Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

TV3 have made a silly decision IMHO to show the first half of Tonga vs Georgia RWC game on Saturday and then start previewing Ireland vs Canada relegating the second half of the Tonga game to 3e. For those wishing to record the Tonga game this is a pain. Why not show the whole of the Tonga game on 3e?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TV3 have made a silly decision IMHO to show the first half of Tonga vs Georgia RWC game on Saturday and then start previewing Ireland vs Canada relegating the second half of the Tonga game to 3e. For those wishing to record the Tonga game this is a pain. Why not show the whole of the Tonga game on 3e?

It is so they can sell more advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭iseegirls

If you wish to record, then record the first half on TV3, and then the second half on 3e. This is surely an easy process.

It makes sense for TV3 to have as much build-up for their most important matches - the Irish ones. If they continued to show the match on TV3, they could be limited to around 30mins pre-match, and as Elmo said - need to maximize their advertising space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

30 minutes build up is sufficient time, but I reckon 15 of those minutes will be on ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

For those wishing to record the Tonga game this is a pain.

How is it a pain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

TV3HD free on Ch117 with eVision, not sure how new it is, but only noticed it yesterday myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

lertsnim wrote: »
    How is it a pain?

If you want to record the Irish Game as well, you have to set the kick off time as the Irish game and build up will be listed as one programme on the EPGs, while the other game will be listed on 2 different services.

I am guessing no in studio analysis on 3e.

As it will be in SD with no option of HD.

Is do you still require a subscription for ITV4HD?

TV3 HD

Channel | Saorview | SKY | UPC | eirVision
    TV3 SD| Yes | Yes| Yes |Yes
    TV3 HD| No | with Sub | with HD box | basic package though they'll keep their SD TV3 for some reason???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Elmo wrote: »
    If you want to record the Irish Game as well, you have to set the kick off time as the Irish game and build up will be listed as one programme on the EPGs, while the other game will be listed on 2 different services.

I am guessing no in studio analysis on 3e.

As it will be in SD with no option of HD.

Is do you still require a subscription for ITV4HD?

TV3 HD

Channel | Saorview | SKY | UPC | eirVision
    TV3 SD| Yes | Yes| Yes |Yes
    TV3 HD| No | with Sub | with HD box | basic package though they'll keep their SD TV3 for some reason???

Ire v France is the only live irish game I will be watching from group d

there are only 11 decent games from the 48 games from the 2015 RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

iseegirls wrote: »
    If you wish to record, then record the first half on TV3, and then the second half on 3e. This is surely an easy process.

It makes sense for TV3 to have as much build-up for their most important matches - the Irish ones. If they continued to show the match on TV3, they could be limited to around 30mins pre-match, and as Elmo said - need to maximize their advertising space.

I was suggesting showing the whole of the Tonga game on 3e not TV3. OK recording is simple enough but if you don't have a twin tuner and wish to record directly from the EPG then there is a problem as TV3's programme featuring Ireland overlaps with the Tonga game.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

Notice that the Sky EPG has none of the games on TV3 showing in HD

They make a point of marking every edition of Ireland AM as HD; and with all the build-up // "Exclusive to TV3" etc..., you'd think they'd especially mark all the matches as being HD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

callaway92 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right thread but I see the 3player has been updated. Ads play automatically now (even with AdBlock software) :(

The website looks nice mind you, but still it's frustrating. Two minutes of ads at breaks now.

Scratch that.

Watching last night's Big Brother show and the video is constantly jumping. Refresh the page and you have to sit through 2 minutes of ads again.

I was suggesting showing the whole of the Tonga game on 3e not TV3. OK recording is simple enough but if you don't have a twin tuner and wish to record directly from the EPG then there is a problem as TV3's programme featuring Ireland overlaps with the Tonga game.

... And don't forget, for Sky viewers, 3e is squashy-vision 4:3

Notice that the Sky EPG has none of the games on TV3 showing in HD

They make a point of marking every edition of Ireland AM as HD; and with all the build-up // "Exclusive to TV3" etc..., you'd think they'd especially mark all the matches as being HD

That doesn't mean it will not be in HD.

lertsnim wrote: »
    That doesn't mean it will not be in HD.

Yes, I understand that - I was just making the point that TV3 have so far marked EVERY edition of I:AM as HD, so why not the matches!?!

You would have to ask them. Personally I don't see what the big deal is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so why isn't tv3 hd available on saorview ???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

fryup wrote: »
    so why isn't tv3 hd available on saorview ???

Because it costs money - more than is needed to keep the leaky barge afloat.

so why invest in HD in the first place if they're not going to broadcast it to the masses??

TG4 are worse. They invested in HD and still refuse to broadcast in HD on Saorview or Sky. Worse again is they got a grant to help with investing in HD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭deezell

Flicking from utv hd to tv3, its shameful. Three as in third world tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

deezell wrote: »
    Flicking from utv hd to tv3, its shameful. Three as in third world tv.

Flick to tv3 HD and compare.
    Comparing HD to sd is as useful as comparing a boat to a spaceship

zefer wrote: »
    Flick to tv3 HD and compare.
    Comparing HD to sd is as useful as comparing a boat to a spaceship

How? Tv3 hd is behind a double sky subscription. There is no FTA hd broadcast of the RWC in the Republic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

How? Tv3 hd is behind a double sky subscription. There is no FTA hd broadcast of the RWC in the Republic.

yes there is if you have UK freeview or UK free satellite through freesat and sky

I have freesat and sky

saorview TV3 pictures is terrible for RWC

ftakeith wrote: »
    yes there is if you have UK freeview or UK free satellite through freesat and sky

I have freesat and sky

saorview TV3 pictures is terrible for RWC

Same here, but that's just a consequence of geography. The Irish TV station who won the IRISH TV rights are peddling the cream through a UK pay tv service and delivering the Irish public a third rate product.

There is no FTA hd broadcast of the RWC in the Republic.

ITV hd is available FTA

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

On a side note..... What's "the Republic"? The name of this country is "Ireland" and our neighbour to the north is called "Northern Ireland".
    Officially we are only The Republic of Ireland in FIFA's eyes.

I do agree that it's unbelievable in 2015 (when many countries are preparing to switch off SD channel versions) that we have to rely on a UK FTA channel to provide a Free HD feed.
    Boycott TV3 coverage if you can and post your disappointed on their Social Media pages.
    Hopefully this may get them to reverse this stupid decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Whats with the very awful looking studio desk and set? Are they trying to copy the RTE2 Champions league set? They dont compare to be honest as it just seems that 3 guests are out of place on the sharp angle desk. Coverage wise well I turned it on then straight over to ITVHD as I dont have tv3HD nor would I pay for it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Take the politics (and football) to another forum please

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

On a side note..... What's "the Republic"?

A shortened version of our official name, -" Republic of Ireland" commonly used to differentiate ourselves from the North.

I assume you know that too, just a little petty jab to try and strengthen your argument. Which you have proved in the posts below.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I've already addressed that. Back on topic

Advertisement