Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

irishfeen wrote: »
    Just found this from the BAI - http://www.bai.ie/?ddownload=128140

Looks like UTV Ireland has now obtained funding which would question the HD channel being behind the paywall.

TV3 have 3 so they would have questions to answer too.

Wonder how that funding works for setanta?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Elmo wrote: »
    Wonder how that funding works for setanta?
    Setanta broadcasts the programme it has got funding for FTV (like RTÉ) on sky - you don't need a servants subscription to watch it.

Setanta broadcasts the programme it has got funding for FTV (like RTÉ) on sky - you don't need a servants subscription to watch it.

How about catching the show on an actual Free platform?

Setanta is only FTV for those few minutes of the show.

Setanta is a premium service imagine Sky getting that funding

UPC going buying TV3... €80m

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

http://www.thejournal.ie/upc-buys-tv3-2197243-Jul2015/
    Deal done! Wonder could we see tv3 bidding for up coming sports rights such as premier league 3pm games?

• Advertisement

Joo0 wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/upc-buys-tv3-2197243-Jul2015/
    Deal done! Wonder could we see tv3 bidding for up coming sports rights such as premier league 3pm games?
    Big competition now for the new UTVI.. we could very well see UPC pushing this hard.

Big question is whether TV3 will remain,
    1. FTA
    2. On the Sky Platform

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Northern Ireland UTV will never come back to UPC.

Interesting times ahead at TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Big question is whether TV3 will remain,
    1. FTA
    2. On the Sky Platform

Yes and yes I would say. Making TV3 exclusive to UPC is not going to create new subscribers and if that was their plan why not just launch a new channel without paying €80 million

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Done deal 80 million to liberty. Seems to be a decent deal for liberty. All the take appeared to be a crazy 100 million + price range

I wonder will the TV3/3e name remain or will they change it to UPC or another... Big questions and certainly will be interesting.

• Advertisement

Done deal 80 million to liberty. Seems to be a decent deal for liberty. All the take appeared to be a crazy 100 million + price range

Yes the press should be ashamed to be mention press release figures on behalf of TV3 but sure what we expect when they write this
    TV3 is the number one channel in Ireland after public broadcaster RTÉ1 with an audience share of 12%.

3e and TV3 comnbined don't even get 12% and how is something/somebody number 1 after somebody or something?
    I wonder will the TV3/3e name remain or will they change it to UPC or another... Big questions and certainly will be interesting.

UPC is re-branding to Virgin. Unlikely that we will see Virgin 1 or Virgin 2.

Also the BAI will have to regulate UPC EPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Little wonder upc dumped utv northern ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Little wonder upc dumped utv northern ireland

They were told to by UTV. It was not their choice.

Yes the press should be ashamed to be mention press release figures on behalf of TV3 but sure what we expect when they write this

3e and TV3 comnbined don't even get 12% and how is something/somebody number 1 after somebody or something?

UPC is re-branding to Virgin. Unlikely that we will see Virgin 1 or Virgin 2.

Also the BAI will have to regulate UPC EPG.
    When is UPC re-branding to Virgin in Ireland? First I have heard of it.

When is UPC re-branding to Virgin in Ireland? First I have heard of it.

Towards the end of this year there's a thread on it in the cable forum, I am guessing it will coincide with the launch of the mobile offering.

Towards the end of this year there's a thread on it in the cable forum, I am guessing it will coincide with the launch of the mobile offering.
    Ah OK I didn't know that, could very well have a Virgin 1 & 2 as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,173 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Would be surprised if that happened, the Virgin brand has no traction in Ireland but UPC is well known.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Would be surprised if that happened, the Virgin brand has no traction in Ireland but UPC is well known.
    I suppose they could just keep the "TV3" name as its so well known - it will be interesting to see where UPC see the channel going into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

New owners (pending approval), more investment, what clout can UPC bring to the ailing channel?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/upc-ireland-buys-tv3-in-deal-worth-up-to-87-million-1.2272743

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah now nearly everyone will know the name even if its from something other than cable tv. Virgin Space flights, balloons, music retail, etc you name it Richard Branson has tried it over the last 35 years. All of that seeps into the psyche. So it wouldn't take much to make the Virgin name stick if they wanted to go down that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,389 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liberty Global the owners of UPC are probably going to rebrand UPC as Virgin which they also own so I would say they will bring a lot of clout to it when the rebrand happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Don't Liberty Global have a stake in ITV? Could TV3 get back ITV programming as a result of this? If so then it would be curtains for UTV Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Koloman wrote: »
    Don't Liberty Global have a stake in ITV?
    6.4%
    Last year, it acquired a 6.4 per cent stake in UK broadcaster ITV plc and it also became the co-owner of the “super-indie” production group All3Media, which in turn owns Company Pictures, the co-producer on TV3 soap Red Rock.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/upc-ireland-buys-tv3-in-deal-worth-up-to-87-million-1.2272743?

Koloman wrote: »
    Don't Liberty Global have a stake in ITV? Could TV3 get back ITV programming as a result of this? If so then it would be curtains for UTV Ireland.
    No, UTVI have signed a contract with ITV Studios for the rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Considering the links between Liberty Global, Discovery Channel, All3Media, John C. Malone and now TV3, on which channel will we be watching FTA coverage of Olympics 2020 I wonder?

The Cush wrote: »
    Considering the links between Liberty Global, Discovery Channel, All3Media and now TV3, on which channel will we be watching FTA coverage of Olympics 2020 I wonder?
    That was one of my first thoughts on the purchase ... Could very well see the 2020 Olympics on TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,173 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ah now nearly everyone will know the name even if its from something other than cable tv. Virgin Space flights, balloons, music retail, etc you name it Richard Branson has tried it over the last 35 years. All of that seeps into the psyche. So it wouldn't take much to make the Virgin name stick if they wanted to go down that route.

Most of these ventures ended in failure.

In Ireland there isn't the constant presence of ventures like Virgin Money, Virgin Trains, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Mobile. If people remember it at all it's a music store that closed down years ago.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

JDxtra wrote: »
    They were told to by UTV. It was not their choice.

Source?

UTV Say otherwise
    https://twitter.com/UTVIreland/status/552526192788901889

• Advertisement

Most of these ventures ended in failure.

In Ireland there isn't the constant presence of ventures like Virgin Money, Virgin Trains, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Mobile. If people remember it at all it's a music store that closed down years ago.

Lets point out that Virgin Media is owned by UPC (a Liberty Global company). UPC owns the rights to the brand Virgin Media, I think they recently renewed that deal with the owners of the brand.

Timelines

1999 Cablelink sold to NTL
    2005 NTL Ireland sold to Chorus owners UPC
    2006 NTL merged with Telewest later the same year with Virgin: NTL Telewest re-brand as Virgin Media
    2010 NTL Chorus re-brands to UPC Ireland
    2013 Liberty Global's UPC buys Virgin Media retaining the name

Advertisement