.

have 14 day cooing off period.

If anyone has got better than that for the bband,phone,max tv SINCE SATURDAY please let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

corkmans1 wrote: »

Can I ask when you say free mobile calls do you mean from a landline to mobile? Or are you getting tv and a mobile network deal? I'm wondering as I'm paying 45 a month for 120mb only so if I'm missing out on a mobile contract included in the price I've got a bit of a battle ahead when it comes to negotiation!

BrendanD wrote: »
    Another option is to buy some home plugs and use them ,better speed than wifi

what are these home plugs?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Muahahaha wrote: »
    what are these home plugs?

Just some examples - they effectively turn your electrical wiring into a long ethernet cable. AFAIK they have to be on the same circuit which is usually the case in a normal residence.

Usually you would run an ethernet cable from your router into the "first" one - place the second one in the room where you want to extend to and depending on what you buy you can then have a wifi network there or an ethernet connection.

Apparently they do not work as well if you plug them into multi socket extensions and it is best to buy the pass through type so as not to leave yourself short of electrical sockets.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can I ask when you say free mobile calls do you mean from a landline to mobile? Or are you getting tv and a mobile network deal? I'm wondering as I'm paying 45 a month for 120mb only so if I'm missing out on a mobile contract included in the price I've got a bit of a battle ahead when it comes to negotiation!

Hi, yes from a landline to a mobile. i have the 120mb broadband and i have a landline line with free calls to other landlines and mobiles. i don't have tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Following on from last Saturday's haggling with Manila, I've only managed to negotiate an extra €10 out of them this morning (couldn't get Limerick). So effectively just getting the new customer discount for the 360 meg bb and phone service. The upgrade is worth it from my perspective as I'm running a bunch of devices off a bridged set-up already, so a legit modem mode is preferable, and the upload speed bump will be useful. 12 month contract. Let's see what the fibre offerings are then.

No doubt about it however - the 9 month deals some got were pretty jammy. Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So lads, what's the best strategy when you ring them? I am currently on the 240Mb with phone package, and got the email about the €5 increase, do you just ring Customer Service and say you want to cancel due to price increase? Or do you go arguing about the €5 increase and how I've been a loyal customer, but there are better alternatives like Eir or Sky? Any advice appreciated before I ring them.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So lads, what's the best strategy when you ring them? I am currently on the 240Mb with phone package, and got the email about the €5 increase, do you just ring Customer Service and say you want to cancel due to price increase? Or do you go arguing about the €5 increase and how I've been a loyal customer, but there are better alternatives like Eir or Sky? Any advice appreciated before I ring them.

Thanks

dub45 wrote: »
    Just some examples - they effectively turn your electrical wiring into a long ethernet cable. AFAIK they have to be on the same circuit which is usually the case in a normal residence.

Usually you would run an ethernet cable from your router into the "first" one - place the second one in the room where you want to extend to and depending on what you buy you can then have a wifi network there or an ethernet connection.

Apparently they do not work as well if you plug them into multi socket extensions and it is best to buy the pass through type so as not to leave yourself short of electrical sockets.

Thanks for that, I never knew about those devices. I might get one to use for streaming to my Android box as my wifi connection doesn't seem quite up to it for sports.

Thanks

yeah I'd say definitely do your research on Sky and Eir prices. Also the loyalty team often have more scope for discounts so if you're not getting anywhere with customer service try saying you want to cancel and they should put you through to them. If anything I'd say the best strategy is to get a discount from Customer Service, reject it and then you'll get put through to loyalty who'll know you've rejected the first offer and will likely improve on it if they genuinely think you're going to cancel.

Let us know how you get on, I'm in the same boat come March 2nd so any info much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Thanks

Keeping in mind I failed miserably to get a decent discount:

Let them know you're aware of what other customers on Boards have got.
    Point out that faster fibre offerings are due in the lifetime of new contracts, so you could be tempted away if you don't get a decent deal (they're unlikely to check where eir have their 1 gig offerings now or soon).
    Be clear that you're actively considering ditching them.
    Might do no harm to whinge about their Netflix/peering quality of service.
    Even with the Jan deals from Sky gone, the Sky Q offering could be used as leverage, particularly for Horizon users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

My contract was going up €5 from €96 to €101, I'm on the max package with TV, home phone, 240mb broadband with multi-room, I got a new 12 month contract half price for the first 6 months.

Looked at getting the 6 months half price on the new 360mb package for a 12 month contract and they agreed but they wanted €60 once off connection fee for a new modem as the current modems can only handle 280mb or so I was lead to believe, either way I'm happy till contract renewal next year to stay on my current package, just lost out on the free international home phone calls.

Do your homework, I had all the offers from Vodafone, Eir and Sky in front of me and compared the different pros/cons of the other suppliers and the prices.

Eir & vodafone are offering the first 6 months at less then half price for an 18 month contract for a similar bundle to mine, vodafone also are throwing in Netflix and a multi-room for 6 months free and then multi-room is only €5 a month thereafter.

Sky are giving 1 year broadband free.

Bare in mind that the broadband at present isn't greatly reliable with other providers and that you might have a line charge also, so roll on Vodafone/ESB broadband offering.

Hope this helps others, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

My contract was going up €5 from €96 to €101, I'm on the max package with TV, home phone, 240mb broadband with multi-room, I got a new 12 month contract half price for the first 6 months.

Looked at getting the 6 months half price on the new 360mb package for a 12 month contract and they agreed but they wanted €60 once off connection fee for a new modem as the current modems can only handle 280mb or so I was lead to believe, either way I'm happy till contract renewal next year to stay on my current package, just lost out on the free international home phone calls.

Do your homework, I had all the offers from Vodafone, Eir and Sky in front of me and compared the different pros/cons of the other suppliers and the prices.

Eir & vodafone are offering the first 6 months at less then half price for an 18 month contract for a similar bundle to mine, vodafone also are throwing in Netflix and a multi-room for 6 months free and then multi-room is only €5 a month thereafter.

Sky are giving 1 year broadband free.

Bare in mind that the broadband at present isn't greatly reliable with other providers and that you might have a line charge also, so roll on Vodafone/ESB broadband offering.

Hope this helps others, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Just off the phone to the customer loyalty department (1890 940251)

I am on TV, Phone and broadband bundle which is going up by €5 to €90 per month €1,080 per year

I initially rang the 1908 number and I was offered a €15 discount for 4 months which equates to €85 per month or €1,020.00 per year as their very best offer.

I then rang the customer loyalty Dept and after a good bit of back and forth and 3 separate offers from them got the first 4 months at €45.00 the 5+6 month at €85.00 and the remainder at full price i.e. €90.00 which is a total of €74.16 per month or €890.00 for the year.

Have a piece of paper and a calculator in front of you when you call. They speak quickly and throw out discounts all over the place as you can see from the above. The easiest way to see if you are getting a deal is to calculate what you will pay over the whole year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Just off the phone to the customer loyalty department (1890 940251)

I am on TV, Phone and broadband bundle which is going up by €5 to €90 per month €1,080 per year

I initially rang the 1908 number and I was offered a €15 discount for 4 months which equates to €85 per month or €1,020.00 per year as their very best offer.

I then rang the customer loyalty Dept and after a good bit of back and forth and 3 separate offers from them got the first 4 months at €45.00 the 5+6 month at €85.00 and the remainder at full price i.e. €90.00 which is a total of €74.16 per month or €890.00 for the year.

Have a piece of paper and a calculator in front of you when you call. They speak quickly and throw out discounts all over the place as you can see from the above. The easiest way to see if you are getting a deal is to calculate what you will pay over the whole year.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Hi all best I got last week was 4 months half price. I then mailed to cancel and got a call today offering 6 months half price. They said that 9 months is defo gone. I took that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

I got offered six months half price over the phone and they sent new contract by email. It doesn't mention the half price, just 12 month contract applies, should the half price be written on the contract?

Thats very good advice as the whole '4 months at X price and 8 at Y' is designed to confuse. Best way is to know how much you are paying per year before ringing them and then calculate the per year price of their offer.

From your above figures you've gotten a discount of 12.75%, I'll be aiming for something similar when I ring them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I eventually just basically audited what TV was being watched, realised it was all FTA channels on Freesat and dumped the TV. 95.99 to 50 for the whole 12 months :D

Total equipment cost is a bit high if you've not got the stuff but I used to do the odd installation nixer so my boxes of junk turned up a Freesat HDR in need of a new disk (60 quid repair), some SD boxes, a quad LNB and a TV aerial with all TVs having Saorview; so I need about 120 in total spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

Last price increase iirc someone posted the loyalty teams direct phone number. Is this available? Would like to cut through bs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

I have broadband, phone, horizon and second box upstairs. I paid 95 per month
    Rang today, said I was on maternity leave and couldn't afford it anymore , that I was switching to eir.
    Got upgraded to 360mb and paying 50per month for 6 months then back to 95.
    Pretty happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

ronano wrote: »
    Last price increase iirc someone posted the loyalty teams direct phone number. Is this available? Would like to cut through bs

I got through direct (and a 6 month half price deal) using this last week: 061 272 190 - exact same number used last year for the same discounted deal. It's re-routed to their new call centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

javagal wrote: »
    Rang today, said I was on maternity leave
    Got upgraded to 360mb and paying 50per month for 6 months then back to 95.

Double congrats ;)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

L1011 wrote: »
    I eventually just basically audited what TV was being watched, realised it was all FTA channels on Freesat and dumped the TV. 95.99 to 50 for the whole 12 months :D

Total equipment cost is a bit high if you've not got the stuff but I used to do the odd installation nixer so my boxes of junk turned up a Freesat HDR in need of a new disk (60 quid repair), some SD boxes, a quad LNB and a TV aerial with all TVs having Saorview; so I need about 120 in total spend.

Did the same myself last year - eventually dumped tv and just have 120mb bb and anytime world phone. Have sat and saorview, so plenty of free channels to watch.
    Go to the pub for rugby matches or use alternate means...

Only problem now this year is I think €50 is still too much for bb an phone:( Have not received my increase email but I'm sure I will.
    Currently looking at landline options

Advertisement