Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

The vacancy at RTE will be tempting for him now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

brick man wrote: »

Eircom sell Eircell under who's watch
    TV3 lost 40% of the viewers under who's watch
    TV3 refinanced due hefty loans from Anglo Irish
    A member of the board of the Bank of Scotland

Though lets play those minor issues down.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/david-mcredmond-exits-tv3-as-virgin-completes-deal-1.2457654

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

brick man wrote: »
    They wouldn't touch him with a barge pole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

ironic that he harps on about home grown programmes when he removed any morsel of the former channel 5 irish programming once they bought it. As others have said he wont even make the RTE shortlist...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »
    Google will have another 4000+ gems I'm sure. The Press Release guy at Tv3 must be deliriously happy.

You mean the department of truth at TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Virgin Media Ireland chief executive Tony Hanway, commented: “We’re delighted to welcome TV3 to the Virgin Media family. Ireland is an important growth market for Virgin Media and this transaction represents our company’s first entry into the free-to-air broadcasting sector. This acquisition also secures TV3’s long term future and provides it with a strategic partner to build on its success both in Ireland and internationally.”

“With TV3’s future now secure, David McRedmond has decided to leave the business by year end to pursue other opportunities. While I am sorry to lose David from TV3 he leaves with our best wishes. Under his leadership TV3 has transformed the Irish broadcasting landscape, introducing real competition, innovating with high quality Irish programming and delivering profitable growth. David has built a first-class team in TV3 and I look forward to working with them for the next phase of growth for TV3 and Virgin Media.

Interestingly put....

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/tv3-chief-executive-david-mcredmond-is-to-leave-the-broadcaster-34266581.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Was it nor Redmond who messed out to UTV on the ITV Studios content including the Emmerdale and Coronation Jewels?

He also moved afternoon TV to prime time. Not one TV3 or e3 programmes make the top 30 programmes generally. RWC was the exception.

STB. wrote: »
    "...and I look forward to working with them for the next phase of growth for TV3 and Virgin Media.

Interestingly put....

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/tv3-chief-executive-david-mcredmond-is-to-leave-the-broadcaster-34266581.html

Funny I would have highlighted
    I am [not] sorry to lose David from TV3 he leaves [tv3] with our best wishes a massive debt. Under his leadership TV3 has em er eh transformed the Irish broadcasting landscape, introducing real competition, innovating with high quality Irish programming and delivering profitable growth. David has built a first-class second-rate team in TV3

But lets wonder want Virgin Media will do with TV3...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 BillyBot

Is the new guy already rolling back the old guy's work? We'll see some big changes, I suspect.

From the Indo:
    It was supposed to be TV3's biggest coup for Christmas - a live studio show featuring Louis Walsh. The Mayo music mogul was due to host two programmes called Louis' Big Party Live this weekend due to air before and after the X Factor final. However, the plug has been pulled, with a TV3 source saying there "wasn't enough time to organise everything".

BillyBot wrote: »
    Is the new guy already rolling back the old guy's work? We'll see some big changes, I suspect.

From the Indo:

No, TV3 have a history of announcing things that were never really going to happen. Unlikely that Louie Walsh had agreed, or that TV3 was willing to pay his fee considering they didn't pay for some of the guest hosts of Xpose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Elmo wrote: »
    No, TV3 have a history of announcing things that were never really going to happen. Unlikely that Louie Walsh had agreed, or that TV3 was willing to pay his fee considering they didn't pay for some of the guest hosts of Xpose.

I am shocked, I hope Nadia Forde got paid for xpose, her presenting style should be awarded with 'the late late show'

ftakeith wrote: »
    I am shocked, I hope Nadia Forde got paid for xpose, her presenting style should be awarded with 'the late late show'

Not sure if your being ironic! if not you be glad to hear she was the only one to be paid.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/virgin-territory-for-media-empire-s-new-boss-in-ireland-1.2461667
    Speaking of transmission, broadcasters in Britain and Ireland, including RTÉ, have lobbied for a legislative change that would allow them to charge retransmission fees to television platform owners like Virgin, Sky and Eir. Hanway is not impressed. “They’ve got their advertising, they’ve also got a licence fee and, oh gosh, now they want a transmission fee as well – I think that’s actually laying it on a bit thick.”

Suppose the new owners of TV3 wouldn't mind a re-transmission fee from their rivals at Sky and Eir.

If McRedmond gets DG at RTE (hope not) his years of standing at the poor bowl will help with such arguments.

Lovey-dovey interview from IT (Every episode and you want more you say!).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I think the issue of Sky retransmission fees to RTÉ has been put to bed with the new carriage agreement.

The Cush wrote: »
    I think the issue of Sky retransmission fees to RTÉ has been put to bed with the new carriage agreement.

Her follow up question should have been does he thing that UTV Ireland, TV3 and 3e deserve Carriage fees.

OTT but when is RTE ONE +1, RTEjr and RTE NEWS NOW appearing on Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Never

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

OTT but when is RTE ONE +1, RTEjr and RTE NEWS NOW appearing on Sky?
    Within a week I would imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭deezell

RTE one HD now on astra, Not resolving ala TV3 HD. Is this to be behind the SKY HD paywall also? RTE Two HD is on a standard sub, the BAI having been forced to exert pressure as it was also on the sky HD package when first transmitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

deezell wrote: »
    RTE one HD now on astra, Not resolving ala TV3 HD. Is this to be behind the SKY HD paywall also? RTE Two HD is on a standard sub, the BAI having been forced to exert pressure as it was also on the sky HD package when first transmitted.
    Its mentioned in the rtehd thread...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Pat Kiely has been appointed managing director of TV3 and has joined the board of Virgin Media in Ireland.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/pat-kiely-appointed-managing-director-of-tv3-1.2486816

icdg wrote: »
    Pat Kiely has been appointed managing director of TV3 and has joined the board of Virgin Media in Ireland.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/pat-kiely-appointed-managing-director-of-tv3-1.2486816

Interesting to see he will also be on the board of Virgin Media, so much for being at arms length from the telecommunications provider. I wonder if it will be a slow move to another part of the Dublin or will it be a slow move to ..... VIRGIN THREE and VIRGIN ENTERTAINMENT!

The appointment has been only available on Virgin Media's site.

If a rebrand is not happening, I wonder if TV3's staff will slowly merge with Virgin Media's in terms of HR, payroll, press office, sales, online and broadcasting.

With ballymount been used for Executives, legal, content and live studio output.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Tv3 are repeating the repeats.

Saturday Night Takeaway shown last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

mikeym wrote: »
    Tv3 are repeating the repeats.

Saturday Night Takeaway shown last Saturday.

Amazingly, it still managed to be the most watched programme on TV3 last week of 150k (Adults 15+), and had a better audience than anything on RTE2. Outside of Emmerdale and Corrie on UTV Ireland, Shawshank Redemption got 132k.
    Will be interesting to see if same amount of audience will watch the new series on UTV Ireland in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

iseegirls wrote: »
    Amazingly, it still managed to be the most watched programme on TV3 last week of 150k (Adults 15+), and had a better audience than anything on RTE2. Outside of Emmerdale and Corrie on UTV Ireland, Shawshank Redemption got 132k.
    Will be interesting to see if same amount of audience will watch the new series on UTV Ireland in February.

I presume people thought they were new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Tv3 are looking at launching 24 hour news service as well as other new channels
    [pic][pic]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

AFAIK know the CPCC just have to put into writing the reasons behind its decision and Doherty Hanson, Tullamore Beta, TV3 and Liberty Global have a say as to what the CPCC can publish from a commercial perspective. I think Liberty and Doherty Hanson just now put the wheels in motion for the sale. I'd say it will be completed by mid-November.

Done this week, Determination published by the CCPC - http://www.ccpc.ie/enforcement/mergers/merger-notices/m15039-liberty-global-tv3

Piece in the Sunday Times tomorrow about this - http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1656898.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2016_01_16
    A NUMBER of concerns were raised with the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) about Virgin Media’s acquisition of TV3, with suggestions that the station might be given more prominence on the Virgin cable services at the expense of other Irish stations.

Concerns were also raised that the deal would result in the channel becoming too expensive for carriage on competing TV services.

The authors of three submissions made to the CCPC were not revealed in the watchdog’s determination, published last week. The CCPC cleared the €87m acquisition of TV3 from Doughty Hanson in October.

Among the concerns raised was that broadcasting platforms such as Sky and Saorview, as well as advertisers and viewers, could be at a disadvantage if “prohibitive commercial terms for broadcasting” TV3 and 3e were imposed by the new owner.

It was suggested that Virgin, formerly known as UPC, could seek to change its licensing arrangements

• Advertisement

Joo0 wrote: »
    Tv3 are looking at launching 24 hour news service as well as other new channels
    [pic][pic]

They have suggested this before. It will be interesting to see if any new services appear from the channel considering that they had plans for a News Channel, a Classics channels and a Children's Channel.

They will really need to improve their news output, from a visual perspective and also an online perspective.

http://www.tv3.ie/news.php

They have news from Sept on that page, I though U2 were going to have another concert.

Midday still features as a link
    http://www.tv3.ie/news_sub_page.php?locID=1.2.893

http://www.businesspost.ie/tv3-plans-24-hour-news-channel/

Advertisement