Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

L1011 wrote: »
    I could easily see a C5 Ireland ads stream on Sky and UPC in a while when more rights are sorted - RTL didn't care about Ireland but Viacom were one of the earliest to do Irish ad streams.
    Wouldn't surprise me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I was never sure why that deal couldn't have been done - no Irish platform officially carries Channel 5 and it is now on air seventeen years. My only rationales for it were that TV3 approached C5 who may not have been able to sublicence it under their deal with Endemol or that some sort of personality clash had occurred during negotiations (which can wreck otherwise logical deals).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    I was never sure why that deal couldn't have been done - no Irish platform officially carries Channel 5 and it is now on air seventeen years. My only rationales for it were that TV3 approached C5 who may not have been able to sublicence it under their deal with Endemol or that some sort of personality clash had occurred during negotiations (which can wreck otherwise logical deals).

I always thought it was because c5 was not too available via spillover and that the cable companies in Ireland were negotiating with other English channels at the time and RTL had said they had no interest in the irish market.

I'd be surprised if there was a personality clash as Ben Frow is head of c5 and jeff ford was head of c5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Ratings in for Red Rock

Average audience of 323,200 viewers and 18,000 on +1.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/film-news/red-rock-new-soap-reaches-4940981
    http://www.goss.ie/2015/01/tv3-celebrate-as-new-soap-red-rock-brings-in-as-many-viewers-as-emmerdale/

Great start up against some heavy competition of Operation Transformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

iseegirls wrote: »

This made me smile. By the end of the series the competition should be much lighter or the programme isn't doing it's job, ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

byte wrote: »
    MTV are running it a day later (twice if once wasn't enough), which does have Irish advertising opt-outs, maybe that's part of the reason.

It's the Sun always making up stuff to fill a gap...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

iseegirls wrote: »
    Ratings in for Red Rock

Average audience of 323,200 viewers and 18,000 on +1.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/film-news/red-rock-new-soap-reaches-4940981
    http://www.goss.ie/2015/01/tv3-celebrate-as-new-soap-red-rock-brings-in-as-many-viewers-as-emmerdale/

Thats a nice audience for tv3.

What were yer opinions on red rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

I was hoping that it would be a fresh take on a soap and after episode 2 I am very happy. Acting is quite good, characters are showing signs of good potential for development.
    Outside scenes are refreshing.
    Actually, I really wouldn't call it a soap, despite TV3 calling it such. Ok, it's not Love Hate, as it is pre watershed, but it certainly has potential.

Fair play to TV3 for giving it a go and supporting Irish jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    I was hoping that it would be a fresh take on a soap and after episode 2 I am very happy. Acting is quite good, characters are showing signs of good potential for development.
    Outside scenes are refreshing.
    Actually, I really wouldn't call it a soap, despite TV3 calling it such. Ok, it's not Love Hate, as it is pre watershed, but it certainly has potential.

Fair play to TV3 for giving it a go and supporting Irish jobs.

They have to be commended alright.

No shortage of ideas at the start of things though..

byte

It's the Sun always making up stuff to fill a gap...
    It's listed on the MTV website as part of their TV schedule, airing at both 14:00 and 19:00 daily.

http://www.mtv.co.uk/mtv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

It's listed on the MTV website as part of their TV schedule, airing at both 14:00 and 19:00 daily.

http://www.mtv.co.uk/mtv

On MTV UK, yes. Not on MTV Ireland, though. Instead, we're treated to repeats of Catfish and My Super Sweet 16. Disappointed as I have UPC and wouldn't mind watching a bit of it during the day.

How come C5 did a deal with MTV to show highlights but it couldn't be shown in Ireland?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

smurfs5 wrote: »
    On MTV UK, yes. Not on MTV Ireland, though. Instead, we're treated to repeats of Catfish and My Super Sweet 16. Disappointed as I have UPC and wouldn't mind watching a bit of it during the day.

How come C5 did a deal with MTV to show highlights but it couldn't be shown in Ireland?

C5 and MTV are the same firm; so there'd be a lot less "deal" to it.

If its not being shown in Ireland they obviously intended to sell it to someone else, and failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

When did MTV UK and Ireland start getting different programming?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Do not worry, TV3 will repeat it twice and 3E will repeat it another two times, before it is released in box-set format.

You will not miss a minute - even if you try.:)

Do not worry, TV3 will repeat it twice and 3E will repeat it another two times, before it is released in box-set format.

You will not miss a minute - even if you try.:)

What programme are you talking about?

What programme are you talking about?

Retorical question? Red Rock. It's repeated at 8 on 3E AFAIK

Elmo wrote: »
    Retorical question? Red Rock. It's repeated at 8 on 3E AFAIK

No, I was genuinely confused. People were talking about Celebrity Big Brother. Red Rock hadn't been mentioned for a few posts and Sam's post made no reference to it.

byte

smurfs5 wrote: »

Wow, I didn't realise MTV Ireland had a different schedule to MTV UK&NI. (my NI sub shows it alright). In that case, they should've lapped up the TV3 dosh that was allegedly being offered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No, I was genuinely confused. People were talking about Celebrity Big Brother. Red Rock hadn't been mentioned for a few posts and Sam's post made no reference to it.

The last TV3 programme mentioned on this thread prior to my comment was Red Rock, which had been the basis of may posts. There were links to the MTV schedule but no mention of what the link was for, so I assumed it was a reference to Red Rock since that was the discussion. Do not worry about Red Rock as TV3 will go out of their way to give you plenty of opportunities to see it on one repeat or another one, as well as many opportunities to see more repeats on 3E just in case you missed it on TV3.

Obviously I must concentrate more and not assume people are following what is actually being discussed on thread.

Obviously I must concentrate more and not assume people are following what is actually being discussed on thread.

Yes, unfortunately this thread has become so big and rambling that it has become necessary to be specific regarding programmes. The four posts previous to yours were about Celebrity Big Brother (which is not being shown on TV3). Many other programmes have been discussed on the thread recently including The Restaurant, Champions League etc, so assuming that other people will know what you're talking about is a recipe for confusion.

• Advertisement

Yes, unfortunately this thread has become so big and rambling that it has become necessary to be specific regarding programmes. The four posts previous to yours were about Celebrity Big Brother (which is not being shown on TV3). Many other programmes have been discussed on the thread recently including The Restaurant, Champions League etc, so assuming that other people will know what you're talking about is a recipe for confusion.

They may have been discussing zlist-Celebrity Big Brother but they never mentioned it by name within their discussion.

In my defence, the last Programme mentioned was the TV3 flag-ship Red Rock.

byte

Heh, having looked over the past number of posts, including my own, you're quite right, there's no mention of CBB.

Apologies for any confusion.

Irish sun had a splash today about tv3 offering c5/endemol 1million for big brother. C5 said no as it gets too many irish viewers for c5. The last part I can't figure out as they dont sell irish ads and aren't even on upc for them to not allow tv3 to show it.

See above, I think the confusion may have happened when a thread about CBB possibly being on TV3 was merged with this one.

Anyhow, back to the general topic - TV3, isn't it just great, ha ha! Although the introduction of UTV Ireland and the loss of the UK soaps does seem to have improved the station in my eyes. Of course that may be because I don't like Corrie or Emerdale.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No merge, it just kinda came up in the thread. I don't mind if there are specific threads for specific programmes though to be honest Television may be a better place for programme specific threads.

icdg wrote: »
    No merge, it just kinda came up in the thread. I don't mind if there are specific threads for specific programmes though to be honest Television may be a better place for programme specific threads.

I was thinking that. I think cbb came up but I just assumed the ref was to red rock as TV3 tend to repeat and promo big show constantly and the fact that TV3 did not get CBB.

Back to TV3 in 2015 I think it looks like there front loading there schedule and this will prob start to slow down as we get to summer and the at the end of the year they have xfactor and RWC. It seems like a good strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

They keep playing ant and decs Saturday night takeaway from last year to fill the schedule. I didn't even think the had the rights anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

They probably have rights to the older seasons still.

Yes they did say that they have rights until mid-2016

Though why you'd want Jeremy Kyle across TV3, +1, 3e and UTVI is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Wow, I didn't realise MTV Ireland had a different schedule to MTV UK&NI. (my NI sub shows it alright). In that case, they should've lapped up the TV3 dosh that was allegedly being offered.
    Pure speculation - but maybe the price TV3 were prepared to pay and the royalties production company Endemol wanted for Ireland rights didn't make it worth their while (nor did covering it themselves on MTV (Ireland))?

As both the MTV and '5' suite of channels are part of the Viacom group - so no internal rights issues...

• Advertisement

They are showing each episode of RedRock three times on TV3 and once on 3E.

Advertisement