Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

icdg wrote: »
    To be honest, if you're willing to switch to ITV you won't be worried about the nationality of the commentators - that said, Craig Doyle, Brian O'Driscoll, and Geordan Murphy are lending an Irish flavour to proceedings there......

Doyle and BOD are OK (if a bit wooden), but Murphy is a disaster. Will keep a recording of him for when I have trouble sleeping.

However, it would be a no brainer to watch on ITV if they had a main Irish commentator (Mark Robson comes to mind). The English guy they used for the Canada match was so annoying.
    ..... For me the major annoyances about TV3 are the absolutely huge TV3HD Dog.....

If only I had the ability to see that DOG!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I might be dreaming but have TV3 moved their DOG up and made it slightly smaller today?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

irishfeen wrote:
    I might be dreaming but have TV3 moved their DOG up and made it slightly smaller today?

Seems to have moved up slightly 3e is smaller not sure if 3 is

brick man wrote: »
    Seems to have moved up slightly 3e is smaller not sure if 3 is
    Ah yes 3e is definitely smaller.. I think TV3 is slightly smaller but the "HD" logo just looks completely stupid now in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭deezell

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ah yes 3e is definitely smaller.. I think TV3 is slightly smaller but the "HD" logo just looks completely stupid now in the middle of nowhere.

HD is their new toy, its like getting your first long trousers, or leaving the plastic bags on the seats of a new car for months, to show off its newness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

deezell wrote: »
    HD is their new toy, its like getting your first long trousers, or leaving the plastic bags on the seats of a new car for months, to show off its newness.

It would be easier to show off their new toy if it wasn't hid behind a paywall.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

3e's DOG is smaller, but is now not in the corner and could do with moving back into it, but keeping the size obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭County rebel

Saw con murphy on tv3 last night when did he join the station.?He was a big loss to RTE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Saw con murphy on tv3 last night when did he join the station.?He was a big loss to RTE.

He took the early RTE pension or something similar and he is freelance

TV3 and setanta should use him as one of the main live sports tv presenters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

ftakeith wrote: »
    He took the early RTE pension or something similar and he is freelance

TV3 and setanta should use him as one of the main live sports tv presenters

Yes he was very good on tv3. Brought a sense of someone who actually knows what hes talking about to tv3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

What was he on last night?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

iseegirls wrote: »
    What was he on last night?

sport news on some tv3 news bulletins

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

How long does it take for the rugby matches to go up on 3 player?

I don't want to ask in rugby from becuase I'm trying to avoid seeing the result of Japan Scotland

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Schedule swap - TV3 sticking with the rugby, TV3's prime time schedule (including News at 8:00) moved to 3e.

The new DOG is a lot smaller and works better with the RWC DOG. A consequence however is that the "3 LIVE" is now a good bit away from the "HD", which hasn't moved. Still, good to see they are listening to criticism.

Schedule swap - TV3 sticking with the rugby, TV3's prime time schedule (including News at 8:00) moved to 3e.

The new DOG is a lot smaller and works better with the RWC DOG. A consequence however is that the "3 LIVE" is now a good bit away from the "HD", which hasn't moved. Still, good to see they are listening to criticism.

Rugby moved to Itv4 tonight because of corny st. live special, so no FTA HD channel anywhere, all on Sky.

They also seem to have changed to the normal method of taking breaks, at least tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There rugby coverage seems to have improved but the Ireland game tomorrow will tell a tale. Maybe the ads didn't sell as well as hoped outside of the opening ceremony and the Ireland games .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

UPC/Virgin Media/Liberty global now set to buy TV3 as it passes ccpc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    UPC/Virgin Media/Liberty global now set to buy TV3 as it passes ccpc

Merger announcement from Competition and Consumer Protection Commission
    02 Oct 2015

The proposed acquisition of TV3 Television Network Limited by Liberty Global plc, has been cleared by the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Cush wrote: »
    Merger announcement from Competition and Consumer Protection Commission

Its an acquisition rather than merger.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Its an acquisition rather than merger.
    Just quoting the CCPC.

I wonder will the eventually rebrand TV3 to Virgin TV? Do Virgin actually own any channels in the UK?

No, they used to own Flextech, which in turn owned 50% of UKTV, but both those operations are gone now.

No, they used to own Flextech, which in turn owned 50% of UKTV, but both those operations are gone now.

But now Branson has a a fully operational UK HD subscription channel with an Irish terrestrial sd version funded by Irish taxpayer subsidies and debt writedown. No wonder he was happy on the late Late show. Maybe he'll pony up for the HD before the world cup is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

deezell wrote: »
    But now Branson has a a fully operational UK HD subscription channel with an Irish terrestrial sd version funded by Irish taxpayer subsidies and debt writedown. No wonder he was happy on the late Late show. Maybe he'll pony up for the HD before the world cup is over.

Branson doesn't own any of the company he mearly licences the name to liberty who are using it in the UK and here.

Branson doesn't own any of the company he mearly licences the name to liberty who are using it in the UK and here.

It's his brand which will get the flak though.

Virgin Media has a 30-year brand licensing agreement to use the name since 2006.
    NTL and Telewest formally completed their merger on 3 March 2006, making the merged company the UK's largest cable provider, with more than 90% of the market. The combined company renamed itself NTL Incorporated, with ex-NTL shareholders controlling 75% of the stock and ex-Telewest shareholders 25%. Nine of the 11 directors of the new board came from NTL, with two from Telewest.

NTL:Telewest's takeover of Virgin Mobile completed on 4 July 2006, creating the UK's first 'quadruple play' media company, bringing together television, broadband, mobile phone and fixed-line phone services. The deal included a 30-year exclusive branding agreement that saw NTL adopt the "Virgin" name after it completed its merger with Telewest. NTL:Telewest announced on 8 November 2006 it would change its name to "Virgin Media Inc".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Media

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

irishfeen wrote: »
    I wonder will the eventually rebrand TV3 to Virgin TV? Do Virgin actually own any channels in the UK?

I do not see that happening at all. TV3 is a bigger brand name in this country than Virgin.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I do not see that happening at all. TV3 is a bigger brand name in this country than Virgin.
    I suppose we will see eventually but I have a feeling we might see a change - a total relaunch as a channel under the "Virgin" brand.

They wouldn't have any issues losing the TV3 brand either - Prime EPG position's on Sky, Virgin, eVision and Saorview. We are entering the age of quad subscriptions - Moblie, Television, Broadband & Home Phone... to add two television stations with the same name basically is a golden opportunity to advertise on all platforms for all services all of the time.

... its not like the TV3 brand inspires massive public confidence anyway :)

• Advertisement

TV3 HD seems now to be averaging 9.9Mb/s ... very decent!

Advertisement