Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

iseegirls wrote: »
    Was expecting them to put it on in August at 7pm to rest The Seven O'Clock Show. 10pm is an odd time, but I feel they haven't much else to show, and are awaiting September to start any new shows.

Maybe testing it out to see if they start it there in September. I still think 8.30 and 9.30 on Sunday is it's best spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Maybe testing it out to see if they start it there in September. I still think 8.30 and 9.30 on Sunday is it's best spot.

Omnibus following xfactor on Sunday nights

7pm or 6pm for summer repeats

Interview with John Malone in tomorrow's sbp

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Elmo wrote: »
    Up and down average of 151,000 but final had 225,000 in total.

Red Rock at 10pm is too late IMO interesting to see how it does.
    Yet TV3 are reporting figures that are considerably higher.

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/tv-news/172757/Massive-numbers-tune-in-to-Big-Brother-Final-on-TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

byte wrote: »

The article you link to says "With an average of 224,700 viewers across the episode" same as Elmo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Looks like testing for TV3HD could very well be getting underway -

11.758 H, 29.500, 3/4, DVB-S2, QPSK.

Channel showing up as "3881" and carrying EPG data for 'TV3'... picture seems to be Sky Premier and its only opening with an Irish HD card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭iseegirls

irishfeen wrote: »
    Looks like testing for TV3HD could very well be getting underway

Good news.

I see they've replaced Tonight With Vincent Browne with The Late Review next week. Wonder will it be a different set, or just the same as the Tonight With.. one. Odd move. Before they used to just update the name during the summer to Tonight With Tom McGurk.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Interview with John Malone in tomorrow's sbp

Finally got around to reading it, there's no clear indications of what plan, if any, he has for TV3, other than to confirm that it becomes part of Virgin Media for reporting purposes.

Indeed a piece in last week's Sunday Times speculates that there is no plan for TV3 - that it has practically no synergies with any other part of Malone's communications businesses, no content worth distributing beyond Ireland, and its FTA status prevents it from being a selling point for UPC. The implication is that it is just another part of Malone's buying of assets in "the old country" and there really is no strategy behind it.

Lot of upheaval with TV3's schedule this weekend, after changes were made this morning.

Fri: Films Man About Dog and 16 Blocks replaces Red Rock Rewind and Film The Cabin.

Sat: Family Films Beethoven's 2nd and Big Momma's House in the afternoon replaces Paternity Court, Airline, The Algorithm
    Transformers: DOTM replaces Waking Ned, and Jack Taylor moves from 11pm to 1am.

Sun: Night At the Museum 2 replaces All Star Mr And Mrs and Dublin Airport.
    Daniel o'Donnell and Film The Mighty Celt replaces Film Premiere Snitch

Mon: Brendan Grace Funny Man replaces Derek Ryan Live

Tue: The Town Travellers Took Over takes over Ireland's Black Widows

That's most of the changes anyway. Can't quite understand why they make such a huge change especially with listings gone out in the weekly magazines in RTE Guide, TV Now, and most of the weekend TV guides in the papers would have printed by now.

In other TV3 related news, from the Indo:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/tv3-bidders-parent-liberty-global-ups-stake-in-broadcaster-itv-to-99pc-31417739.html

Liberty Global have increased their stake in ITV to 9.9%

Unknown whether this would ever help the soaps come back to TV3 in the future once UTVi's contract finishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Is tv3 getting HD for the Rugby world cup? Some disaster if they dont. I dont really mind standard definition but TV3 have some ****e quality for matches. Will be watching on BBC if they dont have HD which I wouldnt like to do but they have HD man.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

deadybai wrote: »
    Is tv3 getting HD for the Rugby world cup? Some disaster if they dont. I dont really mind standard definition but TV3 have some ****e quality for matches. Will be watching on BBC if they dont have HD which I wouldnt like to do but they have HD man.

You will have a job watching the WRC on BBC, it is on ITV.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

You will have a job watching the WRC on BBC, it is on ITV.:)

And don't plan on watching it on UTV Ireland either - cos it won't be there Ah, looking forward to rewatching Man About Dog, 16 Blocks and Brendan Grace: Funny Man - it's been days since they last showed them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

why the sudden change? is there a new programme scheduler or something?

Liberty Global stake to 9.9%, no, it might help get them a seat on the ITV board after the next AGM but certainly not the type of management control that would let them dictate policy at that level.

TV3 HD is happening and should be on Sky and UPC at some point in the next six weeks or so (but Saorview viewers are out of luck).

why the sudden change? is there a new programme scheduler or something?

Most of those changes make no sense really. Red Rock Rewind didn't appear in last weeks top 20, so maybe they are going to wind down the repeating of it. But bringing in films which have been shown numerous times seems odd over premieres of Snitch and The Cabin.

3e did a movie weekend a few weeks ago - around 5 films on Saturday from 11am-9pm and then 7 next day from 8am-9pm (with 5 of the films shown on Saturday also shown on Sunday) And then they went back to their normal schedule for the following weeks. Very strange. Maybe the rights on some of those films are ending and they are squeezing every last drop out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Tomorrow is the Competition Authority's Phase 1 deadline for any third parties who wish to make submissions regarding the competition aspects of the acquisition of TV3 by Liberty Global

http://www.ccpc.ie/enforcement/mergers/merger-notices/m15039-liberty-global-tv3

The Cush wrote: »
    Tomorrow is the Competition Authority's Phase 1 deadline for any third parties who wish to make submissions regarding the competition aspects of the acquisition of TV3 by Liberty Global

http://www.ccpc.ie/enforcement/mergers/merger-notices/m15039-liberty-global-tv3

Mine
    Careful consideration should be given to the proposed acquisition of TV3 by Liberty Global, the owners of Ireland's Largest Cable network (UPC Ireland).

Some consideration needs to be given to the regulation of UPC Ireland's Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) and the use of its set top box for TV3 content. Clear lines must be drawn to insure that the owner of the Platform (UPC Ireland) and the Broadcaster (TV3) does not infringe on competition from other Irish Broadcasters such as state owned RTÉ and TG4 and Independent broadcasters such as Setanta, Irish TV and UTV Ireland.

Indeed some prerequisites may needed to be issued to insure that Irish broadcasters are provided with access to the UPC network, indeed Irish TV remains off the network at this time, and it would seem unfair on that service to prevent it entering the cable market, when this acquisition takes place.

Meanwhile it seems that TV3 HD will only be available on Pay platforms (such UPC and Sky). Such an arrangement preventing TV3 HD content on Saorview could be seen as anti-competitive to the free-to-air network provider 2RN. Indeed 2RN also provide a satellite service called Saorsat, which TV3 have yet to appear on. It may be time that TV3 as the national commercial public service broadcaster begin appearing in HD on both 2RN services or in HD on at least Saorview. The CCPC should also take note of TV3 opposition to RTÉ 2 HD, when it was proposed by RTÉ in 2010, indeed the acquisition of ("hoovering up of") pan-European sporting rights by Eurosport (and its connection with Liberty Global) should also be taken into consideration.

Liberty Global's entry to the free to air market may provide other issues with the broadcasting market. Indeed TV3's CEO has on several occasions argued that more services from RTÉ would put pressure on TV3's share of the audience, indeed it seemed that former minister for Communications, Pat Rabbitte, looked likely to prevent RTÉ from moving its RTÉjr programming from RTÉ2 because of TV3's arguments that it could take advertising money away from TV3. Again TV3 protested when UTV Ireland suggested entering the Irish Market on Saorview causing the Current minister to carry out a review of PSB in Ireland and thus designated UTV Ireland a public service broadcaster. Indeed TV3's particular anti-UTV Ireland campaign may suggested making life more difficult for UTV Ireland on the UPC Platform.

The BAI will need to insure that UPC's EPG is regulated under Irish and EU law, and must publish guidelines to prevent such pressure on TV3's competitors. This may involve moving UTV Ireland from its current 110 position to 105 or 107, any attempted by UPC to move a TV3 channels into 105 or 107 (currently Setanta Ireland and RTÉ 1 +1) must be consider by the regulators.

I finish by quoting TV3's CEO David McRedmond when DCERN called for submission on the creation of several new RTÉ channels in 2010, he said "Diversity and plurality are essential attributes of broadcasting for the public in a modern democracy and the existence of a commercial broadcast sector is imperative to ensure that the public can avail of an entirely independent television service."

Indeed TV3 went on to say that there was no apparent demand for a RTÉ 1+1 channel and then proceed to provide a +1 channel on pay TV only.

There is an inevitability that this acquisition will take place. With that in mind both the BAI and ComReg must be willing to regulate in such a market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭political analyst

Mine
    In your quote, RTÉ is described as state-owned. For Pete's sake, RTÉ is not like the national broadcasters in Egypt, Iran, Russia and China.

RTÉ is a semi-state organisation. That gives it at least a notional form of independence.

In your quote, RTÉ is described as state-owned. For Pete's sake, RTÉ is not like the national broadcasters in Egypt, Iran, Russia and China.

RTÉ is a semi-state organisation. That gives it at least a notional form of independence.

I think both TG4 and RTÉ are state owned, rather than the state broadcasters.

• Advertisement

The word "semi-state" are themselves usually inaccurate. It is a term only used in Ireland and I am not sure where it came from, it doesn't appear in any legislation. Practically all the "semi-state" companies are in 100% state ownership, historically there were a few with minority private share holdings (ACC, ICC, and for a while what was then Telecom) but I can't off the top of my head name any at present. RTE is a board whose members are appointed by - and can be dismissed by - the Government of the day. That is the legal form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

icdg wrote: »
    The word "semi-state" are themselves usually inaccurate. It is a term only used in Ireland and I am not sure where it came from, it doesn't appear in any legislation. Practically all the "semi-state" companies are in 100% state ownership, historically there were a few with minority private share holdings (ACC, ICC, and for a while what was then Telecom) but I can't off the top of my head name any at present. RTE is a board whose members are appointed by - and can be dismissed by - the Government of the day. That is the legal form.

Electric Ireland

Not even a legal entity of any form, just a brand name used by the ESB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

iseegirls wrote: »
    Lot of upheaval with TV3's schedule this weekend, after changes were made this morning.

Fri: Films Man About Dog and 16 Blocks replaces Red Rock Rewind and Film The Cabin.

Sat: Family Films Beethoven's 2nd and Big Momma's House in the afternoon replaces Paternity Court, Airline, The Algorithm
    Transformers: DOTM replaces Waking Ned, and Jack Taylor moves from 11pm to 1am.

Sun: Night At the Museum 2 replaces All Star Mr And Mrs and Dublin Airport.
    Daniel o'Donnell and Film The Mighty Celt replaces Film Premiere Snitch

Mon: Brendan Grace Funny Man replaces Derek Ryan Live

Tue: The Town Travellers Took Over takes over Ireland's Black Widows

That's most of the changes anyway. Can't quite understand why they make such a huge change especially with listings gone out in the weekly magazines in RTE Guide, TV Now, and most of the weekend TV guides in the papers would have printed by now.

The best news I heard all week. That overhyped overrated blond boyfolk entity they call Derek Ryan thankfully was not on last night afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

The best news I heard all week. That overhyped overrated blond boyfolk entity they call Derek Ryan thankfully was not on last night afterall.

Brendan Grace is not a funny man....and who the hell is Derek Ryan? No wonder I dont watch TV3/3e if that is whats on offer......a has been and a who is he :D

obezyana wrote: »
    Brendan Grace is not a funny man....and who the hell is Derek Ryan? No wonder I dont watch TV3/3e if that is whats on offer......a has been and a who is he :D

That Brendan Grace show was on quite a few bank holiday Mondays in recent times. Derek Ryan is an ex boyband member who now sings Irish country pop. You are lucky to have not heard him.

TV3 has got to be the channel I least watch. It is a poor man's RTE 2. Substandard fare and/or repeats seems to be all they have on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

That Brendan Grace show was on quite a few bank holiday Mondays in recent times. Derek Ryan is an ex boyband member who now sings Irish country pop. You are lucky to have not heard him.

TV3 has got to be the channel I least watch. It is a poor man's RTE 2. Substandard fare and/or repeats seems to be all they have on.

In my previous job I seen Brenda Grace live a fair few times and it was the most boring unfunny show I seen. It was full of old folks who loved giggling at his silly innuendos.

Derek Ryan I definitely have never heard of.....as you say maybe I am lucky :D

I dont mind watching the RTE channels as from time to time they have some interesting programmes. At least with RTE 1 & 2 the picture is watchable.

obezyana wrote: »
    In my previous job I seen Brenda Grace live a fair few times and I was the most boring unfunny show I seen. It was full of old folks who loved giggling at his silly innuendos.

Derek Ryan I definitely have never heard of.....as you say maybe I am lucky :D

I dont mind watching the RTE channels as from time to time they have some interesting programmes. At least with RTE 1 & 2 the picture is watchable.

Brendan Grace is just reusing old material like Bottler over and over and over again. He is played out. Although, he is not the only one. Most Irish comedy is poor and very limited I have found.

The RTE channels do have good programmes. TV3 and UTV Ireland are 2 very poor channels imo. It is all substandard filler inner.

You are lucky not to have heard of Derek Ryan. He is the type of awful new Irish country that is being promoted everywhere. He and Mike Denver have along with Louis Walsh done massive damage to music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Saw Collette Fitzpatrick interviewing George Hook in the VB show slot last night. My God, she was woeful!! I don't blame GH for rearing up at her. She is the epitome of tabloid journalist.

Advertisement