Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭deezell

TV3 never shut up about their "Leaders debate in HD from our HD studio" (paid for by you and me), but the program was only available to Terrestrial and standard Sky sub viewers in the most awful low quality sub-SD, transcoded down from HD so even worse than native SD. In a wide shot you could not distuinguish PK from Enda, It was so retro looking I expected Haughey to walk in. It made me think about VHS recorders and Fanta and the like. Do they not realise many people will watch the shiniest looking image, even if it is tripe. They do themselves no favours. I'd vote for the party who would sort out this farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The debate looked alright for me (but I have the HD package with Sky, so that helped).

What's going on with the Vincent Browne studio though? Makes community television look professional, it's a mess of colours and looks like less than SD (even on the HD package).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

dulpit wrote: »
    The debate looked alright for me (but I have the HD package with Sky, so that helped).

What's going on with the Vincent Browne studio though? Makes community television look professional, it's a mess of colours and looks like less than SD (even on the HD package).

To me they made a relatively big studio look small, usually a news set designer will try to make a small space look big, not the other way around.

RTÉ went with Treasure Island over BB.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ went with Treasure Island over BB.

That was more of a shipwreck than a train wreck.

That was more of a shipwreck than a train wreck.

I think your thinking of cabin fever.

RTÉ have no interest in BB

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think your thinking of cabin fever.

Indeed. Time fades memory.

It was dreadful programme and a tragic end - fortunately no-one was injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I think TV3's The Box was equally awful. Keith "Are ya nervous?" Duffy as host.

It was created around the time BB was huge. Think TV3 went for the The Box option (really should have went for BB), having 2 people living inside this glass cube for days, while they answered questions later that night to stay the next night. The audience they hoped for in Dublin wasn't as high as expected.

iseegirls wrote: »
    I think TV3's The Box was equally awful. Keith "Are ya nervous?" Duffy as host.

It was created around the time BB was huge. Think TV3 went for the The Box option (really should have went for BB), having 2 people living inside this glass cube for days, while they answered questions later that night to stay the next night. The audience they hoped for in Dublin wasn't as high as expected.

Even worse Haunted House which had 40 contestants and no final !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

If they only consider the launch of Saturday AM and Sunday AM to be her only achievements in TV3 in a year, then I guess she's better off gone.

Maybe most of the budget is gone towards the rugby and red rock.

She also refused to go through with Blind Date, which probably was a good idea to get rid anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

TV3 talked over the most important line at the end of "The Longest Yard". If anyone hasn't watched it before, the film has just been ruined courtesy of TV3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Carnacalla wrote: »
    TV3 talked over the most important line at the end of "The Longest Yard". If anyone hasn't watched it before, the film has just been ruined courtesy of TV3

years ago

TV3 advertised 'buffalo soldiers with joaoquin phoenix' as a film they were showing
    They showed another buffalo soldiers film with danny glover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

There were rumours about this but now it seems that TV3 will show some Euro 2016 matches.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1670361.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2016_02_20

Koloman wrote: »
    There were rumours about this but now it seems that TV3 will show some Euro 2016 matches.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1670361.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2016_02_20

Good move from TV3 don't really understand it from RTÉ's perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Koloman wrote: »

RTÉ invited expressions of interest for a package of matches last Dec - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98117169#post98117169

The German public broadcasters ARD/ZDF did a similar deal with commercial broadcaster ProSiebenSat.1 for a package of 6 matches last year. The matches are the final group matches where there are simultaneous kick-off times (http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/12/18/ardzdf-sublicense-euro-2016-rights-to-prosiebensat-1/).

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Elmo wrote:
    Good move from TV3 don't really understand it from RTÉ's perspective.

I'd say it's purely down to all that is on this year with election, 1916, Olympics , Euros that they are covering ,Gaa and required to break even . The euros are an expanded this time round also

Always thought it would be better for both broadcasters to share - similar to what happens with BBC and ITV for the Euros and World Cup.

Be interesting to see how they'll pick the matches. Great year for TV3 to get a share of them with Wales, England and Northern Ireland involved too. There are some dodgy and awful fixtures in there too - but that's to be expected when the tournament has been expanded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭political analyst

According to the Sunday Times Culture TV guide, TV3 isn't bothering with coverage of the election vote-counting next Saturday.

According to the Sunday Times Culture TV guide, TV3 isn't bothering with coverage of the election vote-counting next Saturday.

I assume that Saturday AM will become a more newsy show for the count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭political analyst

I don't think there'll be any results in before noon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There may be tallies available though. RTE is on air at 10:00am(through until 3:00am!)

Meanwhile TV3 HD has "This is TV3 HD" on the Sky EPG for Sunday 5:00pm. SD has the movie Men in Black listed. Odd.

Yes they did say today towards the end of the show that it will be more like an election results special on Saturday and Sunday, with news reporters live at certain venues.

Strange then that they are just shutting up shop after that. There was results specials in the provisional schedules at the start of the week on digiguide. Maybe they've seen RTEs daylong coverage, and just decided that they'll offer an alternative in terms of no news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

icdg wrote:
    There may be tallies available though. RTE is on air at 10:00am(through until 3:00am!)

Is that on RTE 1? That's very impressive

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yup. Just breaks for news and weather. Winning Streak is on RTE2. I should add that I would expect them to go off air earlier than scheduled if all counts finish for the night before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

icdg wrote:
    Yup. Just breaks for news and weather. Winning Streak is on RTE2. I should add that I would expect them to go off air earlier than scheduled if all counts finish for the night before that.

Yeah good point, it might turn out that Sunday between 10 and 3 alot of seats will be decided.

Badabing wrote: »
    Yeah good point, it might turn out that Sunday between 10 and 3 alot of seats will be decided.

Most seat will be decided by late Sat evening, early Sun morning. The big counts and recounts will run into Sun and even into Monday.

The RTÉ 2011 election count coverage ran into early Sun morning IIRC with 1 or more Dublin constituencies finishing their counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭spakman

God I love watching the election analysis and counts!

spakman wrote: »
    God I love watching the election analysis and counts!

+1, TV will be locked to RTÉ1 until Sunday morning.

• Advertisement

Think how much entertainment would be lost if we had electronic counts out by 10 am in the morning of Saturday.

Advertisement