Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Elmo wrote: »
    Hopefully the audience will turn to ITV HD.

Is TV3 HD part of the Sky HD package or just their basic pack/essentials?
    You have to pay sky an extra €15 for the HD pack to watch both TV3 and UTVI HD which is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

The only programs that are in HD are Ireland am and The best of Ireland am. Are the other in house productions like expose, 7 show and news not filmed in HD. I would have thought that Red Rock would have been shot in HD also but it's not flagged as such. I don't have the HD pack so am only going by what the EPG shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

irishfeen wrote: »
    BAI have said to me that broadcasters "highlighted in their application that they would be filming in HD in order to increase the quality, and enjoyment by the audiences, of the final programme"

I am awaiting another response from the BAI whether BAI funded HD programmes can be placed behind the paywall ... it seems to me that broadcasters could have got more money from the fund to cover the cost of HD production which would make a paywall absolutely ridiculous for BAI funded programmes.

One word: Setanta

One word: Setanta
    Setanta Ireland itself is not in HD on sky, they are not intentionally preventing licence fee payers from a HD broadcast like UTV and TV3 behind the paywall.

Setanta broadcast all BAI programming as free view to all sky viewers.

Setanta Ireland itself is not in HD on sky, they are not intentionally preventing licence fee payers from a HD broadcast like UTV and TV3 behind the paywall.

Setanta broadcast all BAI programming as free view to all sky viewers.

So let TV3 do the same. Setanta's freeview hours are purely a marketing/advertising tool used by pay tv operators, in this case paid for by the licence fee. Well out side the requirements of the broadcasting act :/

• Advertisement

So let TV3 do the same. Setanta's freeview hours are purely a marketing/advertising tool used by pay tv operators, in this case paid for by the licence fee. Well out side the requirements of the broadcasting act :/
    It's exactly my point, whatever about general TV3 programming any BAI stuff behind the paywall is disgraceful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You have to pay sky an extra €15 for the HD pack to watch both TV3 and UTVI HD which is ridiculous.

I would find it extremely difficult to believe that this is the case. TV3 is a licensed FTA service in Ireland. Under the Broadcasting Act 2009, there channels must be offered to the likes of Sky at no extra charge. In turn Sky may not charge any extra.

This try on existed with RTE2HD when they first appeared on Sky. Its the same rules.

STB. wrote: »
    I would find it extremely difficult to believe that this is the case. TV3 is a licensed FTA service in Ireland. Under the Broadcasting Act 2009, there channels must be offered to the likes of Sky at no extra charge. In turn Sky may not charge any extra.

This try on existed with RTE2HD when they first appeared on Sky. Its the same rules.
    Its what has happened since TV3 and UTVI HD variations launched...

It's exactly my point, whatever about general TV3 programming any BAI stuff behind the paywall is disgraceful!

All Setanta s&v programming is behind a paywall, that is exactly my point.

All Setanta s&v programming is behind a paywall, that is exactly my point.
    Yes but Setanta is not a Public Service Broadcaster with preferential EPG status on all platforms.

• Advertisement

Yes but Setanta is not a Public Service Broadcaster with preferential EPG status on all platforms.

And it shouldn't get s&v as it is a premium sports channel, would the BAI give funding to projects on Other premium services?

And it shouldn't get s&v as it is a premium sports channel, would the BAI give funding to projects on Other premium services?
    I suppose that's a matter for debate, I agree fully that by right all BAI funded programmes should be available on Saorview but Setanta doesn't have a PSB licence so it's not a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I suppose that's a matter for debate, I agree fully that by right all BAI funded programmes should be available on Saorview but Setanta doesn't have a PSB licence so it's not a requirement.

Its also a separate issue and argument.

The Tv3 issue is that an Irish licensed free to air operator has given their output to Sky, who are charging Irish Customers extra for it. This is in breach of Section 77 of the legislation.

Technically neither do UTV Ireland, designated as a PSB is different.

Technically neither do UTV Ireland, designated as a PSB is different.
    UTVi got a special dispensation to go on Saorview as far as I know - they are almost PSB-lite

UTVi got a special dispensation to go on Saorview as far as I know - they are almost PSB-lite

Which is what I said, UTV Ireland has Sound and Vision funding and a HD channel on both Sky and UPC. Setanta has Sound and Vision funing and is unavailable the majority of the time to most people in Pay TV land, it is not a public service broadcaster, it is not available to 70% of the population, it is not free to air and it therefore should not get S&V indeed Channel 6/3e were not allowed get S&V until it went on to Saorview. Imagine OfCom giving Sky a portion of the License Fee to Sky Sports for Sky Sport 1 for marketing purposes!!!! There would be uproar.

Back to TV3 notice that David McWilliams is on RTE ONE this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Tv3HD is live on sky channel 103 with tv3sd on channel 273..

pegasus1 wrote: »
    With or without HD package?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

With or without HD package?

As we have the Hd package I dunno...took out the card to check...no dice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

As we have the Hd package I dunno...took out the card to check...no dice...
    Confirmed on another thread that its still behind the sky paywall :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

A friend of mine said its still SD leaving TV3 and is converted to HD for sky , so not really HD yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

A friend of mine said its still SD leaving TV3 and is converted afterwards to HD for sky , so not really proper HD yet.

New Channel - 11.343 V, 27.500, 2/3, DVB-S, QPSK.

"55210" - Showing 3e (SD) and clearing with Irish card, looks like TV3 might be launching 3e+1 perhaps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The Irish terrestrials will never be free to air on Astra - it would effectively end their ability to buy US content and rights to sports events outside Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

icdg wrote: »
    The Irish terrestrials will never be free to air on Astra - it would effectively end their ability to buy US content and rights to sports events outside Ireland.

TV3 HD should be FTA on Saorview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I think that's what Sam is getting at. Its a disgrace it is not on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

All Sound & Vision funded content should be on Saorview (and Saorsat).

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

New Channel - 11.343 V, 27.500, 2/3, DVB-S, QPSK.

"55210" - Showing 3e (SD) and clearing with Irish card, looks like TV3 might be launching 3e+1 perhaps.

Say what you like about TV3, but at least for Sky customers, we have TV3 HD, TV3+1 and now it looks like 3e+1 could be coming, while there is no RTE1 HD or RTE1+1 or RTE2+1 or RTE News Now. While the plus "1s" are not of any great significance, the lack of RTE1 HD on Sky is a disgrace. I know its on Saorview, but you cant record or series link it, due to there being no decent Saorview PVR available. In this day and age, the only way to view TV is via HD, anything else is blurry vision. Hence my viewing of RTE1 is diminishing by the day, if I cant watch live via HD on Saorview, I generally dont watch RTE1 at all. Seeing that we are led to believe that Sky give a free ride to the Irish channels, why isnt RTE pushing Sky for RTE1 HD ? Whatever about the quality of their actual programming, well done to TV3 for squeezing the most out of SKY, we might even see 3e HD for the RWC.

Advertisement