Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

jamescd wrote: »
    Have I not been upgraded yet or is it the ethernet chip on my motherboard that is causing the issue?

What modem? Speedtest server can be quite slow try the virgin media link:
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/learn-about-broadband/broadband-speed-test/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I've been on an €85 deal since last Feb with Setanta for around €20 extra. I called them yesterday and was transferred to the loyalty team when I mentioned my contract was up. I got a woman in Manilla who asked me why I wanted to cancel my contract - straight-up, without me even mentioning it. I told her I'd be interested in a new contract if I could get the improved broadband but was considering other providers etc.

She offered the new broadband with 4 months half price. I asked if I could get a longer discount period if I switched my phone over, and she eventually gave me 6 months half price, 2 months free Setanta and a 12 month contract, along with the 4 months free phone. Pretty happy with that!

I've been on an €85 deal since last Feb with Setanta for around €20 extra. I called them yesterday and was transferred to the loyalty team when I mentioned my contract was up. I got a woman in Manilla who asked me why I wanted to cancel my contract - straight-up, without me even mentioning it. I told her I'd be interested in a new contract if I could get the improved broadband but was considering other providers etc.

She offered the new broadband with 4 months half price. I asked if I could get a longer discount period if I switched my phone over, and she eventually gave me 6 months half price, 2 months free Setanta and a 12 month contract, along with the 4 months free phone. Pretty happy with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tglynn

I'm with broadband and phone for €45 a month going to €50. Rang there and they gave me 6 months at half price (€45) and the last 6 months at €50. Happy enough.

Offers can only be gotten on your current package seemingly as i checked about adding TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tglynn

I'm with broadband and phone for €45 a month going to €50. Rang there and they gave me 6 months at half price (€45) and the last 6 months at €50. Happy enough.

Offers can only be gotten on your current package seemingly as i checked about adding TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Got 6 months half price on my broadband after 2 calls and threatening to leave. They had initially offered only 6 months of €5 off which i said was ridiculous and kept mentioning Sky's €35 for 12 months offer to them.

Probably could have pushed a little more but happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Got 6 months half price on my broadband after 2 calls and threatening to leave. They had initially offered only 6 months of €5 off which i said was ridiculous and kept mentioning Sky's €35 for 12 months offer to them.

Probably could have pushed a little more but happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Sorry to come in here without putting in the effort of reading through, but have UPC\Virgin upped their prices again?

I've had them for broadband for almost a year now on a 18 month contract.

Can I threaten to cancel mid contract? I got no word on an increase

• Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭dodzy

Nalz wrote: »
    Sorry to come in here without putting in the effort of reading through, but have UPC\Virgin upped their prices again?

I've had them for broadband for almost a year now on a 18 month contract.

Can I threaten to cancel mid contract? I got no word on an increase
    Yes and yes.

Or you can do as many others have done and hassle them for a discount. Should be a straightforward process.

Cust loyalty: 061-1272190

(I'm actually onto them at this minute on hold, for a work colleague. Will post back) ;)

dodzy wrote: »
    (I'm actually onto them at this minute on hold, for a work colleague. Will post back) ;)

You're putting a whole new meaning on friends with benefits :D

• Advertisement

How long has it taken people to get an email confirming new account details? I called them last night and have heard nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

Did anyone get any discount offer via the live chat team on the website?

Tried a rep on there earlier and there was absolutely no deals going whatsoever, the best they could offer was to downgrade my package to the limited broadband package where there's a 30Gb cap for €45 pm. I politely declined!

Morby wrote: »
    Did anyone get any discount offer via the live chat team on the website?

Tried a rep on there earlier and there was absolutely no deals going whatsoever, the best they could offer was to downgrade my package to the limited broadband package where there's a 30Gb cap for €45 pm. I politely declined!
    Right, following on from my post 4 up, got onto Loyalty in Manilla. Offered something ridiculous. Eventually got an upgrade from 100 to 240mb, TV pack upgrade, phone - same. She offered me 4 mths at half price. Pushed for 6. Offered me 4 again with a FIVER off for the next 2 mths after the 4 are up. Told her no. Rang back and got through to a sound lad in Limerick loyalty. 6 mths 1/2 price with the upgrades mentioned above. That'll do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nalz wrote: »
    have UPC\Virgin upped their prices again?

Yes. Isn't it great?

Every time they do that, instead of getting an extra fiver off me a month, I get several hundred discount from them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Sappy404 wrote: »
    How long has it taken people to get an email confirming new account details? I called them last night and have heard nothing.

Just get onto chat

https://www.virginmedia.ie/customer-support/

Scroll down to the bottom. If it's not available right now, then wait a bit and reload the page.

Ask them to specify what bundle you're on, how much you're paying monthly, how long the contract is, etc. Then at the end, click the option to send the transcript to your e-mail so you'll have a record of it.

• Site Banned Posts: 149 ✭✭Iceman29

I'm out of contract now with Virgin/UPC and rang them up to cancel completely only to be told that i still have to give them 30 days notice..... surely that couldnt be right if im already out of contract is it???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Got my new horizon box yesterday. Physically installing it was straight forward enough. Only issue I had was getting the remote to synch. Worked through all the steps and was having noc luck. Checked to sure the that none of the plastic from the orange pull tab was stuck between battery terminal. Negative it had all come out.

After reading through the manual, I realised that the new box didn't need a smart card.
    Removed the card, repeated all the steps no joy.

Switched off the box and got to the language screen again, went through everything again and no joy.

I was about to give up, and ring customer support, when I took a wild shot, and swapped out the batteries in my old controller. Result, remote automatically locked with horizon box.

I checked later that evening to see if it was a fluke. Put in the old batteries and got nothing, no response between remote and box. Put back in the batteries from the old remote and it worked again straight away.

A bit unexpected but got there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Got my new horizon box yesterday. Physically installing it was straight forward enough. Only issue I had was getting the remote to synch. Worked through all the steps and was having noc luck. Checked to sure the that none of the plastic from the orange pull tab was stuck between battery terminal. Negative it had all come out.

After reading through the manual, I realised that the new box didn't need a smart card.
    Removed the card, repeated all the steps no joy.

Switched off the box and got to the language screen again, went through everything again and no joy.

I was about to give up, and ring customer support, when I took a wild shot, and swapped out the batteries in my old controller. Result, remote automatically locked with horizon box.

I checked later that evening to see if it was a fluke. Put in the old batteries and got nothing, no response between remote and box. Put back in the batteries from the old remote and it worked again straight away.

A bit unexpected but got there in the end.

Iceman29 wrote: »
    I'm out of contract now with Virgin/UPC and rang them up to cancel completely only to be told that i still have to give them 30 days notice..... surely that couldnt be right if im already out of contract is it???

Your minimum term is up but you still have a service contract with them until you cancel it and the terms state 30 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Tried the customer chat box on their website, the best they would offer was a fiver off if I dropped 50 channels on my TV pack.
    No way. Will try ringing 1908 next and saying I am off to sky.
    Anyone got any advice on what to say to push them? Apart from saying Sky are 49pm.
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Happy days, rang customer service they offered to drop my package. Told them no to put me onto the Loyalty team and asked for an Irish member of the team. Took about 10 mins on hold but got through and got a 5 euro reduction and also 6 months half price.
    Tried hard to get the 9 months but they were not budging at all.
    Its a new 12 month contract.
    Spread the word and thanks boardsies!

Happy days, rang customer service they offered to drop my package. Told them no to put me onto the Loyalty team and asked for an Irish member of the team. Took about 10 mins on hold but got through and got a 5 euro reduction and also 6 months half price.
    Tried hard to get the 9 months but they were not budging at all.
    Its a new 12 month contract.
    Spread the word and thanks boardsies!

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Tried the customer chat box on their website, the best they would offer was a fiver off if I dropped 50 channels on my TV pack.
    No way. Will try ringing 1908 next and saying I am off to sky.
    Anyone got any advice on what to say to push them? Apart from saying Sky are 49pm.
    Cheers

Yeah, forget 1908. Won't get you anywhere. You need to ring customer loyalty, (061) 272 190. If you get through to the non-Irish agents (Manila) just hang up and retry till you get Limerick. You'll have a better chance dealing with an Irish lad. Ask what can they do for you as a loyal customer. You should get at least 6mths at half price. I would be advising that you push for this as a minimum plus a BB upgrade to 240 if you are in a lower tier pack at present and by all means refer them to this thread. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I didn't get any price increase email. Am I safe to assume that my price isn't increasing? Currently paying €32/month for 120Mb, happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

dodzy wrote: »
    If you get through to the non-Irish agents (Manila) just hang up and retry till you get LimYou'll have a better chance dealing with an Irish lad)

I had quite the opposite experience. No way would Limerick give me 9 months half price. Said because I had a deal last year I wasn't eligible for another one like it. Rang back and within five mins into Manila I had the deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

Are you all entering into new 12 or 18 month contracts after getting the discounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

Just off the phone to Manilla, got 6 months half price, was told there was no say the 9 month offer existed.

Might try calling again later.

I suspect that the 9 month deal has been removed from the agents reach.

Its a 12 month contract with 6 months half price. I also got them to drop the 5 euro price hike too. They changed the name of my package but I get the same stuff. On 240gb and turned down the 10euro a month extra to go to 360.
    (cant see the point of 360atm)

I suspect that the 9 month deal has been removed from the agents reach.

Its a 12 month contract with 6 months half price. I also got them to drop the 5 euro price hike too. They changed the name of my package but I get the same stuff. On 240gb and turned down the 10euro a month extra to go to 360.
    (cant see the point of 360atm)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Anyone have luck with the 6 months half price today? Girl in Manilla swore blind she could not offer it.

Advertisement