Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

deezell wrote: »
    Your right, I recall trying it before, ball was in the net on audio while still in the middle of the park on video. George Hamilton had Pshycic powers! Actaully, I'll stream the Irish audio from the same sat box as it has dual sat tuners, I'll feed the stream from my phone or laptop to the speakers. Delay should be nearly the same.

It still will not work. There is an app/windows app for delaying sound.

It would be fine if the audio was behind, as you could just pause the video if your box has timeshift.

All very messy. Broadcasters don't use a standard delay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

icdg wrote: »
    Seems to be some confusion on that one. Certainly at one point TV3 were indicating if not actually saying explicitly, that all 48 games would be in HD. However they never at any point indicated that World Rugby had placed a requirement on it to broadcast the games in HD. Indeed World Rugby will have sold rights to broadcasters all around the world, many of which will have no HD capability.

3e was mentioned as early as the very first press release. Unless TV3 have 3e HD hidden under a rock somewhere ready to go, if a game is on 3e it won't be in HD.

It's difficult to watch SD when you get used to watching HD. Who, if they had the option would watch a game on 3E or even on tv3 SD. I's say only people who want the irish commentary and for no other reason.
    Sport in SD has a horrible blocky picture especially on the big tv's everyone seems to own these days.
    Apologies TV3 but you should be HD all the way, it'll be ITV HD for me next week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭deezell

It's difficult to watch SD when you get used to watching HD. Who, if they had the option would watch a game on 3E or even on tv3 SD. I's say only people who want the irish commentary and for no other reason.
    Sport in SD has a horrible blocky picture especially on the big tv's everyone seems to own these days.
    Apologies TV3 but you should be HD all the way, it'll be ITV HD for me next week
    Its safe to assume that the RWC will be on UTV/ UTV HD , as ITV 1 is not broadcast on terrestrial in Norn' Iron. Is there a possibility that UTV will have a separate commentary/panel for the Ireland matches. It's their home team after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Its safe to assume that the RWC will be on UTV/ UTV HD , as ITV 1 is not broadcast on terrestrial in Norn' Iron. Is there a possibility that UTV will have a separate commentary/panel for the Ireland matches. It's their home team after all.

UTV are part of the ITV network, but separate to ITVplc. UTV, STV and ITV make up the ITV network, RWC is bought for each region of that network. ITVplc control all ITV networks in England and Wales and also owns the Scottish Boarder licence, which includes part of Scotland and England (AFAIK Isle of Man also).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITV_(TV_network)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITV_plc

I doubt that UTV will have their own panel, they haven't announced anybody and with Brian O'Driscoll on ITV this represent the NI aspect of the ITV coverage. AKA token Irish panelist.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just yesterday a frantic work colleague asked me about TV3 HD on UPC, (not that I know of) then he informed me that ITV(UTV) is gone and is replaced by UTV Ireland. This is in HD, but will UTV Ireland carry the ITV feed of theworld cup? I dont think so, as it's an "Irish" channel on Saorview, so can't. That means UPC customers are condemned to watch TV3 on ShtD, or ITV4 for some of the matches. Unlike sat box owners, they have no way out. I can't believe UPC would score such a commercial own goal like that, if all their customers run out to get a freesat dish for ITV HD, they can say goodbye to them in the future. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but he's desperate for a good answer.

TV3 HD is on UPC. Channel 150 on a standard HD box and channel 103 on Horizon box. Obviously you will need a HD box:

https://twitter.com/upcireland/status/631125640079634432

Given that UPC now owns TV3, then it would make no sense for them not to carry it in HD on their own platform!

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    TV3 HD is on UPC. Channel 150 on a standard HD box and channel 103 on Horizon box. Obviously you will need a HD box:

Part of the basic package as long as you have a HD box?

Have they given the sale of TV3 the go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    Have they given the sale of TV3 the go ahead?

No, the Phase 1 part of the process was extended at the end of August, report in last week's Sunday Times.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96477089

The Cush wrote: »
    No, the Phase 1 part of the process was extended at the end of August, report in last week's Sunday Times.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96477089

Any reason why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kefkat

I understand that TV3 are showing the Rugby world cup, I have TV3 +1 which normally you can catch up on tv which you have missed. My question is, are TV3+1 showing the England v Fuji game at the correct time. Rather than an hour later.

kefkat wrote: »
    I understand that TV3 are showing the Rugby world cup, I have TV3 +1 which normally you can catch up on tv which you have missed. My question is, are TV3+1 showing the England v Fuji game at the correct time. Rather than an hour later.

I assume it will be an hour later?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Although a lot of people who have the choice will watch ITV - I will for most matches not involving Ireland - it won't be the case for everyone. UPC viewers have no choice, as we say above. But for many people, including myself, when Ireland play, they will tune to TV3 to get Irish commentary. Some people prefer to get the "Irish angle" on things, rather than ITV's notoriously England-centred coverage. There's also to note that ITV Wales will be doing separate coverage, though there have been no similar announcements from STV or UTV.

The Irish angle is easily fixed by turning down the tv sound and turning up the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

The Irish angle is easily fixed by turning down the tv sound and turning up the radio

Now that's just messing!!

I'm finding it really annoying that I'll need to watch on ITV-HD as TV3-HD is behind the Sky Paywall. I would much prefer Irish commentary to that of ITV, but cannot watch TV3's dodgy SD picture.

I wonder is there any hope of the HD channel being made available for non HD customers before next weekend? I know - Wishful thinking!!
    I also wonder what viewership TV3 are loosing because of this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

You'll find the radio ahead of the TV...

To the
    You'll find the radio ahead of the TV...

True, but as discussed previously, if you take the radio from astra also, it will be equally delayed. To do this you need two sat boxes, but if you have a dual tuner box, you can stream the radio sound ( or the TV3. commentary) to a phone/ tablet plugged into your speakers. If you use VLC for this, you can adjust the delay if there is still a mismatch. You can stream just the audio of TV3, no need to stream their Sd video. This way you have HD, Irish commentary, and you're making tv3 happy. Radio commentary will exist just for the Irish matches. Same thing if you stream the Rte radio commentary from astra,, if it's still ahead, just pause vlc for a moment. Good news for upc subscribers. They left it late. Maybe a last minute saorview arrangement will surface?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Trying to watch the match on TV3 saorview. Picture quality is desperate. Feels like I'm watching a flash player blown up to full screen. No Champions league on ITV any more.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Trying to watch the match on TV3 saorview. Picture quality is desperate. Feels like I'm watching a flash player blown up to full screen. No Champions league on ITV any more.
    On BT2 sport, full hd, 1920, no Sky hd paywall. Even their SD channel is 720, compared to Tv3's measly 544 pixels.

On BT2 sport, full hd, 1920, no Sky hd paywall. Even their SD channel is 720, compared to Tv3's measly 544 pixels.

I think BT have their own paywall

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Elmo wrote: »
    I think BT have their own paywall

Nothing extra for HD channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats a paywall?

Nothing extra for HD channels.

Only if you agree to a 12 month contract, otherwise it's €25 pm instead of €21.99.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    whats a paywall?

What up until about 2 years ago everyone called a "subscription". Not sure why the change in terminology caught on so quickly, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

What's the story with TV3 player? Programmes instead of appearing when finished on TV are over five hours late.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The picture quality on the standard definition BT Sport Extra channels however are absolutely desperate.

What up until about 2 years ago everyone called a "subscription". Not sure why the change in terminology caught on so quickly, but there you go.

Indeed bad use of the phrase it was introduced for newspapers /news outlets online putting their content behind a paywall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

The studio presentation was awful as well. why bother paying the experts when they spend 90% of the time on ads during half time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not sure if this is the right thread but I see the 3player has been updated. Ads play automatically now (even with AdBlock software) :(

The website looks nice mind you, but still it's frustrating. Two minutes of ads at breaks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

My guess is to make it sound bad that you actually have to pay for something.

Fair enough, HD shouldn't really be extra, but it doesn't really negate the point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The studio presentation was awful as well. why bother paying the experts when they spend 90% of the time on ads during half time?

This is the norm really for a commercial channel - ITV are exactly the same at half time during their matches.
    TV3 actually extended out their coverage of the CL from 7-11, so they made full use of them before and after the match aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

iseegirls wrote: »
    This is the norm really for a commercial channel - ITV are exactly the same at half time during their matches.
    TV3 actually extended out their coverage of the CL from 7-11, so they made full use of them before and after the match aswell.

4 hours of absolute waffle and in SD on saorview too. Terrible!

God help us when the rugby starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

4 hours of absolute waffle and in SD on saorview too. Terrible!

God help us when the rugby starts.

what was the point of having a half hour show at 7 and then repeating the same intro again at 7.30? its seems silly.

Advertisement