Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ftakeith wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/rt-extremely-disappointed-as-tv3-secures-six-nations-rights-from-2018-34191048.html
    It appears Ryle is disappointed they lost, Niall Cogley ex RTE head of Sport and ex setanta sport now at TV3 knew the competition from RTE was weak with Ryle.

From 2018, RTEtv Sport live, is below the total live rtetv sport:
    irish open golf
    GAA All Ireland
    ROI qualifiers
    World Cup 2018
    Euro 2020
    Horse Racing
    Dublin Horse Show

And from now until 2018 TV3 have?

McRedmond spouting the difference between RWC 2011 and 2015, not that he could compare 2007 but then TV3 only had 13 games that year!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

McRedmond defending showing 12 minutes of adverts at half-time and missing Paul O'Connell's misfortune.

He defended it using the 'we do not get licence fee money (which they do - but not that much) but does not mention the state write off of €80m that TV3 got.

IMO TV3 are replacing ITV programmes with Sports. I imagine that TV3 will now aggressively look at other sporting events.

I can't see them going after Horse Racing or Show Jumping. But they will be interested in GAA again. It will be a very strange situation to see RTE in partnership with the GAA on a subscription service (GAA Go) while TV3 provide terrestrial/national coverage.

What else is up for grabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

If TV3 can afford to outbid RTE for the Rugby 6 Nation Championship maybe they would afford to go HD on Saorview.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Nothing doing about Saorview/2RN or RTE before the election.

Alex White will be able to sign the SI the day before he leaves office after the next election is over. Then he can authorise 2RN to insist on HD for TV3, TG4, and UTVi (or ITVi as it might be by then). No political come back, especially if he is away into the wilderness.

• Advertisement

Nothing doing about Saorview/2RN or RTE before the election.

Alex White will be able to sign the SI the day before he leaves office after the next election is over. Then he can authorise 2RN to insist on HD for TV3, TG4, and UTVi (or ITVi as it might be by then). No political come back, especially if he is away into the wilderness.

He simple has to insist that TV3 go HD on saorview as it would be anti-competitive, has he made a decision on the virgin media Ireland takeover yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭deezell

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/rt%C3%A9-lose-six-nations-rights-as-tv3-takes-over-1.2425666

I expect TV3 will get the next live Irish rights to Pro-12 after 2018 and maybe some live games from the next European Cup Rugby rights after 2019
    well done to tv3

The six nations to become a low definition incentive for an ad fest. The end of quality sports broadcasting as we knew it. Minister will have to kick ass over the hd issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

so they paid double what RTE are paying either 5 million or 7 million( say 6 million)- RTE couldn't even come near that money or TV3 would complain about abuse of the licence fee.

• Advertisement

TV3 has 15 live 6 nations games for 4 years

I have Saorview, Freesat and Sky so I can choose from 2018 between TV3 and bbc/itv

Its Virgin TV viewers were TV3 will get most of its viewers when ITV are showing live games from 2018, bbctv will gain viewers here for their live games here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

According to the Sunday Times. Amazon prime has bought 80 episodes of red rock in a deal "worth more than €1 million"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

According to the Sunday Times. Amazon prime has bought 80 episodes of red rock in a deal "worth more than €1 million"
    I don't watch it and certainly am not pro TV3 or anything but fair used to them on this and the Saturday and Sunday AM shows... at least they are trying. The liberty deal could be the making of them.

Good news for Red Rock though €1m -€2m seem low to allow it be considered an Amazon original.

Also I don't think the average of 190,000 is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Elmo wrote: »
    Good news for Red Rock though €1m -€2m seem low to allow it be considered an Amazon original.

Also I don't think the average of 190,000 is correct.

I still applaud TV3 for having a go, and new viewers in the US (regardless of how many) has to be good for Irish tv in general.

I still applaud TV3 for having a go, and new viewers in the US (regardless of how many) has to be good for Irish tv in general.

I agree its great to see Irish productions doing well. Though imagine if they had started back in 1998. Hopefully it will lead to another continuing drama rather than more episodes per week.

The average Irish viewers I would think is lower than 190,000, not US viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The average Irish viewers I would think is lower than 190,000, not US viewers.

I'd say it's combined viewers of an episode that includes repeats on TV3 and 3e.

Great news though for Irish drama in general. The drama in enjoyable - and the money has at least secured it for another year or so. Also good new for the 150 people who work on the show. At least it didn't turn into TV3s other drama Deception which absolutely bombed years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Some bad news for TV3 but it's maybe a minor one for them for this particular show. As TV3 are currently the Irish rights holders of Big Brother; they will have a HD competitor as Channel 5 HD will appear on Freesat before Christmas.

Details of Channel 5 HD going on Freesat are below. The channel is encrypted at the moment so no movement yet.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Some bad news for TV3 but it will maybe a minor one for them. As TV3 are currently the Irish rights holders of Big Brother; they will have a HD competitor as Channel 5 HD will appear on Freesat before Christmas.

Details of Channel 5 HD going on Freesat are below. The channel is encrypted at the moment so no movement yet.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Not a huge issue when looking at RWC HD, would be more of an issue if and when Channel 5 start selling advertising opt-outs.

• Advertisement

Not a huge issue when looking at RWC HD, would be more of an issue if and when Channel 5 start selling advertising opt-outs.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/virgin-media-deal-to-buy-tv3-expected-to-be-approved-soon-1.2454919

almost confirmed

Hopefully the minister has put down some stipulations for HD on saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭deezell

Hopefully the minister has put down some stipulations for HD on saorview.
    Don't assume anything. He'll be soft soaped by the BAI. Lobby your local TD to raise a question. Tel your FG or Labour TD you wont vote for them if its not sorted.

deezell wrote: »
    Don't assume anything. He'll be soft soaped by the BAI. Lobby your local TD to raise a question. Tel your FG or Labour TD you wont vote for them if its not sorted.

Can't suggest I'd ever vote FG and certainly won't ever be voting labour again. I'd have to bribe them with a vote may my number 7 or 8

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can't suggest I'd ever vote FG and certainly won't ever be voting labour again. I'd have to bribe them with a vote may my number 7 or 8

If your 1-6 are small Independents / fractured left your 7th preference is probably the one that'll be effective.

L1011 wrote: »
    If your 1-6 are small Independents / fractured left your 7th preference is probably the one that'll be effective.

Oh well that means FG are definitely getting my vote!

Unfortunate how The Greens and Labour dealt with Broadcasting. At least Ray Burke had a plan to destroy RTE and was honest about it, Post edited. Please don't post unproven allegations of this natureLaboursuppose when we see Pat Rabbitte on the Right Hook and it being produced by Alex White we'll see a truer picture!

Though its getting a bit political for the mods likings. :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Youre right about that. Politics to the politics forum please

icdg wrote: »
    Youre right about that. Politics to the politics forum please

You are right of course former Minister for Justice and Communications Ray Burke got election expense following the awarding of the license and we should never think of it in any other way!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ray-burke-radio-licence-controversy-is-still-alive-1.242168

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Ban if you persist Elmo. Back on topic please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Mcredmond is leaving tv3

Advertisement