Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

F***

I rang said i wanted to cancel due to the price change

No budge. Said to email them to cancel. No offer of discount or anything. Balls

Go ahead and cancel. I had this yesterday morning and by lunch time I had a call offering 6 months half price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

dan185 wrote: »
    Go ahead and cancel. I had this yesterday morning and by lunch time I had a call offering 6 months half price

Did you send the cancellation email?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Wynnie12

Just a word of warning.

I got the deal of 9 months half price, 3 months full price. Got my latest bill today with no discount on it. Rang them and they said it hadn't been activated. Luckily they had record from previous call confirming deal.

Activated the upgrade and I received new contract. No mention of half price discount so I have a feeling another call will be required.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I had murder with them on the phone yesterday also, on 3rd of Feb I took an offer of 6mobths half price on old price of €45 for 240mb BB and international calls, and then 6 months of new price of €50. I kept trying for 9 months but gave up after 5 calls, kept been told that no one on only 2 products were entitled to 9 month half price deal, I know, plenty on here said they got it, well I didn't. Anyway my bill came in yesterday and it was €55, never has by bill gone over the €45 bar maybe one or two 0818 or 1850 numbers.

Anyway, they were claiming that I cancelled my old package and took out a new deal, I was adamant that I asked to cancel on numerous occasions and each time I was told I'd have to put my request in writing and give 30 days notice. I never did do this. I asked to see my cancellation letter obviously. I explained that I was offered a 6 month half price deal on current price and I specifically asked was this on my current plan, which I was assured it was, except id be signing up to a new 12 month contract.

They billed me for bb package on its own a phone service and a phone plan for 3 days to bring me to the end of my current billing cycle, then they charged me a fee of €66 recurring charge which allegedly is only on the first bill for the 240mb BB plan, that plan was never ever €66 btw, and then at the end of all that they applied a 50% loyalty discount.

Over an hour I spent on the phone to them, they were adamant it was correct, I told them to stick their deals and told them I was off, again I got told I'd have to put it in writing. Anyway, after demanding to speak to someone higher up the chain who again confirmed that my bill was right, he explained to me that my 6 months HP offer wouldn't kick in till next month and confirmed it would run for 6 months from then. But I asked him how come I was applied a 50% loyalty offer on this current bill, he couldn't answer this. In the end he agreed to apply a credit to my account for next months bill to compensate me for the hassles that I had with this bill. The amount of credit equaled the amount I reckoned I was over charged by, €30. Why the hell couldn't they just admit that someone fcuked up with the bill. Anyway, be warned lads, examine your next bill after your loyalty offers have been applied.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I upgraded from phone and 120Mb broadband- to the 360Mb package.
    It was still testing @ 120/12 on speedtest, and on my package profile on their website. The Philippine team insisted on my troubleshooting with the IT team @ 1.20 a minute for 15 minutes- before the IT girl agreed with me that they never put the upgrade through (despite sending me the brand new Virgin Media Hub etc). I didn't have time to ring customer services to eat someone- school run to do- does anyone have a good number to ring for complaints- I was onto 1908 for over an hour- by my reckoning for just over 35 on hold between various people yesterday- and I'll have a 20 quid bill for their 'technical support' too.

Once I said I did the install myself- the Philippine team automatically assume that you've bolloxed it up- and thats it- your only option is to talk to the IT team. The girl on the IT team had a laugh about it- however, thats not helpful. I trained some of their damn IT team from back in my days as an IT trainer- I was doing their jobs 20 years ago.........

Anyone have a phone number where I can get through to someone Irish- the Philippine team now say they don't understand my accent because I said I wanted to complain (I don't have an accent- I lived abroad for years as a kid- I've as neutral an accent as any Irish person you've ever met).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

I upgraded from phone and 120Mb broadband- to the 360Mb package.
    It was still testing @ 120/12 on speedtest, and on my package profile on their website. The Philippine team insisted on my troubleshooting with the IT team @ 1.20 a minute for 15 minutes- before the IT girl agreed with me that they never put the upgrade through (despite sending me the brand new Virgin Media Hub etc). I didn't have time to ring customer services to eat someone- school run to do- does anyone have a good number to ring for complaints- I was onto 1908 for over an hour- by my reckoning for just over 35 on hold between various people yesterday- and I'll have a 20 quid bill for their 'technical support' too.

Once I said I did the install myself- the Philippine team automatically assume that you've bolloxed it up- and thats it- your only option is to talk to the IT team. The girl on the IT team had a laugh about it- however, thats not helpful. I trained some of their damn IT team from back in my days as an IT trainer- I was doing their jobs 20 years ago.........

Anyone have a phone number where I can get through to someone Irish- the Philippine team now say they don't understand my accent because I said I wanted to complain (I don't have an accent- I lived abroad for years as a kid- I've as neutral an accent as any Irish person you've ever met).

Go on twitter they will give you a chat link to a more senior staff memeber much easier no holding and costs nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Is there any reason why they have you on hold and each call is taking over an hour. Is it simply a delay tactic to discourage you from ringing. Surely there's no justification in leaving you on hold for 20mins each time they need to take to a supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

Did you send the cancellation email?

Yeah. Then a couple hours later received the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 FTT2004

Go on twitter they will give you a chat link to a more senior staff memeber much easier no holding and costs nothing.

They give you a chat link that (1) is not mobile optimised (iOS 8.4 on iPhone 5s) (2) can only recommend bundles for you. They can't trouble shoot or offer you a deal as they aren't customer loyalty department.
    I've wasted two calls (45-50min each) and still not resolved. Twitter gets you some bit of a response and after multiple DMs I am awaiting a call back!

I think the cancellation email is my only option!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

got the email today with €5 increase. I'm cancelling for this and the Netflix debacle which they refuse to address

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

FTT2004 wrote: »
    They give you a chat link that (1) is not mobile optimised (iOS 8.4 on iPhone 5s) (2) can only recommend bundles for you. They can't trouble shoot or offer you a deal as they aren't customer loyalty department.
    I've wasted two calls (45-50min each) and still not resolved. Twitter gets you some bit of a response and after multiple DMs I am awaiting a call back!

I think the cancellation email is my only option!!

I used the chat link and got 6 moths off spoke to 'Saida'

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

The best way to approach this I found (eventually) in order to avoid the frustration of online chat, waiting on hour long calls getting nowhere etc is if you are out of contract or received the price increase email so you can cancel contract, send VM your cancellation email. The loyalty team will ring you within a few days with their "best offer", feel free to haggle, I didn't as they offered me 6 months half price straight away. You are not chasing them but they will contact you as they do not want you to cancel.

I was on €45pm 240MB BB/phone deal so €540 pa locked in for another year. Received the €5 increase email. Went through calls, chats, etc getting nowhere. Sent in my cancellation email. A few days later loyalty rang.

I now have upgraded to €60pm 360MB BB/phone deal. Half price for 6 months, full price for 6 months, 12 month contract. That is €540 pa.

I am paying the exact same as I was before for the next year, no increase in price but an increase in package to higher speed BB and better phone package.

Call took no more than 10 minutes.

To add, new router being sent out which is needed for 360MB with any fees waived relating to the upgrade.

BTW, I didn't need to upgrade. The offered half price 6mths on my existing package. So e25 for 6 mths, 50 for 6mths, 450pa. So if I stayed on current package my pa fee was reducing by 90.

It's comical, they sent out e5 increases and you end up paying less or improving your package at no extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

BLUEYK wrote: »
    The best way to approach this I found (eventually) in order to avoid the frustration of online chat, waiting on hour long calls getting nowhere etc is if you are out of contract or received the price increase email so you can cancel contract, send VM your cancellation email. The loyalty team will ring you within a few days with their "best offer", feel free to haggle, I didn't as they offered me 6 months half price straight away. You are not chasing them but they will contact you as they do not want you to cancel.

I was on €45pm 240MB BB/phone deal so €540 pa locked in for another year. Received the €5 increase email. Went through calls, chats, etc getting nowhere. Sent in my cancellation email. A few days later loyalty rang.

I now have upgraded to €60pm 360MB BB/phone deal. Half price for 6 months, full price for 6 months, 12 month contract. That is €540 pa.

I am paying the exact same as I was before for the next year, no increase in price but an increase in package to higher speed BB and better phone package.

Call took no more than 10 minutes.

What is the cancellation email address out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭mirec

What is the cancellation email address out of curiosity?

cancel@virginmedia.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭baldbear

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You've gotta play the game to get the best results, just asking for discounts doesn't work. The calls are monitored, so they have to go through a process before you can get super extra bonus level 4 discounts :)

So I contacted them again via chat & was told that was the best deal they could offer me. Unloyalty team!

Anyone else on basic TV & broadband care to share what price they are on? Mine is €63 at the momwnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Managed get 9 months half price offer 2 weeks ago which delighted with. However paying €22 for setanta which has increased by €1 and not getting much use of it. If I cancel now will I be exempt from €10 downgrade fee which I would face next month otherwise. Do I also need to give 30 day notice on sports packages or is it only for full package

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Duplicate post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

My 6 month half price discount kicked in with the current bill (Feb). I noticed that a change of €10 was applied for "Downgrade administration fee", which isn't right.

I actually moved from old bundle to new €85 bundle with half price 6 month and full price 6 month on a new contract.

Was on to them on the chat, not much issue there. I pointed out the change and she confirmed that there's no downgrade of any service in the account.

I will still have to pay the charge on the current bill since that cannot be changed. She applied the €10 credit on my next bill.

Check you first couple of bills carefully guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

This sounds like a plan to me :). However, is there a possibility that they will just take the cancellation email at face value and just cut me off altogether without getting in touch with me at all? I would hate to be left high and dry with no TV or broadband.

This sounds like a plan to me :). However, is there a possibility that they will just take the cancellation email at face value and just cut me off altogether without getting in touch with me at all? I would hate to be left high and dry with no TV or broadband.

If they do cancel and you want to stay with VM just sign back up with them. They don't stop you rejoining. You may even get new customer offers if you are clever with them. If other providers are an option check out there new customer offers. In any age you will be no worse off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

If they do cancel and you want to stay with VM just sign back up with them. They don't stop you rejoining. You may even get new customer offers if you are clever with them. If other providers are an option check out there new customer offers. In any age you will be no worse off.

Had that actually worked?

I remember speaking to someone last year who told me that after a full cancellation there was a short time period where you couldn't sign back up. This of course could just be bollix.

I'm going to try the email approach.

In case they upgrade me to 240mbit will that still work with the Cisco EPC3925? I don't want to move to something I can't bridge if they send me out something else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In case they upgrade me to 240mbit will that still work with the Cisco EPC3925? I don't want to move to something I can't bridge if they send me out something else.

Anything over about 180 mbps is pushing it with the Cisco EPC3925- however, how likely are you to get over this on a 240Mb connection? I'm hitting 200Mb on a 360 connection here this evening- with a sustained upload of 55-60Mb

If you go to the 360Mb package- you automatically get the Virgin Media Hub- which you can bridge- in modem mode- however, you'll have to assign a different value to the bridging device- specifically changing its default addressing value to something other than 192.168.0.1- which both the Virgin media hub and netgear products seem to insist on (I think the Virgin Media hub is a Comol product).

Just stick it into dedicated modem mode- is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Just got the email about the price hike. 50 a month bit steep. Might try for a cancellation deal, are people using email having much success?

Had that actually worked?

I remember speaking to someone last year who told me that after a full cancellation there was a short time period where you couldn't sign back up. This of course could just be bollix.

I'm going to try the email approach.

There should be no problem signing back up straight away if needed, why would they refuse business? What they may have meant is you have to be gone 3mths before they treat you as a new customer and thus get the new customer offers.

I would be shocked if anyone sends the cancellation email and loyalty don't ring at least once.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anything over about 180 mbps is pushing it with the Cisco EPC3925- however, how likely are you to get over this on a 240Mb connection? I'm hitting 200Mb on a 360 connection here this evening- with a sustained upload of 55-60Mb

If nearly everyone else on your node is an old codger and you are likely the only person with UPC (especially as my mate down the road actually did flip out over the price increase and got Eircom in), you get it. I've got 238 on a wire.

103 on wifi currently. Horizon box, but getting the Compal shortly as TV is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Sorry lads, what's the virgin media hub/compal thing? I've a horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Is is just me or I cant see any proper information on their website how much their services costs? Just nonsense like "€30 a month for 4 months"? I always thought we have regulations that require companies to have at least at the bottom of the page information about full costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

got this the day after sending email.

We are contacting you regarding the collection of equipment that has recently been cancelled on your account.

Virgin Media Account Number

Address

????

We are available for collections from 9AM to 6PM Wednesday, Friday & Saturday, and from 12PM to 8PM Monday, Tuesday & Thursday

Please respond to this email with a collection date and preferred time for us to collect this equipment from you. Alternatively you can call us on 01-4405310, from 9 AM to 8 PM Monday to Friday and 9AM to 6 PM Saturdays, to arrange collection.

Our office hours are: Monday to Thursday 9AM to 8PM, Friday & Saturday 10 AM to 6 PM

If you have moved home or would like us to collect the equipment from another address (work address, neighbour or family member) please advise us of the address and provide us with a contact name and number that we can contact when we are on route.

Thank you for your custom and we hope that in the future you might consider our service again.

Yours faithfully

Virgin Media Equipment Collections Department

Are loyalty open tomorrow/Saturdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

We are contacting you regarding the collection of equipment that has recently been cancelled on your account.

Address

????

We are available for collections from 9AM to 6PM Wednesday, Friday & Saturday, and from 12PM to 8PM Monday, Tuesday & Thursday

Please respond to this email with a collection date and preferred time for us to collect this equipment from you. Alternatively you can call us on 01-4405310, from 9 AM to 8 PM Monday to Friday and 9AM to 6 PM Saturdays, to arrange collection.

Our office hours are: Monday to Thursday 9AM to 8PM, Friday & Saturday 10 AM to 6 PM

If you have moved home or would like us to collect the equipment from another address (work address, neighbour or family member) please advise us of the address and provide us with a contact name and number that we can contact when we are on route.

Thank you for your custom and we hope that in the future you might consider our service again.

Yours faithfully

Few reports of this. I think they are being sent out in error. Equipment collection is outsourced to Actavo.

• Advertisement

Address

????

Yours faithfully

Did you first get an auto reply email from resolution team? Are your services still active? Can't see how they are entitled to the equipment until services are switched off as you are paying till then.

AFAIK loyalty is open on sat if your unsure. My own case, Sent email, got auto reply from resolution team, two days later loyalty called.

Advertisement