Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ExcaliburRisen

I received the price increase email a few days ago. Currently have Broadband (120Mb) and Phone (Anywhere 300) and paying €51. The price is going up by €4
    Rang them yesterday and spoke with Customer Service who after I said I wanted to cancel put me straight through to the Loyalty team. I think the guy's name was Leo.
    Anyway after saying I wanted to cancel Leo went away for a bit and came back with the following offer:
    Upgrade from 120Mb to 240Mb with Anytime Unlimited at the following rates on a 12 month contract:
    First 4 months - €25
    Next 2 months - €45
    Last 6 months - €50

I asked if 6 months was possible at the €25 but he said the above was the best he could do. I decided to accept the offer but after I hung up I decided to check online what the Anytime World included. Unfortunately it does not include any calls to mobiles which I had with the Anywhere 300.
    So I rang back. Spoke to a different person in Loyalty team (don't recall the name) and explained that I needed to have calls to mobiles. Unfortunately the only option for that is Mobile World which only comes with the 360Mb broadband.
    If I choose the 360Mb with Mobile World they'll give this deal:
    4 months 35
    2 months 55
    6 months 60

Or I could stay with my existing subscription (120Mb with Anywhere 300) at the following rates:
    4 months 27.5
    8 months 55

I still have a few days to decide. Decisions, decisions :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only problem now this year is I think €50 is still too much for bb an phone:( Have not received my increase email but I'm sure I will.
    Currently looking at landline options

You'll be able to get 240 for €50 and you might be able to get 4 or 6 months of this half price. The nearest equivalent Eir package (which is vastly, vastly slower - often 1/3rd of the speed) is €62 after offer goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭loup

I also rang and was offered the half price offer for 4 months which I took along with upgrade to 240Mb/s. However on testing the connection have discovered there is no increase in speed at all. I assume this is because my laptop along with most others on the market only has a 10/100 network card in it and therefore is incapable of increasing the speed further. Unless you are connecting directly with Cat5e or Cat6 cable the 'doubling' in broadband wont really materialise. Something to consider!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭doohey

Just off the phone to Virgin Media - getting 9 months for half price & then full price of €80 for the last three months of my contract :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

doohey wrote: »
    Just off the phone to Virgin Media - getting 9 months for half price & then full price of €80 for the last three months of my contract :)

How did you get that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

I know some providers are now stating that your TV package may impact on your broadband speed.

We have 240Mb VM broadband and Horizon TV Max at the moment and we get no more than 50Mb d/l speeds on wireless and wired.

That's no incentive to "upgrade" to 360Mb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

I know some providers are now stating that your TV package may impact on your broadband speed.

We have 240Mb VM broadband and Horizon TV Max at the moment and we get no more than 50Mb d/l speeds on wireless and wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did the same myself last year - eventually dumped tv and just have 120mb bb and anytime world phone. Have sat and saorview, so plenty of free channels to watch.
    Go to the pub for rugby matches or use alternate means...

Only problem now this year is I think €50 is still too much for bb an phone:( Have not received my increase email but I'm sure I will.
    Currently looking at landline options

I'm in the same boat as yourself- I dropped tv last year with UPC and switched to Sky as there was a great deal on. So now all I get from VM is 120BB only, I guess it probably includes some phone calls but I've no use for that. Like yourself I find €50 a month a bit too pricey for BB alone but when I look around the 'competition' it doesn't seem to be much better. Vodafone have BB for €40 a month but my worry is it comes down a telephone line so wont be as fast as Virgins BB. The same goes for Eir and Sky who deliver BB by the telephone line. So I'm kinda stuck with Virgin which means I'll have to negotiate a better deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭dodzy

fdevine wrote: »

That's horsecrap.

And you should be definitely getting better than 50mb DL wired. Depending on your PC/laptop cards, you should be getting up to the full 240mb wired, but 50 is way off the mark.

Wireless is a different story, but again, with a decent spec modern PC/laptop, you should be well over 50mb DL over wireless.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Vodafone have BB for €40 a month but my worry is it comes down a telephone line so wont be as fast as Virgins BB. The same goes for Eir and Sky who deliver BB by the telephone line.
    I arranged VF BB for my fathers place in Finglas. Customer support reckoned he'd get 'up to 100mb', which I knew was rubbish, but 40€ per mth for the nephew on his PS4, was never going to need close to that. Box delivered. I plugged it in. 5 mins later all lights were solid. Speedtested on the iphone from upstairs, opposite corner of house. 80mb DL. I was bloody amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

dodzy wrote: »
    I arranged VF BB for my fathers place in Finglas. Customer support reckoned he'd get 'up to 100mb', which I knew was rubbish, but 40€ per mth for the nephew on his PS4, was never going to need close to that. Box delivered. I plugged it in. 5 mins later all lights were solid. Speedtested on the iphone from upstairs, opposite corner of house. 80mb DL. I was bloody amazed.

That's what I would expect - its based on distance from fibre cabinet.
    I'm less than 100m from the cabinet and I would expect to be getting 90M - vodafone confirmed that to me already.
    Main issue for people switching is whether they have/had an active phone line before, and if they did, how good/bad it was.
    Most houses would probably get by with a 50mb connection as long as it was consistant - remember quality not quantity, who really needs 360mb!
    Friend of mine who is an active gamer, runs on a lowly 24mb landline connection but has a consistant ping to the servers he needs, so is a happy man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just got the €5 increase email, I'm on Horizon TV, Mobile phones and 120mb for €25/month until June so doubt I can get a better deal than the new price of €30/month

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Phone tv and internet , free mobile and landlines all for 45e for 9 months , increasing the wifi speed too . 90e after the 9 months , delighted with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭chases0102

Third time ringing today. Previous two times had been talking to Manilla, and had essentially been playing hardball for the 9 month discount, with no result, and I believe the 9 month discount is now off the table.

Today was talking to a nice fella from Limerick - he offered 6 months half price, 6 months full. It's just broadband we have.

So 6 x €25, 6 x €50 for 240 mb Broadband.

Asked for the evening to consider. Is this the best I could do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Is it true that you will only get offered a discount if you're upgrading your package, or is anyone getting discounts for just renewing their contracts. We have 240mb internet + phone and contract is up in about 2 weeks. We want to continue with the same but the first time I rang I was not only offered no discount at all but also told I'd have to pay a 60e 'reconnection' charge?! I said absolutely no way (we're already connected and I'd never heard of that before??). Spoke to one of the reps on here (Talk to forum) who told us the discounts only apply if you were upgrading to e.g. a TV + internet package or whatever.

Anyone got any tips? I've been reading posts on here thinking I could get at least a small discount (would be well happy with 3 months half price) but now I'm doubting I'll get anything. Is everyone here upgrading, or did anyone get a discount for just renewing the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

been on live chat for the last 30 minutes they're useless.

anyone ever get anywhere with them. it's like swimming through treacle with your arms and legs chopped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Konata wrote: »
    Is it true that you will only get offered a discount if you're upgrading your package, or is anyone getting discounts for just renewing their contracts. We have 240mb internet + phone and contract is up in about 2 weeks. We want to continue with the same but the first time I rang I was not only offered no discount at all but also told I'd have to pay a 60e 'reconnection' charge?! I said absolutely no way (we're already connected and I'd never heard of that before??). Spoke to one of the reps on here (Talk to forum) who told us the discounts only apply if you were upgrading to e.g. a TV + internet package or whatever.

Anyone got any tips? I've been reading posts on here thinking I could get at least a small discount (would be well happy with 3 months half price) but now I'm doubting I'll get anything. Is everyone here upgrading, or did anyone get a discount for just renewing the contract?

You can definitely get deals just for renewing, and it shouldn't be too much hassle.

I am on the same package as you and got the email saying the price was increasing to €60. Just ring 061 272190 (loyalty dept) and say that you wish to cancel your contract and leave as you are entitled to with the change in contract.

They will likely offer you 4 months at 50% off to sign a new 12 month contract. Say that isn't good enough and you should get 6 months at 50% hopefully, that's probably as best as you can do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

slave1 wrote:
    Just got the €5 increase email, I'm on Horizon TV, Mobile phones and 120mb for €25/month until June so doubt I can get a better deal than the new price of €30/month

same here...wait till july...and we are not going to get price increase ;) !! Bill will stay at 25

• Registered Users Posts: 65,062 ✭✭✭✭unkel

fdevine wrote: »

All the other people in your house were probably watching netflix on their phones / tablets / laptops while you were testing that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

061 number doesn't work anymore - recorded message telling you to call 1908

anyway 6 months half price, probably could have pushed for more but I'm ultimately happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Got my first discounted bill yesterday....Happy days anyway for next 9months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭doohey

athtrasna wrote: »
    How did you get that?

I rang direct to the customer loyalty department & said I was considering moving to Eir who are offering a deal of €25 for 6 months & then €77 per month. Was originally offered 6 months half price but said I wasn't happy with that & we settled on 9 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭baldbear

So here's my phone call. Price is going up €5 & I'm shopping around before I cancel.

I'm on 120mb & basic TV & phone . So it's basic everything I'm on. Paying €63 at the moment.

I got offered €5 off for the first 6 months & that was the best offer. Laughable experience. I asked does the price rise & €5 reduction just even each other out.

Customer loyalty? My backside. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

I'm paying €85 (going up to €90) for 240mb , phone and Digi Max horizon tv.

I spoke to somebody in the Loyalty department (in the Philippines)

Was initially offered €70 for 6 months (€420 total), which I declined.

They then offered me:

€40 for 4 months
    €80 for 2 months
    (€320 total)

which I accepted as it averages out at €53.33/mth for 6 months

Good result I think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

Hey there,

has anyone yet to receive the price increase email?

My bill is the 14th with dd coming out the 28th. Two years ago i never got a price increase email and they upped it. I have gotten emails since then and last one was about mobile offers in Jan alright so just didn't want it happening again.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

foxy_j wrote: »
    Hey there,

My bill is the 14th with dd coming out the 28th. Two years ago i never got a price increase email and they upped it. I have gotten emails since then and last one was about mobile offers in Jan alright so just didn't want it happening again.

thanks

Check your spam. They went out months ago and price increase isnt till march aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

foxy_j wrote: »
    Hey there,

thanks
    Only received mine yesterday - BB and phone user only

• Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

baldbear wrote: »
    So here's my phone call. Price is going up €5 & I'm shopping around before I cancel.

I'm on 120mb & basic TV & phone . So it's basic everything I'm on. Paying €63 at the moment.

I got offered €5 off for the first 6 months & that was the best offer. Laughable experience. I asked does the price rise & €5 reduction just even each other out.

Customer loyalty? My backside. What a joke.

You've gotta play the game to get the best results, just asking for discounts doesn't work. The calls are monitored, so they have to go through a process before you can get super extra bonus level 4 discounts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭NellyMcD

I'm on 120 meg broadband and local and national landline calls for free. It was €40 going up to €45 with the price increase in March. On my 3rd call (using both 1890940251 and 1908) I got the same broadband and phone spec for €22.50 for 6 months then €45 for the remaining 6 months of a 12 month contract. Total €405 a year. Happy enough.

As someone previously advised, have paper, pen and a calculator at hand. Work it out over the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭NellyMcD

I'm on 120 meg broadband and local and national landline calls for free. It was €40 going up to €45 with the price increase in March. On my 3rd call (using both 1890940251 and 1908) I got the same broadband and phone spec for €22.50 for 6 months then €45 for the remaining 6 months of a 12 month contract. Total €405 a year. Happy enough.

As someone previously advised, have paper, pen and a calculator at hand. Work it out over the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

NellyMcD wrote: »

F***

I rang said i wanted to cancel due to the price change

No budge. Said to email them to cancel. No offer of discount or anything. Balls

Advertisement